• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

AFC Asian Cup - Qatar Jan 7th to 29th 2011

FFC Mariner

Now we have qualified, a bit of info on the comp.

DV like, here is the Wiki link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_AFC_Asian_Cup

Venues:

Doha Khalifa International Stadium 50,000
Doha Al-Gharafa Stadium 25,000
Al Rayyan Ahmed bin Ali Stadium 25,000
Doha Qatar SC Stadium 19,000
Doha Jassim Bin Hamad Stadium 15,000

Weather likely to be between about 13 and 23 in January - almost perfect football weather.

Worryingly, their laws on drink may not mix well with travelling football supporters (thanks again Wiki)

The laws of Qatar tolerate alcohol to a certain extent. However, the few bars and nightclubs in Qatar operate only in expensive hotels and clubs, much like in the UAE. Also like in the UAE, Muslims are banned from drinking alcohol. Expatriate residents in Qatar are eligible to receive liquor permits permitting them to purchase alcohol for personal use through Qatar Distribution Company, the only importer and retailer for alcohol in Qatar. Under Qatar's Sharia, alcohol is illegal to be shown/drunk in public.

serious14

FFC Mariner said:
Worryingly, their laws on drink may not mix well with travelling football supporters (thanks again Wiki)

Advice from a friend's Mum who used to live there - "do the Ferry Run over the strait to Bahrain - far more lax with their alcohol laws".

Trying to find when the draw is too, any luck??

marinermick

Looking at the nations who have qualified it would really only be us, Japan and some Chinese and Indians worried about the strict alcohol laws.

On a side note, incredible stuff that India has qualified. There are heaps of Indian workers in Qatar so expect their games to be packed. Would also make massive news at home.

serious14

marinermick said:
Looking at the nations who have qualified it would really only be us, Japan and some Chinese and Indians worried about the strict alcohol laws.

Good.  Less competition for the Bahrain ferry.  ;)

I've only ever seen the Indian team play twice, and they were a bit shit both times.  You're right about it being big news though.

marinermick

serious14 said:
marinermick said:

Good.  Less competition for the Bahrain ferry.  ;)

I've only ever seen the Indian team play twice, and they were a bit shit both times.  You're right about it being big news though.

I watched plenty of the national league when in India and the standard was awful.

midfielder

Wonders aloud... I wonder how many from the WC will back up .. how many from Europe will be released be there clubs...

Still wondering who will play ... and have FFA stopped the A-League or will they keep playing ... meaning clubs could be without some of their best...

kevrenor

midfielder said:
Still wondering who will play ... and have FFA stopped the A-League or will they keep playing ... meaning clubs could be without some of their best...

Mr Archie 'It's all to hard' Fraser (FFA) has stated that there will be no break!

FFC Mariner

As it is a FIFA designated international comp, clubs have to release players if they are picked (cue niggly injury claims from Everton to keep Timmy out).

Depends who retires after the WC I suppose but the new coach (yay) will be able to pick anyone who is fit

pjennings

I think that many of the 2007 team have a point to prove and will turn up. As for niggling injuries I would expect those to only come from those that aren't secure at their club - so Timmy should be there.

midfielder

FFC Mariner said:
As it is a FIFA designated international comp, clubs have to release players if they are picked (cue niggly injury claims from Everton to keep Timmy out).

Depends who retires after the WC I suppose but the new coach (yay) will be able to pick anyone who is fit

Are you sure it is in FIFA dates I can recall reading somewhere in was not in FIFA days like the African finals.

finally retired

midfielder said:
FFC Mariner said:

Are you sure it is in FIFA dates I can recall reading somewhere in was not in FIFA days like the African finals.

I asked this question of Simon Hill in the pre-game Q&A run by FoxSports...his response was "Australia CAN demand the release of European players - but it will be up to the coach (and the players concerned) as to whether they go or not. Personally speaking, I'd like to see Australia do what Japan did for the last tournament - select a mainly local-based squad with maybe four or five overseas stars thrown in. It would be good for the local players development - the problem is (as ever), the fans will expect the Roos to win! That's the conundrum for whoever the coach will be!"

Jesus

Jesus
pjennings said:
I think that many of the 2007 team have a point to prove and will turn up. As for niggling injuries I would expect those to only come from those that aren't secure at their club - so Timmy should be there.

Proving you will turn up when there is no conflict with your club does not mean you will show up when you will not be playing for your club instead.

But as a FIFA competition all clubs are required to release players. Concidering a number will retire anyway post world cup possibly, it could be their swansong, os, possibly a few will return home so that wont be a problem.

4 or 5 returning roos, plus asian/aleague roos, including culina/kennedy/wilkshire/sterj should be enough to make us decent if the FFA folk out the cash to prepare

serious14

DohaKhalifaStadium.jpg

Main stadium in Doha - looks like a one-tiered Wembley. Very impressive.

the J Man

Advice from a friend's Mum who used to live there - "do the Ferry Run over the strait to Bahrain - far more lax with their alcohol laws".

Trying to find when the draw is too, any luck??

better still watch it at home on the 42" with a run to dangerous dans.in between a stop at mcmasters for a swim

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred