• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

2021/22 season

Man Overboard

Over reaction. That thinking leads to the revolving door and fixes nothing.

FFS a few weeks ago he was the best coach in the league bringing our first finals attempt in yonks with ? .

I never cease to be amazed at how powerful the goo can be.
I don't think I'm over reacting at all. I'm not suggesting his sacking, but I am wondering where we have gone wrong, and if we are happy with the squad, what/who else does that leave to question? I don't think that I am alone in criticising some of Monty's decisions like playing people out of position or his substitution timing. I'm trying to understand how such a great squad that is very competitive is in this position on the ladder, and what needs to be done to turn that around. I'm all ears for any explanation on what has gone wrong. Are you suggesting that our players aren't up to the job, because if you are I have to disagree- they have demonstrated time and again that they are competitive.
btw 'goo'????

Man Overboard

I don't blame Monty, he's made some mistakes and needs to have a look at his substitution strategy, but really we've been horribly unlucky the last 4 or 5 games and it's been compounded by cheating refs.

This must be an extremely difficult situation for the young players in the team. There'd only be 1 or 2 players who's commitment/work rate I'm not sure about. Like I've said before if the guys are giving 100%and coming up short is not really fair to go them. We've had a very busy schedule mixed in with emotional trauma from being cheated, the team is tired. I'm hoping a week rest and training will see us come out strong against roar at home.
Thanks Dobbie, you are right. Unfortunately all of these factors were beyond our control, fingers crossed for the rest of the season

Insertnamehere

I don't think I'm over reacting at all. I'm not suggesting his sacking, but I am wondering where we have gone wrong, and if we are happy with the squad, what/who else does that leave to question? I don't think that I am alone in criticising some of Monty's decisions like playing people out of position or his substitution timing. I'm trying to understand how such a great squad that is very competitive is in this position on the ladder, and what needs to be done to turn that around. I'm all ears for any explanation on what has gone wrong. Are you suggesting that our players aren't up to the job, because if you are I have to disagree- they have demonstrated time and again that they are competitive.
btw 'goo'????
I think we're only just now getting to see what our strongest squad is. But we're unbalanced.
Few wingers. No big bodied screening DM. Inexperience in the back line. Too many skinny CMs.

Not to forget our tactics aren't great. We play one way.

Teams one touch their way through us. Then we pass the ball straight back to them. Our passing has bordered on comical at times.

Thing is most of that doesn't matter because we're still competitive in spite of all that going against us. Clean up a few of those issues and we'll be golden.

Forum Phoenix

I think we're only just now getting to see what our strongest squad is. But we're unbalanced.
Few wingers. No big bodied screening DM. Inexperience in the back line. Too many skinny CMs.

Not to forget our tactics aren't great. We play one way.

Teams one touch their way through us. Then we pass the ball straight back to them. Our passing has bordered on comical at times.

Thing is most of that doesn't matter because we're still competitive in spite of all that going against us. Clean up a few of those issues and we'll be golden.
Definitely. And while people keep noting we didn’t replace Stens like for like. Importantly, nor did we replace DDS. An attacking midfield player able to keep a ball under all kinds of pressure and great link player. It’s meant Marcos has become our main creator and besides miller often our only real creator. Great to see Beni coming good - unfortunately I still think we’re a quality winger and faz’s developing game off being balanced in attack.

And I’m not sure when Ballard or Steele will be ready but it doesn’t seem to be now.

That said while being outnumbered in the middle is still hurting us, with Niz alongside Olly we’re a LOT better. People talked about a quiet game from niz last game, in attack yes, but as a screener he got through a huge amount of work - especially for a quick turn around after the last shift he put in. He gave constant defensive support to everyone around him. Was a very underrated game because all he did were the really important little things again and again and again. So much discipline. Absolute star as far as I’m concerned.

Last edited:

Man Overboard

Hi, I'm not 'Monty Out' either. I'm just wondering what he could do differently or do better to turn things around. As Dobbie said there have been a lot of external factors beyond our control, but any tweaks we can do to maximise our performance would be welcome. The injury time goal pattern needs to be managed before it becomes something that we expect [remember a couple of seasons ago when we always seemed to manage to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory whenever we were leading by two goals :) ]

Ancient Mariner

. I've never been a fan of sacking coaches when things don't go well, but I think decisions like playing Nizz out of position, and delaying subs until players are cooked may have contributed to losses. I have an enormous amount of respect for Monty-not just his playing career, but what he has done with the youth boys and his promotion of some of them has paid off.
My apologies for misreading your post, the above section led me to think you were saying while never been a fan of sacking you may have thought it worth considering.

Goo feasting is a useful term used for posting on the negative aspects of what is happening whether justified or not. In the end it can call for any numbers of players/coaches/owners to be to be sacked as well as statements of not renewing memberships etc. When results re not coming it can take on a life of its own on forums and can be destructive of good judgement and conversation.

Last edited:

Ancient Mariner

Definitely. And while people keep noting we didn’t replace Stens like for like. Importantly, nor did we replace DDS. An attacking midfield player able to keep a ball under all kinds of pressure and great link player. It’s meant Marcos has become our main creator and besides miller often our only real creator. Great to see Beni coming good - unfortunately I still think we’re a quality winger and faz’s developing game of being balanced in attack.

And I’m not sure when Ballard or Steele will be ready but it doesn’t seem to be now.

That said while being outnumbered in the middle is still hurting us, with Niz alongside Olly we’re a LOT better. People talked about a quiet game from niz last game, in attack yes, but as a screener he got through a huge amount of work - especially for a quick turn around after the last shift he put in. He gave constant defensive support to everyone around him. Was a very underrated game because all he did were the really important little things again and again and again. So much discipline. Absolute star as far as I’m concerned.
Good post FP.

I think I will back off on my observations post match. You usually see all the things I like to point out plus more and express them in much better prose.

Man Overboard

My apologies for misreading your post, the above section led me to think you were saying while never been a fan of sacking you may have thought it worth considering.

Goo feasting is a useful term used for posting on the negative aspects of what is happening whether justified or not. In the end it can call for any numbers of players/coaches/owners to be to be sacked as well as statements of not renewing memberships etc. When results re not coming it can take on a life of its own on forums and can be destructive of good judgement and conversation.
No worries Ancient, perhaps I could have written my thoughts more clearly, and thanks for the 'goo' clarification

turbo

nor did we replace DDS. An attacking midfield player able to keep a ball under all kinds of pressure and great link player
For any of his failings going forward in his earlier seasons with us he always put in the defensive work and often picked up the ball in deep positions and carried it forward. Neither Beni, Cy or Muller are doing that at the same level. Nizzy would when on the wing but he is needed more centrally. I think our wide mids are letting us down although Nkololo is improving at the moment. Not sure how we fix that though, do we need to look at a formation change?
I feel like our midfield is often spread quite wide at the moment but doesnt stretch our opponents at the same time.

Ironbark

I know no one here is saying Monty out, but I would like to see him in the role for a minimum of 2 years regardless of results.
Staj got the spoon in his first year, 3rd in his second.

Barring some outright terrible luck we would be way higher on the table already. Monty has my unconditional backing for at least 2 years.

Tevor

I know no one here is saying Monty out, but I would like to see him in the role for a minimum of 2 years regardless of results.
Staj got the spoon in his first year, 3rd in his second.

Barring some outright terrible luck we would be way higher on the table already. Monty has my unconditional backing for at least 2 years.
Absolutely, we need him to stay on board. If we can keep the majority of this team together next season the results will be a lot better. With the way the Club wants to develop and sell players this roller coaster ride will always happen. You will not consistently make the finals with a lot of young players and a development mentality. As I've mentioned before this is the reality of the club we follow, I'm now accepting this and not holding on to the we can still make the 6 dreams. I don't see this season as a failure at all, however to keep it a successful season we need to avoid the spoon.

Big Dog

Not sure how we fix that though, do we need to look at a formation change?
I feel like our midfield is often spread quite wide at the moment but doesnt stretch our opponents at the same time.
I was thinking the same thing. Monty seems to stick with 4-4-2 but not convinced that gives us our best squad on the pitch with who's available.

Would be interested to see what others see as our strongest squad / formation right now (as some have done). We are currently conceding two or three per game which doesn't bode well.

Ancient Mariner

For any of his failings going forward in his earlier seasons with us he always put in the defensive work and often picked up the ball in deep positions and carried it forward. Neither Beni, Cy or Muller are doing that at the same level. Nizzy would when on the wing but he is needed more centrally. I think our wide mids are letting us down although Nkololo is improving at the moment. Not sure how we fix that though, do we need to look at a formation change?
I did notice Beni's defending was improving, however, a couple of times he looked unsure as to who was meant to be marking who a couple of times as reached the box on his side.

Ironbark

It's my personal choice but I haven't liked 4231 in the past. Arnie started losing his mojo with it and then Moss tanked with it. It defends but struggles going forwards. But that's historically.

With the players we have and not playing Okon ball it might even work for us now. Would be nice not to be so leaky.

Tevor

It's my personal choice but I haven't liked 4231 in the past. Arnie started losing his mojo with it and then Moss tanked with it. It defends but struggles going forwards. But that's historically.

With the players we have and not playing Okon ball it might even work for us now. Would be nice not to be so leaky.
Correct, we have probably scored more than we should given the mid field has been non existent. Problem is mid field is difficult to fix mid season (effectively on the run). We may take a while to get used to a new structure and in our current position we do not have that luxury. It's a real conundrum.

Big Dog

————Hall——Tonj——-Rowles————
Miller——Niz——Olly——Muller——Farrell
—————-CumD—-Nkololo——————

3-5-2 I'd probably switch Benny for Urena

4-4-3 Diamond, Wingbacks

⬇️ Miller _ _ Hall _ _ _ _ Rowles _ _ Farrell ⬇️

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ RT (Ballard) _ _ _ _ _ _

_ _ _ _ _ _ Olly _ _ _ _Nizzy _ _ _ _ _ _

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _Mueller (Moresche)_ _ _

_ _ _ __ _CumD _ _ _ _ _Urena _ _ _ _ _

Online statistics