• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Australian Football Stuff - not worthy of a thread

Wombat

He is making good coin! We ate at his restaurant in melbourne recently and had to book to even get a table for the 2nd sitting 8pm. It was completely full. Food was excellent. He was there and happy to pose for photos with a few punters.

That was not really an assualt. Bad behaviour but it was hardly a Cantona moment.

Rowdy

FOX SPORTS SHAKE-UP - BOSNICH, SLATER DOWNGRADED WHILE RUDAN IS CHOPPED:
Screenshot_2017-09-11-14-24-07-1.png

Australia's premier sports network has made significant budget cuts and axed a regular panellist

Change is in the air at Fox Sports with high-profile football pundits Mark Bosnich and Robbie Slater having their salaries cut, while Mark Rudan has been told his contract won't be renewed.

It is believed Bosnich and Slater were expecting to have their wage decreased, but Rudan has been blindsided by his axing.

Bosnich and Slater have both accepted the decision, made by Fox Sports' head of live sport Steve Crawley, to have their contracts reduced by 25 percent of the value.

It is said Crawley is keen to add more female presence to their football coverage — like he has done with other sports telecast by the network.

Head of football Murray Shaw is apparently fuming after not being consulted in the decision-making process.

Rowdy

It is said Crawley is keen to add more female presence to their football coverage — like he has done with other sports telecast by the network.

Ex-players yeah sure, but if he hires another female in the vein of a Tara Rushton then Crawley's a 'muppet'.

Her questions are are straight out of Capt.Obvious's playbook and her incessant giggling has me near throwing a remote at a $2500 tv.

Mel McLaughlin was/ & still is the standout of women in covering Football.

Fox were fcuking idiots to let her leave to Channel 10.

Mrs Rowdy still laments her loss on A-League coverage every time she spots her on Channel Seven's 6pm News.

Rowdy

Debate: who is the best-ever Hyundai A-League defender?

Screenshot_2017-09-11-18-23-06-1.png

Wilko & Zwanny, rightfully so make the list BUT Durante :confused: currently topping the poll gives cause to ... 'wtf ???'

As much as I rate & Mrs Rowdy :wub: Wilko to death, Zwanny was just a level above him in the defenders game

So proud that both are included BUT c'mon Yellow peoples, vote for either of our boys !!!

Last edited:

Rowdy

Porter was plagued by injuries ending his career way too early, & he was more suited to the midfield of a 442 (-- or ◇)
- despite yes, playing & doing well at RB & at times DM.

Rowdy

Brad "chicken" was a better fb than elrich to.

I wouldnt say he was better than Elrich, more WhyTF is Elrich even included in this poll of defenders ???

Matthieu Delpierre from MVictory immediately comes to mind to being far superior to Elrich (who's predominantly a FB)
...... in a poll that realistically should only be about CB's :rolleyes:

Wombat

I wouldnt say he was better than Elrich, more WhyTF is Elrich even included in this poll of defenders ???

Matthieu Delpierre from MVictory immediately comes to mind to being far superior to Elrich (who's predominantly a FB)
...... in a poll that realistically should only be about CB's :rolleyes:

wHY SHOULD IT BE ABOUT cb RATHER than fbs? Bit weird Rowdy?

Wombat

Porter was plagued by injuries ending his career way too early, & he was more suited to the midfield of a 442 (-- or ◇)
- despite yes, playing & doing well at RB & at times DM.

porter was a middy. as a defender he was a mug. Only Osman made the switch with any success.

Rowdy

wHY SHOULD IT BE ABOUT cb RATHER than fbs? Bit weird Rowdy?

Weird ? not really.

Yeah .... FB's defend ... BUT
CB's DEFEND !! .... FULL STOP .

FB's in the modern game attack & defend, and Coaches favour players at FB who:
- 'attack well but be ok at defending'

as opposed to players who:
- 'defend well but, attack ok'

Note that I used 'well', instead of 'great'.

So for mine THE BEST DEFENDER !!
& thats what the poll is asking
are players who predominantly play at CB.

Why else would they be playing in that position, of solely defending within any team if they're are not the best at it ???
- seems simple to me.

Last edited:

Rowdy

Wombie, here's a question for you
(& anyone else ) to ponder on this very point over the duration of our coming season & it's one that I've given some thought to since we signed them ....

Antony Golec / Kye Rowles ??

- Both have predominantly played the majority of their Football at the CB position.
(Golec mostly CB some LB, lists that on his Wiki ... Rowles def w/Olyroo's, unsure? at Roar Youth, but lists CB only on his Wiki)

- Both are Left footed players

After releasing Faty and Posco, I assumed on signing Golec, (based on his playing position history & just arriving from x3 Asian clubs that signed him specifically for the CB role)
- that he'd be an out'n'out CB for the Mariners & to be the main pairing with Alan Baro
- especially based on the troubles we had in this area last season with considerable chop'n' changing with the likes of McGing, Ashcroft, Poscoliero, Faty, Junior & even Montgomery to choose from.

Then Okon signs Rowles, much younger with far less game time given to him at Roar & assumed he would be considered as 'back-up' to one of the x2 CB's, with possibillity of covering at LB for (the previous to him re-signing of) Josh Rose.

After seeing Okon playing Golec at LB in the trial at Pluim v CC Allstars, my assumptions of AG predominantly playing at CB went flying out the window.

Likewise for Kye Rowles.

I think the decision of who?? to play alongside Baro is going to be a real telling factor in our quest for success this comming season and quite possibly become a work in progress for Okon, & one to keep an eye on throughout the season.

We may well see a repeat of last seasons "chop'n & chang'n" going on, with an even longer list of candidates capable of playing at CB:
Baro
Golec
Rosey
Rowles
McGing
Ashcroft
and don't forget .... Junior !

@ Season's end, we could well have our own poll to vote on:
"Who's CCM's BEST Defender ??"
.... & yes FB's won't be included :p

Last edited:

JoyfulPenguin

Kye Rowles according to Fox Sports at least when the Roar played Muangthong in the ACL, has always been a Centre Back and was played out of position at left back because the Roar had injuries to every other player that could conceivably play there. From watching that game he was horrendous and a massive liability, he just had no idea how to play the position and was exposed time and time again by a not overly great Thai winger.
I sincerely hope that I am completely wrong on this but he just looked no where near the standard playing there and far,far weaker than his team mates.

Rowdy

Perth Glory have unveiled their new home and away kits for the 2017/18 A-League season.
ImageResizer.png

Similar to Brisbane Roar, Glory have ditched their one-colour jersey and gone with white sleeves on the home kit for the upcoming campaign.

The away shirt is just an inverse of the home kit, predominately all white with purple sleeves.

One of the most noticeable features on the new kits is the big size of long-time sponsor QBE on the front of the shirt.

ImageResizer.jpg

Insertnamehere

Ex-players yeah sure, but if he hires another female in the vein of a Tara Rushton then Crawley's a 'muppet'.

Her questions are are straight out of Capt.Obvious's playbook and her incessant giggling has me near throwing a remote at a $2500 tv.

Mel McLaughlin was/ & still is the standout of women in covering Football.

Fox were fcuking idiots to let her leave to Channel 10.

Mrs Rowdy still laments her loss on A-League coverage every time she spots her on Channel Seven's 6pm News.
Lucy Zelic for mine is a better starting point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred