• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

5 Most Favourite Albums Ever

P

Pete

marinermick said:
pokey said:
marinermick said:
pokey said:
2 - Under One Roof by Hunters and Collectors

Under One Roof is a combination of a few Hunters albums made for the American market.

Interesting that you got a copy in Australia.

I probably got the name wrong :p Its the live one....

I could of sworn thats what it's called but yeah.... I dunno. My mind is gone these days.

one of the best live bands i had the honour of seeing - killer bassist

mark seymour took about three songs to warm his voice up and it went from totally shite to totally brilliant

Agreed. Had the privilege to see them in about 1983 (?), as they were breaking out of Melbourne on a National Tour, and about to head overseas (Europe).They had just broken nationally with Talking to a Stranger, which is one HELL of a song.

Hot sweaty summer night in a crowded Manly Vale pub. They absolutely blew everyone away. The percussion was about the best I'd heard live, the bassist - agreed Mick, he was about the best going around in those days with a very trebly mix like John Entwhistle used for The Who, absolutely fantastic gig that went on for about 2 hours solid. Everyone left exhausted by the experience and lost for words.

In those conditions, the sound, the percussion, the brass and that bass with Seymour's growling, made the whole gig just about a religious experience.

marinermick

Spud said:
marinermick said:
pokey said:
marinermick said:
pokey said:

Under One Roof is a combination of a few Hunters albums made for the American market.

I could of sworn thats what it's called but yeah.... I dunno. My mind is gone these days.

one of the best live bands i had the honour of seeing - killer bassist

mark seymour took about three songs to warm his voice up and it went from totally shite to totally brilliant

In those conditions, the sound, the percussion, the brass and that bass with Seymour's growling, made the whole gig just about a religious experience.

this religious experience was the palais, newcastle, for me

venue that was never airconditioned and got very, very hot

great live venue that unfortunately has just been demolished for another characterless tower to go up in newcastle west

newcastle are making a massive mess of their old and heritage buildings

P

Pete

Manly Vale pub became a block of character-less apartments on Pittwater Rd too.

Newcastle always was, and will be, a mess.

Not holding my breath that they can turn EAS into anything decent either.

Auburn Mariner

I saw the Hunters in a triple-header at the Hordern, with Ed Kuepper and Paul Kelly & the Coloured Girls. What a great night it was, despite the 14 year old just behind me that sculled Beam and was taken away by the ambos.

Wow, the Manly Vale, I saw Simple Minds there, what a rocking venue.

Mick, have you seen some top bands at the Civic in Newcastle? I saw Barnes there, pity about the feral then-girlfriend who picked up that night (I shrugged my shoulders, said who cares, got on the drink, slam-danced at an after-concert party and had a great time).

Speaking of slam-dancing, Omni, you would be my first choice at a Marinator slam party. We'll put on "Killing In The Name Of" followed by "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and see if you survive.

~Floss~

pokey said:
marinermick said:
pokey said:

I think their most well-known live album was "Living in Large Rooms & Lounges" or something like that???

Atomic

This is a little off topic as I'm not talking about my favourite albums, but reading Auburn's last post has just stirred up some great memories for me that I'm going to bore everyone sh*tless with...lol

Hunters and Collectors... great Aussie band. My favourite song of all time would have to be The Slab (also known as Betty's Worry). I used to play it to fire me up on my way to rowing regattas when I rowed for the Nepean Rowing Club. I think Laurie should play it to the boys in the sheds before they run out.

Ed Kuepper... Genius! There is a Saints song called "(I'm) Stranded" which epitomised my eternal struggle in Year 12. I lived in the Blue Mtns and went to school in Penrith. Going to parties on the weekends was problematic becasue if I missed the last train home, I was stranded in Penrith and would have to hitch hike back up the Mountains. Stranded became my theme tune.

Barnes (Jimmy I presume). I saw Chisel's Last Stand concert at the Ent Cent. Always thought it was a shite concert venue but being on the floor for that concert was awsome... My ears are still ringing... lol

I first tuned into JJJ in about 92-93 as I was driving up the Pacific Hwy through Chatswood -going past the Great Northern Hotel (that's how significant this moment is to me - I actually remember my surroundings). The first song that came on the radio was "Killing in the Name" - the extended, uncensored version. It was 2pm and I was blown away. I'd just bought a new car and this was the first time I could afford an FM tuner, so it was a big, big moment for me.

Finally, "Smells Like Teen Spirit"... OMG. Buy the album people and just sit back and take in how masterfully crafted Nevermind is. It's definitely not overrated and deserves every accolade it's received over the years.

If you've bothered to read this far then congratulations! lol... Blame Auburn for stirring up all these emotions from my previous life :) Now you can resume on-topic comment.

P

Pete

Atomic - great recollections there mate.

I'm similar age to you, so I have memories like that too. I could fill a book with them all!

P

Pete

Auburn Mariner said:
Speaking of slam-dancing, Omni, you would be my first choice at a Marinator slam party. We'll put on "Killing In The Name Of" followed by "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and see if you survive.

Don't have to wait for some slam party Auburn. Just have him next to you in Bay 16 when the Mariners score a goal! Bookend him with Bearinator or Fish. ;D

marinermick

Atomic said:
Hunters and Collectors... great Aussie band. My favourite song of all time would have to be The Slab (also known as Betty's Worry). I used to play it to fire me up on my way to rowing regattas when I rowed for the Nepean Rowing Club. I think Laurie should play it to the boys in the sheds before they run out.

the Slab was their best live song

"just one touch, and everything would be allright"

marinermick

Auburn Mariner said:
I saw the Hunters in a triple-header at the Hordern, with Ed Kuepper and Paul Kelly & the Coloured Girls. What a great night it was, despite the 14 year old just behind me that sculled Beam and was taken away by the ambos.

Wow, the Manly Vale, I saw Simple Minds there, what a rocking venue.

Mick, have you seen some top bands at the Civic in Newcastle? I saw Barnes there, pity about the feral then-girlfriend who picked up that night (I shrugged my shoulders, said who cares, got on the drink, slam-danced at an after-concert party and had a great time).

I actually saw The Black Crowes at the Civic a couple of weeks ago. Despite the vocal mixing being crap the band was so tight and was a sensational concert.

Saw many bands at the Civic and it was a brilliant live venue.

One of the best concerts I ever saw was at the Civic - Weddings Parties Anything supporting Billy Bragg. The man is one great entertainer and his discussion between songs was excellent. Though being right at the front, I kept getting hit by leftest literature being thrown from audience members to the stage.

tyson

nikko said:
I wanna see Britney Spears in concert

You can. Just watch the Family Guy movie (the Stewie Griffin Untold Story one... the one where he goes 'HHHHAAAAA Griffin once again! HAAAAAA HAAAAA Undefeated champion of the world!'

tyson

Perm said:
1. Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
I only found out a few years ago I was actually conceived to this album. This has to be the most beautifully put together album on earth. It has been widely regarded and voted as the best album of all time. It has also been voted by Australians as the best album to have sex to! "Us and Them" has to be my favourite of the album although my favourite song by Pink Floyd, my favourite band, which I will get married and be buried to is "Wish You Were Here".

2. Radiohead - OK Computer
Also voted one of the best albums in the history of rock (Actually it usually comes in as 2nd place to DSOTM by Pink Floyd on most polls), this band which is dubbed in the Uk as "Punk Floyd" keeps going from strength to strength. The Bends has great songs, but does not make it a great album, whereas OK Comp. is a masterpiece of the last few decades as it is well strung together with their well written and produced songs all with unique sounds that would make George Lucas cream his pants. "Paranoid Android" & "Let Down" have to be my picks of the album.
Try writing one like this Matthew Bellamy.

3. Jeff Buckley - Grace.
Amazing voice, amazing album. Favourite songs are "Lover, You Should've Come Over", "Last Goodbye" and "Dream Brother".

4. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
American garage rock band from San Francisco. BRMC is known for its catchy brand of garage rock, blues, folk revival, neo-psychedelia and often religiously inspired lyrics, and its influences are groups and musicians such as Matthew Hilferty, The Brian Jonestown Massacre, The Rolling Stones, John Lennon, The Velvet Underground and The Jesus and Mary Chain.
Have a listen to "Rifles","Awake" & "What ever happened to rock & roll".

5. Kashmir - Zitilites
Danish Rock band who brought this pearler out a few years ago. Absolute massive band in Europe who attract massive crowds its a wonder how they have not had international exposure.
I highly recommend this album to rock lovers, folky and mellow at times with wonderful lyrics climbing to heavy face melting peaks.

Great Gig In The Sky is my favourite on Dark Side of the Moon. However, I can't really call myself a Pink Floyd fan.

As for the write an album like that one Matthew Bellamy comment, I loved it when Yorke was asked what he thought of bands like Coldplay and Travis copying all of their music, when he replied 'good luck with Kid A'. Hail To The Thief is my favourite album by Radiohead though... I just love the electronic stuff, such as <i>Backdrifts</i>, <i>Where I End And You Begin</i> and <i>Myxomatosis</i>

tyson

This is my top 5. Other than the top one, it is in no particular order.

<b>The Mars Volta - Frances The Mute</b>
This is my favourite album. As well as the music, I think a part of the reason it is my favourite is the emotional connection I have with it. I was only getting into this band when they announced this album, and the wait was about 8 months long, and the first listen from start to finish was one of the best things ever.

The album has 5 songs, one being 32 minutes long. It contains a lot of ambiance and noise, building into different sections and different tracks. The tracks all run together and the start of the album is identical to the end. It has a mixture of English and Spanish, a mixture of mellow and intense, and mixtures of epic, orchestral sounds and funky pieces. My favourite thing about the album is the vocals. Stand out tracks are Cygnus...Vismund Cygnus and Cassandra Geminni. The weakest link is The Widow.

<b>Brand New - The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me</b>
This is the latest album for this band. I was never really into them before this, as it was all that  stuff that is on bodyboarding vids and whatnot. After those albums, the singer suffered from depression from the effects of fame and other personal matters the band took a couple of years off and reinvented themselves, returning with this album. It is really deep, the lyrics are amazing. It has a really raw sound (production wise) and everything fits together really well. It has a lot of quiet moments, which burst into loud intense pieces. It has a bit of yelling and stuff, so some may be turned off by it.

<b>Aphex Twin - Chosen Lords</b>
I, and A LOT of other people consider Richard D. James (aka Aphex Twin and many other names) to be the best dance musician in the world. This guy is the most experimental c**t around. Most musicians talk of how they played their uncles piano when they were 8 years old. This guy opened the thing up and smashed the strings inside, instead. He was producing music around the age of 11, and at around 13 was writing his own programs to make algorithmic beats and melodies. He has been known to use lucid dreams to write music. He lives in a converted bank, and owns a Russian Submarine and an Army Scout Car.

Anyway, he wrote a series of vinyls known as the Analord Series. There was about 10 vinyls in the series. The ENTIRE album was ENTIRELY analogue. He only used analogue drum machines and synthesisers, and pressed the album to vinyl. He then released the Chosen Lords album, which is a digital version on CD, pretty much a best of from the Analord Series. (hence the name Chosen Lords) It has some extremely complex beats and some amazing sounds. It has a very dark sound to it.

<b>PJ Harvey - White Chalk</b>
I didn't know who PJ was until I saw her on Chanel V one NYE with Perm at his mate's house. It wasn't until about 10 months later that I actually went and listened to her music, which happened to be samples from White Chalk. I downloaded it, and loved it so much that I had to buy it. It is a really quiet and peaceful album, with a mixture of instruments, predominantly piano, guitar and harp. It is really raw and the vocals are amazing, particularly her range. It is very different to the rock sound of her previous material. I was lucky enough to see her from about 3 rows back at the Opera House early this year.

<b>Russian Circles - Enter</b>
This is an instrumental band. They have a sound that I can't really describe. Every song fits in, and the music includes a lot of complex guitar and drum work. The band has only 3 members which amazes me because it sounds like there is a few more. There isn't a lot I can say about this band, other than that they have a new album coming out in May called Station, and that if you are into bands such as Explosions In The Sky, Sigur Rs and Tool, you may like them.

I would have a Bjrk album in there to replace Russian Circles, but all of her albums have a few songs that I dislike. If I could pick my favourite songs of hers and put them into one album, it would probably be up there in 2nd place.

Pokes

Atomic said:
Barnes (Jimmy I presume). I saw Chisel's Last Stand concert at the Ent Cent. Always thought it was a shite concert venue but being on the floor for that concert was awsome... My ears are still ringing... lol

My dad took me to see Cold Chisel...it was my first concert. I was 11. It was awesome. It was at the Ent Cent too.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
Atomic said:

Yeah, I managed 3 nights of the last stand...then me head tapped out and i got bad case of bourbonitis...and i'm with Atomic, my ears aint been the same either

bjw

bjw
2 years on. how have your lists changed?

At the moment, mine is..;
Sawdust- The Killers
Daisy- Brand New
Aim and Ignite- Fun.
Radiohead- OK Computer
Saves The Day- Stay What You Are.

Honourable Mentions
Kevin Devine- Brothers Blood
Showbiz- Muse

Tassiemariner

Foriegnmariner said:
Others

Absolution - Muse
Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not - Arctic monkeys
Memories & Dust - Josh Pyke
Eternal Nightcap - The Whitlams
Californication - RHCP
Costello Music - The Fratellis
Dookie - Green Day

5. Favourite Worst Nightmare -Arctic Monkeys, 2007
4. Odyssey Number Five - Powderfinger, 2000
3. Led Zeppelin II - Led Zeppelin, 1969
2. Haarp, Live from Wembley Stadium - Muse, 2008
1. Neon Ballroom - Silverchair, 1999
In a word. Yep.

New list would be something like
Absolution - Muse
Odyssey Number 5 - Powderfinger (In fairness, last week this would not of been on here but now there breaking up and i have tickets to see there final tour, they're back in.)
Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not - Arctic Monkeys
The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
British India - Thieves

Others
Joy Division - Substance
The Kooks - Konk
Silverchair - Neon Ballroom
The Streets - Original Pirate Material
Josh Pyke - Memories & Dust
Muse - BH&R, The Resistance

Yeah growing up for the win.

FFC Mariner

In no particular order:

1) London Calling - The Clash

2) The Undertones - The Undertones (most under rated band of all time(

3) Never Mind the Bollocks/There will always be an England  - Sex Pistols (2 in 1 I know but WTF)

4) Level 42 - Level 42 (1st album) - Dune Tune can still make me stop the car to clear the memories

5) Bob Marley and the Wailers Live  - Bob Marley and the Wailers (1975 @ the Lyceum in London)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred