• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Grand Final

finally retired

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/brisbane-roars-grand-final-winning-coach-ange-postecoglou-announces-he-will-leave-the-club/story-e6frf4gl-1226337136069

Ange Postecoglou has finally ended speculation about his coaching future and will leave Brisbane Roar after their grand final success on Sunday.

Postecoglou, who has steered the Roar to back-to-back grand final wins, has been constantly linked to the Melbourne Victory coaching gig in recent months.

He hinted after the grand final that he was looking for another challenge after his success at Suncorp Stadium, and it is believed his next move will be revealed later this week.

The early favourite for the Roar post is his assistant coach, Rado Vidosic.

Ange Clearly disgusted about Berisha's dive/penalty decision/general antics

Bex

This continues to be a major scourge on the game of football.

I'm filled with frustration that the governing bodies allow divers to get away with it week in week out. It empowers players to continue to play for the wrong ruling. And as a direct result, our showpiece game of the season is marred. It was a brilliant game up until that point.

Now I'm just feeling sick. What a horrible way for Perth to lose. And how can Brisbane hold their heads up as winners of the championship? I would be hanging it in shame if I were them.

Fix it FFA. Seriously. For the good of the game.

Well, I'm feeling a bit sheepish right now. I think I'm going to have to change my mind on the refereeing that awarded the spot kick.

I just went over to www.foxsports.com.au and watched the video "Why it was a penalty". I have to admit, I haven't been sure whether there was a very small touch to Berisha's left leg, but figured if it was a very small touch then how much of a problem could it be? The problem is, the very small touch on Berisha's calf moved his left leg just enough that his left foot came down on top of the ball thus kicking it away from his right foot and thus the air swing.

It seems it was actually an impressive piece of refereeing in the end. :ashamed:

I recommend everyone who was upset by the decision watch the video and make up their own mind. The contact on Berisha's calf is perhaps a little unclear, but such contact fully explains why Berisha almost stood on the ball and sent it clear of his right foot. I'm interested to hear other people's thoughts.

In light of the above, Berisha's actions in claiming a penalty could be appropriate. I hate the way players exagerate falling over after they've been fouled, but Berisha is certainly not the only one who does that.

Unfortunately, it seems he was coming back from an offside position moments before, so whatever impressive refereeing there was spotting the penalty is ruined by a missed off-side by both the referee and the linesman :fireup:

Okay, so no thoughts on the subject. I'll just crawl back into my hole then..... :blink:

Wombat

Not a penalty in a million years. It's not a non contact sport. Would that have been a free kick anywhere else on the pitch....I'd suggest not.....so I'd suggest it was a ridiculous penalty.

Mumbles

Still hate the prick.
A player with his success could show some humility and good sportsmanship to set an example for the kids.
He doesn't belong in our game.

pjennings

I'm not going to enter the conversation about the penalty. My issue is at a far more pervasive level.

Whenever the Socceroos play in Asia, or in a World Cup we constantly hear about the physical nature of the team. This is done by the media, players and particularly the managers against who they play. When the game is underway 50/50 challenges where there is no foul are judged to be Socceroo fouls. If an opposition player goes down a foul is given, if a Socceroo is fouled - nothing.

Ange has pulled the same con job. He has made every other team the Socceroos. These teams are nowhere near as skilful as his teams and shouldn't be on the pitch. If something happens it must be their fault. The media believes it, the refs believe it and the Roar fans certainly believe it.

I noticed at about 33 minutes into the Grand Final that the foul count was 7-2. It should have been 3-3. That may not sound like a big difference but it can change the flow of the game. The first 6-7 minutes of the Grand Final were dominated by Brisbane, then Brisbane were awarded two fouls where the Roar players ran into Glory players contesting the ball. These at worst were non-fouls - I would have given one the other way. After these consecutive fouls Brisbane started to get into the game. Later, just before I saw the foul cont a Brisbane player clattered into the back of a Glory player and the subsequent foul somehow went to the Roar.

I am utterly sick to death with the officiating that only sanctions one team. To me it is a greater blight on the game than diving, to the extent that it is in Australia, is.

Mumbles

I'm not going to enter the conversation about the penalty. My issue is at a far more pervasive level.

Whenever the Socceroos play in Asia, or in a World Cup we constantly hear about the physical nature of the team. This is done by the media, players and particularly the managers against who they play. When the game is underway 50/50 challenges where there is no foul are judged to be Socceroo fouls. If an opposition player goes down a foul is given, if a Socceroo is fouled - nothing.

Ange has pulled the same con job. He has made every other team the Socceroos. These teams are nowhere near as skilful as his teams and shouldn't be on the pitch. If something happens it must be their fault. The media believes it, the refs believe it and the Roar fans certainly believe it.

I noticed at about 33 minutes into the Grand Final that the foul count was 7-2. It should have been 3-3. That may not sound like a big difference but it can change the flow of the game. The first 6-7 minutes of the Grand Final were dominated by Brisbane, then Brisbane were awarded two fouls where the Roar players ran into Glory players contesting the ball. These at worst were non-fouls - I would have given one the other way. After these consecutive fouls Brisbane started to get into the game. Later, just before I saw the foul cont a Brisbane player clattered into the back of a Glory player and the subsequent foul somehow went to the Roar.

I am utterly sick to death with the officiating that only sanctions one team. To me it is a greater blight on the game than diving, to the extent that it is in Australia, is.

Great observation
It would be interesting to see the stats on fouls.
Robbie Cruze was once the most fouled player on the pitch. A Brisbane graduate.

Kareem

From my facebook status (with a bit of editing)

So let me get this straight Berisha was clipped in the calf?
I will post 2 reasons why this is bullcrap.
1) Looking at the side on view, at NO point does his tibia change direction...thus no conclusive evidence of contact.
And I will request my Uni lecturer to observe that next week in class...I am sure my lower limb biomechanical knowledge is correct (and I'm sitting on 83% mark in class :p). But no doubt she will have better knowledge.
I think the pro-penalty fans are drawing a long bow.
It is possible...believe it or not, for a player going at speed with so many quick touches, to have his weaker foot get in the way by sheer bad luck. Shocking right?

if you guys want I'm sure I could dig up some youtube footage of players doing the same when their foot gets in the way!

So not a dive, but playacting certainly as we saw when he claimed the penalty straight away!

2) Let's assume that their argument is correct (LOL). Their logic is that the player touched Berisha, but it was not enough to bring him down (as he clearly planted the foot on the ground), but since his left foot touched the ball, thus initiating an air swing, it is a penalty.
I'm sorry but football is a contact sport. If the direct contact unlawfully impedes a player then fine. But this is a bit too crazy for my liking...they are talking about some massive chain reaction here...it's not rocket science guys!

Let me ask you this...
Who here has played and had the ball, and lost control because someone kicked their foot?
I've been frustrated when the ball goes out (coz it's a throw-in for them)

What about in the box...it happens all the time.
Fact is, you can pressure the defender into losing control of the ball...this happens EVERY game. The only time anyone gets penalised is when they end up overhauling the attacker.
And in this case Berisha did not lose his balance UNTIL the airswing, which was AFTER the fact!

I think young Jarred Gillett honestly thought there was contact which brought down the player directly, and didn't notice the airswing. This theory (that the defender illegally forced the ball to be misplaced) that people are using, was 100% not Jarred's thought process. Why? Because that has no place in the Laws of the Game

For the record, as an ex-ref with 2 years experience...I probably would have given a penalty. In real time, and with my inexperience I would have thought the defender DIRECTLY impeded Berisha.
But I was an amature ref with 2 years experience, and this is the biggest single match in Australian football- so I think it's fair to say that Jarred should be expected to make a better decision than me :p

Bex

Kareem, this was similar to an ankle tap; surely you wouldn't condone that on the field?? It's a different matter jostling the attacker from beside or in front, but ankle tap??

ryan

I watched Fox Sports FC last night and listened to their explanation of why it was a penalty and I must say I still did not see any contact. I saw Liam Miller's foot near Berisha but it looks like there was no touch. I'll not be convinced otherwise

Forum Phoenix

The contatc can be clearly seen form the right replay, however it is slight, and he recovers fully, if you freeze just after it, he has his plant foot solidly on the ground, body positioned correctly and in balance to strike, then the ball "bobbles" and he misses and goes down.

Atomic

The key point is that Berisha's left foot is struck by the defender. This in turn pushes his left foot onto the side of the ball causing it to bobble. Hence, Berisha took an air swing.

It pains me to say it but it was a clear penalty imo. The defender had no play at the ball and disrupted the natural motion of the attacker in the box.

Wombat

A disgusting dive....nothing more nothing less....and he should be suspended for it.

Lol at Kareem post....I've had you ref me before v SEU ....and you were a half decent ref but I found you more likely too give a foul than not.

I agree with you that Berisha conned an inexperienced ref.

Wombat

The key point is that Berisha's left foot is struck by the defender. This in turn pushes his left foot onto the side of the ball causing it to bobble. Hence, Berisha took an air swing.

It pains me to say it but it was a clear penalty imo. The defender had no play at the ball and disrupted the natural motion of the attacker in the box.

Let me put it this way.

Do you play Football and if you do would you be incredulous if a ref gave a free kick or penalty for that challenge, if it was you attempting a challenge??

Atomic

I disagree. I've seen slo-mo footage that clearly shows that his foot was clearly clipped and that his foot's direction was altered and it struck the side of the ball, causing it to bobble.

The theatrics afterwards were disgraceful but that's not a crime.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred