• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

AFC Cup

finally retired

adz

Staff member
And I know I shouldn't reply to my own posts 🤣

all good, we don't apply the usual "forum rules" here - too much of a hassle

rules-where-were-going-we-dont-need-rules.jpg

FFC Mariner

I spoke too soon....already relegated from front page of web site....even though other sports stories have been on there for more than a day.....

And I know I shouldn't reply to my own posts 🤣
Thats just a function of the # of clicks they get. More popular stories stay higher up the list

Rising Sun

Domestic and continental silverware in the same season has not been done before.
I am echoing something I posted earlier but the domestic trophy we won is the one that requires you to be consistently good every weekend for 7 months (not just win a few knockout games) whilst criss-crossing Asia midweek to get the continental trophy and that just blows me away. I think it is the greatest ever achievement by an Australian club side regardless of what happens from here on

turbo

I am echoing something I posted earlier but the domestic trophy we won is the one that requires you to be consistently good every weekend for 7 months (not just win a few knockout games) whilst criss-crossing Asia midweek to get the continental trophy and that just blows me away. I think it is the greatest ever achievement by an Australian club side regardless of what happens from here on
Bouncing back to win the GF after Asia would be one thing but to juggle both the league and AFC cup coming out on top of both is absolutely massive from the club. MJ has had us looking more restrained at times but I don't think Monty's high tempo at all costs gets us this level of consistency across 2 comps.

Michael

Bouncing back to win the GF after Asia would be one thing but to juggle both the league and AFC cup coming out on top of both is absolutely massive from the club. MJ has had us looking more restrained at times but I don't think Monty's high tempo at all costs gets us this level of consistency across 2 comps.
I think the main difference between Monty’s mariners and Jacko’s mariners is Monty’s was super exciting attacking football with more talented individuals we basically would just out score everyone. It clearly worked and f**k me it was fun. Jacko’s mariners grind teams down and win sometimes when we shouldn’t. The tactical set ups are very similar just minor differences. It’s a great debate, would Monty’s mariners have had this kind of consistency across 2 comps? I dunno, it was a riskier style.

I don’t personally have a preference between the two, I just think it’s insane that the very next season after a guy considered by so many of us to be our best ever coach who gave us our best ever night after an incredible couple of seasons has arguably been one upped straight away.

Insertnamehere

I think the main difference between Monty’s mariners and Jacko’s mariners is Monty’s was super exciting attacking football with more talented individuals we basically would just out score everyone. It clearly worked and f**k me it was fun. Jacko’s mariners grind teams down and win sometimes when we shouldn’t. The tactical set ups are very similar just minor differences. It’s a great debate, would Monty’s mariners have had this kind of consistency across 2 comps? I dunno, it was a riskier style.

I don’t personally have a preference between the two, I just think it’s insane that the very next season after a guy considered by so many of us to be our best ever coach who gave us our best ever night after an incredible couple of seasons has arguably been one upped straight away.
I reckon if we kept tulio, holy shit would have smashed some teams.

booney

Jacko has taught the team how to change the tempo of their play .He knows that if they play flat out from the start they will be gassed by the 60 minute mark.Therefore it seems at times as we are playing in slow motion and that is actually the case.We have the ability now to switch to an up tempo game especially if Barcellos,Doka and di Pizio are on song and can link with Nisbet,Kuol,Edmo and Reec.Also Balard,Tapp and Steel when he comes on are important as when they work as a unit they not only disrupt opponents' attacks but also in possession control the tempo of the game.

Faz and Roux work in well with Balard and Tapp and their runs on the flanks ( and sometimes inside as inverted FBs) make it difficult for opposition defences.Theoharous has taken a while to catch on but now that he has nearly stopped the stationary stepovers he is proving invaluable by his ability to run at defenders.However he still often fails to pass at the critical time and runs into dead ends.Torres like wise was excellent at running at defenders as well as putting the ball into the back of the net but was often very selfish and did not pass to players in better positions.

As the season has progressed those upfield forays by Kaltak and Hall have added to the team's attacking options.As long as either Balard or Tapp cover for them this is OK.

If Jacko stays in Australia you can see Wanderers and either Melbourne City or Victory try to lure him across.

Paolo

...or 6 months in our case.

Ads

I look at Wellington who have been pretty consistent but I don’t see them or anyone else being able to do what we have done this year.

As mentioned juggling both competitions never ends well, Sydney, Melbourne City etc when ever they have games in the ACL their Aleague performances suffer.

In previous years we are talking about big downturns in form about 3 quarters through a-league season with ACL commitments.
And that is seemingly less travel than what we have had to go through this year.

If we manage to make the Grand Final I think we all will be grabbing our chests waiting for heart attacks to hit, if we do make and dare say do the men’s treble I think there’s going to be a f**k load of statues needing to be made.

LFCMariners

So compare the pair:

The club that lobbied to get CCM excluded from the comp
View attachment 3272
Club they never wanted to exist at all
View attachment 3273
They got that wrong. The 2007/08 GF was cancelled remember? We were all buzzing and walked up to the SFS but the gates were locked over some dispute or another. Massive bummer, I reckon we'd have had them on the day...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred