• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Good Books

midfielder

I am working in Fiji ... and being away from home you look for things to do... I brought a book at the Airport by ..... Bryce Courtenay ... called ....Four Fires ... over 1, 000 pages...

It is a great read if you like books... about an Irish Cathloic family it starts in 1955 ...

One of the best books I have ever read ... and a very good at looking at Australia at the time...

Any one got any books they can recommend ........

marinermick

Two books about football corruption:

"Offside" - the history of politics in australian football

"Foul" - all about the corrupt body that is FIFA

Both are quite eye-opening.

FFC Mariner

Football: full time by Tony Cascarino (a very sad and disturbing book)

Fiction: Anything by Ian Rankin

Re-reading The intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham

midfielder

Lautoka and Suva ... but it is no fun when your working ... see all the people on holidays and you go to work ...

Went to BA to see some clients / contacts ... and it's the home of Fiji Football a huge sign...

Coming home from work today got into a kick around in the local park with the locals both Indian & Fijian ... showed my skill .. ie old age and treachery can beat youth and skill ...

Great fun but and football does speak an international and age language... but those buggers can run fast and are all muscle and bone... In fact lots of Football gaming going on but no RU ... this is in Lautoka ..

paying $ 8.00 per hour for inter net ... they must be making a bomb the Hotel that is... Water Front if you know it..

marinermick

midfielder said:
Went to BA to see some clients / contacts ... and it's the home of Fiji Football a huge sign...

In Ba they have a statue of Esala Masi - the average footballer is a God in Ba

Mention his name and they will love you.

Oh, and say hello to the "Minister for Squatter Reployment" for me.

Arabmariner

'Red Horizons' by Lt Gen Ion Mikai Pacepa

Written by the highest ranking Romanian official to defect to the west during the Cold War.He was the head of Romanian intelligence and Ceausescus right hand man.

He defected to the USA in 1978 and his CIA debriefing lasted over 3 years.

Radio free Europe began broadcasting excerpts from this book into Romania in 1987 before the collapse of the communist government.

If you're into the history of communist Europe it's a great read although I wouldn't take everything this bloke says as the "gospel truth" so to speak.

If you just want a bit of easy reading, a laugh and a story with a twist either of 'Dead Famous' or 'Blast from the Past' by Ben Elton should do the job.

FFC Mariner

Try and get a copy of Cascarino's book - v abusive childhood too

The book detailed his love of gambling, particularly playing all forms of poker, and revealed that his career had been blighted by crippling self-doubt, which he summarised as the "little voice"[3]. The book also candidly refers to his shame over his infidelities[3] and of leaving his wife, Sarah and two sons, Michael and Teddy (who was named after Cascarino's former Millwall team-mate Teddy Sheringham) and muses: "...maybe, just maybe, I was so wrapped up in my newfound celebrity that I'd become immune to the suffering I was causing".

He also revealed that during his time at Marseille, he and many other of the club's players were injected by club president Bernard Tapie's personal physician with an unknown substance. The physiotherapist at the time insisted the substance was legal and would provide an "adrenaline boost". Cascarino claimed that most players accepted the injections[3] and that "it definitely made a difference: I felt sharper, more energetic, hungrier for the ball

J

jiggles

John King, obviously Football Factory and England Away are amazing (I prefer the book FF than the movie).

I love anything by Hunter S Thompson. Fear and Loathing, Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail.
The biography on him too by Ralph Steadman is also great, "The Jokes Over".

Have you read any other Bryce Courtenay books? It took me a while to get into them...But I like April Fools Day.

Other than that...anything written by Jodi Picoult. Medical Law type stories amaze me.

Oh, and chick lit (Marian Keyes etc)...cause really, what female isn't. So I doubt you want suggestions on that :p

bjw

bjw
The five people you meet in heaven- Mitch Albom
The Beach- Alex Garland
Fight Club -Chuck Palahniuk.

^^ My three favourite novels of all time- each is a fantastic read.

FFC Mariner

Arab, you would have to be into Ian Rankin wouldnt you?

Dour Scottish policeman.rain,beer,irn bru,mindless violence etc?

Arabmariner

FFC Mariner said:

I'm shocked and stunned that you would think such a thing  :eek:

Obviously you are though  ;)

Arabmariner

FFC Mariner said:

Thanks for the tip FFC.

Reading 'The Black Book' atm............just as per your description  ;)

FFC Mariner

Arabmariner said:
FFC Mariner said:

Thanks for the tip FFC.

Reading 'The Black Book' atm............just as per your description  ;)

Brilliant stuff, ex punk rocker too

nero

The Day of the Jackal. Easily the best book I have read.

Read the book in one weekend. I don't read books very often.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred