• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Central Coast Football Branch title squads

Gen (MarinerMum)

I take your point about it being there since March however, I looked on the website and couldn't find it.  Perhaps navigating the website is to complex.  I have very good computer skills but never found the site you gave me.  I've gone on now and cannot open it.  I found information relating to 11yrs but nothing else.

the issue about clubs and reps.  I am noticing that now I'm asking the questions, some admit they are hesitant is informing or promoting ID. 

Thanks for the link

masmariner

afan said:
The current U13's lightning side with maybe, maybe some thunder added are by far the best u13's on the coast at this moment in time.  Rep football is very different and whilst there maybe some u13's out there in club and probably is, but they need to play in strong comps and not just club.  There are maybe 3 players playing PYL clubs that will probably be invited to trial but thats probably it.  Even playing field and no CCF MB politics, these 3 PYL players will be selected and some current players may miss out, thats football

What do you mean no CCF MB politics they have the final decision and all the players selected have to be approved by the CCF unfortunately, I have been told this by the coaches.

The under 13's under PP are doing well and playing attractive football and he has selected well.

afan

He has chosen well with players available. What everyone is saying not just I, is that no preference should be given to lightning or thunder as Branch is representing our region not Lightning.  PYL players must be looked at on merit and not if they play for Lightning or thunder.  We are playing in SYL which is not as strong as PYL and you can argue all you want, but best players will always want to play TOP league, I have not met one player with hope of playing this sport pro that wants to play in a second div comp , that is a fact.  So thats what I mean in regards to CCF politics players if Identified must be looked at on merits not where they play.

You can argue that not all players want to travel to training in PYL clubs etc.  Then I say to you, that is what will eventually get a player over the line, attitude, commitment and parents prepared to do the hard yards, no matter what it takes to get your kid to play in the best comp he/she can.

Also on CCF having the last say - why is that?  If we appoint a coach, part of that appointment is we set performance objectives and what we expect from this tournament be it development or win at all costs (example), coach then selects his/her players to ensure we have a chance of meeting those objectives, end of story.  I agree discussions with CCF on selections should be entered in, but final decisions is the coach, my view.

masmariner

" Also on CCF having the last say - why is that? " This is a fact and should NOT be happening
it has nothing to do with the CCF board really only the coaches selecting, it will be interesting to see who gets selected from out of area rep. clubs.

headcase

Why shouldn't the CCF Board have a say - the team is representing North West Metropolitan Branch - which is the Central Coast Association and nothing else

masmariner

headcase said:
Why shouldn't the CCF Board have a say - the team is representing North West Metropolitan Branch - which is the Central Coast Association and nothing else

For a start the team is representing "far north metro branch" - no such animal as "North West Metropolitan branch".

The branch trials are for players living in the central coast area (nothing else) the selection's are put forward by the selecting coaches who are from the CCF, why does it need board approval after that when the board have not seen the players trial. ?

Maybe you don't realise that many players don't play in the central coast lightning comp. but could choose to play in PYL in a higher comp. or for other clubs instead.

Following is part of a document from the CCF website from the HPM.
"Best of luck with your identification processes, I trust players will be selected on their performances and not reputations. Please ensure that consideration is given in priority to selection to Lightning / Thunder players and then consideration given to possible players who play for team outside of the coast and Central Coast Clubs."

To me this is wrong to state the obvious they should pick the best players not just lightning and thunder players first, the interesting thing though is that plenty of lightning players aren't trialing due to the cost and oher reason's.

The point is this is for a Football NSW comp and the best players should be picked
not just who the CCF determine's to go. Get the pointhead headcase. ?

Ziggy

There are very good points from all that have posted here and I don't know enough about the whole process so bite my head off if I say something wrong. However, I do agree that sometimes the process of player identification for the branch titles and rep for that matter are a bit mysterious. I really dont believe that there is enough information about any of this and it always seems to be that you have to be in the know to 'know' anything, and knowlegde is power as they say. So a kid has to be in thunder or lightning to be considered to trial for branch titles, or nominated by their club - so what if some clubs have not passed this on to their clubs and no one at that club knows enough about all the current players (are we assuming all clubs have devlopment officers). Fair enough clubs can assume no one is good enough,  as if they were they should be in thunder or lightning (catch 22 isnt it). Back to thunder and lightning, so selection is left to talent ID, clubs or current coach provide info on potential talent and selectors attend games (maybe, who knows) what if the coach, who as in the majority of cases at local clubs, is the parent of the child who they want to be selected for a rep team, what if they put forward their own kids name but they do not put forward any other kid who may be competition for a spot on the rep team??? Gee do you think this happens, I'm sure it could. But then this situation would be covered by the CCF talent id team attending games  - then what if some potential talent didn't play that particular game - then he or she will be missed. What if parents cannot afford to attend high performance clinic (another talent id funnel) or other methods of id. Im sorry but its all hit and miss and not very transparent. I totally agree that open trials are not the way to go, as someone else said every parent thinks that there kid is better than than are. Or the other extreme where there is talent and the parent doesn't support the child.

I strongly believe that there must be a better way to identify talented kids and we must identify and develop youth for the benefit of football in this country. It is also unfortunate that where a kid lives will advantage or disadvantage their football developement (I'm talking from a young age,  not moving to a different assoc at a latter stage when they are older as this is possible.)

I don't know what the answer is but I dont' think we are doing all we can to get the right kids in the right places or all the opportunities. And for the record I do not have a kid eligible for rep or branch selection - I just find the whole process very interesting.

My 2 cents

afan

Ziggy - you got it but Open Trails is the way to go and who cares what parents think.  Just about every country in the world has trials and they cut players, and players cry etc.  Without trials you will always have this issues of clubs not wanting to nominate for fear of loosing good players, subjective ID because they are CCF coaches etc.

On CCF having a say, they can but just a say, not final selection, this is the coaches JOB as I have said before, performance objectives.  Headcase a made this statement and explain why I feel CCF should not make the final call.

Back to Ziggy....
First of all, Coaching positions should be interviewed for, maybe they were, not sure.  Then trial and selected your top 30, then test (Speed, technique etc) to remove subjective been 100% of the mark. 

This is how it is done in SYD and PYL teams and yes kids come to trials that should not be there, guess what they are cut and then parents cry foul.  This will always happen and at leasts it stops close shops

Ziggy

Thanks afan - I think you're right, open trialing does seem a better way to go when you look at they pros and cons of both methods. Then why don't they do it here on the Central Coast? Will they change back to open trials?

masmariner

CCF will not go back to "open trials" it is a HPM policy to run it the way they do at present.

I know of a particularly talented player recommended for a lightning trial last season who didn't get a trial (don't know why) and now plays higher level than lightning and will be picked for state title's, why is this so. ?

Also plenty of players were dropping in last year for last minute lightning and thunder trials, good luck taking the best thirty there wouldn't even be that many at most trials. Also two of my kids got trials they were not nominated or anything I just turned up and asked if they could trial and they were allowed P.S. One got in.

That is wrong.

luvsoccer

masmariner said:
CCF will not go back to "open trials" it is a HPM policy to run it the way they do at present.

That is wrong.

Back in the 90's when CCSA were their own Branch open trials were held each June weekend in a round robin style tournament. Over the previous months teams were selected from clubs  in regions North South East and Central, if I remember right. Teams from each of these regions competed against each other and the same age group rep team, (eg Lightning these days), in the Round Robin tournament. This acheieved two purposes. It gave all the good players on the coast a chance to be selected and also allowed rep coaches and selectors the oportunity to see the better players on the coast.
Unfortunately in  2000 the new Board gave in to SoccerNSW and agreed to give up our local branch staus and we became part of metropolitan Sydney. After that things went downhill fast for local players. Unless you were a Coasties, now Lightning, player you did not make branch selection. This drove a lot of local players to go and play in other ares.
Now we have selection processes forced upon us by the CCF HPM. Whilst I am not currently directly involved as my grandkids do not play reps, as their dads did, it would seem from previous posts that this policy by the HPM is not popular. Maybe the Board should look at the performance of the HPM and not that of the players he has selected.

dwight

Does anyone when the squads will be announced a lot of the age groups play in July and we only have the eleven's announced on the CCF website.

Even if announced this week it will only give the squads a week or two to train.

headcase

luvsoccer said:
masmariner said:

That is wrong.

Back in the 90's when CCSA were their own Branch open trials were held each June weekend in a round robin style tournament. Over the previous months teams were selected from clubs  in regions North South East and Central, if I remember right. Teams from each of these regions competed against each other and the same age group rep team, (eg Lightning these days), in the Round Robin tournament. This acheieved two purposes. It gave all the good players on the coast a chance to be selected and also allowed rep coaches and selectors the oportunity to see the better players on the coast.
Unfortunately in  2000 the new Board gave in to SoccerNSW and agreed to give up our local branch staus and we became part of metropolitan Sydney. After that things went downhill fast for local players. Unless you were a Coasties, now Lightning, player you did not make branch selection. This drove a lot of local players to go and play in other ares.
Now we have selection processes forced upon us by the CCF HPM. Whilst I am not currently directly involved as my grandkids do not play reps, as their dads did, it would seem from previous posts that this policy by the HPM is not popular. Maybe the Board should look at the performance of the HPM and not that of the players he has selected.

A couple of good points there luv soccer about the HPM - I don't think he is popular with a lot of players, coaches, parents, officials or board members. Is he on contract or is he a full time employee?
Two issues about the branch status though - Central Coast is still their own branch just called Far North Metro (my last post about being called North west was a rushed typo). They are the only branch consisting of just one Association I think. However it was not a case of the Board giving in to Soccer NSW in 2000. Soccer NSW did not exist until the end of 2002 season when the Federation  (who the Coasties belonged to) and the NSWASF (Amateurs of which Central Coast was a part) unified and it was a condition of the unification that Central Coast lost their country branch status.

dwight

headcase what do you mean by this  "Two issues about the branch status though - Central Coast is still their own branch just called Far North Metro". Do you mean the players in the region of the central coast represent an area called "Far North Metro". ?

"They are the only branch consisting of just one Association I think." There are other clubs though in the region who may have eligible players who aren't under control or admin of CCF.

headcase

for the purpose of the NSW Branch titles "Far North Metro" is the area covered by Central Coast Football - no other association.
There are players who live in this area who play for clubs outside (ie those who play for Premier Youth League clubs) who are eligible to play for branch here. There are no clubs in the "Far North Metro" Region -that aren't part of CCF.
I have also checked and there is no other branch that consists of just one Association.

masmariner

headcase said:
for the purpose of the NSW Branch titles "Far North Metro" is the area covered by Central Coast Football - no other association.
There are players who live in this area who play for clubs outside (ie those who play for Premier Youth League clubs) who are eligible to play for branch here. There are no clubs in the "Far North Metro" Region -that aren't part of CCF.
I have also checked and there is no other branch that consists of just one Association.

There is at least one club Penang FC that is not part of CCF and has eligible players for state titles and is located in the "Far North Metro" region.

Next year I understand there will be up to two other clubs entering teams in 
representative competitions that are based on the the central coast.

luvsoccer

headcase said:
Headcase as I stated I am not up to date with the situation.
What I was saying was that prior to 2000 only players playing on CC either at club or Coasties level were in not those playing in other associations. Sorry for confusion.
In regard to HPM I have been told he is on contract but cannot confirm this nor the details.
Just feel,seemingly as many others at club level do, that we as people associated with clubs are paying for him and a car to do nothing for us. Have checked with my kids club. His wages are charged against CCF general expenses, in other words against the clubs. Seems if anything his wages should be charged against Lightning as he has done nothing for our club, do not know about yours.

headcase

I agree luvsoccer - can't see where he's done a real lot for our club either - unless you count what the 11s and 12s in the thunder development squads are getting. That's a fairly small minority in't it?
Masmariner - my apology. Being a senior club I wasn't even thinking about Penang FC or realise that they had players eligible for the Under 16s. My mistake.

That's interesting about the two other teams entering representative sides - where are they coming from and what comps will they be in? Are they going to replace existing ones or be additional?

masmariner

headcase said:
I agree luvsoccer - can't see where he's done a real lot for our club either - unless you count what the 11s and 12s in the thunder development squads are getting. That's a fairly small minority in't it?
Masmariner - my apology. Being a senior club I wasn't even thinking about Penang FC or realise that they had players eligible for the Under 16s. My mistake.

That's interesting about the two other teams entering representative sides - where are they coming from and what comps will they be in? Are they going to replace existing ones or be additional?

Penang have some players that have trialed for branch this year, and I'd say will have a lot more next year as they are planning to run juniors squads in 2009.

One of the new clubs is based in the Budgewoi area and the other one further north
they are looking at SYL and development league's

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred