• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Discussion: What defines a Coastie?

LFCMariners

In some of the YA chants we reference Coasties, and during the GF podcast last year somebody talked about one of our players and said they were "such a Coastie".

And it got me thinking-

I was born in Sydney and moved to the CC during my childhood, and despite moving back and forth interstate in the years since have spent the majority of my adult life here. My mate Homer meanwhile (see Unite Round thread) has always lived on the north shore, but he seems like more of a Coastie than I am...

So what exactly defines a Coastie? Is it simply living on the Central Coast? Born and raised here? Or is it something less easily defined- a particular attitude or a way of living?

Insertnamehere

Defs can't ever be a coastie if you're a north shore type. They started buying into norah head and started poisoning the trees and whinging about no footpaths.
Joint looks like a Sydney suburb nowadays. Macmansions and flash footpaths.

Ozhammer

As a blow-in I wouldn’t be so presumptuous to call myself a Coastie but having only lived on the Coast since we arrived in Australia I’d like to consider myself an honorary Coastie and wouldn’t want to live anywhere else. ❤️

Big Al

In some of the YA chants we reference Coasties, and during the GF podcast last year somebody talked about one of our players and said they were "such a Coastie".

And it got me thinking-

I was born in Sydney and moved to the CC during my childhood, and despite moving back and forth interstate in the years since have spent the majority of my adult life here. My mate Homer meanwhile (see Unite Round thread) has always lived on the north shore, but he seems like more of a Coastie than I am...

So what exactly defines a Coastie? Is it simply living on the Central Coast? Born and raised here? Or is it something less easily defined- a particular attitude or a way of living?
As hybrid my version is as soon as you get off the F3 (F3 for coasties M1 for non) at Wahroongha you get the shits that you are back in Sydney and happy when you cross the hawkesbury river bridge back then your a coastie

LFCMariners

As hybrid my version is as soon as you get off the F3 (F3 for coasties M1 for non) at Wahroongha you get the shits that you are back in Sydney and happy when you cross the hawkesbury river bridge back then your a coastie
Interesting

For probably the first 4 years that I lived up here (as a kid) I'd look forward going back to Sydney, and get this sinking feeling when we'd turn onto the F3 at Wahroonga/ the train would get past Hornsby northbound...

Then again living in Sydney I was close to the CBD without it feeling especially crowded or 'busy', and yet the first neighbourhood we lived on the Coast was surrounded by bushland and a fair distance from major shops/ transport hubs or anything of note. Felt like living out in the sticks. If we'd moved from Sydney to somewhere like East Gosford or Erina, probably would've been an easier transition.

Wombat

Been here 20 years now after moving up from Sydney. Was a slight adjustment as the pace was slower but i was used to working in Country NSW so compared to Lismore or Kempsey the Coast was more advanced.
I starting playing for Kariong United FC as soon as we moved here so that immediately gives you a friend network.
Then when the Mariners started up i was in hook line and sinker and proud to call myself a Coastie.

Kilsin

I moved up from Hornsby (born and bred) when I was 18 years old. I am now 46 and love the coast more than the North Shore or Sydney by far! Proud Mariners member for 12 years.
I get that sinking feeling driving down the F3 when I get closer to Wahroonga, haha.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
WELL, almost every school holiday was spent at Ettalong or the Entrance for at least 11 years , Mid 80s did a couple of stints as holiday relief with the Aussie Post (must of been a shortage of sorters up there, cause I usually worked Sydney South west or GPO at Xmas.....then in 2002 -ish we moved up from Ruse, until 2 years ago when we moved my crippled arse to Brissy for the extra heat and UV rays ...so, yeah, that didnt answer f**king anything ...did it !

Last edited:

Big Al

Born and bred coastie, so much so that I find myself getting way too annoyed about how over populated it’s become with all the Sydney types moving up here. Oh and I absolutely despise going to Sydney, literally a day ruiner for me.
Sorry about that one ?.

First trip driving to work the radio said it’s “chunky” up the kariong hill. I laughed at the word chunky then there were about 5 cars

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred