• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

CC MARINERS vs JETS R1 HAL 10

Capt. Awesome

I'm an optimist so will put a few positive comments to balance out the many negatives! Some already mentioned.
We always start slow so not worth reading too much into it.
The team selection would definately had tomorrows FFA cup game as a factor. Can't argue with 9 of the selections really, Hutch was not surprising given it was a derby. As much as i wanted Caceres, Trif and Fitzy in the side I think those 3 will be a good chance of playing both on Tuesday and Saturday. Am hoping Vernes will make an impact soon, we need more creativity.
I think there will be a fair bit of change in the opening 5 or 6 games in order to determine our best starting 11 and get as many players as possible match fit. I think a core of 8 will start most games if fit- Reddy/Storm/Boz/Ando/Rosey/Monty/Dukey/Mane. Then it comes down to 3 from Kim/Sim/Matty/Fitzy/Vernes/Trif/Caceres/Hutch/Cernack. Not easy.
Defence is looking solid, nice to keep a clean sheet.
We will get alot better once we start to gel.
Pretty good crowd.

Must beat the Nix next week....it'll only get harder and maximum points after 2 rounds will make life alot easier going forward.
Another positive is I think our back were more comfortable on the ball. Didn't panic like last year and seemed to have a plan in place with Monty and Hutch to help out when needed.

Kareem

Couple of questions guys?

1) was dukey on the wing the entire match?
I missed the beginning.
2) where was dukey playing on the pitch for the majority of preseason?
3) where was Malick Mane playing the majority of the preseason?
Thanks

nebakke

Couple of questions guys?

1) was dukey on the wing the entire match?
I missed the beginning.
2) where was dukey playing on the pitch for the majority of preseason?
3) where was Malick Mane playing the majority of the preseason?
Thanks

From memory, so I don't know how reliable it is - but

1) - The way I saw it, Dukey was anchored on the wing, but I think he, Mane and Sim swapped around a bit in attack. So basically, yes ;)
2) I'm pretty sure he played on the wing, although he may have been in the middle in Wollongong...
3) The games he's been involved in, I think he's mainly come off the bench, onto the wing.

(You've gotta love the old "I don't know what I'm talking about, but I'm going to post something anyway" ;) )

localpom

One thing i noticed from Saturday was that we didn't have a genuine defensive sub. Or have i missed something? Cernak replaced Storm so obviously Mossy trusts him there, wonder if he would cover for a CB if needed, or more likely Monty or Hutch drop back and stick Caceres or Trif in the DM pozzie.

true believer

[QUOTE="nebakke, post: 199965, member: 1447]

(You've gotta love the old "I don't know what I'm talking about, but I'm going to post something anyway" ;) )[/QUOTE]

it works for me

Capt. Awesome

I was at the game but just watched the replay on Fox. We were terrible. I came away from that game happy we won which covered that fact that we had nothing but Mane in that game.

I really hope its just an off game or we will definitely be wooden spoon.

Moss should really be looking at how we can effectively us Mane. Numerous times he crossed into good position with with no one there to capitalise or poor finish from the receiver.

He is definitely a good target man player.

shipwreck

I'd argue Mane would be better suited on the left wing, we need Matty Simon on the end of those crosses across goal

Roy Law

Can I just say as well.. Suck it the f*** up everyone. I'm disappointed too, but looking at some of the other forums especially, there're already CCM "fans" angling to get rid of Mossy, attacking half the players for being less than adequate etc. etc... I know everyone's frustrated with the club and disappointed with the relatively poor quality of the game yesterday, which'd be alright, if it hadn't been more-or-less going on for the last two weeks. Wtf is going on? So we've had an average off-season, it hasn't exactly been disastrous and we've won both the FFA cup games.
We're supposed to be the better club, spirit-wise, it's supposedly the thing that keeps us together and one of the big things in terms of engaging the local crowd... We're the club that laughed at Sydney when they tried to poach Arnie, because "we've had two coaches in 8 years" - because we DON'T fire the coach at the drop of a hat.
Mossy picked up a disheveled looking team on a heading to mediocrity, at best, and pulled them through to a third place in a season where, by-rights, they should've finished outside finals contention. And yet, there seem to be a lot of people who feel that he hasn't even begun to prove himself and that in actual fact, he's a piss-poor coach, etc etc.
I can understand the occasional complaint etc, but we're starting to sound like a bunch of Jets fans, giving up on the club and generally thinking the worst of anyone related to it. I know that Nick Horner quote about following a football team being an incomprehensible mixture of love and hate, but seriously, we've played one (count them, 1) game this season, and already, you can see the calls mounting to a "Mossy out" campaign... We're NOT the f***ing smurfs, we don't just roll over, give up and go looking for a new coach just because of a couple of bad games...
1) We can't afford it
2) WE'RE F***ING BETTER THAN THEM!

tldr - Sour grapes, feel free to disregard and move on, I just had to get it off my chest.
I am happy to criticise Mossy when I think appropriate but in no way do I want, or have I ever said, that he is not up to the task. I have no idea where the idea has come from that he should go, and I doubt many in the crowd, not on some forum, think he should go either.

nebakke

I am happy to criticise Mossy when I think appropriate but in no way do I want, or have I ever said, that he is not up to the task. I have no idea where the idea has come from that he should go, and I doubt many in the crowd, not on some forum, think he should go either.

I suppose I could have been clearer... My problem isn't with the criticism, we've had that in the past and as has already been mentioned, this is a forum, there should be room for it... My sense was just that much of the criticism has been increasingly more aggressive towards him, than in the past, could well just be paranoid on his behalf I suppose...

Wombat

Worth noting that in pre-season and the 1st game we haven't lost to another A league side who are probably all a bit ahead of us preparation wise ( ACL commitments made us later coming back to pre-season training), and won the 2 FFA games. Would have been good to have had a couple more games but it wasn't that bad.

You weren't at Lisarow then.

Wombat

I've no idea what you want Wombat, so I'll guess it's starting off with no Hutcho and add another striker and *presto* there'll be goals. I seriously doubt that will work...

Biggest problem yesterday was giving up the ball. Quality and composure were lacking. Far more concerning than the idea that Kim is soft or whatever is that he didn't really bring much to the table - pretty but not threatening. Let's hope he comes good, but at this point I'd rather see Trifiro. I'd also rather see Fitzy than Sim. Those two changes alone might bring us some quality and some aggression that we're missing.

Otherwise, as we saw through the course of the game yesterday we've got pace at the moment up front but not a whole lot of technique. We're not looking like we're going to delicately pick sides apart. We're more likely to carve through them with pace and power. Could've had more that way on the weekend, and the encouraging thing was that the defence looked stiffer (and accordingly, we're the only side to keep a clean sheet).

Melbourne Victory in 06/7 were one of the most dominant sides in A-League history and they effectively played with a something that looked like 3 DMs a lot of the time, and instead of central strikers they had Alsopp and Thompson prowling the flanks and looking to hit on the break.

It worked for them then and it might work for us now. We already play with a flexible front 4 - there's not a lot we'd need to change. Mane, Fitzy and Duke cycling about in front of Trifiro, *keep* the two DMs (who both had pretty decent games and settled players around them) and see what happens.

You know what I want.....and I'm not sure why you argue. You have stated that (in our current set up) you don't think we would make the top 6. How can you be happy with that?

I would like to go back to 442 or even the 433 you spoke about.

I don't want two DM's and I would pick Monty over Hutch.

I prefer 2 strikers but can live with a attacking number 9.

People posted many excellent looking teams (in the what should be our starting 11 post) that I believe would have smashed Newcastle.

Last edited:

dibo

Because I've been asking for weeks for a rationale for all these people who would start with people over Hutch. I can only figure it's fashionable to hang shit on him because there's no actual rationale provided by *anyone* - it's just apparently obvious and no further thought is needed. I think it's ridiculous groupthink - the justification is simply that lots of people agree with you.

If you just want people to agree with you, probably best you put me on your ignore list. That goes for anyone else too.

Wombat

Many reasons have been written by many people. You just keep ignoring those points while stating Hutcho should start regardless.
Anyway it's getting boring now.
Let's hope we go well tomorrow and let's hope Vernes gets a good run because he has quality.

shelleybeach

Enjoyed this a lot, just realised I can watch the a-league free. As others said it was a pretty poor game, with a lot of mistakes, and mariners put themselves under pressure getting it out from the back. Still got the win, and late winner got me whooping!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred