• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Australia's bid for the 2018 or 2022 World Cup

brett

northernspirit said:
brett said:
Fantastic!

It's going to be f**kin hard being in the southern hemisphere and with the countries lining up against us.

But it would be a joke if the USA had it again so soon, and we best fit the criteria for 'emerging football nation', plus we know how to hold a f**kin good event. There's a lot of pros and cons for our bid tbh. As we know, so much of the work is done behind closed doors and under the table. In Lowy we...place our hopes.
alot of wheeling and dealing, i hope the FFA recruits some of the people from the sydney 2000 bid to assist with it all... usa cant have it, its a bigger marrket but as you said its too recent.

i just hope we dont put all our eggs in the one basket, miss out on 2018 to england and get shafted by the afc on 2022 in favour of a bid from another asian nation - this is why we really need the decision for both 2018 and 2022 to be made at the same time... 2022 wc in aus is a very nice consilation assuming the northern hemisphere will get 2018

You're right - some clarity from FIFA from their meeting later this month will be welcome as to how the bids will work for 2018 and 2022. Although I can't see us setting our sights on 2022 all of a sudden (the government wouldn't give us 46 mil if we weren't certain on 2018) it would be a terrible shame if we miss out altogether because we've gone for the wrong year.

northernspirit

thats it
but frank lowy hasnt made squillions from being an idiot, hes a smart guy
my guess is he wants 2018 because he's afraid he'll cark it by 2022 :)

Kareem

i would say
2018= fight against northern hemisphere
2022= fight against China
therefore I agree with 2019 bid i guess
we got no chance vs China
China is the logical choice from a non-bias POV
Bigger nation, emergin football nation etc.

Arabmariner

2018 and 2022 to be decided one after the other.Fail with the first bid and we can bid straight away for 2022.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/7744916.stm

northernspirit

china has a shit n.t, they didnt even make final stage of wc qualifying...
we're now top in asia - so i actually think were a better chance than them - would rather only 1 AFC bid so all of asia can get behind us though

Bear

imo i think we are dreaming, and it will be a LONG time before we are seriously considered to host a wc. happy to eat my words, just my gut feeling though.

Kareem

Bearinator said:
imo i think we are dreaming, and it will be a LONG time before we are seriously considered to host a wc. happy to eat my words, just my gut feeling though.
+1
northernspirit said:
china has a shit n.t, they didnt even make final stage of wc qualifying...
we're now top in asia
hmmm
South Africa don't have that flash a team either!
They are probably 8-11th best in Africa IMHO (i really dont rate em)
Anyway my point is that they dont care that much about National Team Standing IMO. Egypt got overlooked.
If Egypt got overlooked for Sth Africa...which IMO isnt that much appealing...
then Australia vs China. They have a population 70x (roughly?) ours! Not to mention this could be seen as an integral step in establishing China as a football powerhouse
I think China >>> Australia in a bid
Especially considering they just did a dcent job hosting Olympics- maybe not as good as Sydney IMO (bias???) but they would do a much better job of hosting World Cup than South Africa IMO!

Paolo

Kareem said:
South Africa don't have that flash a team either!
They are probably 8-11th best in Africa IMHO (i really dont rate em)
Anyway my point is that they dont care that much about National Team Standing IMO. Egypt got overlooked.
If Egypt got overlooked for Sth Africa...which IMO isnt that much appealing...
South Africa got picked as realistically it is the only African nation capable of hosting a WC...not really that hard to figure out

serious14

Kareem said:
Especially considering they just did a dcent job hosting Olympics- maybe not as good as Sydney IMO (bias???)

Considerable bias I would say....... they did a _lot_ of things better than Sydney did.  Having said that, Sydney did some things better as well.  Just not as many.

Kareem

well taking away my bias
i see not many reasons at all why we would be more deserving of hosting the olympics ???
Apart from having a superior national team
we don't have the population and are possibly struggling for facilities atm.
Do you see 25k+ showing up for games???
I can easily see 25k+ showing up even for the 'small' games!

serious14

You talking Olympics or World Cup now??

The main barrier to us hosting the World Cup is the facilities/stadia.  We don't have the required minimum as per FIFA rules, and I'm not sure our airports would be able to handle the major influx of people without significant troubles.  Sydney Airport is up there with the best (or worst??) when it comes to "levels of failure".

And yes, I could easily see every game being a sellout (or close to).  This is one of those events that everyone gets into, regardless of who's playing.

Jorome Alexander Bennett

China agreed not to bid on 2018 when it was a bidding process just for that WC.
Now that is it for both they will surely come in.
China's Domestic league is more professional. Has promotion and relegation. They are a market that FIFA harcore wants to convert. They proved with the Olympics that they can host a big sports carnival really well.
It seems that all the things Australia has going for it China also has, but more so.

I think we are a great chance to win the hosting rights for 2022, only if China don't throw their hat into the ring, which doesn't seem likely.

Kareem

lookin at last world cup games- here are games I would think would struggle to get 30k+ let alone 40k (minimum sell out)
NB: Groups C, E + F were popular groups IMO
Group A
Ecuador vs Poland
Poland vs Costa Rica
Ecuador vs Costa Rica
Group B
Trinidad & Tobago vs Paraguay

Group D
Iran vs Angola

Group G- not sure...
maybe Switzerland vs Togo + Korea vs Togo

Group H
Tunisia vs Saudi Arabia

Now this is all IMO
I am probably wrong a about a few- and left out a few (impossible to know)
that said- I would go to even Trinidad & Tobago vs Paraguay or Costa Ruca vs Poland- the 2 'least quality' matches on paper IMHO because I am a football diehard like most on here.
But 20-30 marinator diehards wont sellout a game

So in response to forzamariners- no offence but I think its a highly laughable notion that we could attract 40k+ to all 63 world cup games...

NB: Ofcourse I know the groups will be different- but this is just an example!

marinermick

not a laughable notion at all to selling out all world cup games

you have three factors that will make every game a sell out:
1. diverse ethnic backgrounds of australian population would mean that every nation would be well supported by their ex-pat citizens and their children (you would be surprised at how many iraqis, poles, paraguayans (sic) and poles there in australia)
2. australians will come in in huge numbers to get to any game they can
3. australia is a desirable holiday location so there will be a massive representation of each nation travelling to games

serious14

marinermick said:
paraguayans

Too true - there were a few thousand at the friendly in Brisbane a few years ago.

And we all know how many Iraqis there are, just look at the Olyroos game here last year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred