• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Coast Football Ramble Podcast

marinermick

Great pod again lads.

Thinking about your crowd funding needs and the mention of full kit wanker, here is my idea:

- Set up a funding target
- For every 25% of target one of the pod members goes to a game and Bay 16 for a full game in Mariners Full Kit Wanker gear - jersey, shorts and socks pulled up. There are five of you, so minus Pete, all four (Morrow, Jimmy, Luke and Josh) will go full kit wanker if 100% of target is reached.
- Sat night Victory game would be a perfect game for this

Insertnamehere

Catching up on poddies. about 3 behind.

Listening to Shaun talk about transfers. I wonder if when you speak to Shaun next, if you ask if the club helps players with career planning. We all accept we are a sellers club and players wont stay forever. However career planning might help players stay a year longer or come back if weve shown we are invested in more than just their time with us.

Edit: The Nigro chat was awesome. Love the fella after that, super chill.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Good pod as always. I mentioned in the other thread that once the throw-in is taken, VAR can't go back and say it should have gone to the other team - just like an AR (or even the referee) can't at that point; once the restart is taken, it's done. That's always been the case. so can't go back before a restart. As to how far back for a foul? I think that anytime since the last restart is valid

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

So in other words they can go back to see that Mauk grabs Nisbet's arm outside the box, never let's go and then collapses in the box. i.e Mauk initiated the contact so in a 50/50 call the benefit should go to Nizzy?
huh?
That penalty should've been overturned by VAR (and shouldn't have been given in the first place - IMO it was a bigger error by Fielding than the first one) - it was a clear dive and it wasn't even a mutual foul (which, believe it or not, is still a penalty by the laws). I believe that VAR seems to have this absurd directive (I think from IFAB) that basically if there's contact, then it's not 'clear and obvious'.

see, one thing I hate now with VAR is how useless the AR has become. Should go back to calling them linesmen because that's all they do now at this level - ball in/out and offside. Well, they call the occasional foul in front of them, usually when they start getting frustrated with the ref.

At local level, for something like that in that position, you'd normally have the ref glance at the AR who gives a nod or shake of the head.

but all that aside - I'm not sure what your post has to do with not changing a restart after it's occurred?

Last edited:

pjennings

huh?
That penalty should've been overturned by VAR (and shouldn't have been given in the first place - IMO it was a bigger error by Fielding than the first one) - it was a clear dive and it wasn't even a mutual foul (which, believe it or not, is still a penalty by the laws). I know that VAR seems to have this absurd directive (I think from IFAB) that basically if there's contact, then it's not 'clear and obvious'.

see, one thing I hate now with VAR is how useless the AR has become. Should go back to calling them linesmen because that's all they do now - ball in/out and offside.

At local level, for something like that in that position, you'd normally have the ref glance at the AR who gives a nod or shake of the head.

but all that aside - I'm not sure what your post has to do with not changing a restart after it's occurred?
Just pointing out that the restart was the throw so the initial contact outside the box was relevant.

Forum Phoenix

Thanks for the latest pod team. Good balance of deserved seething hatred and football talk.

Jimmy on Mauk was my favourite moment.
So in other words they can go back to see that Mauk grabs Nisbet's arm outside the box, never let's go and then collapses in the box. i.e Mauk initiated the contact so in a 50/50 call the benefit should go to Nizzy?
Why is this so hard to see with the benefit of a replay? Just ridiculous.
yeah but what I'm saying is that once the throw is taken it can't be changed.
So, as far as VAR is concerned, whether the correct team had the throw is irrelevant.
Good to know. Just mental. But good to know.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Good to know. Just mental. But good to know.
There needs to be limit to 'how far back' - the last restart has always been the limit, since well before VAR.

It's no different down at East Gosford or Umina on a Sunday afternoon - if I'm AR, ref has missed my signal and allowed the throw to go ahead, then I just have to drop the flag and get on with it.

I mean, the ref can go back a few moments by saying he didn't intend to allow that restart and hadn't blown the whistle yet, that's fine, but I can't stand there for 20 seconds and say 'oh hey, that last restart was wrong'.

same as if the ball goes out, then I need to have the refs attention no matter how long it takes. If it leads to a goal - I HAVE to tell the ref that it went out.

If the ball goes out again and that restart is taken, then essentially whatever happened up to and including that restart is 'locked in' - the ball going out of play before no longer counts (and yes, I have faced these situations!!!).

However, I'm not clear on whether VAR has the capacity to advise the referee to check whether the restart occurred illegally - ie a foul throw or a rolling ball at a FK.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

I did forget all about Clisby getting fired up after the dive too - that was glorious.

Oh yeah, that's right - Rowles' card.

As you blokes pointed out, that ball was going to the sky - nowhere near the goal. Now, you talked about how that implies a deflection - sure, no disagreement - but the other thing, if it's going nowhere near the goal, then there's no justification for a card. I don't think you can really claim anymore that it's 'handles the ball to interfere with or stop a promising attack'.

Wombat

I did forget all about Clisby getting fired up after the dive too - that was glorious.

Oh yeah, that's right - Rowles' card.

As you blokes pointed out, that ball was going to the sky - nowhere near the goal. Now, you talked about how that implies a deflection - sure, no disagreement - but the other thing, if it's going nowhere near the goal, then there's no justification for a card. I don't think you can really claim anymore that it's 'handles the ball to interfere with or stop a promising attack'.
Hold on hold on.......the ball hits his boot, then hits his face and then possibly (not 100% confirmed) hits his hand. How the hell is that a penalty even down at Umina where anything goes?

Fielding and Ams need to be seriously looked at AND i mean financially. Being clueless is often used as an excuse but for me this looked like a concerted team effort. Never forget the likes of Fashanu and Grobbelar in a far more hybrow League than ours.

Big Dog

I'd like to see VAR only allowed to rule on handballs if the ref or AR has given a penalty for it. Otherwise, roll the dice with the ref and AR and get on with it. Just leave VAR to offside and serious foul play.

turbo

I'd like to see VAR only allowed to rule on handballs if the ref or AR has given a penalty for it. Otherwise, roll the dice with the ref and AR and get on with it. Just leave VAR to offside and serious foul play.
A change like that could have unintended consequences like refs calling them more often and having VAR review and undo them if wrong. But if wrong the attacking team has lost the momentum. Could end up like the linesmen not flagging until after play rather than getting on with it like they used to. Be careful what you wish for.

finally retired

I would go further in the use of VAR for offsides with it only being used where a goal is scored. otherwise serious fouls that lead to a red card and goal line only.

pjennings

Of you keep it at all I'd just use it for serious foul play. If you deserve to get sent off and it was missed show the ref and allow him to male the decision.

shipwreck

Whoever had the idea of it being one guy was on the money, VAR office sitting in some HQ on Sydney or Melbourne, watches every game (would only be equivalent to 12 hours work per week) accountable for all his or her decisions and then you have consistency, cost effectiveness and an embracement of technology in this age. If it cuts out, or there are IT issues, as per Ref's instinct. Play on.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami