• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Australia VS Oman

Part_Timer

martz_bus.jpg

foreign coaches...every team needs one

dibo

And DV - I'd be a little surprised if you're not the only person in the thread who had to google Javier Irureta, and I'd be doubly surprised if you're not the only person who thinks he'd make a great coach sight unseen.

FFC Mariner

James,

No arguement but are you happy with the dire shite Pim serves up?

Football is a product, if the flagship product is rubbish, people will turn off it and thats bad for the whole game.

You are at home, you have Kennedy, Kewell, Cahill, Emmo, Chippers and Culina (whiny bitch that he is) and you are outplayed as an attacking force?

Simply not good enough IMHO

marinermick

FFC Mariner said:
James,

Football is a product, if the flagship product is rubbish, people will turn off it and thats bad for the whole game.

You are at home, you have Kennedy, Kewell, Cahill, Emmo, Chippers and Culina (whiny bitch that he is) and you are outplayed as an attacking force?

No different to watching Italy play for the past thirty years. Always do enough, most times score late in the game, and step up when they need.

I do not hear many people criticise the way the Italian national team play.

FFC Mariner

Killing a game stone dead and nicking 1 goal to win it is very different from being carved up the way Australia were last night - as a defender, I love that.

Can you see Italy allowing those sorts of chances against a team ranked 60 places below them at home?

dibo

I'd say that the first point is that Oman aren't as bad as their ranking would suggest, just like we're not as good as our ranking would suggest.

In terms of simple individual technical ability, Oman had us done for. They played out from the back very comfortably and took the game to us. 'Carved up' is not the adjective I would use to describe our defensive performance mind you - they certainly had no more clear chances than us, and that they were even close was more because we simply don't have a genuine striker to be that outlet. We were one predatory striker away from having about five early.

As for Italy, funnily enough they had to come from 2 down in a WCQ this morning against Cyprus, who are ranked 72 places below them.

Kareem

marinermick said:
FFC Mariner said:
James,

No different to watching Italy play for the past thirty years. Always do enough, most times score late in the game, and step up when they need.

I hear a hell of a lot of people critiscise the Italian's defensive style.
What I will admit is I dont think the Italian's themselves critiscise their style. Their public are happy as long as they get the results...
and in this sense perhaps we are a bit ungrateful as we are playing dire, but we are achieving the bottom line.
It's difficult. Not to mention we were spoilt by having someone like Guss as Pim's predecessor!
tbh if I wasnt Aussie, I probably would bemoan the NT more (like I do to Italy)- and I might not support them...
But I would like (as everyone wants) for them to regain that same spirit in 06- and the neutrals were quite fond of us then...but same problem- a different coach!

David Votoupal

dibo said:
And DV - I'd be a little surprised if you're not the only person in the thread who had to google Javier Irureta, and I'd be doubly surprised if you're not the only person who thinks he'd make a great coach sight unseen.

Ummm this is the guy who coached Deportivo La Corua to a La Liga title and Champions' League semis, not to mention his teams played fantastic football- I take it you didn't see their 4-0 win over Milan in 2004?

dibo

No, I haven't the same trainspotting zeal for the careers of every sufficiently exotic manager, nor have I watched each and every Champions League fixture played since the dawn of time.

Sym

David Votoupal said:
dibo said:

Ummm this is the guy who coached Deportivo La Corua to a La Liga title and Champions' League semis, not to mention his teams played fantastic football- I take it you didn't see their 4-0 win over Milan in 2004?

Didn't they lose the first leg of that 3-0

dibo said:
No, I haven't the same trainspotting zeal for the careers of every sufficiently exotic manager, nor have I watched each and every Champions League fixture played since the dawn of time.

I expected better from you.

Paolo

Kareem said:
marinermick said:
FFC Mariner said:
James,

What I will admit is I dont think the Italian's themselves critiscise their style. Their public are happy as long as they get the results...
and in this sense perhaps we are a bit ungrateful as we are playing dire, but we are achieving the bottom line.
Lol, Your wrong.

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/114794,lippi-livid-at-critical-azzurri-fans.aspx
Italy coach Marcelo Lippi launched a scathing attack on the fans in Parma for the way they criticised the national team during their 3-2 win over Cyprus.

happy

Jesus said:
happy said:
lol
never seen a football match in which a player has a 3-digit number, like Vidosic today

Asian cup rules state that every player who plays in the finals or the qualifiers has to have their own shirt number. Hence the large numbers, especially with the a-leaguers as the best 20 or so players would have had their numbers set aside.

Stupid rule though

I see. Thanks for the explanation. So that means that you have used 101 players in the Asian Cup so far?
what about the numbers in the 70s or 80s? Are they assigned(?) to players as well?

Forum Phoenix

David Votoupal said:
dibo said:

Our Asian cup campaign was poor.

David I watch a lot of football, too much to be honest without it being my profession, and I had no idea who Javier Irureta was either... I don't think thats a very strange thing. I can conduct a poll on the site of you like, but I'm pretty sure Dibo will be proved very much correct.

Re level of opponents -
My point still stands, we drew and beat the Dutch in the last twelve months. What about the Northern Ireland game? 2 all with Italy recently in a great game  and yet under Pim we played a great game against them and soundly beat them.

"We failed to beat Indonesia, or score a goal against them. Guess what, Syria racked up 11 goals in 2 games against Indonesia in their WCQs."

Very specious argument, as all that game proved is that the A league elite squad played like utter garbage. Everyone knew it. And they admitted as such.
Ver Beek trying to blood A league players and rest the real roos against a weak team is not a coaching surprise or indicative of anything.

Yes I do think we could do better.
But so do Pim and the NT. And obviously thats waht tehy will be working for.
But I also like to appreciate what we have.
Pim is not a wax lyrical bullshit artist.
His style so far has been conservative, but he's honest with strength, weaknesses and disappointing performances and he's getting results. And the team respect him.

My only major complaint is I'd just like to see a 442 at home for a change, in line with FFC's product comment.

Everything said, I just don't think the level of your comments are justified.
And all its truly indicative of, like many of your other posts, is that you quite clearly have a pretty serious exotic coach fetish.
:p

FFC Mariner

Seriously though, according to Wiki the guy has no bottle

Irureta quit as coach of Real Betis,[1][2]after the club's poor start to 200607, stepping down on December 21, 2006, after just seven months in charge. Irureta, who had a one-year contract, stated: "My contract has been rescinded by mutual agreement but I made the first move. We could have continued like this for much longer but it wasn't good".

In October 2007, Irureta put his name forward to be the new coach of English side Bolton Wanderers, but lost out in the running to Gary Megson, and was also touted by December as possible replacement for Real Sociedad's Chris Coleman.

Eventually, he took over at Real Zaragoza, replacing Vctor Fernndez.[3]However, on March 3, 2008, after merely one 1/2 months in charge, he resigned, arguing that never, as a manager, had he lost four games in a row, and that he did not feel up to the task of stopping the side's slump into the relegation zone (eventually, the Aragonese were relegated). He was quickly replaced by former Zaragoza goalkeeper Manolo Villanova, whom at the time coached Sociedad Deportiva Huesca.

Kareem

Paolo said:
Kareem said:
marinermick said:
FFC Mariner said:
James,

Lol, Your wrong.

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/114794,lippi-livid-at-critical-azzurri-fans.aspx
Italy coach Marcelo Lippi launched a scathing attack on the fans in Parma for the way they criticised the national team during their 3-2 win over Cyprus.
lol u
im referring to world cup win! (maybe Euro2000 finalists as well, USA 1994 etc.)
Is anyone going to complain on here if we make quarter finals this time?
Italy are similar in qualification to us, they are expected to make it- and when they play drab they are criticised.
They got a belting for confed's display (similar to what we whinged about our Asian cup display).

And yes- I compared us making quarters to them winning world cup- meh!

EDIT: When England get knocked out, when Italy does, when Argentina does (group stages most likely), and if we dont make it out of group stages...the knives are gonna be out.
For instance if Diego was somehow (I am unable to type this :p ) able to lead Argentina to the world cup- all the criticism would magically disappear, no matter how ugly they play (I did not enjoy the Uruguay match at all...and I used to love watching Argentina)

serious14

Andrew - yes, I would like to see us be a bit more adventurous, but we've got a system that we've tailored to the personnel that we have (primarily Kennedy and Cahill), and at the moment, it's working.  About the only thing I would change would be to make it some sort of 4-1-4-1 and get Culina away from DM.

Teams all over the world have their different systems, and some aren't that easy on the eye (1-0 to the Arsenal back in the day). But can you honestly say that ot too many Greeks would have been unhappy after the Euro 2004 final??  Or Brazilians after the '94 final?? 

Much like those teams, we can really only play with what we've got, and as much as I want to see Fat Macca play alongside Kennedy, he's had countless chances to prove he's worth a starting spot, and quite frankly, he isn't  - he's a striker (i.e.  paid to score goals) and he's just not banging them in.

Now as shocking as this sounds, I agree with Dibo re: Oman not beeing as shit as their ranking suggests.  I still maintain that we underestimated them again (those who played against them in Thailand surely should have learnt their lesson) which would explain the performance on Wednesday night.  It may have only been a subconcious thing, but really, put yourself in Cahill's, Kewell's, Neill's - anyone's boots really, and you see "Oman" on the fixture list, 4 days after you held the Dutch to 0-0.  As much as you're going to try not to, surely you'd think "hell yeah, this will be easy".

Look at all those away games in the Middle East where we've gone "yep, we'll nick a goal or two and bring home the 3 points".  Oops.....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred