• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Call to all fans

style_cafe

Just another article I found that may interest a few on here.
There is another topic here similar to this & the article re-iterates some of the ideas that we have expressed.

Saturday, March 26, 2011
by Matt Greenlaw
Let's move on from directing blame on Football Federation Australia. They've had an ear-full and they've plenty of time to take on board our suggestions, criticisms and complaints. Instead let us turn our attention to the individual Hyundai A-League clubs and what they can be doing in the build up to season seven.

Jesse Fink this week called on Australian clubs to look to Major League Soccer for inspiration on how to sell their football product. It's fair to say there's much to be learned from the American competition as the similarities are plain to see; competing codes, a largely disinterested population and the gap in quality between European football are but a few. A key difference however is budget.

Fink suggests through his LA Galaxy analogy that clubs would be well served hiring a large team of dedicated sales representatives - of up to 50 personnel. Surely this is unrealistic for Hyundai A-League clubs struggling to avoid bleeding further cash. At least this is what I screamed to myself whilst reading the apparently ludicrous idea.

But is it?

Many A-League clubs already utilize volunteers on game day to great effect. Melbourne Victory for example have approximately 30 dedicated supporters each season to help during matches - many of them long term servants of the club.

"Their role is crucial and the club couldn't successfully execute match day operations without the help of our dedicated team of volunteers" a Melbourne Victory spokesman said.

There is no doubt scope to utilize these volunteers or indeed a new set of volunteers in the preseason/season push for memberships and ticket sales. Instead of, or in tandem with automated messages and emails could a team of volunteer club personnel do the ring around asking past members to renew? Why not involve the players in a telethon-styled membership drive and publicize it as an event?

Perhaps instead of using volunteers the sales team could be made from OTE-based employees who work solely on commission, solving a possible problem of unskilled volunteers negatively impacting on sales.

Regardless of how clubs decide to go about selling their product a continued effort is needed to use fans as their greatest resource. The 'Fan Made' promotion, albeit lacklustre in execution, holds true - it's why Fan Forums taking place across the country have been so well attended by club officials who truly realise their fans' importance. The next step is to act.

It is time for the Hyundai A-League to grow it's volunteer army.

But with most franchises struggling on numerous fronts who is to say that it is the clubs who should take initiative? If you are a fan of your local A-League franchise and feel your services would have a positive impact on your club I encourage you to get in contact with them. All contact details are readily available on the respective club websites and you will no doubt be warmly received.

Volunteer today, before the FFA is forced to bring back conscription.

krusty

I don't know if the mariners have done this before but it's just an idea what about a big members drive by setting up some stores at the major shopping centers Deepwater,Gosford, Tuggerah and Erina for a couple of weekends offering early bird memberships. It could be run by volunteers. We could have signs Our Coast Our Team some photos of our games ie the grand final maybe even a video running of highlights of this year something to get the people excited show them the great atmosphere that we have at the games. A few players signing autographs maybe even a few give aways. I am sure this would not coast much but i think we need to start a push now not wait until the season starts. This is just an idea. One thing the mariners have have shown if we all work as a team we don't need a big budget to get good results so lets all work together and keep this club as the best club in the a-league.

samster

I don't know if the mariners have done this before but it's just an idea what about a big members drive by setting up some stores at the major shopping centers Deepwater,Gosford, Tuggerah and Erina for a couple of weekends offering early bird memberships. It could be run by volunteers. We could have signs Our Coast Our Team some photos of our games ie the grand final maybe even a video running of highlights of this year something to get the people excited show them the great atmosphere that we have at the games. A few players signing autographs maybe even a few give aways. I am sure this would not coast much but i think we need to start a push now not wait until the season starts. This is just an idea. One thing the mariners have have shown if we all work as a team we don't need a big budget to get good results so lets all work together and keep this club as the best club in the a-league.

Would definitly put my hand up if anything like this came up, would just have to walk down to deepwater, it would be sweet, in reply to OP i know a few friends who help out with volunteer stuff (centre mat, handouts etc)

Woodsy

The more people that get behind this great club the better. Not sure if it would help a great deal but might be worth a try. If existing members introduces a new member to the club then the existing member should get a discount on their season pass. This may encourage existing members to ask amongst friends and family. Also the club gives out junior memberships to all the local soccer juniors maybe its an option to give out a free mariners t shirt or hat to any mariner junior member who signs up a new adult member for the season.

Muppet

As I have said in previous posts these are all wonderful ideas. But has anyone approached the club? I believe that the club should be out there flogging off memberships now, not six weeks prior to kickoff. We all know how successful the Bears have been in this regard. Allegedly 7000 members. I am sure we could get the same if the club got off its backside and utilised it's fan base to do the same thing.

Jesus

Jesus
As I have said in previous posts these are all wonderful ideas. But has anyone approached the club? I believe that the club should be out there flogging off memberships now, not six weeks prior to kickoff. We all know how successful the Bears have been in this regard. Allegedly 7000 members. I am sure we could get the same if the club got off its backside and utilised it's fan base to do the same thing.

They are like $20 though arent they?

But certainly more could be done

krusty

Yes i have emailed the club with this idea and i am waiting a response i will chase this up if i dont here from them within a week. If the club likes the idea i hope i can count on everyone to help.

Muppet

They are like $20 though arent they?

But certainly more could be done

True on the cost, however a good salesman knows that the more you get out there to sell your wares the greater the chance of increasing your sales. It is all about direct marketing at the end of the day.

krusty

I emailed the club this idea and this is the response

Thanks for your email regarding our Membership drive and we appreciate your passion in wanting to help the club drive our Member base.

The situation currently is that CCM have been operating without a Membership/Ticketing resources since October and the appointment for this position has only just been made in the last few days. We are therefore not able to go to market with our Membership program until this resource is in place.

We also use a UK CRM program which is not yet ready to go live and the club would not be able to launch Memberships without an online renewal program.

Please be assured the Club is busy working behind the scenes to develop our 2011/12 Membership program but we are not likely to launch until June as the season will this year not commencing until October.

With regards to using the line “Our Coast Our Team” the Central Coast Bears are currently using this for their bid and as we used it in Year 1 we would not look to try and emulate it now.

Thanks for your loyal support!

Kind Regards

Beverley

Beverley Seers
Marketing Manager | Central Coast Mariners FC
P 02 4353 7200 | F 02 4353 7211 | M 0416 729 199
www.ccmariners.com.au

I still think this is a good idea and i will wait unitl june then email them again. I seen a commercial on fox advertising membership for the Brisbane roar. (were did they get the money for that)

style_cafe

Wow!!! I`m amazed!

You actually got a reply?

I sent an email to them over six weeks ago & am still waiting.

I sincerely hope that the new membership manager? has some ideas as we seem to be so far behind the other clubs in this area & it`s something that can actually be gauged with our attendences.

If the new MM is smart they will utilise the offers of help that have been offered here.

I`m still shaking my head that it`s taken over 6 months to appoint someone when the people here (who actually love the Club) would have filled the gap, at next to no cost at all. :soapbox:

bikinigirl

Brisbane was advertising their next season memberships on grand final day haha

. with an early bird discount i believe ... excellent idea to cash in on the euphoria

. the lycra-clad dollybirds handing out the flyers may have helped too ... shame they couldn't differentiate orange from yellow

Muppet

I emailed the club this idea and this is the response

I still think this is a good idea and i will wait unitl june then email them again. I seen a commercial on fox advertising membership for the Brisbane roar. (were did they get the money for that)

I dont mean to sound harsh or critical but these are all ordinary excuses. No marketing person, no UK CRM (WTF), no this, no that. Who said about online enrollment. If they had any sense they would be out there in the shopping centres, at Sports fields etc now taking commitments of say $50 with the rest to be paid when the online system is up and running. What happened to snail mail and someone in the office manually inputing information into a database. This person is supposedly the Marketing Manager. What is/has she doing since October?

Jazzie

Sheer joy at beating the scum :)
I'm pretty disappointed that I haven't seen any Mariners marketing going on locally. If there has been some going on, I missed it. Seems to me the club management obviously want and need more paying fans, however are loathe to actually get out there and get people interested. Maybe they are all having a snooze.

Roy Law

The point about marketing is that you shouldn't miss it so I would say there has been little or none. Six players in the Olyroos/ under 20s? Obviously not worth telling the world about...

krusty

I dont mean to sound harsh or critical but these are all ordinary excuses. No marketing person, no UK CRM (WTF), no this, no that. Who said about online enrollment. If they had any sense they would be out there in the shopping centres, at Sports fields etc now taking commitments of say $50 with the rest to be paid when the online system is up and running. What happened to snail mail and someone in the office manually inputing information into a database. This person is supposedly the Marketing Manager. What is/has she doing since October?
i emailed the club about this and the response was we have little money and doing our best with what we have.

midfielder

In Hal one, myself and a group of business folk took a great interest in the A-League, specifically in the Mariners... we had a friend who was a volunteer and worked on the sidelines ....

Through our friend we sort in writing a meeting with senior Mariner management including LG ... the purpose of the meeting was not for money but to pass on what we believed were excellent marketing ideas....

We sort no money and wanted no work... simply to offer some free advise .... the management refused to even talk to us never mind have a meeting.... the others all dropped out ....

I have never mentioned this before and have always talked up our management ... but I have always tho we had some IMO excellent ideas and all we wanted to do was present and explain them .... they may have been dogs of ideas however we never got to the point of even a call to say no thanks just a message tho the volunteer they had everything under control...

In light of many comments on this forum I tho I would mention it...

krusty

In Hal one, myself and a group of business folk took a great interest in the A-League, specifically in the Mariners... we had a friend who was a volunteer and worked on the sidelines ....

Through our friend we sort in writing a meeting with senior Mariner management including LG ... the purpose of the meeting was not for money but to pass on what we believed were excellent marketing ideas....

We sort no money and wanted no work... simply to offer some free advise .... the management refused to even talk to us never mind have a meeting.... the others all dropped out ....

I have never mentioned this before and have always talked up our management ... but I have always tho we had some IMO excellent ideas and all we wanted to do was present and explain them .... they may have been dogs of ideas however we never got to the point of even a call to say no thanks just a message tho the volunteer they had everything under control...

In light of many comments on this forum I tho I would mention it...

It does seem that they are not interested in our ideas no matter how good or bad they are. All we are trying to do is help the club that we all love.

Roy Law

Unfortunately despite LG always talking up the community aspect of the Mariners this kind of story keeps appearing from time to time. I believe the attitude of the club is a key factor in the decline in attendances and community interest. It's a niggling worry at the back of my mind. Perhaps with LG out of the picture it could be time to approach the club again although I get the impression from some in small business that I know that the horse has bolted. However, ever the optimist, given that Peter Turnbull was giving out flags to fans outside the Claxton at the GF, he may be inclined to listen.
BTW midfielder - may I, gently, correct you - the word is 'sought' (not 'sort') from the verb To Seek...

style_cafe

As I see it there is a great deal of concern in this area & a number of people willing to help.

I do not want to tread on any toes here,but it would be logical for all those interested to have a meeting,list our concerns & solutions & then elect a delegation to meet with the club.

Maybe a meeting could be set up with the new marketing manager & membership manager.

Surely they wouldn`t be so blind as to decline an offer of help from some 10-20 volunteers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred