• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Gumps to play for Bankstown City in State Premier League

dibo

keensy said:
Article about the situation in the Express today, my opinion from reading it is that he has no cause for complaint as he signed the contract variation removing the 4th year clause.

Gumprecht, 33, is taking legal action against the club for being denied a fourth year at the Mariners after being persuaded to sign the contract variation.

persuaded? he's going to have to prove some sort of coercion or duress. if he signed it willingly, then its effect will only be limited by the extent to which the variation itself is valid. see below.

keensy said:
"On November 26, Lawrie McKinna told me I was not part of the club's plans for next season," Gumprecht said. "I remember because it was my birthday."

violin4qi3.gif

keensy said:
The option to extend the contract for a year was to become available after Gumprecht played 15 games last season but he signed the contract variation after 10 games. Gumprecht has received a legal opinion suggesting the contract variation is invalid.

that's all well and good, and will be tested in court. if he wins, the club screwed up and they will likely be asked to pay compo. what ramifications this may have on salary caps etc. may have to be sorted with the FFA. gut feeling (not a lawyer so can't offer a proper legal opinion) for me is that it will be treated as buying him out of his contract, and therefore impact the cap.

my guess on the whole matter is it's down to money as much as anything else. gumps will have been on a fair bit of coin, but as other players have developed in the middle of the park it's become clear in lawrie's view that there are better uses for that amount of cap. had gumps been willing to cop a pretty hefty pay cut (commensurate with his drop to squad player from leading man of the midfield) this hubbub may have been avoided.

that would seem to me to fit in with lyall's comments - the door seems to still be slightly ajar there, but gumps is going to have to take a bit of a hit i suspect. lawrie however may not be so keen.

mustapha_beer

promdi442 said:
mustapha_beer said:
Also, a shame Gumps went to Bankstown and not the mighty Demons.....nae taste, that boy!

Gumps may not be thinking going to the Lions over the Demons was a shame. . Bankstown without Gumps whacked the Demonic Blacktown 4-0. Maybe he has good taste after all.  ;D

Curses to you Bankstown!!!!!      :redcard:

bikinigirl

. i think its quite obvious he would not have reached the 15 games if he hadn't changed the contract - it would be difficult to argue otherwise

. he signed the variation to get more game time and impress would-be suitors, the fact that his most likely suitors didn't make the cut for the upcoming season is the complicating factor

. bridges seem to be well and truly burnt but if gumpy had accepted his fate and sought a lesser deal it may have been easier on everybody (win-win-win?)

kevrenor

More news with Gumps at Bankstown Lions! Note also mention of James Monie ex Coasties, and Michael Lloyd-Green (trained-on with Mariners in season 1, and son of a bid Director)
-----------------------------------------------------

Monie won't get easy ride from old club

John Greco

17 May 2008

HE spent three and a half years at Manly United spilling blood for the club, helping gain promotion to the Premier League and becoming a favourite of the Cromer Park faithful.

But there will be no time for sentiment when James Monie returns to the peninsula tomorrow for the first time since his sacking at the beginning of the year.

His Bankstown side are languishing in ninth place and the former Newcastle Jets striker has fired a warning to the peninsula club they are ready to start their push up the ladder.

"United are doing well, but we've got a good side and I think we can start to turn our year around (tomorrow)," Monie said last night.

"My form's been OK but I'd like to get a few more goals now.

"It's always good playing against your old club there's bit of extra motivation there.

"We're not travelling too well and we need to get a few wins in a row to kick-start our season. This would be a great place to do it."

But he can expect no favours from his former club.

United lead the league at the halfway mark of the season and have no intention of taking their foot off the pedal.

"We won eight games in the first round, why not aim for nine? "I'd like to think we can notch that many wins. It's a good challenge but one I think we're up to," coach Phil Moss said.

United, who won 3-0 in the first encounter between the two teams, are likely to name an unchanged line-up to the team that beat Macarthur last weekend.

Midfielder Michael Lloyd-Green (knee) is back to full fitness but is likely to start on the bench.

The Lions have been boosted in recent weeks with the acquisition of former Central Coast Mariners terrier Andre Gumprecht.

Tomorrow's match kicks off at 3pm.

Cromer Park is hosting an under-10 Junior Gala Day tomorrow from 10.30am with the final t

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred