• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Alcohol Sponsorship

Jesus

Jesus
If Rudd does take hard to alcohol sponsorship of sport as there is with cigarettes this could have big affects for the a-league. Would significantly decrease the amount of sponsor dollars around, and force football to compete much more heavily with other codes.

However if government funding is linked with players off-field performance in areas like this, there could possibly be a larger slice since nrl would surely lose most all their government funding.

Kareem

We were talkin bout that in Population Health and Health Promotion yesterday (one of my uni subjects). I think it is a bit weird that we promote alcohol when it is such a bad thing in our society:
1) binge drinking
2) Kids- underage drinking
Did you know last year that Liverpool decided to stop printing Children's football jerseys (for sale) with Carslberg across them as to not impose alchol sponsorship onto them...
Nice idea but a complete waste of time IMO. TBH it doesnt make a difference- if alcohol advertising had negative impacts on underage football fans- taking away the logo from the supporter's strips wouldnt make a difference- the only to stop it is taking it off the strips of the kids heroes...gerrard, torres etc. with the Carlsberg across thier shirts.

serious14

Jesus said:
If Rudd does take hard to alcohol sponsorship of sport as there is with cigarettes this could have big affects for the a-league. Would significantly decrease the amount of sponsor dollars around, and force football to compete much more heavily with other codes.

Isn't most of anything the NRL does tied in a lot with Jim Beam??  I mean, one of their competitions is called the 'Jim Beam Cup'.  I know Ballantine's sponsor the A-League, but as far as I'm aware they're the only alcoholic sponsor we (HAL) have....... surely if something like you're suggesting did happen we wouldn't be hit as heavily as other sports??

dibo

unlikely that we'd be affected as heavily as cricket (vb tri-series), aussie rules (Carlton Draught - official beer of the AFL) or the NRL (as mentioned above - jim beam cup etc.).

Atomic

I did hear that Jim Beam put a VERY attractive proposal to the CCM board in V1, but it was felt that it sent the wrong message to families. I guess it was very important back then (as it still is now) to appeal to the community as a family club and I think the board were 100% correct in rejecting it. Also, it didn't really match our other sponsor, Arrive Alive.

I have always found the Stadiums Bluetongue sponsorship it to be a little bit of a contradiction though. But TBH, it doesn't really keep me tossing and turning at night... lol.

Paolo

forzamariners said:
keensy said:
imo alcohol should be sponsored heavily and kids should be encouraged to drink it
+1

alcohol sponsorship is the only kind of sponsorship i like
what about all the marinators sponsors...surely u like them???

adz

Staff member
keensy said:
forzamariners said:
keensy said:
imo alcohol should be sponsored heavily and kids should be encouraged to drink it
+1

lolz roflz lulz tell me all about these sponsorship deals since you seem to know a lot about it?

Paolo

adz said:
keensy said:
forzamariners said:
keensy said:
+1

lolz roflz lulz tell me all about these sponsorship deals since you seem to know a lot about it?
please explain, where did i say i know alot about sponsorship deals? ::)......i only know that there are deals. It's not exactly a secret (eg marinators are supported by *insert business names*on this site, sponsors being on the shirts)

marinersman

Bundy Rum still sponsors the rah rah's as well.

I love a beer and a red (still trying to work out if I drink too much or not enough), but if the Mariners did not accept an alcohol company sponsorship, they have my huge respect for this. It's great to see values and image can still overide money in sport in 2008. Congratulations to Mr Gorman and co for this decision if correct.

A little off topic, but one thing I am very proud of is FIFA not allowing shirt sponsorship of NT. It sickens me to see a NT shirt cheapened by sponsorship in other sports. This is one thing I hope FIFA never change and I doubt they will.

adz

Staff member
I can understand the club's decision not to allow alcohol companies to put their logos on team gear that kids will wear, but what's the go with people saying there is a clash between alcohol companies and arrive alive? It's not like they are going out and saying "drink and drive" while arrive alive is saying not to. In fact every alcohol ad I can recall has the line "drink responsibly", which I would imagine includes not getting pissed and driving. Eh?

coast

Seeing alchohol sponsorship's does not want to make people drink alcohol. If you didn't get drunk off it, nobody would buy the shit at the price it is, no matter how many hero's shirts or tv ad's it was on, and thats a fact.

Atomic

Why was cigarette advertising banned then? Your agrument suggests that it's ok to run cigarette ads on TV during kids programming in the afternoons. Yes?

Jesus

Jesus
dibo said:
unlikely that we'd be affected as heavily as cricket (vb tri-series), aussie rules (Carlton Draught - official beer of the AFL) or the NRL (as mentioned above - jim beam cup etc.).

My point is that this would leave, afl, nrl, cricket looking for more non alcohol sponsors, making more competition for our sponsors possibly.

serious14 said:
Jesus said:

Isn't most of anything the NRL does tied in a lot with Jim Beam??  I mean, one of their competitions is called the 'Jim Beam Cup'.  I know Ballantine's sponsor the A-League, but as far as I'm aware they're the only alcoholic sponsor we (HAL) have....... surely if something like you're suggesting did happen we wouldn't be hit as heavily as other sports??

Balentines is the official alcohol or spirit of the league. Not quite the same as it being the ballentines a-league, but would probably be under the axe?

P

Pete

The Ballantines sposnsorship for the HAL is very discreet. It's just one of the many sponsors of the HAL. Gets their logo on some billboards at the game, their products into the stadia for the HAL, gets their logo advertised somewhere in the Full 90 mag, and the occassional thank you mention in speeches.

Whereas, when you have the VB Tri Series, the Jim Beam Cup, and even "Carlton Draught - the Beer of the AFL", well they get a lot of mentions in general conversation amongst the commentators during broadcasts, besides the ads (who are obliged to say the full name of whatever comp they refer to.
Like  "When I was watching the 'Jim Beam Cup' match today I saw a promising hooker..." or how about  the cricket commentators always referring to the "VB Tri Series.." I long for the day they have to say a silly sponsors name like "Viagara -stay UP all night and make them happy Cup",  :-[ :-X but I digress..)

Surprised no one mentioned Bluetongue's association with the Central Coast Stadium. I guess that sponsorship would come under review too, if sponsorships from alcohol companies were restricted.

marinersman said:
but if the Mariners did not accept an alcohol company sponsorship, they have my huge respect for this. It's great to see values and image can still overide money in sport in 2008. Congratulations to Mr Gorman and co for this decision if correct.
bluetongue money payed for john Aloi$i, did it not?

http://sportsaustralia.com/articles/news.php?id=2461 said:
Gorman also paid tribute to John Singleton and Bluetongue for their support of Aloi$i and the Mariners.

John Singleton has been a fantastic and passionate supporter of the Central Coast and the Mariners and we are indeed indebted to him and Bluetongue for supporting John Aloi$i and of course for his ongoing support of the Mariners through Bluetongue Central Coast Stadium, said Gorman.

Singleton added, Bluetongue is the most successful premium beer in Australia and its success is entirely due to its sales in the Hunter and Central Coast Region.

Bluetongue decided a long time ago to put money back into the community and it has been doing so through Central Coast Rugby League, the recently crowned national Rugby Union champions, Central Coast Rays, the Newcastle Knights and the Central Coast Mariners through Bluetongue Central Coast Stadium.

In helping to bring John Aloi$i into the Central Coast region it is Bluetongues way of saying thank you to Lawrie McKinna, the Mariners and the people of the Central Coast and Hunter regions.

FFC Mariner

Simply more Rudd spin taken from the Blair/Iemma playbook.

Economy collapsing, Swan completely unable to cope and what do we get??

AFL and NRL players to be role models about anti drinking.

Even the NRL spruikers on 2UE dismissed it as a mere stunt.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred