• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Asian Champions League 2009

brett

Early January is the draw.

Serious - how about fly direct to the match in ChiJapOrea, stay for a week in a better country, fly back, and spend the next 10 days on the Gold Coast. More expensive drinks, but cheaper to get there, and if you're drunk enough the blur of pissed Aussie knobs will probably be indistinguishable. ;)

serious14

brett said:

Serious - how about fly direct to the match in ChiJapOrea, stay for a week in a better country, fly back, and spend the next 10 days on the Gold Coast. More expensive drinks, but cheaper to get there, and if you're drunk enough the blur of pissed Aussie knobs will probably be indistinguishable. ;)

Thailand >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> China.    Thailand is cheaper than Japan, and more farang-friendly than Korea.  ;)

And if you stay away from Khao San Road (i.e.  backpacker ghetto central), you will barely see another Westerner your entire time there.  :p

brett

serious14 said:
brett said:

Thailand >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> China.    Thailand is cheaper than Japan, and more farang-friendly than Korea.  ;)

And if you stay away from Khao San Road (i.e.  backpacker ghetto central), you will barely see another Westerner your entire time there.  :p

Well given we already know the three countries, L and I have already started saving for Japan. We're keen to see the place so we're going to stay for about 9 days in and around the match, whenever it lands.

Jorome Alexander Bennett

Please don't go to another country just to get pissed and rowdy.

Stay at home and buy a box of wine.

Or do what BLT and little L, Auburn and Merry intend to do. Travel to a new country and see it's sights and learn about it's different culture and history.

What is 'farang'?

Jorome Alexander Bennett

I think it simply means white foreigner.
But it could easily have the connotation of white devil for the Thais if white foreigners visiting their country do not much except abuse alcohol.

serious14

Goldenboy said:

Well, I plan to go back to one of my favourite countries in the whole wide world and experience a whole lot more - namely Chang Mai in the north and Hua Hin around the edge of the Gulf.  Any partying at night is a by product of wanting to have fun and experience (again) the nightlife of another country.

I've done (and am doing it again in August) China, I'm doing Japan in February, and to be honest, Korea doesn't interest me that much.  Not to mention, this Thailand plan is a cheaper option I'm presenting for those who can't afford to stay in a heinously expensive country like Japan for 10 or so days.  ;)

P.S.  Farang (in Thai: ฝรั่ง), sometimes pronounced falang, is the generic Thai word for a foreigner of European ancestry.

marinerbhoy

serious14 said:
brett said:

Thailand >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> China.    Thailand is cheaper than Japan, and more farang-friendly than Korea.   ;)

you must have selective sight if you didn't see any foreigners outside of KSR.

if i have enough money i will be going to japan or korea. will be going to the socceroos in japan so hopefully the mariners in korea.

serious14

marinerbhoy said:

*shrugs*  Not really.  The only other place I really saw more than two or three Westerners together was an awesome pub by the name of The Dubliner on Sukhimvit Road, near Soi 33.  Besides, I said "barely another Westerner", not "you won't see another one at all".  ;) 

And I prefer to ignore the fact that KSR exists, it's just................ heinously yuck.  In every single possible way.  :redcard:

marinerbhoy

serious14 said:
marinerbhoy said:

*shrugs*   Not really.  The only other place I really saw more than two or three Westerners together was an awesome pub by the name of The Dubliner on Sukhimvit Road, near Soi 33.  Besides, I said "barely another Westerner", not "you won't see another one at all".  ;) 

And I prefer to ignore the fact that KSR exists, it's just................ heinously yuck.  In every single possible way.  :redcard:

not my personaly fav either. and neither is the dubliner. drinks were not that cheap. did you travel with the AHE?

anyway would it be better(yes i know more expensive) to stay in the host country. if you go to the game in japan there will definately be some pre-match build up!

serious14

Gotta get to know the owner at the Dubliner - legendary fellow amongst any traveller who comes across his path.  And yes, they're a little bit more expensive, but 7 drinks and 2 football games via satellite later, he knocks the prices down.  Not to mention his stories are worth that extra 20 baht or so (OMG!!!  Not 80 cents!!!! :p) per PINT (none of this schooner rubbish) of whatever.  Whenever I had my patented pre game drink of Coke, I was knocking down pints of it for about $2.  And it was actual Coke too, not that pre-mixed rubbish we get over here.

Oh, and the hand peeled wedges??  To die for......

No, I didn't travel with the AHE or the GGA.  There were four of us, and we made our own way, booked it all ourselves, etc. and so forth.  Got the tickets to the games via. Thai Ticketmaster.  ;D

As for staying in the host country - it's really down to personal choice.  There's five of us so far who are solidifying the "host city for 2 days via 10 days of Thailand" plan, and we're hoping to get another 5 or so at least.  Then we can start talking about group discount rates and such.  I also know that others are going to go straight to the host city and tour that particular country for at least a week.  Like I said, it's really down to personal choice.

Bear

Thailand>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Host city

Its the only way ill be able to afford to go lol

dru

Goldenboy said:

Or do what BLT and little L, Auburn and Merry intend to do. Travel to a new country and see it's sights and learn about it's different culture and history.

What is 'farang'?

Somehow Goldenboy I think the ones able to afford these trips are the ones that will be open to the culture of the places. We will be drunk and rowdy on game day though.

I will probably do Japan away, especially if it is our first away game in Asia. If it happens and people want some suggestions of what to do while over there let me know.

serious14

RADINHO said:
thats gay i wanted to watch West Asian oppostion play against us.

Well el Kareemo in disguise, if we make it out of the group, you just might be lucky enough.

Jorome Alexander Bennett

dru said:
Somehow Goldenboy I think the ones able to afford these trips are the ones that will be open to the culture of the places. We will be drunk and rowdy on game day though.

I will probably do Japan away, especially if it is our first away game in Asia. If it happens and people want some suggestions of what to do while over there let me know.

I don't like the suggested correlation between disposable income and cultural appreciation.

I'm sure you're not suggesting that those who cannot afford an indulgent overseas trip, in a time when economic prudence is the wisest option,  give little esteem to culture.

But it seems you are implying the converse. Money implies an enlightened mind? Simply absurd.

MattSimon

Goldenboy said:
I'm sure you're not suggesting that those who cannot afford an indulgent overseas trip, in a time when economic prudence is the wisest option,  give little esteem to culture.

All I know is that it irrespective of whether the economy is doing well or poorly, beer tends to offer the best return on investment.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred