• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Discussion: What defines a Coastie?

Big Al

Interesting

For probably the first 4 years that I lived up here (as a kid) I'd look forward going back to Sydney, and get this sinking feeling when we'd turn onto the F3 at Wahroonga/ the train would get past Hornsby northbound...

Then again living in Sydney I was close to the CBD without it feeling especially crowded or 'busy', and yet the first neighbourhood we lived on the Coast was surrounded by bushland and a fair distance from major shops/ transport hubs or anything of note. Felt like living out in the sticks. If we'd moved from Sydney to somewhere like East Gosford or Erina, probably would've been an easier transition.
I think as a kid it’s probably quieter and further from entertainment but as an adult it’s the traffic of Sydney that’s annoying.

I think really a coastie is anyone with any affection for the coast and has probably lived here for a while.

I used to holiday as a kid here and loved it. So the effection was built early.

LFCMariners

I remembered today, a few years back I was chatting with my mother about Primary school teachers I had (did most of my Primary schooling up here) and mentioned my Year 5 teacher- a bloke with a permanent sun-tan who loved surfing and rock-fishing and wore thongs to school for about 3 months after he stepped on some kind of spiny sea creature. Mum laughed and said "He was such a Coastie!"

booney

Went to the GF last year( unforgettable night) with my SIL and my 7 yo granddaughter and 5 yo grandson-they live in Sydney and support FC but on the night were going for the Mariners.As we were walking out from the air( more likely floating on air in my case) the 7 yo said to me -" I know most of these people are wearing Mariners gear but if they weren't I would know that they were Coasties as so many are wearing thongs".

Tevor

Went to the GF last year( unforgettable night) with my SIL and my 7 yo granddaughter and 5 yo grandson-they live in Sydney and support FC but on the night were going for the Mariners.As we were walking out from the air( more likely floating on air in my case) the 7 yo said to me -" I know most of these people are wearing Mariners gear but if they weren't I would know that they were Coasties as so many are wearing thongs".
Pretty sure I wore thongs but they are my footwear of choice any where in the world. I could walk 500 miles ! I’m not a true Coastie having read this thread. Not to mention the blow up when we couldn’t wear thongs in Bali. Absolute disgrace

LFCMariners

My mate Homer has lived on the north shore all his life, but his standard game-day attire consists of shorts, thongs, old CCM jersey stretched over his beer gut and a Furphy's beer cap.

He's the spitting image of Onslow from Keeping Up Appearances, if Onslow was Aussie. And (despite never living here) more of a Coastie than I am, for sure.

Big Al

Pretty sure I wore thongs but they are my footwear of choice any where in the world. I could walk 500 miles ! I’m not a true Coastie having read this thread. Not to mention the blow up when we couldn’t wear thongs in Bali. Absolute disgrace
My wife is the same. Sleeting snow in New York at Christmas time. Thongs on. A local said your not from around here are you.

Switzerland in winter. No problems. Thongs on.

yellowcake

I've only been on the Coast for 38 years. One of these days I'll be a true coastie.
It's said that nobody that moves to the Coast ever leaves and nobody born on the Coast ever stays.
42 years now, me - approaching 2/3 of my life. True to the saying, four of my five kids born at Gosford Hospital live elsewhere. The first to move, now in Melbourne, is as big a Mariners fans as you'll find - still a Coastie for sure. The remaining one, now working in Sydney (who's been a CCM member for 3/4 of his life, veteran of 5 GF's and undoubtably more games than played for us by Vuka and Simmo combined), will likely go soon too but you won't take the Coastie out of him!
That said, in 2004 when it was announced that WE were getting a team in the new comp and that team, helped by defying expectations in the first season united the Central Coast like nothing has before - even had their picture on the front of the phonebook (remember them?) I was happy to accept everybody who loved this team as a Coastie, better still with a membership and stamp it if you live (or lived) here.

Just bleed yellow and navy. And hate the Jets!

Corsair

Pommie, been here 22 years, last 12 on the coast. I've been ruminating on this. Chilled, not rushed, let people cross that are walking up to a zebra crossing when you could push through. Let someone out in their car. Exchange a kind word to an old person or a bit of small talk in public. Don't be an unfriendly cnut. We often chat with other people walking their dog, just a few moments while the dogs sniff each other. We took him to Sydney, Eastern suburbs, not a single hello, not even a look, no one even let their dog stop for a mutual sniff. I call myself a coastie and believe it's an attitude. You can feel the camaraderie at the game, none such visible between opposition fans at most away games.

Last edited:

nl.ryan

Pommie, been here 22 years, last 12 on the coast. I've been ruminating on this. Chilled, not rushed, let people cross that are walking up to a zebra crossing when you could push through. Let someone out in their car. Exchange a kind word to an old person or a bit of small talk in public. Don't be an unfriendly cnut. We often chat with other people walking their dog, just a few moments while the dogs sniff each other. We took him to Sydney, Eastern suburbs, not a single hello, not even a look, no one even let their dog stop for a mutual sniff. I call myself a coastie and believe it's an attitude. You can feel the camaraderie at the game, none such visible between positing fans at most away games.
Right answer!! I welcome you as a Coastie ??

Allreet?

When I used to live at Turramurra (back in the 90s) I used to hate getting on the Wyong train because it was full of dirty, smelly Coasties all snoring and farting.

Then I met my wife (who lived at Avoca), came up here in 2000, and have been a dirty, smelly Coasty on the Wyong train ever since... which no longer stops at Turramurra... toffee nosed bastards.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred