• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

GA and the Russians

Wombat

Great news. He is giving us a fair shot and really its more than we deserve.

Agree on Caceres but not on Duke. He can bang in goals but i just dont rate him as an A-League starter. We need an experienced provider next to either Duke or Ibini or someone like that inbetween them in a 433. It would mean Ibini would need to find an extra 20 - 30 mins of hard running a game.

Difference between us and Brisbane is a 20 goal a year forward and some extra fitness up front to keep defending till the last mins
:goodpost:

I've only seen Duke play once and he was decent but I am not qualified to offer an opinion but I do feel we need a top quality striker. I have only heard good things about Caceras so really looking forward to seeing him next year.

adz

Staff member
This from Facebook

Central Coast Mariners Official Page Hi all. Discussions with Graham Arnold are ongoing and as soon as a concrete outcome is reached, our Members and fans will be among the first to know. Please trust that we will make an official statement when it is possible to do so. Thank you for your support and we hope to see you at Tuesday's test against Tianjin Teda at Central Coast Stadium.

finally retired

GA waiting till Wednesday for a better offer by Mariners.He's not asking to equal Sydney's money.It must be in between what he's getting now and what Sydney is offering.He wants to stay.
Being the cynic that I am....just wondering if that's only to take him past the last home game of the season (Tianjin Teda on Tuesday) so that he doesn't cop abuse at Blutongue..... I hope not and that it IS a good sign.

Gratis

Being the cynic that I am....just wondering if that's only to take him past the last home game of the season (Tianjin Teda on Tuesday) so that he doesn't cop abuse at Blutongue..... I hope not and that it IS a good sign.

This knowledge won't be in the general public sphere i'd imagine if that helps reduce cynicism...

ccmmic

Snippet about the Mariners and Arnold from the story "Heart chief executive Scott Munn says talk of $3m loss is way off".

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/football/heart-chief-executive-scott-munn-says-talk-of-3m-loss-is-way-off/story-fn63e0vj-1226342143670

An FFA spokesman confirmed there was "nothing credible in any of the speculation" regarding the Heart or the situation at the Mariners, who appear to have lost all hope of a Russian consortium coming to their rescue.

The Gosford club has been in long-term talks with the Russians, who have links with Spartak Moscow, to buy a 50 per cent share in the club. But the negotiations have continually stalled though Turnbull was adamant last week contracts had been signed and that it was only a question of getting the money released from overseas.

Businessman John Singleton, who has helped the club out before, is said to be watching developments at the Mariners.

Meanwhile, the Heart is hoping to finalise its coaching staff in the next week.

The Victorians have been looking at their options since John van 't Schip left at the end of the season. The Dutchman was believed to be on a deal worth as much as $600,000 a season.

Munn said the coaching situation at the club should be sorted reasonably quickly with van 't Schip's assistant, Ante Milicic, favoured to get the job.

The Heart position and the jobs at Sydney FC and the new western Sydney franchise are the last coaching appointments left to be determined in the A-League for next season.

Graham Arnold will leave the Mariners to take up the Sydney position, which should leave the way open for his assistant Phil Moss or youth coach Tony Walmsley to take over at the Mariners while Tony Popovic is in line for western Sydney.

finally retired

This knowledge won't be in the general public sphere i'd imagine if that helps reduce cynicism...
what's not in "the public sphere"?
Tom Smithies reported last week that Sydney will announce him as their new coach "in the next couple of days".....and even the SydneyFC forum have multiple threads pro- and against Arnie as their coach, with all indications there that it would be announced later this week.......and "12th player" is saying GA will wait until Wednesday this week.....
perhaps 2+2=5, but like I said, I really hope the delays aren't just to get him past the last home game...and that he genuinely wants to continue at the Mariners.

scottmac

Suspended
If you were GA what would you do?

I know i would be headed out the door cause money shortfalls (especially mine) are just not acceptable. The Mariners gave him the chance to redeem himself and he has done that. We haven't paid bonuses, breached his contract so off he goes.

In reality a coach with his resume does not belong at a (financially) small club like us (not taking into account his failures). We would suit a coach more the likes of Moss & Walmsley. Someone who is unproven at the elite level & deserves a shot. Kind of like the bulk of our squad.

See ya Arnie,thanks for a great 2 yrs & good luck with that sky blue 20 tonne anvil chained to your neck, your gonna need it.

ccmmic

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1103629/Arnold-issues-contract-ultimatum

Central Coast coach Graham Arnold has given Mariners until Wednesday to match a contract offer from Sydney FC, believed to be around $400,000 per season.

Mariners players are clinging to the hope that embattled Central Coast chairman Peter Turnbull will be able to dig deep enough to prevent Arnold walking.

But with a mooted takeover from a Russian consortium understood to have fallen through and property developer Turnbull forced to last week deny that he was set to hand back his A-League license under mounting financial pressure, the prospects of Arnold receiving a 50 percent pay rise look remote.

Speaking ahead of his side's must-win AFC Champions League game against China club Tianjin Teda at Bluetongue Stadium on Tuesday, Central Coast defender Patrick Zwaanswijk told The World Game that Arnold had been up front with the players over his future.

“We know Arnie has given the Mariners a deadline of until Wednesday to come back with something which he can accept match and it’s really a situation between Arnie and the club,” Zwaanswijk said.

“He’s always been honest with us and has told the players where things are at. He’s pretty much told us that some of the stories written are true and some are not.

“The thing we know for sure is that he’s had agreed terms with Sydney but has given Central Coast another shot to offer him something that would make him stay.

“We are trying not to get involved too much because our job is to support both the club and of course the coach.”

Arnold’s situation has been complicated by unpaid superannuation and winning bonuses and all indications are that he cannot afford to turn down the opportunity to succeed Vitezslav Lavicka at the Sky Blues.

“Arnie has put his own style into the team and has done a superb job and we’ve learned a lot from him,” Zwaanswijk said. “But if he does go we feel we’re learned so much we can still be a successful team without him and with whoever comes in.”

Zwaanswijk has not given up hope of qualifying for the next stage of the ACL with Mariners chasing its first win against Teda, which has also drawn three and lost one of its four Group G games.

“It’s going to be hard now but one thing is certain, we must beat Tianjin to have any chance of qualifying for the next round,” he said.

“We have yet to win an ACL game and we want to make a little bit of history by doing that.

"After that who knows. Our last group game is away against Nagoya Grampus in two weeks and we’d also need to take something from that.”

Zwaanswijk puts Mariners’ 5-0 thumping to K-League side Seongnam Ilhwa two weeks ago down to a hangover from its A-League grand final eliminator loss to Perth Glory, a quick turnaround and a disjointed performance.

“We had to fly out straight after the Perth game and the disappointment of that was fresh in our minds,” Zwaanswijk said. “It was all so hectic and it’s true the loss against Perth took a lot out of us mentally and physically.

“The game in Korea was a case of too much too soon but we are sure we can turn things around.

"We haven't given up hope at all and we have had well over a week to rest now and there will be no excuses not to win the game.

“We want to make sure we’re in with a chance of going through going into the final group game. We know that if we can’t beat Tianjin it’s all over for us.”

Tianjin, which has scored just once in four games, leads Central Coast on goal difference with the two sides drawing 0-0 on the opening ACL matchday.

bloggo

God i forgot what communication was like:
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/centralcoastmariners/news-display/Chairman-Peter-Turnbull-writes-to-Mariners-fans/47118

Dear Fans,

There has been a substantial amount of media speculation recently suggesting that Graham Arnold has already signed with Sydney FC. In fact, what is true is that Sydney have tabled a very substantial offer for ‘Arnie’, which he is considering. However, we have recently lodged what we consider to be a very attractive counter-offer and have been speaking with Graham at every available opportunity.

What must also be remembered is that in the case of the Mariners, we have had Finals Series football and the AFC Champions League to play in recent weeks. As such, we have needed to be mindful not to interfere in any way with the teams’ preparation as we have a clear desire to excel in every competition in which we compete.

Our offer for Graham Arnold to remain as Head Coach of our club is for an increased amount, and for an additional season. Ultimately, it will be Arnie’s decision, and whatever decision he makes we will support him, as we do with all our coaches and players. That is the nature of our club.

It would be great for Members and fans to turn up in force tomorrow night to show their support for Arnie and urge him to stay at the helm of our first team. We have a crucial game against Chinese Super League side Tianjin Teda at Central Coast Stadium, with kick-off scheduled for 7:30pm.

In the coming days I will circulate a more comprehensive column detailing information about our current ownership situation, the progress of our impressive Centre of Excellence in Tuggerah, as well as my thoughts on the state of the game in Australia. Rest assured, the team, staff and shareholders of the Central Coast Mariners are positive about the future of your football club, and we know we can count on your full support as we look to build on our successful 2011/12 season.

Central Coast Mariners Chairman, Peter Turnbull

Marquee

How can we commit to offering Arnold an increased contract when we can't even pay his current one? Is this all hinged on the Russians?

To me, Arnold is saying if the Russians aren't done by Wednesday he is gone. Taking a pay increase here without getting the investment would just be suicide as we would be in an even worse position then now.

I think Singo will be our saviour but we will have lost Arnold and probably more by then.

sally

pjennings

How can we commit to offering Arnold an increased contract when we can't even pay his current one? Is this all hinged on the Russians?

To me, Arnold is saying if the Russians aren't done by Wednesday he is gone. Taking a pay increase here without getting the investment would just be suicide as we would be in an even worse position then now.

I think Singo will be our saviour but we will have lost Arnold and probably more by then.

I still hope the Russians come through - but would love Singo to be involved as well. Turnbull stated that the Russians had signed contracts. But the negotiations have continually stalled though Turnbull was adamant last week contracts had been signed and that it was only a question of getting the money released from overseas.
Maybe Singo can be convinced to provide sponsorship of Arnie to take that complication away.

Marquee

That would be a interesting option but it won't address Arnie's #2 concern of player recruitment / losing more players.

pjennings

That would be a interesting option but it won't address Arnie's #2 concern of player recruitment / losing more players.

That's true. However, in many ways, I like the idea that Arnie voices his unhappiness at concerns

- Training facilities
- Losing players
- Non payment

IIRC all of these problems existed before Arnie was here.

My point basically was that a Singo sponsorship would take Arnie's thoughts about whether he got paid out of the equation.

As to player recruitment we have 17 on contract and according to the SMH

The futures of several Mariners players will also be confirmed in the coming days, with contract extensions offered to Patrick Zwaanswijk, Tom Rogic and defender Pedj Bojic

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-league/arnold-makes-sky-blues-wait-as-mariners-prepare-for-acl-crunch-20120430-1xuz1.html#ixzz1tXPM03cu

To have 17-20 players of a 23-man roster signed 5 months before kickoff makes the Mariners probably one of the most advanced in player retention. I guess the final positions will be dependent on what sort of new capital, if any, is available in the coming week/months and where that capital is spent. If captal is injected it hopefully means the end of losing important players mid-season a la Mile, Matty and Rostyn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred