• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

A-League crowds

northernspirit

This is interesting, some good crowd numbers except Perth which is obvious they cant win and Queensland which is suprising

edit: scum is highlighed as it was taken off the scums website

00015537-image.jpg

dibo

we're obviously doing fine - that growth is pretty healthy. more mouthwatering is the remaining calendar - big derby in hand, then NYE, then scum derby, then with luck a trophy presentation against welly. you could imagine some pretty big crowds in that lot.

the scum's growth figure is somewhat misleading, given that up to the first home game against us their crowds were

average = 7498

average = 17358.75

their end of season average was 11442, so you can see the skew there.

the crowds this year have settled out a bit over the average from last year - roughly 10% up, that might build as the end of season tension builds. we might see a similar skew this year in our crowds, though one of those crowds is bigger than the stadium's capacity and we're coming from a higher base.

queensland's rotten (early season) home form, a thursday night game and some pretty awful weather has been largely responsible for their drop.

perth needs no explanation.

sydney's not doing too bad when you consider how the club's been going.

melbourne's figure will dip now they look pretty much gone.

adelaide... whatever. best ground in the league, one of the best teams consistently, and they've got home support certainly no bigger than ours and crowds that are 'meh' at best. i really don't get it.

welly's figure will trend down as the eventgoers disperse and the fans remain, but they're doing reasonably for a startup club at the bottom of the league.

FFC Mariner

The sheepshaggers will probably go better in S4 as they settle into the HAL. If that happens, I would hope their crowds are at least constant.

As for us, our year on year average increase since V1 is very impressive

Deej

Last season Jets fans only started coming out when they were winning so yeah figures are very misleading........taking nothing away from them thou they certainly turned the corner half way thru last year and this season crowds have been strong.....plus they have travelled a lot better!

Agree with Dibs that we have some very big games coming up which should boost our numbers.  Sydney should attract 12-15k, NYE should get over 15k, scum 12-15k if not more if we could win the league at this game, and then last game of the year we could be presented with a trophy.....so yeah good times ahead fingers crossed!

dibo

DJ said:
Last season Jets fans only started coming out when they were winning so yeah figures are very misleading........taking nothing away from them thou they certainly turned the corner half way thru last year and this season crowds have been strong.....plus they have travelled a lot better!

Agree with Dibs that we have some very big games coming up which should boost our numbers.  Sydney should attract 12-15k, NYE should get over 15k, scum 12-15k if not more if we could win the league at this game, and then last game of the year we could be presented with a trophy.....so yeah good times ahead fingers crossed!

you could argue (though you'd be a prick to do it) that the scum's crowds have actually dropped compared to last year.

i'm just that prick - look at that finish to the year, averaging over 17k for the last 4 games. the question really is 'where did nearly 5000 people go'? the team's been going ok all year, they've been there or thereabouts, where has the crowd gone? :p

dibo

by way of comparison, our average for the run home was 10709. we're about 360 behind that, rather than 5,000, with big games to come.

midfielder

northernspirit said:
This is interesting, some good crowd numbers except Perth which is obvious they cant win and Queensland which is suprising

edit: scum is highlighed as it was taken off the scums website

00015537-image.jpg

Damm I throught I was the only one keeping crowd figures and charts.

But it's looking and there have been more rain effected matches this season than in previous especialli Roar who have had two massive thunderstorms on match days. Also Glory opening match was a down pour.

marinersman

It wouldn't suprise me if we ended up with an average at the end of the season of very close to twelve thousand when you consider the huge games coming up.

Derby against Sydney and Scum plus NYE plus the game against the sheep lovers when we get presented with the Premiership.

There's no doubt we're building something very special on the Coast. You can see more and more people falling in love with this club and it's growing week in week out. I can see us selling out games on a semi regular basis in three to four years.

Statue

Here is the crowds up to the end of the week.

rd17crowds.jpg

I think an important thing you notice about our crowd stat is we have only had 6 home games so far when everyone else has mainly had 8 or 9, besides sydney who have had 10. so we still have a long way to improve and easily could get our crowd average up alot higher than the 10,000 we currently have. The only thing that could stop us is the current weather pattern, it seems to be raining every 2nd day. i just hope it is fine on saturday and for the other 3 home games for the rest of the season so we can get good crowds.

dibo

it's interesting to come back to this thread.

immediately before the sydney game:
rd17crowds.jpg

as it is now:
rd20crowds.jpg

getting 55,438 people through the gate in three weeks has obviously boosted numbers considerably, especially when you consider only 62,095 were there for the other matches.

we've averaged 18,479 for the three matches at this end of the season, up from 10,349.

that's a 'beyond wildest dreams' kinda boom.

It'd be insane to expect crowds to stay there from the start of next year though - back to the old cycle of fighting for scraps of attention behind NRL and AFL finals, I wouldn't expect us to start the year with an average for the first few matches bigger than about 12k, 15k for bigger games. But it certainly seems this holiday period agrees with us! I hope we pull another crowd in the vicinity of 18k to pop the average up to about 13500.

it'd be good to see the scum pull in 20k as well to get their average to similar levels. our two clubs are the ones doing all the growing this year, aside from wellington of course. everyone else is pretty steady. 

rosko

I know that it has been said before... the Coast need to be recognised for such good crowds from the smallest supporter base... It is an awesome achievment... It would be great to see another 12-15k... Does anyone have a figure on attendance as percentage compared to population in the area... That would be interesting to see a comparison...

dibo

rosko said:
I know that it has been said before... the Coast need to be recognised for such good crowds from the smallest supporter base... It is an awesome achievment... It would be great to see another 12-15k... Does anyone have a figure on attendance as percentage compared to population in the area... That would be interesting to see a comparison...

[tt]
    Pld      Agg      Ave        Pop  Pop/Ave
MEL  10  260,642  26,064  3,592,591  137.84
QLD  11  186,496  16,954  1,763,131  103.99
SFC  10  146,559  14,656  3,803,190  259.50
CCM    9  117,533  13,059    316,000  24.20
NUJ  10  129,091  12,909    493,465  38.23
ADL    9  116,163  12,907  1,105,839  85.68
WEL  10  116,831  11,683    379,000  32.44
PER  11    83,557    7,596  1,445,078  190.24
[/tt]

worked from wiki population figures - derived from the census. ccm taken slightly separately and subtracted from sydney's as it's part of sydney's statistical local area. wellington's also not from the australian census for obvious reasons.

all this is very nice, but doesn't pay the bills.  ;)

~Floss~

Sorry Dibs, this makes it clearer to me - so probably makes more sense to the less-statistically-inclined:

Pld    Agg        Ave        Pop    Ave per Capita
MEL  10  260,642  26,064  3,592,591  0.725%
QLD  11  186,496  16,954  1,763,131  0.962%
SFC  10  146,559  14,656  3,803,190  0.385%
CCM    9  117,533  13,059    316,000    4.133%
NUJ  10  129,091  12,909    493,465    2.616%
ADL    9  116,163  12,907  1,105,839    1.167%
WEL  10  116,831  11,683    379,000    3.083%
PER  11    83,557    7,596  1,445,078    0.526%

Omni

Another interesting one is one that my football stats programme generates - Average % Full

MEL 46%
QLD 32%
SYD 32%
CCM 64%
NEW 49%
WEL 33%
ADL 69% (Doesn't count Adelaide Oval Match)
PER 43%

dibo

~Floss~ said:
Sorry Dibs, this makes it clearer to me - so probably makes more sense to the less-statistically-inclined:

bah... everyone loves statistics.

to answer one of brett's questions, one day i'm going to do a statistical test to see if some nights (i.e. friday, saturday, sunday) are significantly better than others for crowds, and see if the pattern is the same across clubs.

[sub]...when i can be bothered perhaps[/sub]

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred