• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Let danny townsend know he is a stooge

Yorkshire Mariners FC

Frank Lampard sums it up with eerily similar comments:
"We've lost a point because of a professional who cannot do his job right. You start searching for whys and I can't think why. It is so incompetent to get it wrong.

"Pep [Guardiola] will know, Everton fans will know, Man City fans will know, it was the clearest penalty you could give: arm is out -- great, below the sleeve -- great, I was waiting for the penalty.

"Incompetence at best, at worst who knows? I'll wait for the statement or apology they do when things are wrong but it will mean nothing.
"

Tevor

Frank Lampard sums it up with eerily similar comments:
"We've lost a point because of a professional who cannot do his job right. You start searching for whys and I can't think why. It is so incompetent to get it wrong.

"Pep [Guardiola] will know, Everton fans will know, Man City fans will know, it was the clearest penalty you could give: arm is out -- great, below the sleeve -- great, I was waiting for the penalty.

"Incompetence at best, at worst who knows? I'll wait for the statement or apology they do when things are wrong but it will mean nothing.
"
That is exactly how we all feel. Thanks for posting.

Tevor

The only two possibilities so far discussed is incompetence and corruption. What about plain, simple bias. I am sure refs mix together at their training after matches etc. It only takes one to develop some form of hate against a team for a perceived slight. Maybe Monty, when he was playing, or Matty upset one of them by a comment that caused them to lose face (real or just perceived) and they have hated CCM ever since. Talking to your mates can spread that bias.
It can even be at a subconscious level.
How many here if they were refereeing a game and came across a 50/50 decision involving, for example Kevin Muscat, could give the decision his favour? You could probably honestly justify your decision and even believe it yourself. But would it be totally unbiased?
It would not be easy, even for the most ethical among us.
Yep I can get 50/50 calls and bias and you are right but these two decisions were not 50/50 calls I'm afraid. Knowing he could make those decisions with no serious ramifications is the problem the league has with the officials. It was a gift to the APL to try and fix it and change peoples perceptions but they have done nothing just like FA before them.

I see an administration now more reliant on TV $$$ then ever before in A league history. All they want to do is make sure the big teams stay happy and relevant and keep the crowd numbers high and scheduling every game of the season within the broadcast time frame no matter if it suits the fans or not. At least FA had the national teams, world cup $$$'s, grass roots etc also contributing to funding the A League. The APL only has one source of guaranteed income and they want every dollar of it and who cares about the minnows who might get in the way. Now that must be that fan engagement they are talking about.

Time will tell if splitting from FA was a good idea. I have a feeling the A league hasn't hit rock bottom yet and can it recover to be what these APL dreamers think they can make it. I'm doubting they can from what I've seen so far.

turbo

It was a gift to the APL to try and fix it and change peoples perceptions but they have done nothing just like FA before them.
You know the APL doesn't employ the refs right? There's only so much in their power here.

All they want to do is make sure the big teams stay happy and relevant and keep the crowd numbers high and scheduling every game of the season within the broadcast time frame no matter if it suits the fans or not
We've got more Saturday games than we've had in a long time, Victory is also shunted to a 5pm slot next week with us and the biggest club in the league fanbase wise at least. Nix and Jets arent exactly powerhouses of the league if you think its driven by some big club bias. I can't explain the decision but I doubt thats the reason.

At least FA had the national teams, world cup $$$'s, grass roots etc also contributing to funding the A League.
Think you've got your money flowing in the wrong direction there. Where's the big FFA investment in the league? It was on rations for a long time there and neglected, exploited for an expansion club cash grab. The FFA had their chance and the reign of Lowy jr ran it in to the ground.

Tevor

You know the APL doesn't employ the refs right? There's only so much in their power here.

We've got more Saturday games than we've had in a long time, Victory is also shunted to a 5pm slot next week with us and the biggest club in the league fanbase wise at least. Nix and Jets arent exactly powerhouses of the league if you think its driven by some big club bias. I can't explain the decision but I doubt thats the reason.

Think you've got your money flowing in the wrong direction there. Where's the big FFA investment in the league? It was on rations for a long time there and neglected, exploited for an expansion club cash grab. The FFA had their chance and the reign of Lowy jr ran it in to the ground.
Yes I know they don't employ the Referees however FA is essentially a service provider to the League. So if the APL is in a position that they cannot influence their service provider (which may explain why nothing as happened) then they are in a pretty poor state to properly run the comp. This means Evans, Ams, Fielding and any other bias F Wit can do what they please. Probably why King didn't do us any favours against the Reds, all he wanted to do was make sure there were no contentious decisions.

The scheduling isn't about big team bias, it is about them shoving the games in anywhere they can just to make sure the whole season is played within certain dates. I'm sure if they cut a few rounds short CBN would want some money back for a short season.

This lot don't appear to be any improvement on FA at all. FA had more sources of income than just Fox and that is a fact. APL only has the TV rights and look how good that is.

turbo

So if the APL is in a position that they cannot influence their service provider (which may explain why nothing as happened) then they are in a pretty poor state to properly run the comp.
And you know that they haven't pushed to stand Evans down or said they dont want him back any time soon? Just because its not public doesnt mean it hasnt happened. The proof either way is what we see on the pitch. If he's back in the middle this weekend then yeah you're right it's a problem.

It's just like a business wouldnt necessarily fire someone because a client requests it, that person may not work for the client again or at least for a long time but the client cant force the firing especially if the supplier has a monopoly in their area like FA does with refs. Now you could argue the APL should employ their own refs and that may well be an option for the future but it could easily introduce more questions about influence.

Ancient Mariner

Time will tell if splitting from FA was a good idea. I have a feeling the A league hasn't hit rock bottom yet and can it recover to be what these APL dreamers think they can make it. I'm doubting they can from what I've seen so far.
I am starting to fear that you are correct and that football in this country is yet again going through another of its rinse, repeat, fail, rinse repeat cycles.
I have seen too much money wasted, rubbish coverage, incompetence everywhere, falling crowds, owners with a product they are stuck with, and despondent fans. It is starting to have a similar feel to the dying days of the NSL.
Add to that the clubs are artificial constructs, not clubs that have been built on a foundation of identity and years of evolution.

Last edited:

FFC Mariner

The A-league has been dealt some cruel blows with covid.
I am worried that it will prove too much for it to survive.

Sorry, I am usually the positive one in these discussions, but find it hard to see any rosy future.
But he;'s a nice bloke - useless dud propped up by tainted Russian money but nice bloke.

Wombat

Sorry, I am usually the positive one in these discussions, but find it hard to see any rosy future.

The rosy future is the global dominance of the game we love. The rosy future is kids in the street kicking Footballs around and not Steeden Rugby Balls like in the past.
The rosy future is the amount of people playing our game.
The rosy future is that the A League is already shown around the world.

The Refs have always been sub standard. Paramount will lift their game and the game will definitely blossom.

Continue to be positive Ancient.

Ancient Mariner

The rosy future is the global dominance of the game we love. The rosy future is kids in the street kicking Footballs around and not Steeden Rugby Balls like in the past.
The rosy future is the amount of people playing our game.
The rosy future is that the A League is already shown around the world.

The Refs have always been sub standard. Paramount will lift their game and the game will definitely blossom.

Continue to be positive Ancient.
?
Will definitely be attending more NPL games at Pluim and Normanhurst Eagles at Harris Park over the next 12 months..

Corsair

The refs are the most important people on the field.

When they're cheating there is no game.

Ozhammer

Perhaps FA could release the audio or a transcript of the exchange between Evans and KGJ in relation to both incidents, as that might shed some light on the process undertaken.

Unlikely I know but it might quell some of the disquiet and potentially put some of the darker theories to rest. Alternatively, it could blow open the whole can of worms and reflect poorly on FA and it’s officials.

After all, the first step in fixing any problem is admitting that you have a problem isn’t it?

Kilsin

Perhaps FA could release the audio or a transcript of the exchange between Evans and KGJ in relation to both incidents, as that might shed some light on the process undertaken.
This would go a long way but as you said, very unlikely.

FFC Mariner

Unlikely I know but it might quell some of the disquiet and potentially put some of the darker theories to rest. Alternatively, it could blow open the whole can of worms and reflect poorly on FA and it’s officials.

After all, the first step in fixing any problem is admitting that you have a problem isn’t it?
Shaun, mate. It's 2m outside the box.

Hang on I've already banked the cash

bikinigirl

KGJ: Sean, if you move your finger off the screen you will see clear contact as Leckie stomps on Miller's foot

Evans: Kris, i can't hear you unless i put my finger to my ear ... and i can't move my finger off the screen because people might see there is clear contact ... and then i would have to send Leckie off ... and then he wouldn't be able to score the winner against all those ex-mariners at Sydney ... and i hate them almost as much as the current crop ... but i can't be obvious with them 'cos i'll lose my job ...

<several minutes later>

Evans to PK: What was that Paddy? Hurry up I'm making it too obvious? Drawing too much attention? Oh don't worry you'll be sweet ... i just needed to let Kris know ... again ... he can be a bit slow on the uptake that one

Monty to Evans: excuse me Sir but do you know what you are doing? do you know there is a football game supposedly taking place here?

Evans to Monty: i'll do whatever the f**k i want and take as long as i want ... and there is nothing you can do about it ... and just to prove it, here, have a yellow

<Jess shakes his head>

Evans to Jess: what you don't believe me? here ya go, have a red ... now you can f**k right off ... and i'll f**k your dog Rodney as well

Evans (to the camera as he walks away): f**king Mariners and their f**king insistence on the rules ... no cheating blah, blah, blah ... they can all get f**ked ... don't they know who i am ... don't they know who pays me

Note: the above post is not necessarily a true representation of what was said but may be suitable for cathartic purposes ... or it may re-ignite repressed feelings and lead to more anger and sleepless nights ... maybe it'll fire people up for tomorrow's game

Tevor

I’ve been liking the fact numerous commentators keep mentioning that game I have chosen to forget. It’s been a slow burner and I’ve been somewhat surprised by the support. However its not that surprising as that game was and is being recognised as a serious problem for the league. But only by every one else except those good blokes at the APL.

Wombat

KGJ: Sean, if you move your finger off the screen you will see clear contact as Leckie stomps on Miller's foot

Evans: Kris, i can't hear you unless i put my finger to my ear ... and i can't move my finger off the screen because people might see there is clear contact ... and then i would have to send Leckie off ... and then he wouldn't be able to score the winner against all those ex-mariners at Sydney ... and i hate them almost as much as the current crop ... but i can't be obvious with them 'cos i'll lose my job ...

<several minutes later>

Evans to PK: What was that Paddy? Hurry up I'm making it too obvious? Drawing too much attention? Oh don't worry you'll be sweet ... i just needed to let Kris know ... again ... he can be a bit slow on the uptake that one

Monty to Evans: excuse me Sir but do you know what you are doing? do you know there is a football game supposedly taking place here?

Evans to Monty: i'll do whatever the f**k i want and take as long as i want ... and there is nothing you can do about it ... and just to prove it, here, have a yellow

<Jess shakes his head>

Evans to Jess: what you don't believe me? here ya go, have a red ... now you can f**k right off ... and i'll f**k your dog Rodney as well

Evans (to the camera as he walks away): f**king Mariners and their f**king insistence on the rules ... no cheating blah, blah, blah ... they can all get f**ked ... don't they know who i am ... don't they know who pays me

Note: the above post is not necessarily a true representation of what was said but may be suitable for cathartic purposes ... or it may re-ignite repressed feelings and lead to more anger and sleepless nights ... maybe it'll fire people up for tomorrow's game
His Dog Rodney......bahaha. Love you BG. We have since learned his dog is Roderick not Rodney.

You should write crime Novels Julie.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred