• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Good CCM reports

Ravana

the article failed to mention that during the 07-08 season when you won the minor premiership & lost the grand final to the jets, you rorted the salary cap & had one of the more expensive teams in the league. i say this because back then there was only 1 marquee allowed for every club. yours was vidmar. but as injury replacements you signed both alvin ceccoli & john aloisi - on wages much, much higher than the person they were replacing & were then considered out of the cap. so in theory you ran three marquees in a league that was only allowed 1. gorman or someone labelled it a "creative loophole" and the moment that season was over, the rule of injury replacements being paid the same or less than the person they were replacing came in as it "promoted unfair competition".

it also fails to mention that ccm were the first club to be bailed out by the ffa (season 2, i believe?) & have continually been supported through most seasons with aid from the ffa - i daresay the most ffa-sponsored club (other than wsw now). everytime an article mentions that the ffa has bailed out clubs, it says "adelaide, brisbane & newcastle" and fails to mention that on several occasions they've bailed out ccm and basically kept them alive.

the little team that could? the little team that was carried through.

cool story bro

Now who's not paying the bills? hahahaha

Rocket

patrick_vieira4, on 28 August 2012 - 09:36 AM, said:

the article failed to mention that during the 07-08 season when you won the minor premiership & lost the grand final to the jets, you rorted the salary cap & had one of the more expensive teams in the league. i say this because back then there was only 1 marquee allowed for every club. yours was vidmar. but as injury replacements you signed both alvin ceccoli & john aloisi - on wages much, much higher than the person they were replacing & were then considered out of the cap. so in theory you ran three marquees in a league that was only allowed 1. gorman or someone labelled it a "creative loophole" and the moment that season was over, the rule of injury replacements being paid the same or less than the person they were replacing came in as it "promoted unfair competition".

it also fails to mention that ccm were the first club to be bailed out by the ffa (season 2, i believe?) & have continually been supported through most seasons with aid from the ffa - i daresay the most ffa-sponsored club (other than wsw now). everytime an article mentions that the ffa has bailed out clubs, it says "adelaide, brisbane & newcastle" and fails to mention that on several occasions they've bailed out ccm and basically kept them alive.

the little team that could? the little team that was carried through.

cool story bro

I'm not your bro Bogan boy.

Your post is like you....lame.
Now who's not paying the bills? hahahaha

Silence is Golden.
One dirty bogan foot in the mouth ( a disgusting thought )

midfielder

From all places .... WSW fans forum...

http://www.westsydneyfootball.com/

Central Coast are the third in the Season 2012/13 A-League team preview series.

Unlike the Brisbane Roar, the Mariners have not been able to put to rest ownership and investment speculation. The Russian cavalry appears to be smoke and mirrors and that deal appears dead in the water. On the positive side the Mariners have opened their long awaited Centre Of Excellence. This includes several money-making ventures so it should in theory stop the club from going bankrupt at it's current rate of spending to the point where they might not need extra investment.

Last year a 15 game unbeaten streak propelled them towards the top of the League table. The unbeaten run stretched from a 2-1 win against Perth Glory in late October all the way to the 21st of January with a 3-2 come from behind win against Adelaide. Their late season form was inconsistent. Draws and losses mixed in with only 3 wins from their last 9 games. Despite the loss of form, they regrouped for the final two matches and defeated Wellington in New Zealand to claim the League Premiership.

Their finals campaign was an abject failure. A 2-0 loss in the first leg of their Major Semi-Final in Brisbane lead into conceding two goals in the first 25 minutes of the home leg. The Mariners threatened a grandstand finish by scoring two of their own in quick succession before half-time but an Henrique strike on 65 minutes condemned them to a 5-2 aggregate loss. They faced a resurgent Perth Glory line-up lead by Shane Smeltz in the Preliminary Final. A Kwasnik goal on 32 minutes was cancelled out by a Smeltz tap-in and neither team was unable to score after. With scores locked despite playing Extra Time the match headed to penalties. McGlinchey failed from the spot, Perth did not miss and the Glory won the shoot-out 5-3 going on to lose to Brisbane in a dramatic Grand Final.

The Asian Champions League campaign did not fare better. Three draws set them on the back foot before a 5-0 thrashing against Seongham Illhwa hurt their chances of topping the group. They replied by destroying Tianjin Teda 5-1 to confirm 4th place for that team. In a do or die match against Nagoya Grampus they were unable to resist a Japanese onslaught and fell to a 3-0 loss confirming their third place finish in the group.

Transfer activity into the club is understated. Zac Anderson joined the club from Gold Coast United alongside Brent Griffiths from Wellington and three new faces in the Youth Squad. The only big name to come was Mile Sterjovski who left Chinese side Dalian Aerbin to join the club on a one-year contract.

Crowd favourite Mustafa Amini and Scottish target man John Stutton both reached the end of their loan signings and returned to their home clubs of Borussia Dortmund and Heart Of Midlothian respectively. Stuart Musialik was released, Sam Gallagher moved to Melbourne Victory, Alex Wilkinson to Jeonbuk Motors of Korea and Brad Porter retired.

The Mariners are a very settled side playing the methodical and consistent tactical strategy implemented by Graham Arnold. McBreen and Kwasnik will provide a solid amount of goals as well as being targets for the midfield and defence to hit passes to. Ibini and Rogic will be hoping to make a big impact on the season and if they can both perform the Mariners can take the title. Patrick Zwaanswijk is the key to their defence and someone who can power in goals from the set piece or the penalty spot. Mathew Ryan will look to continue his development and could be on his way out of the club to Europe in the mid-season transfer window.

The Mariners have a very tough opening to the season. They will be the opponent for the debut of the Western Sydney Wanderers. Their own home debut is the week after against the strong Perth Glory squad before they travel to Newcastle for the first F3 Derby of the new season. Week 4 sees them up against Melbourne Heart and then another local rivalry match against Sydney FC with new marquee player Alessandro Del Piero.

Has their mental toughness become eroded by the ghosts of Final Series past and their failed ACL Campaign? Only time will tell. They will surely figure in the end of season play-offs but questions remain over their ability to win the big matches. Graham Arnold talks about how he believes the league Premiership is worth more than the finals Championship but in Australian sport it is the Grand Final that matters.

The Mariners have the ability in their squad and management to win both the Premiership and Championship this season. Anything less than a Grand Final appearance for the Mariners will be considered a failure and once there they will expect to win it finally.

I predict that the Central Coast Mariners will finish the season in 2nd position.

Gratis

http://www.theroar.com.au/2012/10/01/a-league-preview-young-guns-could-send-mariners-all-the-way/

The big question for the Mariners heading into the season is whether they can find a consistent goal-scoring replacement for Matt Simon.

But in Mile Sterjovski and Mitchell Duke they might just have a combination which could propel them to a much-coveted championship, especially with Tom Rogic doing the prompting.
The recap:

2011/12: 15 wins, six draws, six losses – First place (Lost 5-3 on penalties in Final to Perth Glory)

Having bowed out of the finals in straight sets after being hit by the mid-season departures of Simon and Rostyn Griffiths, Graham Arnold had to find solutions and it looks like he’s done exactly that.

Make no mistake, the Mariners will be right in the mix again this season, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see Duke emerge as one of the young guns of the season.

Promoted from the youth side, Duke looks to not only have the work rate and tenacity of Simon, but looks a far more refined player technically.

On Saturday morning, at the club’s fan day in Tuggerah, he scored two goals in the opening 15 minutes of an intra-club 11 vs 11 game, finishing with the precision and power of a seasoned striker.

He is strong, quick, always on the move and appears to have terrific sense inside the box, finding space where it counts.

Long-time Roarer Midfielder has been going on about Duke here for a couple of seasons, and it’s easy to see why.

His combination with Sterjovski and Rogic in the opening half of this scratch-match at Tuggerah was too much for the second team, who could barely get a touch.

While Sterjovski isn’t completely match-fit yet, his movement and link-up play will add much to the Mariners front third, and Arnold will entrust him with set pieces and much more.

Rogic, meanwhile, has had a full pre-season and looks set for another bumper campaign, gliding about, influencing, making football look a breeze.

Indeed, watching the way Arnold’s side zipped the ball around on the pristine pitch at their Centre of Excellence, it was hard not to get carried away.

This team looks easy on the eye, and the hope is that the Central Coast appreciates their team and responds with some bumper gates.

While Alex Wilkinson, Simon, Mustafa Amini and Rostyn Griffiths might not be around anymore, Arnold and his coaching committee look to have added more depth than ever.

The prospect of the Mariners starting the season with no room in the starting 11 for Justin Pasfield, Bernie Ibini, Oliver Bozanic, Adriano Pellegrino, Zac Anderson, Troy Hearfield and Daniel McBreen tells you much about the quality at Arnold’s disposal.

The competition for the three outfield spots on the bench (we really need to move to a seven man bench) will be as intense here as it is anywhere.

Pasfield, for example, is good enough on his form last season to be a number one anywhere, while Pellegrino has shed 10 kilos in the off-season and been buzzing about the midfield, playing in a slightly more withdrawn role.

Others like Bozanic and Ibini, often regulars last season, may have to bide their time.

With Trent Sainsbury slotting seamlessly into Wilkinson’s spot alongside Patrick Zwaanswijk, having been groomed for a couple of seasons, they shouldn’t lose a great deal.

Indeed, Sainsbury’s form and the arrival of Zach Anderson from Gold Coast United should add even more depth and quality. After a difficult start to his career, Anderson looked extremely comfortable towards the end of last season.

Meanwhile, in midfield, Nick Montgomery has come in as replacement for Griffiths and looks a handy addition, bringing experience in the holding role, allowing new skipper John Hutchinson to revert back to the left side when Arnold goes with a diamond.

In the past, this 4-4-2, with a diamond midfield, has been the standard template.

But Arnold has been using much of the pre-season to add some tactical flexibility, drilling his men on a new 4-2-3-1 formation, which should allow them to start their pressing higher, and keep opponents guessing.

The manager, who flirted with a move to Sydney early in the off-season, appears more than happy with the progress of the new system and has hinted that he’ll be switching up during games.

He did exactly that at half time on Saturday, and the players seemed comfortable enough, with Duke likely to play through the middle and Sterjovski dropping wide.

A 4-2-3-1 would mean a holding axis of Montgomery and Hutchinson, but others, like Pellegrino and Bozanic, have also been groomed there.

This tactical flexibility is another little notch on the Mariners belt.

The fact the FFA have looked after them in the second half of the seasons, when they will be at Bluetongue regularly during their Asian Champions League campaign, also helps.

Indeed, the fact the Mariners have only eight away flights this season makes their case even compelling, especially when compared to the likes of Brisbane, Wellington, Adelaide and Perth, who fly every second week.

With the increased depth, tactical flexibility, a more favourable draw than last season, and better quality in the front third, I’m expecting the Mariners to be right in the mix for both the Premiership and Championship, invariably among the top few.

Prediction: First – third

Player movements

In: Mile Sterjovski (Dalian Aerbin, China), Nick Montgomery (Sheffield United), Zach Anderson (Gold Coast United), Brent Griffiths (Heidelberg United, VPL)

Out: Alex Wilkinson (Jeonbuk FC, K-League), Mustafa Amini (Borussia Dortmund), Sam Gallagher (Melbourne Victory), Trent McClenahan (Sydney FC)

Roy Law

Very cheerful and cheering write up: easy on the eye and zipping the ball around! If Pelle really has lost ten kilos then no wonder he is 'slightly withdrawn' :). This season is shaping up to be a real cracker with lots of good football from a lot of good teams - including the Mariners.

neverwozza

Promoted from the youth side, Duke looks to not only have the work rate and tenacity of Simon, but looks a far more refined player technically.

Exactly what I said to the bloke sitting next to me at the Victory game at Knox. He was also very strong in the air and proved more than a handful for Milligan. He seems to have all the qualities that we were hoping for in Sutton but must not have been ready for first team at the tail end of last season.

Gratis

Fozzie's take:

Round 1 of the A-League was most interesting, confirming some thoughts we had and raising other questions for future reference. Here are a few that stood out:

- The Premier, Central Coast Mariners, has made tactical adjustments in the off-season. It appears that Graham Arnold has altered his midfield to give greater options when building from the back, with both John Hutchinson and Adriano Pellegrino providing support centrally and laterally.

The protection and circulation of the ball looked very impressive - albeit against a counter-attacking Wanderers side - perhaps in response to an incapacity to maintain possession against Brisbane Roar during the past two seasons.

Tom Rogic looked good moving ahead in the next line but would benefit from a number nine to play with, but it's always good to see young players being given an opportunity.

...and the rest http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/craig-foster/blog/1123937/A-League-analysis:-Round-1

MrCelery

SHEFFIELD UNITED: Playing Down Under a Dutch delight for Monty

Aussie rules: Nick Montgomery is relishing his new lifestyle​
By James Shield Sheffield United
Published on Tuesday 11 December 2012 08:53

NICK Montgomery, the former Sheffield United midfielder, has revealed how emigrating to Australia has broadened his personal and professional horizons.

Montgomery, who joined Central Coast Mariners in August following a 12-year association with Bramall Lane, told The Star that the A-League’s tactical template, which can be traced back to Guus Hiddink’s spell in charge of the Socceroos, means standards Down Under are at an all-time high.
“The style is moulded on the Dutch so it’s great to watch as teams try to keep possession more,” Montgomery said.
“The club is really well run and the manager, Graham Arnold, worked under Hiddink for years and uses most of his ethics, tactics and training methods, which has really opened my eyes up.
“I have already learnt a lot.
“It’s been a really good learning curve and, even at my tender age I still feel I have a lot to learn and take on board.”
Arnold, Montgomery’s mentor at Bluetongue Stadium, was Hiddink’s assistant before enjoying a brief spell at the helm himself.
Hiddink, the former PSV Eindhoven and Russia chief, might have departed Australia following the 2006 World Cup but, on the country’s Eastern Coast, his ideas have helped Mariners seize first place in the domestic table after 10 rounds of competition.
They entertain Melbourne Heart, who are seventh, on Friday evening before travelling to Wellington Phoenix just before Christmas.
The match, which takes place at Westpac Stadium later this month, could pit Montgomery against another United old boy - Paul Ifill - who has spent the past three years in New Zealand.
Arguably Mariners’ best result of the campaign so far came when they beat Sydney FC, who recently recruited Alessandro Del Piero, 7-2 last month. Ian Crook resigned as the visitors’ coach soon after but not before labelling Mariners “the best team in the league”.
“I am loving playing for the Mariners and it’s a fantastic club,” Montgomery said.
“It’s similar to the Blades in fact because there’s a great atmosphere around the place and a close-knit atmosphere behind the scenes.
“I scored my first league goal over here a while back.
“It was against Adelaide and it turned out to be the winner so that was a good night.”
Montgomery, aged 31, is scheduled to spend at least the next two and half seasons with Mariners.
“I have made some great friends here already and will never forget how much they helped me and my family settle as it was a big move with two small children,” he added.
“We have settled in great on the Central Coast.
“I can throw a stone from our apartment on to the beach. It’s such a beautiful beach and there are loads of cafes and restaurants next to it.
“The kids love it and we spend a lot of our spare time there and paddling in the rock pools.
“It really is a truly amazing place to live because the lifestyle is so relaxed and it’s a great place to bring up children. I have to pinch myself everyday to believe that I actually live here.”

neverwozza

“It really is a truly amazing place to live because the lifestyle is so relaxed and it’s a great place to bring up children. I have to pinch myself everyday to believe that I actually live here.”

I'm originally from the western suburbs of sydney and I have to do the same thing every day as well. My kids still don't believe me when I tell them we only went to the beach once a year.

Wombat

SHEFFIELD UNITED: Playing Down Under a Dutch delight for Monty

What a diamond this bloke is and what a smart signing.

Been a right result for both parties.
Aussie rules: Nick Montgomery is relishing his new lifestyle​
By James Shield Sheffield United
Published on Tuesday 11 December 2012 08:53

NICK Montgomery, the former Sheffield United midfielder, has revealed how emigrating to Australia has broadened his personal and professional horizons.

Montgomery, who joined Central Coast Mariners in August following a 12-year association with Bramall Lane, told The Star that the A-League’s tactical template, which can be traced back to Guus Hiddink’s spell in charge of the Socceroos, means standards Down Under are at an all-time high.
“The style is moulded on the Dutch so it’s great to watch as teams try to keep possession more,” Montgomery said.
“The club is really well run and the manager, Graham Arnold, worked under Hiddink for years and uses most of his ethics, tactics and training methods, which has really opened my eyes up.
“I have already learnt a lot.
“It’s been a really good learning curve and, even at my tender age I still feel I have a lot to learn and take on board.”
Arnold, Montgomery’s mentor at Bluetongue Stadium, was Hiddink’s assistant before enjoying a brief spell at the helm himself.
Hiddink, the former PSV Eindhoven and Russia chief, might have departed Australia following the 2006 World Cup but, on the country’s Eastern Coast, his ideas have helped Mariners seize first place in the domestic table after 10 rounds of competition.
They entertain Melbourne Heart, who are seventh, on Friday evening before travelling to Wellington Phoenix just before Christmas.
The match, which takes place at Westpac Stadium later this month, could pit Montgomery against another United old boy - Paul Ifill - who has spent the past three years in New Zealand.
Arguably Mariners’ best result of the campaign so far came when they beat Sydney FC, who recently recruited Alessandro Del Piero, 7-2 last month. Ian Crook resigned as the visitors’ coach soon after but not before labelling Mariners “the best team in the league”.
“I am loving playing for the Mariners and it’s a fantastic club,” Montgomery said.
“It’s similar to the Blades in fact because there’s a great atmosphere around the place and a close-knit atmosphere behind the scenes.
“I scored my first league goal over here a while back.
“It was against Adelaide and it turned out to be the winner so that was a good night.”
Montgomery, aged 31, is scheduled to spend at least the next two and half seasons with Mariners.
“I have made some great friends here already and will never forget how much they helped me and my family settle as it was a big move with two small children,” he added.
“We have settled in great on the Central Coast.
“I can throw a stone from our apartment on to the beach. It’s such a beautiful beach and there are loads of cafes and restaurants next to it.
“The kids love it and we spend a lot of our spare time there and paddling in the rock pools.

Atomic

Nice little piece on the World Game tonight which examines the culture at the Mariners. Try and catch the replay on SBS One at 11pm if you can. Well worth it.

Gratis

Softly, softly suits Graham Arnold's ancient Central Coast Mariners

Graham Arnold's Central Coast Mariners have been forced to fight for every glimmer of recognition. Picture: Mark Scott Source: The Daily Telegraph

GRAHAM Arnold's Central Coast Mariners have been the flag-bearers for Australian club soccer for almost three seasons.
Beaten grand finalists in 2010-11, preliminary finalists in 2011-12, top of the A-League table since virtually the start of this season and on the way to another Premiers Plate and maybe a long-overdue championship, the Mariners should be lauded for what they have achieved.
Yet while Alessandro Del Piero, Melbourne Victory and the stunning emergence of Western Sydney Wanderers have captured the imagination of fans and the media, the boys from NSW's central coast have been forced to fight for every glimmer of recognition.
These days, the Mariners are more likely to make the news because of untimely player departures, such as Tom Rogic's transfer, and continuing financial issues (which could see them lose one of their major sponsors) rather than for all the good things they are doing on the park under Arnold's passionate and expert guidance.
But the club seems to revel in flying under the radar. The players are a tight-knit group that feeds off team spirit and Arnold's us-against-them philosophy.
According to classy left back Josh Rose, the lack of recognition is not an issue.
"We don't mind. We are happy to leave the headlines to the others," Rose said as he prepared for tonight's top-of-the-table match against Adelaide United at Bluetongue Stadium.
"At the end of the day, the objective is to get to the finals and perform well. If we do that, people will start to talk about us.
"We just need to keep doing what we are doing. We have to stay consistent and turn it on when we get to the finals.
"But, really, we are not thinking about finals football. We have a tough game against Adelaide."
Rose, who has played all 17 games for the Mariners this season and is one of their key weapons, rejected suggestions the loss of players midway through a season was a major concern.
Last season, Matt Simon and Rostyn Griffiths left the Mariners for Asian clubs and only recently Rogic signed with Scottish giant Celtic, while Bernie Ibini is also likely to head overseas.
"That stuff is like water off a duck's back," Rose said. "We work to a team structure, it's about the team, not individuals.
"Yeah, Tom is a big loss for us. He created so much and we all saw how good he is with the ball. But there are players ready to take the step up. It's a great opportunity for someone else to come in and make the spot their own."
by: Ray Gatt

midfielder

From Fossie of all people....

Mariners teach big spenders a lesson in professionalism

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/football/mariners-teach-big-spenders-a-lesson-in-professionalism-20130126-2ddk1.html#ixzz2J5TBQmAO

The best compliment that can be handed to Central Coast Mariners - the little engine that could - is that they are predictable. That is, in terms of their results.

For the third year now under head coach Graham Arnold, it has become commonplace to look at the weekend results and find that the Mariners have won, or at least drawn. A more familiar uncertainty may be a part of life for fans of every team underneath the table-toppers but not for those of the Mariners.

They play well and win, and play poorly and get the result. Or they go behind and come back, as they did against the second-placed Adelaide United on Friday evening. Central Coast pretty much find a way to negotiate any type of game scenario, increasingly with any combination of players.

Where football results are concerned, consistency is the most elusive beast, regardless of the league. But with a budget that is dwarfed by other teams in the top half of the table, the ability of the Mariners to regularly overcome more illustrious, experienced and far more costly opponents is something to be admired - and copied.

Advertisement
The two words that best describe the regime in place at Gosford is ''preparation'' and ''professionalism''.

In many respects, the Mariners have raised the bar of what it means to develop a professional football environment in Australia, where so much thinking, understanding and decision-making is still mired in amateurism - certainly technically.

Even as the club continues to set the pace nationally, resources have been scarce, most particularly in the past season, when new investors were not forthcoming. Yet the Mariners technical staff have continued to work on and off the field to overcome their disadvantages, especially when compared to clubs with greater facilities and resources to throw around or, in most cases, throw away.

The Mariners' excellence draws into focus the exorbitant spending of their competitors, who must be deeply embarrassed to be beaten by an operation that exists on several million dollars less per year. If not, they damn well should be.

The A-League was started by people who wouldn't know a football if it hit them in the face and so too were most of the clubs. Strategy was almost non-existent, past lessons were overlooked and hundreds of millions of dollars were thrown at poor recruits and average coaches - all in the name of the personal ambition of people who just wanted to be involved in the game.

It will take another decade for clubs to professionalise to such an extent that a different degree of rigour, analysis, strategy and vision is applied to every football department.

Football will increasingly look to football for guidance, knowledge and answers. The Mariners have challenged every other club to look at their own accepted beliefs, often developed only from watching a few games on the box, without the decades of experience, study and application. In other words, there are still too many people with no idea about football making harmful decisions.

This actually helps the Mariners, who plug away every day doing the right thing, working tactically, building a strong group, enforcing and enhancing rules and standards, turning the game from a fun pursuit (in which a few business people can get their jollies by hobnobbing with famous players and getting their name in the press) to a profession.

At the Mariners, players come to know what it means to be a footballer. Forget glamour, it's about daily grind, individual and group, accountability, and hours assessing opponents and preparing at length to neutralise their strengths and exploit their weaknesses.
In the early years of the league, both players and coaches struggled to adapt to the concept of professionalism but this is changing as more clubs learn what it takes to achieve success.

It is not about luck, but about work. Every day.

It was necessary and beneficial for Graham Arnold to develop and prove his competence and methods in the daily grind of a club environment, where he has excelled and grown in many respects. Privately and publicly.

For eight years we have had what was called a ''professional league'' simply by virtue of the full-time environment and financial rewards, yet much of it was still amateur. Thanks in no small part to the Mariners, the term professional can now apply.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred