• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

A-League crowds

adz

Staff member
dibo can you add to that the stats on our wins when we kick off towards bay 16 first, and away from bay 16 first - for some reason I have this feeling we seem to win more when we have Danny at our end for the second half....

dru

dibo said:
[sub]...when i can be bothered perhaps[/sub]

Now now dibo, we all know your a slave to statistics and your just trying to hide it. you've already completed it haven't you.  ;)

just waiting for a bigger representative group to draw from for better figures.

dibo

fish said:
youll have that done within the hour

i've actually got a spreadsheet with everyone's crowds and whatnot over the three seasons, i don't have the dates in it though. i *could* work out any relationships between:
crowds and goals (seeing if crowd size is correlated to goals by the home or away side or in total), and
crowds and points (seeing if larger or smaller crowds are related to the likelihood of a good result for the home team).

and see if the relationships differ across teams. if i went through and added the dates of the matches i could add the question of date to both of those, as well as the above mentioned question of the relationship between crowd and the day of the week.

but not tonight. ;D

as for which way we're kicking, i've no idea where that stat could be found! i've a gut feeling you're right on that (only semi-serious i assume) hunch though...

dru said:
dibo said:
[sub]...when i can be bothered perhaps[/sub]

Now now dibo, we all know your a slave to statistics and your just trying to hide it. you've already completed it haven't you.  ;)

just waiting for a bigger representative group to draw from for better figures.

no, i don't have it done, because i don't have the dates in. was one i was thinking of doing though...  :-[ :piralaugh:

what can i say, i really like numbers! it's probably why i'm going back to uni!

dru

dibo said:
no, i don't have it done, because i don't have the dates in. was one i was thinking of doing though...  :-[ :piralaugh:

You sick masochistic person  ;)

Having said that anytime you choose to do it I would certainly be interested in the results

dibo

dru said:
dibo said:

You sick masochistic person  ;)

Having said that anytime you choose to do it I would certainly be interested in the results

it's hard to know exactly how to set it up, as different clubs also have their matches distributed in odd ways - from vague recollection welly and knights had lots more fridays, perth more sundays.

as they're not 'normally' distributed it skews out the numbers before you start. not to mention that the crowd sizes vary between clubs and so it's hard to work out whether that will bend the numbers out...

so do you do the work from the raw numbers?

(crowd)

difference from the mean?

(crowd - minus crowd average)

or take a measure of difference from the mean?

(crowd - crowd average)
------------------------
    crowd average

the other problem you'll get is that even these will be skewed - adelaide's and perth's crowds are very similar in size across a season, while in both last season in the case of the jets and this season in our case there have been big jumps at the end of the year. so do you attempt to control for table position at the time, time of year... ???

hard to know what's going to affect what, and the old rule applies - garbage in, garbage out. if you don't know what you're looking at before it goes through the milkchurn, you certainly won't know what you're looking at when it comes out.

f**king hell i'm a nerd...

dru

Realistically you would have to work on a club by club basis so you see if trends are the same for each club or if they have different strong days. monday and thursday games would also have some weird things happening given the number NZ had last season.

Ha ha, I must be a nerd for being able to follow all that!

adz

Staff member
don't forget about the other factors that affect the crowd numbers like all the weak excuses... it's too wet, it's too sunny, it's too hot, too cold, my house burnt down... laaaaaaame!

dru

adz said:
don't forget about the other factors that affect the crowd numbers like all the weak excuses... it's too wet, it's too sunny, it's too hot, too cold, my house burnt down... laaaaaaame!

I now live and work in Queensland.  :-\

P

Pete

On this subject of crowds - and sorry if I overload the CPU in your brain Dibo  :ashamed: - is there any way we can compare the crowd figures/averages/ % of population to say the NRL or AFL?

I know they have more teams and have multiple teams in one city etc., but I'd say some of our better crowd pulling teams would be way up there with some of theirs.

Also overall attendances of say the HAL vs. NRL vs AFL vs. Super 14.

I don't expect any miracles, but I'm wondering how much ground the HAL has to make, if it was in the business of comparing the HAL to the other codes (Lowy has flatly said the FFA is not interested in that type of comparison, nor actively taking market away from the other codes).

dibo

Pete said:
On this subject of crowds - and sorry if I overload the CPU in your brain Dibo  :ashamed: - is there any way we can compare the crowd figures/averages/ % of population to say the NRL or AFL?

I know they have more teams and have multiple teams in one city etc., but I'd say some of our better crowd pulling teams would be way up there with some of theirs.

Also overall attendances of say the HAL vs. NRL vs AFL vs. Super 14.

I don't expect any miracles, but I'm wondering how much ground the HAL has to make, if it was in the business of comparing the HAL to the other codes (Lowy has flatly said the FFA is not interested in that type of comparison, nor actively taking market away from the other codes).

that's easy - check out a wiki page with a whole bunch of interesting stats here. per capita stats, well you can roll your own based on the figures earlier in the thread, depending on what you want to find out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred