• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Asian Champions League 2009

Auburn Mariner

Afternoon all,

Not sure if this has been dealt with elsewhere, but this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFC_Champions_League_2009

indicates that we will play against teams from South Korea, China and Japan. This makes our (the wife and I) planned SE Asian holiday just a pipe dream. I was hoping we would draw one team in the tropics, but, alas, it is not to be.

The draw, however, is great for me personally, as my roster indicates that I will only need to take one day off for the entire 6 matchdays.

Actually, I found the Wiki article quite interesting, but then I am a stats nerd from way back.

marinerbhoy

hopefully i will have enough cash to go to any away game. i would normally be set to but i cant turn down the socceroos playing in japan!

Auburn Mariner

Jocwa08 said:
When do we find out who were grouped with ?

It's on the above Wiki link in the initial post; January 7 2009.

You can already start planning the country of your destination; South Korea, Japan or China. Just a matter of where. Looking briefly on the web, Seoul's major airport at Incheon seems to be the main point of entry to SK, with multiple entry points into China or Japan.

As a side note, both Kobe and Osaka have their main airports built from reclaimed land in the middle of the ocean, no more than 40kms from each other. The benefits of watching Discovery Channel!!

loyalist

im not a fan of the neutral venue final
were not europe where it is easy for fans to get to other countries
imho it is much better if it is a 2 legged final

serious14

What I reckon we all do, just for a laugh.........

Go to Thailand for the week (or two) preceding the game, party it up Marinators style, because Bangkok is one of the most amazing places in the world to engage in such activities, then 2 days before the game, get a ridiculously cheap inter-Asian flight (believe me, there's enough of them) to the destination of the game, and then stay at said destination for however long each person wants.  If we get a double leg away that would be even more awesome.

Or if you're one of those keen types - go to Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur, then make your way to the game destination of your choice by a 2 week trip or so over land through Cambodia, Vietnam, Hong Kong, and China.

And centralcoastyouth -for the first time ever I agree with you.  A 2 legged final in this case is far superior to a one legged neutral venue final.

*edit*  EXAMPLE PRICING - say our first away game is on Matchday 2 (the 18th March)...... here's an indicator of what you would be paying to get there on the 14th and back on the 23rd.

Japan/Tokyo: $1300 - 1400 return with Air New Zealand...... around $1100 with Jetstar, which goes to Osaka.

Korea:  $1700 or so return to Seoul.

China:  It really depends where we play here.  You can get a cheap flight ($900 return or so) to Bangkok, then get Air Asia to Hong Kong ($100 return, if that), then a train/bus to Guangzhou, which is just over the border.  Alternatively, if we get a team within a few hours of Beijing, you're looking around $1200 return.

Fun times people, fun times.  ;D

serious14

Just throwing this out there...........

What say we all go to Thailand to party for a week to ten days before the game we want to go to, and then just go from Bangkok to the game city for a day or two, then back to Bangers and then home to Sydney??  Check this out:

Say that same date still applies (18th March) as our first away game.  Head over to Bangkok ($900 return), stay there ($300 for 10 days at most) and party hardy (another $300 - trust me, Bangkok is stupidly cheap), then fly over to whereever the game might be.

NOW, if it's in Southern China, get an Air Asia flight to Hong Kong ($200 return at most) and get the train over the border.  If it's in Northern China, fly to Shanghai from either Hong Kong or Bangkok ($500) or get the train from Hong Kong (an overnighter for $150 or so).  And there's Japan/Korea as well ($600).

So basically:

Return flight to Bangers from Sydney ($900)
Accomodation in Bangers for 7 - 10 days ($300)
Flight to Hong Kong ($200) or Shanghai ($500) or Japan/Korea ($600)
Living/Partying expenses ($500 at most - South East Asia is cheeeeeaaaap)

So on the cheap end, you're looking at $2000 - $2250, on the expensive end (Japan) you're at the $2500 mark, $2750 if you go upmarket with your accommodation.

;D ;D ;D

serious14

marinermick said:
serious14 said:
Bizz-umpage.

i am not sure about the thailand bit

cannot imagine being in the same vicinity as murphs when he goes on his south east asia rampage

Believe me, it's a sight worth seeing.  ;)

I'm putting the Thailand option for those out there (to use an example - Bear) who were going to go, but realised they wouldn't be able to afford it when we learnt it was going to be either China, Korea, or Japan.  I know there's some who are going to spend all their time in the host country/city, but this is geared towards the more budget conscious of us, y'know??

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred