• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Gold Coast cap crowds to 5,000

Not Aloi$i FC

So people are blaming Clive Palmer for capping crowds? That's fair enough.

Is anyone here blaming the Qld Government for making the club pay $140k for any crowd over 5000? Is anyone here blaming the FFA for not nipping this in the bud when the fat bastard threatened to do this previously?

What Clive's going to realise sooner rather than later that his price hiking and crowd cutting will ensure that he'd still lose money, even if he'd only be paying a $40k hiring cost each game for getting a sub-5000 crowd.

David Votoupal

curious said:
Brisbane, and Qieensland for that matter had a head start of many generations of traditional Rugby League support, Dibo. Albeit at state level. They were ready & waiting for decades for national league representation, with an established following. Newcastle were an identical situation.

Brisbane had a vibrant club competition, the BRL, that was practically killed off by the advent of the Broncos. A fair amount of damage was done to grassroots RL in SEQ, if older fans' accounts are to be believed.

In Newcastle there was some resistance to entering the Sydney (NSWRL) comp up to the mid-1980s. The Newcastle Rugby League (aka the "Real NRL" as the locals call it) is still one of the stronger regional comps today.

A similar scenario was played out in Australian Rules. SA were resisting moves to join the AFL right up to 1990, and the SANFL today is still the best-supported state league in any code (a 35k Grand Final this year, a 12k crowd at Glenelg Oval last year, etc). They're a very parochial lot over there. The WAFL to a lesser extent, and the Foundation Day Derby in Fremantle can still draw a big crowd.

The game in Tasmania, once vibrant, was run into the ground because of administration equal to Soccer Australia in terms of astonishing incompetence, with too many self-interest groups running and wrecking the game there. Only now are they slowly sorting it out.

Even at Roar the honeymoon appears to be over with the initial curiosity settling back the last two seasons after a decent first few years. Besides Sydney, Queensland would have to be the most difficult football market in the country.

Queensland has a very large, vibrant grassroots football community. To understand the problems the Roar have you have to go back to the politics of local football in Queensland. The Lions/Roar aren't exactly a popular club in local football circles, kind of like a Manchester United or Bayern Mnich of local football, and got the A-League license on the strength of their social club backing- backing that's guaranteed to dwindle in the current climate anyway. Similarly the Brisbane Strikers mob appear to be resentful of not being given the license.

Gold Coast United, however, have exceeded all for utter stupidity and failure to connect with the local football comunity.

curious said:
David, you might not realise, but you made a good point. The Countries you named (and many other like them) have had football as their traditional #1 sport, and spectator sport, for generation after generation. Very different in Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, where their traditional sports with a very strong support and attendance is Gaelic football and Hurling.

Why I say you made a good point is, Australia is in the same boat, along with America and a number of other countries.

Football has always been popular in Ireland, and the support the national team gets and the club sides once got on big nights in Europe would reflect that, however there were also many social pressures that could be explained by the social and political history of Ireland, a subject I don't want to touch with a 40-foot pole on here.

The big difference is that Ireland and the Nordic countries have very easy access to top level football, a short flight or ferry away...

We might make a better comparison with the US and Canada, and of course New Zealand. And all of those countries have produced teams good enough to have qualified for World Cups.

Canada is an interesting case. The game has obviously been more popular there than one might imagine because of strong European influences for decades (and Canadians, remember, will do anything to be "not American"), and Toronto FC get strong parochial support. Yet apart from the a purple patch in the late 70s and 80s driven in no small part by the NASL (where Canadian players, almost without exception, were much better than Americans who played), the national team has never made much impact or captured public imagination. Heck, as recently as the '94 qualifiers they made a serious run at it, ended only by Mark Schwarzer!

curious

Is anyone here blaming the Qld Government for making the club pay $140k for any crowd over 5000
The $140k is for full use of the stadium. If 140k is what's market value, and as far as I'm aware is also paid by the other tenant/s, why should GCU receive special treatment with a heavily discounted rate and taxpayer subsidy for a stadium that cost state taxpayers 160mil.?
Possibly, both the roar and gcu should have aimed a little lower as far as home stadiums are concerned? I don't think there is an alternative smaller, and less costly stadium in the GC region. Is there?

Palmer being the National Party hard head he is, I'm presuming this is more a party political stoush than a football club/financial argument with GCU being used as the  tool.

curious

Yes David, but tradition sports effect on domestic club football following, peculiar to a number of countries is what I was pointing out. Not there ability to field football players in a WC.
I'm not sure i understand the relevance of your first paragraph, to my comments.

I live in Canada, on & off, so understand their sporting market.
(and Canadians, remember, will do anything to be "not American")
This is certainly correct and interesting you say so. It's similar to the attitude around me as I grew up in the NSW country regions. Only it was, and still is to a degree, 'Australians will do anything not to be English.'  ;)

Blackadder

AFAIK he can write off the losses against his personal tax, or company tax depending if they are registered club owners.

As for capping the crowd, why can't the FFA grow some balls and step in to this surely is in the best interests of the game to have as many people attend as want to.
Love to see Palmer out the front of Robina explaining to the 5,001st person they can't come in.

David Votoupal

curious said:
Yes David, but tradition sports effect on domestic club football following, peculiar to a number of countries is what I was pointing out. Not there ability to field football players in a WC.
I'm not sure i understand the relevance of your first paragraph, to my comments.

I live in Canada, on & off, so understand their sporting market.
(and Canadians, remember, will do anything to be "not American")
This is certainly correct and interesting you say so. It's similar to the attitude around me as I grew up in the NSW country regions. Only it was, and still is to a degree, 'Australians will do anything not to be English.'  ;)

You'd know too that Canada is one of the most complex and difficult countries to govern because of its ethnic, regional and increasingly fiscal disparities between its provinces.

Oh, and Canadians know how to punish incompetent or stupid governments- rout them out of office. It's happened in BC, Saskatchewan and New Brunswick, and it happened federally too. Maybe NSW Labor can heed the dire warnings there.

serious14

Blackadder said:
Love to see Palmer out the front of Robina explaining to the 5,001st person they can't come in.

Charge the gates/get people inside to open them.  United did it at Oakwell last night.  :p

Seriously though - the FFA has to do something.  I've gotta agree with Dibo ( :eek: ) re: the threat of the license being taken away.  Just because you have money doesn't mean you can act like an arrogant jerk who thinks that money ='s power.

David Votoupal

serious14 said:
Blackadder said:

Charge the gates/get people inside to open them.  United did it at Oakwell last night.  :p

Seriously though - the FFA has to do something.  I've gotta agree with Dibo ( :eek: ) re: the threat of the license being taken away.  Just because you have money doesn't mean you can act like an arrogant jerk who thinks that money ='s power.

Seconded. In the current climate:
- the sort of mentality Palmer showing is grossly irresponsible, and symptomatic of all that caused the GFC in the first place.
- the A-League absolutely CANNOT afford clubs to be run into the ground by idiots. Sure it happens elsewhere, but in a league in its infancy were so much is limited, it can be fatal.

offtheball

Seeing he is a billionaire not affected by the GFC why can't he suck it up for one season at least.

Why not give away 5000 kids tickets and drop adults prices. Short term loss might end up in some long term gain. Maybe Cullina and co could actually venture into the schools and give out the tickets.

Does the club get any % of the food and beverage sales?

serious14

David Votoupal said:
the A-League absolutely CANNOT afford clubs to be run into the ground by idiots. Sure it happens elsewhere, but in a league in its infancy were so much is limited, it can be fatal.

Bingo.  Again with the whole "crowded sporting market" conundrum - one code acts like an idiot, you've got 3 others willing to accept your allegiances at a moment's notice.

David Votoupal

serious14 said:
David Votoupal said:
the A-League absolutely CANNOT afford clubs to be run into the ground by idiots. Sure it happens elsewhere, but in a league in its infancy were so much is limited, it can be fatal.

Bingo.  Again with the whole "crowded sporting market" conundrum - one code acts like an idiot, you've got 3 others willing to accept your allegiances at a moment's notice.

And dare I say, the public conduct of fans in our game, how we act towards each other everywhere too, is always going to be under scrutiny.

Unfortunately, there's an uncomfortably high % of dickheads seemingly attracted to the game in this country (even the odd one on here), who seem not to care about tarnishing the game's image. Kinda ironic, when you consider the "boofhead" criticisms levelled at Rugby League. But that's just how I see it.

curious

offtheball said:
Does the club get any % of the food and beverage sales?
Highly unlikely. Most clubs of any code don't get catering/booze sales rights when hiring stadiums. It's part and parcel of the stadium management rights contract a company pays millions of dollars to obtain.

nero

This cap better f off before the Mariners game. Our group of 13 won't be paying $42 for each ticket. They can stick that up their arse.

Tassiemariner

Threaten to strip license. give it canberra or even tasmania.
at least they would get over 5,000 on average and not carry on like they are king of the world.

dibo

David Votoupal said:
Is it possible to strip the license from Palmer, sell to a willing buyer, but keep the name, players, staff, etc?

Yes. The licence, player contracts, club name etc. belong to the FFA. You buy (through your company - e.g. Mariners Leisure Pty.Ltd. or whatever it is for us) the right to operate it. It's like an expensive game of fantasy football.

If the FFA decides to can your licence or take it back from you, I think they *can* compensate you but may not, particularly when the licence is being revoked for what essentially amounts to breaking undertakings. It's breach of contract, so they simply pull out. As far as I can gather, they can operate it themselves or award the licence to a competitor at will.

Long story short - if the bloke who was running Gold Coast Galaxy agrees to step in, they could probably move the licence on tomorrow.

greenlig

Give it to Tassie. C'mon. You know you want to :)

They would get really good attendance there at Aurora Stadium, as you'd get a lot of people from Hobart travelling up for it. Wow...I would love that a lot. Give me something to look forward to when I visit home!

FFC Mariner

Depends on the stones that the FFA have (probably none)

1) Go and see fat boy
2) Serve him a breach notice and tell him that his license reverts back to the FFA in 24 hours if he doesnt comply
3) Take over the club and its agreements with the ground etc and seek a consortia/new buyer

Bullies are easy to fix - front them and be prepared to go all the way.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred