• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

CCF Thunder is it working out as planned ?

masmariner

Opinions on the CCF thunder program for boys and girls is it working out as planned. ?

From what I can see the sides aren't travelling too well in the comp and I had doubts that the CCF had in fact picked the 'best' players for this comp.

Your thoughts.

masmariner

Kareem said:
1) longer term project IMO
2) wat do u mean by 'best'

2. By best I mean the players most likely to develop into rep. material.

I know of one particular age group that only invited a couple of "a" grade players to trial and as such most of the squad selected was from "b" and "c" grade teams.
The "a" players are standout's and the others are struggling to play at that level, the teams they play are not as good as local "a' grade comp.

loyalist

cant see how it would be a positive for teams such as the thunder
i played in this league for 5 years and its not exactly of the highest standard

Kareem

I have only seen u14 play and tbh- they arent that bad. And thye hvae won a couple but lost most including a 5-0, 3-0 etc.

MANUMAN

LETS BE POSITIVE ABOUT THUNDER.IN THE CASE OF THE 13S 6 OF THESE BOYS WERE IDENTIFIED BACK IN THE CCSA UNDER 10 DEVELOPMENT SQUAD,4 OF THE TEAM HAVE PREVIOUSLY PLAYED FOR LIGHTNING,THE REST OF THE SQUAD FROM THE 2007 12A COMP.THESE BOYS HAD TO ENDURE 6 WEEKS OF TRAILS TO BE SELECTED,YOU CAN ARGUE THAT THERE ARE SOME BETTER PLAYERS IN CLUB BUT SOME OF THESE BOYS WERE CUT FROM THE LIGHTNING TRAILS ON THE SECOND NIGHT AND LATER INVITED BACK FOR THUNDER TRAILS ONLY NOT TO SHOW UP.THAT IS THEIR LOSS AS THE COMPETITION IN THE SSI YOUTH LEAGUE IS FAR STRONGER THAN THE CURRENT 13A COMP.LIGHTNING 13S WOULD BE HARD PRESSED BEATING THE NEWCASTLE AND MAQUARIE SIDES,THESE TWO SIDES HAVE BEEN TOGETHER SINCE UNDER 10S AND PLAYING MONTHLY GAMES.THUNDER 13S ARE VERY COMPETITIVE WITH THESE TEAMS RECENTLY HOLDING THE TOP SIDE MAQUARIE TO NILL ALL AT HALF TIME ONLY TO GO DOWN 2 NILL,WITH A PARENT FROM MAQUARIE COMMENTING HOW MUCH WE HAVE IMPROVED SINCE THE FIRST ROUND.THE COMMENT ABOUT PLAYERS BEING PICKED FROM B & C GRADE,KNOWING MOST OF THE BOYS FROM THE 3 AGE GROUPS I FIND THIS HARD TO BELIEVE.I CONGRATULATE MB FOR GIVING THESE BOYS THE OPPORTUNITY TO PLAY AT A HIGHER LEVEL AND TO RECEIVE AN EXCELLENT LEVEL OF COACHING THAT THEY OTHERWISE WOULDNT GET.

marinermick

MANUMAN said:
LETS BE POSITIVE ABOUT THUNDER.IN THE CASE OF THE 13S 6 OF THESE BOYS WERE IDENTIFIED BACK IN THE CCSA UNDER 10 DEVELOPMENT SQUAD,4 OF THE TEAM HAVE PREVIOUSLY PLAYED FOR LIGHTNING,THE REST OF THE SQUAD FROM THE 2007 12A COMP.THESE BOYS HAD TO ENDURE 6 WEEKS OF TRAILS TO BE SELECTED,YOU CAN ARGUE THAT THERE ARE SOME BETTER PLAYERS IN CLUB BUT SOME OF THESE BOYS WERE CUT FROM THE LIGHTNING TRAILS ON THE SECOND NIGHT AND LATER INVITED BACK FOR THUNDER TRAILS ONLY NOT TO SHOW UP.THAT IS THEIR LOSS AS THE COMPETITION IN THE SSI YOUTH LEAGUE IS FAR STRONGER THAN THE CURRENT 13A COMP.LIGHTNING 13S WOULD BE HARD PRESSED BEATING THE NEWCASTLE AND MAQUARIE SIDES,THESE TWO SIDES HAVE BEEN TOGETHER SINCE UNDER 10S AND PLAYING MONTHLY GAMES.THUNDER 13S ARE VERY COMPETITIVE WITH THESE TEAMS RECENTLY HOLDING THE TOP SIDE MAQUARIE TO NILL ALL AT HALF TIME ONLY TO GO DOWN 2 NILL,WITH A PARENT FROM MAQUARIE COMMENTING HOW MUCH WE HAVE IMPROVED SINCE THE FIRST ROUND.THE COMMENT ABOUT PLAYERS BEING PICKED FROM B & C GRADE,KNOWING MOST OF THE BOYS FROM THE 3 AGE GROUPS I FIND THIS HARD TO BELIEVE.I CONGRATULATE MB FOR GIVING THESE BOYS THE OPPORTUNITY TO PLAY AT A HIGHER LEVEL AND TO RECEIVE AN EXCELLENT LEVEL OF COACHING THAT THEY OTHERWISE WOULDNT GET.

arrrgh - my eyes hurt

you might try posting in lower case next time champ

dru

marinermick said:
arrrgh - my eyes hurt

you might try posting in lower case next time champ

I thought I had turned Emo because my eyes were bleading.

merchuman, Caps lock is not your friend.

Ted

Kareem said:
I have only seen u14 play and tbh- they arent that bad. And thye hvae won a couple but lost most including a 5-0, 3-0 etc.

Thats where our main play maker from last year is now, it's obvious we have suffered without him this year..

ps: even though he played in C grade last year he was and still is an A grade player.

masmariner

MANUMAN said:

At what stage did I say the 13's thunder were picked from "b" and "c" grade players. ?

I would disagree on the comment "LIGHTNING 13S WOULD BE HARD PRESSED BEATING THE NEWCASTLE AND MAQUARIE SIDES". I dont see the 13's thunder travelling so well haven't they only had two wins and are running second last on the comp. ? Whereas the lightning 13's are
running second i think in their comp.

afan

masmariner.  You can't compare the virtues of one side being further up the table with the other, when they both play of separate comps.  Thats like comparing Lightning U13's with say Sutherland, Marconi or Blacktown who are also 1st and 2nd of their respective comps. 

So on your comparison you would argue that U13's lightning is as good as any of the top 3 PYL clubs.  If that is your view, then no matter what I say, will change that.  Reality will hit home one day.

masmariner

afan said:
masmariner.  You can't compare the virtues of one side being further up the table with the other, when they both play of separate comps.  Thats like comparing Lightning U13's with say Sutherland, Marconi or Blacktown who are also 1st and 2nd of their respective comps. 

So on your comparison you would argue that U13's lightning is as good as any of the top 3 PYL clubs.  If that is your view, then no matter what I say, will change that.  Reality will hit home one day.

Dont quote me when I never said the above but I believe the thunder comp to be a lot weaker than the SYL lightning comp hence if lightning is near the top of their comp. and thunder is near the bottom of theirs it would show that possibly the thunder could have picked some better players. Of course PYL is stronger than SYL.

" Reality will hit home one day. " - please clarify.

afan

Don't worry my mistake - from your post I believed you were trying to compare both comps and you believed SYL was the stronger etc.  I mis read you so disregard reality will hit home.

MANUMAN

Masmariner i suggest you get down and watch some of the syl and northern youth league games before you make comment on standard between the two.It is thought by many who have experienced both leagues that NYL is stronger and to suggest that local A grade is stronger than NYL is absolutely ridiculous.Maquarie and Newcastle sides would do well in either PYL or SYL they have played lightning in the past and more than held their own.They have also previously tried to enter the sydney rep comp only to be knocked back by soccer nsw.As for thunder possibly not picking the so called better players,where are these better players ? why werent they identified previously by their club or ccsa and invited for a trail? So do yourself a favour and come and watch some these two leagues and maybe your opinion may change ,but i very much dout it.

masmariner

MANUMAN said:
Masmariner i suggest you get down and watch some of the syl and northern youth league games before you make comment on standard between the two.It is thought by many who have experienced both leagues that NYL is stronger and to suggest that local A grade is stronger than NYL is absolutely ridiculous.Maquarie and Newcastle sides would do well in either PYL or SYL they have played lightning in the past and more than held their own.They have also previously tried to enter the sydney rep comp only to be knocked back by soccer nsw.As for thunder possibly not picking the so called better players,where are these better players ? why werent they identified previously by their club or ccsa and invited for a trail? So do yourself a favour and come and watch some these two leagues and maybe your opinion may change ,but i very much dout it.

" It is thought by many who have experienced both leagues that NYL is stronger ", could you please clarify who of any substance thinks this. ? I must ask the question if this is the case then why has CCF management decided to put the best players in lightning shouldn't they put them in the Thunder comp. ? (Make the thunder the top comp. then and make the lightning the development comp.)

The CCF identification and selection process does not work, I saw first hand plenty of players trial for thunder who did not get selected and were far better than some of those who got selected. Some of those not selected got contracts in Sydney SYL and PYL clubs. One of my own kids got selected for thunder. 

afan

MANUMAN.  They would do well in SYL or PYL- so you are an expert in PYL right?  That is a huge call and maybe you should also get down and watch Sutherland, B'town , Marconi before u make such claims. 

All comps have their merits and none can be compared....

afan

WOW, I watched thunder play yesterday and if yesterday is, what kids are been taught, then THUNDER is not working as planned but then again I dare say it is, because what are the plans and performance objectives of this venture, DARE I SAY MONEY, MONEY

The style of football was less than enjoyable and I did not witness any passage of plays, that even mirrors what rep football is all about or more so what football IS, it is a game of possession, skill, tenacity, speed, strength mental and physical etc.  All I saw was the big boot and hope for the best.

I'm sorry but it was less than satisfying.  I know I will be shot for this but these kids deserve better

MANUMAN

Imust have been watching a different gameas i didnt see any football as you described it,a bigboot hoping for the best.Ithink its a cheap shot at ccf and the coaches.The boys are definately not taught to boot the ball anywhere and hope for the best ,there taught to play football the way it should be played.You sound very bitter towards ccf and the thunder venture,maybe your kid missed selection for a rep side.Why dont you apply for a coaching position with ccf for 2009 as you seem such an expert on rep football and show these boys how they should be playing.Its very easy to be critical from the sidelines.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred