• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

FFA set to survive Tanner's razor gang

midfielder

Strange article in shm today about the razor gang and cutting funds to sporting bodies.

It talks about the 16 million promised, however the ALP offered 32 million during the election and said they would put Socceroos on free to air TV, so whats with 16 million.

Anyone know any background to this article.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/football/ffa-set-to-survive/2008/02/06/1202233948797.html

FFA set to survive Tanner's razor gang
Email Printer friendly version Normal font Large font Jacquelin Magnay
February 7, 2008

Advertisement
FOOTBALL Federation Australia looks as if it might survive savage cuts that have befallen other football codes as part of the Federal Government's withdrawal of $243 million of "irresponsible spending" promises made for the current financial year.

Australian Rugby League has lost the $10 million pledged by former prime minister John Howard to establish a hall of fame and the Australian Rugby Union has had its $25 million Queensland-based national rugby academy abandoned.

Among other sports targeted, fishing lost $3 million earmarked for a hall of fame, and racing has had the government's $5 million contribution to a water-saving strategy at Flemington withdrawn.

But FFA chief executive Ben Buckley said the substantial commitments to football - a four-year $16 million government grant - would be maintained. "We have had no signal that anything would change. We would like to think that it may even go the other way," Buckley said.

The Federal Government's $6.5 million commitment to the Bradman Cricket Museum also appears to have survived.

Minister for Finance Lindsay Tanner yesterday announced spending cuts of $643 million over the next four years, designed to help rein in inflation.

Tanner said the former government made a substantial number of "irresponsible" new spending commitments before the last election.

Their funding had to be included in appropriation bills to be tabled in Parliament next week, but they have now been reversed.

The ARL was to have received $3 million this financial year and $7 million in 2008-09 for the hall of fame, tentatively proposed for the Sydney Football Stadium. Other venues were in the process of being considered until yesterday's email notification from the minister's office.

ARL chief executive Geoff Carr said it was "extremely disappointing" that the code's contribution to encouraging children to be active during the past 100 years had been withdrawn without consultation.

"We have had little or no government support in getting children to play rugby league," he said. "We pour about $8 million a year into schools, with 65 development officers to get kids active, yet the government does this."

The cuts come as government spending in other sports is being reassessed. Tanner said the spending cuts were an initial and modest down-payment on further cuts to be announced in the federal budget.

Already, budgets for the programs of the Australian Sports Commission and the AIS are being slashed by about 4 per cent across the board.

The AIS gymnastics program and other development programs of non-Olympic sports are under immediate threat of being abandoned.

Meanwhile Australia's influence in world sport was heightened yesterday when International Olympic Committee member Phil Coles was appointed a vice president of the World Taekwondo Federation. Coles, a three-time Olympian in the sport of canoe-kayak, replaces Cha Sok Park, who died last year.

adz

Staff member
ARL can get f**ked - get some of those high powered business people they brag about to chip in the cash, not tax payers

serious14

Something to do with spending promises that Howard made during his election campaign...... obviously they weren't Rudd's promises, hence he's now letting these governing bodies know that "um guys, by the way, but no money for you".

Come on though - a FISHING hall of fame??  For 3 million dollars??  That my friends, is the very definition of buying votes.  Thank sensibilities they cancelled that one.  At least the 16 million for football will be used for something USEFUL.

adz

Staff member
$3 million fishing hall of fame is a larf. Does that somehow involve rex hunt and hookers?

marinermick

serious14 said:
Something to do with spending promises that Howard made during his election campaign...... obviously they weren't Rudd's promises, hence he's now letting these governing bodies know that "um guys, by the way, but no money for you".

Come on though - a FISHING hall of fame??   For 3 million dollars??   That my friends, is the very definition of buying votes.  Thank sensibilities they cancelled that one.   At least the 16 million for football will be used for something USEFUL.

the fishing party is quite a powerful lobby group

FFC Mariner

Pointless populist policy.

Whilst delighted that RL gets another smack in the head, on a policy level this is crap.

1) Its not a real saving because the money hasnt been spent yet (if you decide not to buy a Merc this weekend, you are $250k ahead right??)

2) As a % of our overall budget it is minute.

3) These clowns want to fight inflation by dumping $38bn in cash into an overheated economy in tax cuts (times have changed and they have to dump the promise). Inflation rises ,rates go up again and we end up with another recession we didnt have to have.

Learnt a lot since 91 havent they???

dibo

marinermick said:
serious14 said:

Come on though - a FISHING hall of fame??  For 3 million dollars??  That my friends, is the very definition of buying votes.  Thank sensibilities they cancelled that one.  At least the 16 million for football will be used for something USEFUL.

the fishing party is quite a powerful lobby group

they're worth three quarters of nothing to any major players in federal politics. it was more about a votebuying exercise. the queensland seat of Hinkler, based on bundaberg and hervey bay, looked like it might fall and in the end was narrowly held by 51.7% to 48.3%, surviving a 6.6% swing. that's a fair way short of the state wide swing, so maybe the hall of fame is a factor. the labor party isn't in the business of keeping the other side's pork barrel promises so cutting it makes perfect sense.

Greenpoleffc said:
Pointless populist policy.

Whilst delighted that RL gets another smack in the head, on a policy level this is crap.

1) Its not a real saving because the money hasnt been spent yet (if you decide not to buy a Merc this weekend, you are $250k ahead right??)

2) As a % of our overall budget it is minute.

3) These clowns want to fight inflation by dumping $38bn in cash into an overheated economy in tax cuts (times have changed and they have to dump the promise). Inflation rises ,rates go up again and we end up with another recession we didnt have to have.

Learnt a lot since 91 havent they???

it's a saving in that this was money that tresury had already determined it was going to spend. the bills had been written, but now those lines are deleted.

it's not really populist - there's nobody who's going to be going 'goody goody goody' here, but for those indulging in a little schadenfreude.

as for the tax cuts, i don't know what rudd, swan and tanner are plotting but i wouldn't be that surprised (and would be very pleaesd) if they pay those into superannuation, even if it's only a majority portion of the cuts. keep the heat off the economy and let the basic automatic stabilisers, the interest rate rises* and the other budget measures take effect.

*interest rate rises are meant to burn. they make you hurt when you reach for your wallet in myer, and it's meant to get you to keep your wallet in your pocket. it's starting to work too - household savings are on the up, so that's set to wash through and stabilise inflation in the medium term.

FFC Mariner

:)

Mate, the way you stay on message is great, you are too good for them.

Lets agree to celebrate RL getting no $$

dibo

Greenpoleffc said:
:)

Mate, the way you stay on message is great, you are too good for them.

Lets agree to celebrate RL getting no $$

hard to stay on message when you're not in the loop, but i try nonetheless! :piralaugh:

it's just nice to have peeps there doing stuff i believe in. ;)

serious14

dibo said:
*interest rate rises are meant to burn. they make you hurt when you reach for your wallet in myer,

Interest rate rises or not, Myer always hurts your wallet.

dibo

serious14 said:
dibo said:
*interest rate rises are meant to burn. they make you hurt when you reach for your wallet in myer,

Interest rate rises or not, Myer always hurts your wallet.

i just bought a laptop from there not even an hour ago - intel core 2 duo t9300 (2.5GHz), 2GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 9500m GS with 512GB RAM on board, 200GB HDD, 802.11a/b/g/n network card, bluetooth, digital tv tuner, dvd supermulti drive, vista ultimate, free mouse, bag, router... $1799.

no pain at all my friend!

dibo

adz said:
awesome. pity about vista ;)
what size screen does it have?

15.4", only 1280x800 resolution, but i'm not really a gamer so it bothers me not at all.

as for vista, am tempted to knock it back to XP but am not sure i can be bothered.

still wildly OT - is it possible to connect a desktop HDD to a laptop? my desktop appears to have died a death of sorts - no longer booting :( so am wondering if it's possible to do some data recovery using the laptop?

adz

Staff member
dibo said:
still wildly OT - is it possible to connect a desktop HDD to a laptop?

ummmmm nope dont think so. I would just copy the files over the network.

kevrenor

dibo said:
adz said:
awesome. pity about vista ;)
what size screen does it have?

15.4", only 1280x800 resolution, but i'm not really a gamer so it bothers me not at all.
as for vista, am tempted to knock it back to XP but am not sure i can be bothered.
still wildly OT - is it possible to connect a desktop HDD to a laptop? my desktop appears to have died a death of sorts - no longer booting :( so am wondering if it's possible to do some data recovery using the laptop?
HDD can be placed into an external drive case and linked by USB .... don't ask me how, I'd ask my son
You could consider Linux, as I am figuring to do for next time, unless you are wedded to a whole heap of software.

kevrenor

marinermick said:
take it to PMs you squares
Technophobe! :)

You probably could have got a better deal than Myers but what will support be like.

As for the original thread Dibo, and scuttlebutt why Senator whatever her name was didn't get the Sports gig? 

dibo

kevrenor said:
As for the original thread Dibo, and scuttlebutt why Senator whatever her name was didn't get the Sports gig?

no idea - lundy was never *bad* as such, but maybe they just decided that kate ellis is more photogenic? NFI really.

FFC Mariner

Back to the HDD, can it be rebooted using a boot disk?? You only have to get it up once to do a transfer.

Alt, go down the road to ASIO and ask them lol

dibo

Greenpoleffc said:
Back to the HDD, can it be rebooted using a boot disk?? You only have to get it up once to do a transfer.

Alt, go down the road to ASIO and ask them lol

as i'm a complete twat, i don't have a windows boot disk about. if i did, i'd be set. even getting it far enough to run scandisk would be good. but i'm not sure how to get it to just to a dos boot so as to be able to look around. it hangs somewhere in the middle of the windows disk checks...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred