• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

5 Most Favourite Albums Ever

serious14

I had a fun old time narrowing by most favourite albums of all time down to just five, but for the sake of convenience and keeping the thread to a sensible level I figured that made the most sense.  Anyways, here we go......

5. Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory? (Epic Records, 1995)

Album of the 90's, bar none.  'Nuff said.  ;D ;D ;D

4. The Living End - Roll On (EMI, 2000)

Those of you who know me well know how much I adore The Living End and everything they've ever done.  I consider Roll On to be their best album, thus..... here it is.

3. Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV (Atlantic Records, 1971)

Black Dog, Rock and Roll, Battle of Evermore, and Stairway to Heaven.  And that's just side one.  :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: There's nothing I could say that really emphasises just how insanely great this album is.

2. Muse - Absolution (Mushroom Records, 2004)

1. Muse - Black Holes and Revelations (Warner Music, 2006)

It's really a tie between 1 and 2 (and before anyone asks where is Showbiz and Origin of Symmetry - I like them all the same, but they're more likely to be in my top ten, but not the hallowed top five), but Black Holes just edges Absolution because sometimes I have to be in a particular mood to listen to Absolution, but I could throw on Black Holes at any time and easily listen to it all the way through.  Not to mention it has my most favourite Muse song of all time on there - Take A Bow.  The most epic, out of this world, apocalyptic four minutes of orchestral electronica you're ever likely to hear.  Until you get to the end of the album and encounter the demigod-like piece of music that is Knights of Cydonia.  ;)

Jimmy

Pocket Full Of Kryptonite - The Spin Doctors.
I've just loved this album since I first heard it when i was 12, It's never really recieved the recognition it deserves and never gets on anyones top 50 list, so I'm putting it in my top 5. It's got some great rock / pop tunes on it, and most people would know 2 of the singles off the album, but not even realise it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocket_Full_of_Kryptonite

In Rainbows - Radiohead.
A few years ago I would of never really listened to radiohead, but I bought this album and I'm now a converted fan of all their works, I know its not their best overall album, but It's my favourite.

A Rush Of Blood To The Head - Coldplay.

The simplicity of the tunes in the album make it so easy to listen to, It has some fantastic tracks on it that just seem so organic (not an organ) but refined at the same time.

Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Band - The Beatles.
Pop in the 60's hit its peak with this album, it truely is a masterpiece that will never die, A day in a life is one of the best songs I have ever heard.

Led Zeppelin II - Led Zeppelin.
Rock at its best ever, no wonder Wolfmother cover it.

Others

Wincing The Night Away - The Shins.
Revolver - The Beatles.
Blonde On Blonde - Bob Dylan.
Cosmo's Factory - Creedence Clearwater Revival.
An End Has A Start - Editors.
Swagger - Flogging Molly.
Harvest - Neil Young.
The Bends - Radiohead.

northernspirit

(1) Guns N Roses - Appetite for destruction
No matter how many times i hear these songs theyre still just brilliant, think i wasted a few coins on the jukebox at pool comp every Wed night when i was able to get trashed during the week :D

(2) Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
Don't think this one left my stereo for months, totally addictive and a huge step up from their old stuff and i dont think the new stuffs as good as this album either

(3) White Zombie - La Sexorcisto: Devil Music Volume One
Used to love playing these songs on the guitar, great catchy riffs - rocking concert too

(4) The Living End - The Living End
Best Aussie band end of... Even better live than on CD - love every track on this cd, great to drive to

(5) Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power
Again rocking concert, actually met them they were awesome guys, signed some stuff for me, best guitarist in this genre unfortunately he was shot :( Raw and powerful

Tassiemariner

Jimmydinho said:
I've just loved this album since I first heard it when i was 12, It's never really recieved the recognition it deserves and never gets on anyones top 50 list, so I'm putting it in my top 5. It's got some great rock / pop tunes on it, and most people would know 2 of the singles off the album, but not even realise it.
Is this the album from the mid-90s with a song thats chorus goes something like
"if you'd like to call me baby then go ahead now and if you'd like to tell me maybe etc"??

My list now.

Others

Absolution - Muse
Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not - Arctic monkeys
Memories & Dust - Josh Pyke
Eternal Nightcap - The Whitlams
Californication - RHCP
Costello Music - The Fratellis
Dookie - Green Day

5. Favourite Worst Nightmare -Arctic Monkeys, 2007
To be honest any of the other albums i have said above could have got this spot but i just feel this album is very exciting and upbeat. Very catchy
Brianstorm. Teddy Picker, D is for Dangerous, Fluroescent Adolescent and 505 are the best of the album.

4. Odyssey Number Five - Powderfinger, 2000
These Days and My Happiness are absolute gems.
Very great album to listen to while thinking about your life and the watching the world go by

3. Led Zeppelin II - Led Zeppelin, 1969
Whole Lotta Love, Heartbreaker, "Living Loving Maid (She's Just a Woman)",
Rock at it's finest.

2. Haarp, Live from Wembley Stadium - Muse, 2008
Yes it is a live album and therefore meaning it's in a sense a greatest hits album but i think to fully understand why Muse are so freakin awsome you need to see them live.
Knights of Cydonia
Butterflies and Hurricanes
Invincible
New Born
Take a Bow

All Fantastic

(Black Holes and Revelations is there best studio album too)

1. Neon Ballroom - Silverchair, 1999
Just pips out Muse.
From the the brilliant opera-style darkness of Emotion Sickness to the "pop" song of Ana's Song
to the rebelious Anthem For the Year 2000 to the Beautiful love song Miss you love
Fantastic, easily Daniel Johns best work

Jimmy

Foriegnmariner said:
Jimmydinho said:
Is this the album from the mid-90s with a song thats chorus goes something like
"if you'd like to call me baby then go ahead now and if you'd like to tell me maybe etc"??

Yep, that's the one.
Unfortunatly the song was used in a Kmart ad, so now everyone i talk to about it relates it to that.

dru

Ignoring greatest hits albums ;)

5. Panic Prevention - Jamie T, 2007

I don't know just works, People either love it or hate it.

4. Transplants - Transplants 2002

Putting the drummer from blink 182, the lead singer of Rancid and one of Rancid's roadies together should never of resulted in anything like this, D.j. d.j. and tall cans still blow me away.

3. Life on a plate - Millencolin, 1996

Proved to me that it's alright to be Swedish, It's softcore at it's best and while they have gotten better musically this is still the album I will put on from them.

2. American Idiot - Green day, 2004

It's the tommy the pinball wizard for generation y, It's a pity that the title track doesn't fit in with the rest of the album. Apart from muse (who I can't stand) and the john butler trio (would support earthhour which says it all really) They are the only band in recent time to pull a song off that is over 9 minutes long.

1. Original pirate material - The streets, 2002

Where Mike skinner pulled this out of I will never know (actually booze and drugs would probably be the correct answer). "It's too late" is still one of the most beautiful and regretful songs around.

Auburn Mariner

NOT ignoring Greatest Hits albums:

Recurring Dream - Crowded House: highlights the pure genius of the wonderful Neil Finn. Killer tracks abound, favourite is "Private Universe".

Throwing Copper - Live: the album that unleashed "Lightning Crashes" on the world. Quite brilliant.

Back in Black - AC/DC: an album created from the ashes of the recently departed Bon Scott. Simply the best Hard Rock album of all time.

The Joshua Tree - U2: have a listen to this some time, on a quiet day, earphones on, with an ale or your favourite glass of red. THE definitive U2 masterpiece.

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 - Midnight Oil: Took Midnight Oil to superstardom, sends shivers down my spine whenever "Short Memory" comes on the radio. We ALL listened to this in the mid 1980's, and Peter Garrett became a cult figure across the nation. One Christmas Day, when the boring pressy crap is finished and the roast is consumed, turn on ABC1 and watch "The Concert at Goat Island" and see what all the fuss was all about. Garrett, Hirst, Moginie et al, and 10 to 1 in its full glory. A bona fide Australian masterpiece.

Sean

1. Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
I only found out a few years ago I was actually conceived to this album. This has to be the most beautifully put together album on earth. It has been widely regarded and voted as the best album of all time. It has also been voted by Australians as the best album to have sex to! "Us and Them" has to be my favourite of the album although my favourite song by Pink Floyd, my favourite band, which I will get married and be buried to is "Wish You Were Here".

2. Radiohead - OK Computer
Also voted one of the best albums in the history of rock (Actually it usually comes in as 2nd place to DSOTM by Pink Floyd on most polls), this band which is dubbed in the Uk as "Punk Floyd" keeps going from strength to strength. The Bends has great songs, but does not make it a great album, whereas OK Comp. is a masterpiece of the last few decades as it is well strung together with their well written and produced songs all with unique sounds that would make George Lucas cream his pants. "Paranoid Android" & "Let Down" have to be my picks of the album.
Try writing one like this Matthew Bellamy.

3. Jeff Buckley - Grace.
Amazing voice, amazing album. Favourite songs are "Lover, You Should've Come Over", "Last Goodbye" and "Dream Brother".

4. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
American garage rock band from San Francisco. BRMC is known for its catchy brand of garage rock, blues, folk revival, neo-psychedelia and often religiously inspired lyrics, and its influences are groups and musicians such as Matthew Hilferty, The Brian Jonestown Massacre, The Rolling Stones, John Lennon, The Velvet Underground and The Jesus and Mary Chain.
Have a listen to "Rifles","Awake" & "What ever happened to rock & roll".

5. Kashmir - Zitilites
Danish Rock band who brought this pearler out a few years ago. Absolute massive band in Europe who attract massive crowds its a wonder how they have not had international exposure.
I highly recommend this album to rock lovers, folky and mellow at times with wonderful lyrics climbing to heavy face melting peaks.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
1: IRON MAIDEN - DANCE OF DEATH - stack of great tunes, got me right back in to a band that, I must admit had lost me with some recent releases

2: INHUMAN RAMPAGE - DRAGONFORCE - love this odin warrior shit...and herman aint bad on the old geetar

3: GIMME SOME  - THUNDER - in the great traditon of british blues rock bands, ladies and gents I present what used to be Terraplane

4: DR FEELGOOD - MOTLEY CRUE - same old situation, dont go away mad, dr feelgood and without you....great songs and music from a freshly detoxed Nikki Sixx

5: HELL AINT A BAD PLACE TO BE - AC/DC (WITH BON )- possibly the greatest live album EVER....bon is in full roar and havin a great night

marinermick

Auburn Mariner said:
10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 - Midnight Oil: Took Midnight Oil to superstardom, sends shivers down my spine whenever "Short Memory" comes on the radio. We ALL listened to this in the mid 1980's, and Peter Garrett became a cult figure across the nation. One Christmas Day, when the boring pressy crap is finished and the roast is consumed, turn on ABC1 and watch "The Concert at Goat Island" and see what all the fuss was all about. Garrett, Hirst, Moginie et al, and 10 to 1 in its full glory. A bona fide Australian masterpiece.

without a doubt the greatest live band australia has ever produced with the greatest drummer australia has ever produced

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
marinermick said:
Auburn Mariner said:

without a doubt the greatest live band australia has ever produced with the greatest drummer australia has ever produced

Seen the oils a few times over the years, coogee bay,  the sundowner, maroubra etc....I was always waiting for hirst to split his drums wide open....good gawd, that man hit the skins hard but with such precision

Atomic

Perm said:
3. Jeff Buckley - Grace.
5. Kashmir - Zitilites

Great Top 5 Perm! Definitely agree with 1-3. I think #4 is a bit out of left field but I can't argue with it. Never heard of #5 but I'm definitely going to track it down based on your recommendation because you seem to have a good taste in music.

Jesus

Jesus
5. Slowly going the way of the buffalo - mxpx
4. 311 - 311
3. Ride the lightning - Metallica
2. Seventh Son of a seventh son - Iron maiden
1. Soundsystem - 311

Sean

Atomic said:
Perm said:
3. Jeff Buckley - Grace.
5. Kashmir - Zitilites

Great Top 5 Perm! Definitely agree with 1-3. I think #4 is a bit out of left field but I can't argue with it. Never heard of #5 but I'm definitely going to track it down based on your recommendation because you seem to have a good taste in music.
Cheers mate. i could have whacked in Joy Division- Unknown Pleasures and Flaming Lips- Soft Bulletin but It would've looked like a cliche top 5, so I just chucked in 4 & 5 as they're albums I highly recommend to any fan of musac.

P

Pete

Thread titles like this really do my head in, and I am envious of those who can make such decisive opinions on music.

Alas, I like a lot of music and can usually find something I like in some shape or form in most music. I can look at music from so many angles, from my experiences as a guitar player, a prducer/arranger/engineer, to a fan of live gigs ( 70s/80s pub rock survivor) or just someone who likes a catchy tune.

Here's five Albums/CDs I love, but give me another time I'd probably rattle off another 5 or more!

10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1: Midnight Oil. Absolutely blew my mind with the ferocity and menacing tones of the guitars and keyboards, perfectly in tune with the sentiments of many songs. Perfect producing from Nick Launay and the Oils. Had the privilege to sell a guitar to Martin Rotsey, just after they had been  videoing 'Beds are Burning". When I delivered the guitar to him a day or two later, I had a great couple of hours with him and his wife and got to hear many tales of his travels and journey that was Midnight Oil.

Dark Side of the Moon: Pink Floyd.  All the accolades are truly deserved for this album. I can't add anything to those comments. This album has grown with me and stood the test of time. As I mature, my listening taste has changed but this album still brings a smile to my face, more often out of pure love of the music, rather than nostalgic memories. That's as good as you can get.

The Wall: Pink Floyd. An epic masterpiece. Some may say it's very dependant upon the subject matter of disassociation and insanity and I'd have to agree. But the high quality of the production, the sheer weight of number of tracks and the massiveness of the whole project means it is a manic display of what could be achieved. "Run Like Hell" and "Comfortably Numb" are two of my favourite pieces of music.

What's the Story (Morning Glory): Oasis. After being on a holiday in the UK during late 1994, there was a groundswell rising in favour of Oasis (and Blur) on radio and in the press in the UK, generally. When this album hit the streets the market was primed for it, but the quality of the music and the production quality was able to meet the hype. "Hey Now", "Don't Look Back In Anger", "Wonderwall", "Champagne Supernova" -all brilliant tracks, and a mighty return to loud, big amped (but not heavily distorted) guitar parts. No wonder I loved it!

The Real Thing: Faith No More. Wanna know what a rock riff is on guitar? Go straight to "Epic" on this album, as it has just about all of them! The guitar work from Jim Martin was so strong on this album that it made me take up guitar again after a layoff of 18 months or so. Conversely, if I had been playing at the time, I probably would have given up!

hasbeen

Led Zep II
London Callling - Clash
Stupidity - Dr. Feelgood
Stranded - Roxy Music
Dark Side - Floyd

skilbeck

1. Origin of Symmetry - Muse - I love the other 3 but over the last few months ive been more appreciative of their piano style - Top songs "Space Dementia", "Bliss", "Citizen Erased"

2. Steal This Album - System of a Down - The best CD from SOAD due to Serj actually singing rather than screaming his head off for most of it, which is a contrast to Toxicity and the newer stuff - Top Songs "Inner Vision", "Nuguns", "I-E-A-I-A-I-O"

3. American Idiot - Greenday - Awesome Band awesome CD, They have a flavour that will never get boring to me - Top Songs "Jesus of Surburbia", "Holiday", "St. Jimmy"

4. Blood Sugar Sex Magik - RHCP - Much of my High school years were devoted to trying to learn these songs on bass - Top Songs "Power of Equality", "Under the Bridge", "Blood Sugar Sex Magik"

5. Battle of LA - Rage against the Machine - spent a lot of high school listening to this band, I reckon this CD is the culmination of 2 of the greatness of 2 CDs that were previously awesome - Top Songs "No Shelter", "Guerilla Radio", "Testify"

Honorable Mentions
Black Holes and Revolations - Muse - Top Songs: "Knights of Cydonia", "Starlight", "Map of Problematique"

Nirvana - Nevermind - Top Songs: "Smells like Teen Spirit", "Come as you are", "In Bloom"

Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland - Top Songs "Voodoo Chile Slight Return", "All along the Watchtower", "Gypsy Eyes"

Jesus

Jesus
skilbeck said:
1. Origin of Symmetry - Muse - I love the other 3 but over the last few months ive been more appreciative of their piano style - Top songs "Space Dementia", "Bliss", "Citizen Erased"

2. Steal This Album - System of a Down - The best CD from SOAD due to Serj actually singing rather than screaming his head off for most of it, which is a contrast to Toxicity and the newer stuff - Top Songs "Inner Vision", "Nuguns", "I-E-A-I-A-I-O"

3. American Idiot - Greenday - Awesome Band awesome CD, They have a flavour that will never get boring to me - Top Songs "Jesus of Surburbia", "Holiday", "St. Jimmy"

4. Blood Sugar Sex Magik - RHCP - Much of my High school years were devoted to trying to learn these songs on bass - Top Songs "Power of Equality", "Under the Bridge", "Blood Sugar Sex Magik"

5. Battle of LA - Rage against the Machine - spent a lot of high school listening to this band, I reckon this CD is the culmination of 2 of the greatness of 2 CDs that were previously awesome - Top Songs "No Shelter", "Guerilla Radio", "Testify"

Honorable Mentions
Black Holes and Revolations - Muse - Top Songs: "Knights of Cydonia", "Starlight", "Map of Problematique"

Nirvana - Nevermind - Top Songs: "Smells like Teen Spirit", "Come as you are", "In Bloom"

Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland - Top Songs "Voodoo Chile Slight Return", "All along the Watchtower", "Gypsy Eyes"

Sleep now in the fire is my fave on that RATM album

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred