• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

banner on F3

Pokes

Maybe....after the media doo-whacky tomorrow...we get our balaclavas...and our face paint...and climb to ploddy and paint her good.

O yeah.

grecquemariner

Timmah said:
Ploddy was Australia's first giant roadside icon and she now has an even more prominent vantage point. She sits atop a hill adjacent to the Sydney-Newcastle freeway seen every year by over 40 million passing vehicles. So next time you see this proud mascot give her a wave and come on into the Australian Reptile Park where you will enjoy the best family funday out.

The only problem with this statement is that Ploddy is in fact the only Giant road side attraction to be of correct or smaller scale then the original. To have a giant Diplodicus would mean one about the size of 3 houses. 

marconigirl

If, and I am saying this as a big IF (almost as big as Ploddy)..
the Newcastle scum somehow manage to cheat their way into winning, will Ploddy be going poo colour???
Didn't he go blue after Sydney won in V1??? (or am I thinking of another time?)

Chimmi

banish the thought! - from memory we let Sydney paint Ploddy because it was arranged beforehand as part of a bet that both supporter groups agreed to.

Rowdy

marconigirl said:
Newcastle scum somehow manage to cheat their way into winning, will Ploddy be going poo colour???

lol, this WAS his original colour when he lived at the Wyomimg site (where the Aldi is now)

Rowdy

Timmah said:
No, he was yellow.

um, NO!

started climbing all over him, since about 1974  ::).
greeny/brown colour to try? reflect the true colour of a dinosaur (how would one know the true colour? ???).

Painted yellow in the early 90's to try and help promote the reptile park which at the time was losing money, which ultimately caused the relocation to Somersby.  8)

greenpoint

So, does anyone have a photo of that banner on the f3 yet?

I'm dying to see it, and won't be on that road until sunday.

Brighty

Rowdy said:
Timmah said:
No, he was yellow.

um, NO!

started climbing all over him, since about 1974  ::).
greeny/brown colour to try? reflect the true colour of a dinosaur (how would one know the true colour? ???).

Painted yellow in the early 90's to try and help promote the reptile park which at the time was losing money, which ultimately caused the relocation to Somersby.  8)

Well, I don't go back as far as the 'early' 70's... but i do know for a fact that it was yellow in the mid 80's... I went there on numerous school excursions and went there quite frequently during school holidays.
I'm sure my old girl could pull a few old pics from somewhere!!!

Ohhh, and on the gender of Ploddy.... I'll vote for female as well.... I climbed in her hole many a time!!

Aimeee

I've always been under the impression that Ploddy was female.
Until a few years ago I lived on the same block as that of the old reptile park, my house practically backed onto it. I remember when they moved Ploddy, and Dad and I grabbed a chunk of yellow concrete from her leg, as a bit of a keepsake I spose. I think i have a photo or two somewhere.

I don't ever remember Ploddy having a hole though...

rev

I too have been up inside Ploddy - or should I say inside "Dino"!!!!  :eek:

From  http://www.gosford.nsw.gov.au/library/local_history/Suburbs/documents/wyoming.html

""Dino" the Diplodocus (later known as "Ploddy")
A life-size Diplodocus (now known as "Ploddy) was constructed in early 1963. "Dino", built of concrete and steel, is probably the oldest "big thing" beside a road anywhere in Australia. By comparison, The "Big Banana" at Coffs Harbour was not opened until December 1964. "Dino's" name apparently derives from "Dino", the pet dinosaur in the 1960s cartoon series "The Flintstones".

(nice pic)

When the Australian Reptile Park relocated to Somersby in 1996, "Dino" became the star of a parade through the streets of Gosford. At the time of the move to Somersby, "Dino" acquired the new name through wide publicity as "Ploddy". Craned onto the back of a truck (without its feet, which reportedly caused distress to Wyoming schoolchildren!), the 30-tonne dinosaur very slowly made the journey up Kariong Hill to his new home. "Ploddy" is seen daily by thousands of F3 Freeway users, and is heritage-listed. "

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred