• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Australia's bid for the 2018 or 2022 World Cup

serious14

In the year of the Rugby World Cup (2003), the Waratahs, Reds, and Brumbies got together with the ARU and they came up with a scheme that gave season pass holders of those teams priority access when applying for tickets to any RWC game.  They made this public knowledge right around renewal time in late 2002.  Cue record attendances for the Super 12 (as it was back then) in 2003, and thus ridiculously good attendances for 95% of the games played.

Surely the FFA would embrace a similar model??  It should also be noted that around 75% of the new people who joined up solely to take advantage of priority access to WC tickets stayed on for the 2004 season.  So simple, yet so effective.

marinermick

serious14 said:
In the year of the Rugby World Cup (2003), the Waratahs, Reds, and Brumbies got together with the ARU and they came up with a scheme that gave season pass holders of those teams priority access when applying for tickets to any RWC game.  They made this public knowledge right around renewal time in late 2002.  Cue record attendances for the Super 12 (as it was back then) in 2003, and thus ridiculously good attendances for 95% of the games played.

Surely the FFA would embrace a similar model??  It should also be noted that around 75% of the new people who joined up solely to take advantage of priority access to WC tickets stayed on for the 2004 season.  So simple, yet so effective.

so simple yet so brilliant

sydney fc would be laughing big time, as would all the clubs

Redline

marinermick said:
serious14 said:

so simple yet so brilliant

sydney fc would be laughing big time, as would all the clubs

Wouldn't work for Scumtown though....I think we'd end up getting their 'fans'

Jesus

Jesus
Goldenboy said:
China's Domestic league is more professional.

China's domestic league was held up for month last year due to bribery of officials and numerous other scandals.

Fifa is said to be unhappy with how foreigners were treated in beijing apparently, and would expect much more openess to give them the world cup.

Jesus

Jesus
Japan are apparently looking to throw their hat into the ring according to quotes on twg.

Not sure they would get it, since they were the last host in asia. Though the quotes sounded more like someone high up saying "i dont see why not" rather than we are go.

Arabmariner

Jesus said:
Japan are apparently looking to throw their hat into the ring according to quotes on twg.

Not sure they would get it, since they were the last host in asia. Though the quotes sounded more like someone high up saying "i dont see why not" rather than we are go.
They won't get it but they could split our vote and f**k up our chances imo.

Kareem

hmmm
in areas- I doubt more than 10-15 k of locals (and even in newcastle-central coast areas that would be a bit of a struggle)
would 25-30k of ehtnics/tourists of relevent 'small' teams come to support???
And another thing- I would travel anywhere across Australia to watch Egypt- but a lot of Egyptians I know wouldnt! Maybe 1 hour-1.5 hour max. They wouldn't go interstate. Would other nationalities do so?

Paolo

Kareem said:
hmmm
in areas- I doubt more than 10-15 k of locals (and even in newcastle-central coast areas that would be a bit of a struggle)
And another thing- I would travel anywhere across Australia to watch Egypt- but a lot of Egyptians I know wouldnt! Maybe 1 hour-1.5 hour max. They wouldn't go interstate. Would other nationalities do so?
olympic stadium filled with 100 000 people watching sports they dont give  af**k about for the 4 years in between.......world cup would sell out every game no trouble

loyalist

Kareem said:
hmmm
Yes as other nationalities actually have some pride in their homeland

serious14

Jesus said:
Fifa is said to be unhappy with how foreigners were treated in beijing apparently

Which I don't quite understand - we were asked for our papers once the entire time we were there, and it was because we were catching a taxi home from Tianjin after the Olyroos game (was around 11.30 by this stage), so to the police, an out of town taxi with four foreigners in it would appear quite suss.

The only foreigners who were mistreated/whatever term you want to use were the ones (protesters, mainly) who actively went looking for trouble.

Arabmariner

keensy said:
Kareem said:
hmmm
olympic stadium filled with 100 000 people watching sports they dont give  af**k about for the 4 years in between.......world cup would sell out every game no trouble
And all the Olympic football games which were held all over the country sold out aswell.

Chimmi

serious14 said:
Jesus said:
Fifa is said to be unhappy with how foreigners were treated in beijing apparently

Which I don't quite understand - we were asked for our papers once the entire time we were there, and it was because we were catching a taxi home from Tianjin after the Olyroos game (was around 11.30 by this stage), so to the police, an out of town taxi with four foreigners in it would appear quite suss.

The only foreigners who were mistreated/whatever term you want to use were the ones (protesters, mainly) who actively went looking for trouble.

Didn't you have diplomatic papers?

serious14

Yeah - didn't change the fact that the police still wanted to check them out.  Once they saw what they were they let us on our way.

Jorome Alexander Bennett

A crowd of 100,000 in Melbourne against Japan will help our chances.
We have been getting really good crowd figures, comparable to other nations, to our NT games.

At Sydney 2000 we got great crowds, and those events are very lame.
I went to several olympic events, including a Women's Volleyball match. Egypt and maybe Poland were playing. There was a great crowd. So if people are willing to pay, travel, create atmos for even the lamest events, they will go to bloody WC matches.
It's the Word Cup!

If we were to host it, I would be over the moon with even just half the success of the Rugby League World Cup.

marinermick

exactly jerome - i went to the archery and cheered the russians on against the yanks

in fact most of the crowd did

the fact that all of the games of the world cup are easily over subscribed will mean sell outs for every game

Bear

Anyone who went to the Sydney olympic football final will know that every wc game in Australia would be sold out

A full stadium of people all singing "CAMEROON, CAMEROON" myself included. Had no idea who played for Cameroon, and im sure half the people there didnt either, but it was the love of football and the underdog that got people behind it.

Kareem

forzamariners said:
Kareem said:
hmmm
Yes as other nationalities actually have some pride in their homeland
dont make comments about things you don't know anything about!  :redcard:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred