• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Gosford Council to clean up the CBD - whaddayareckon?

dibo

Tear down CBD eyesores

14Mar08

dolylepic.jpg

Councillor Craig Doyle is backing Gosford Council moves to allow demolition of unslightly rundown buildings.​

DERELICT buildings will be demolished at the owners expense if Gosford Council gets its way.

It wants a return to tough old-style powers in a bid to clean up the city.

The council stung by criticism of the rundown state of the CBD this week voted unanimously to lobby the State Government to increase fines for owners who allowed their buildings to fall into disrepair.

It also wants Local Government Minister Paul Lynch to reinstate legislation under the Local Government Act which would allow it to tear down decrepit buildings at the owner's expense.

The moves come after a decade of inaction and stalled development during which parts of Gosford's CBD have slid into squalor.

Councillor Craig Doyle (pictured right) said it would be better to see a vacant block of grass than some of the dozen or so buildings left vacant and crumbling in the heart of Gosford.

"I think it's a disgrace to own property in such a beautiful area and let it go to ruin," he said.

Cr Doyle said the council would also refer the matter to the next local government conference and garner support for tougher penalties from other councils across the state.

Describing the present laws as reducing the council to a "toothless tiger", Cr Doyle said the ability to issue demolition orders would give it the power to deal with the public safety issues caused by vacant buildings which were in disrepair, vandalised or infested by vermin or used by squatters.

"These buildings are a visual scar that goes to the heart of a healthy and living city".

"We're not asking for new legislation," he said. "Councils used to have this power."

Chamber applauds CBD clean-up

Friday 14 March, 2008 12:00am

GOSFORD Chamber of Commerce has welcomed the push to give Gosford Council more powers to demolish derelict buildings and impose heftier fines on owners.

At its monthly lunch on Wednesday, the chamber applauded the council's notice of motion to lobby the State Government.

Chamber treasurer David Bowler said it was "the first step" in cleaning up Gosford's image and stimulating investment in the CBD.

"In terms of the chamber we are supportive of the idea and the process,' he said.

"Potentially it would certainly assist in Gosford moving forward.

"If a premises is maintained and if things like graffiti are washed off quickly it rarely develops into a bigger problem and that helps everyone."

Chamber vice-president Deborah Warwick said the initiative would certainly improve the appearance of Gosford.

She said making the CBD more attractive had a "flow-on effect" providing shoppers with a more pleasant experience and, in turn, enticing investors into the city.

This could be really interesting - on the old forum we had some really interesting discussion about the State Government's new planning powers and the Department of Planning's new strategy for the next 25 years in Gosford. This is one thing that could kick the thing along.

As I read it, owners of sites will most of all be required to keep their property looking OK to prevent their neglect creating an eyesore and in turn hurting the interests of their neighbours. This can extend as far as requiring them to demolish derelict structures. It's not compulsory acquisition - they'll still own the land and in the case of Froggys there, that's prime real estate and would be worth a lot in sale value or otherwise be an attractive prospect for the current to develop.

This could be the thing that kicks people on to do the work to maximise the value of hitherto crumbling sites. Once some work is done to kick the CBD along, other work will follow so that it won't just be derelict buildings but eventually other sites will attract interest from potential investors and developers and the whole strip will rise in value.

What do other peeps reckon?

Andy

You see that building everytime you're at the Leagues Club.

Sounds like a good idea.

T

thanman

can we just bulldoze the whole thing and extend the boundaries and just makes the whole thing Erina?
I say that coz Erina thrive commerical boom.. and gosford went bust lol.

dibo

The planning NSW site had some really interesting stuff showing a vision of what Gosford might look like down the track.

aerial_sea.jpg

Gos_LiveableCity.jpg

Gos_CommInvestment.jpg

Gos_ShoppingLeisure.jpg

Ted

Wow, the old Froggy's eh? Spent quite a bit of my deprived childhood there!

fish

I thought the old Frogys site was going to be the place of the Leagues Club resort??

dibo

i thought i'd heard something similar, but i also heard that they were gonna plonk something very big on the roof. who can tell? :piralaugh:

Bear

fish said:
I thought the old Frogys site was going to be the place of the Leagues Club resort??

I thought the resort was going to be on the actual site, in that big empty grassy area as you drive in?

fish

Bearinator said:
fish said:

I thought the resort was going to be on the actual site, in that big empty grassy area as you drive in?

not really big enough though is it??
maybe the pokie tax put a stop to it I am not sure.

dibo

fish said:
Bearinator said:
fish said:

maybe the pokie tax put a stop to it I am not sure.

depends - pokie tax might actually drive it forward as the club would need to make moves to become less dependent on pokie revenue.

Bear

fish said:
Bearinator said:
fish said:

Rebuilding the car park might be in the plans, who knows, wont need the road around the sides of the land then. Its years and years away anyway, but will be good when done im sure

fish

grab a tape , nip downstairs and give us a measurement on the plot.Ill get cracking on a few designs in the mean time

dibo

googleearthviewofstadiurk1.jpg

they could always re-do the entire site by closing dane drive and the part of georgiana tce between dane drive and baker st, and instead extend baker st down the side of leagues club park and have the central coast highway scoot closer to the waterline (no need for the roundabout there) to open up the western side of leagues club park.

in the (quite big) space created they could f**k off the bowlers to another site - a rooftop spot within the CCLC precinct would be perfect - and use the freed up space to run carparking up on the northern end of the site (farthest from views and closest to the station) while on the southern end linking the stadium, club and resort together. they could get some really nice big buildings mixed in with relaxed open spaces and possibly a realigned and expanded stadium.
fish said:

or just go with this. ;)

Bear

fish said:
grab a tape , nip downstairs and give us a measurement on the plot.Ill get cracking on a few designs in the mean time

I would, but I dont unlock the door in Gosford this late at night ;)

fish

and here we are talking up the virtues of the gosford CBD revitalsing project, nice work

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred