• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

2018/19 CCM Season Draw

Timmah

The logic would be to reduce the off season by 2 weeks & start the competition earlier...:popcorn:
They've been shouted down for years both domestically and abroad for starting the competition in a FIFA International break, so they pushed it back to start after it. Now we want them to go back on it?

I'm no fan of the FFA but it seems like they're damned either way.

Antlion

I suspect (though don't actually know for sure) that the timing of the start of season is also about not clashing with NRL/AFL finals. If the first couple of A-League rounds get terrible attendances and generally go under the radar it loses a lot of momentum early on
I could be wrong on this but was always my assumption.

They will have to extend it one way or another once expansion occurs, yes?

Timmah

I suspect (though don't actually know for sure) that the timing of the start of season is also about not clashing with NRL/AFL finals. If the first couple of A-League rounds get terrible attendances and generally go under the radar it loses a lot of momentum early on

A-League used to start in August, but was getting way too lost in the NRL/AFL Finals, yes - so it moved to the weekend immediately following the NRL Grand Final.

The latest move has shifted it to three weekends after, allowing the FIFA International Window to take place without clubs like Nix in particular suffering huge disadvantage. There's also a FIFA break in Nov/Dec from memory?

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

given that the marketing is so poor that nobody even notices the season starts, they may as well coincide with the pointy ball grand finals and be done with it. At least that's a few more weeks of not competing with BBL....

true believer

Dead right.

But here is the rub half the nrl teams have already existed and if you have a melbourne v nqld gf then no one gives a rats.
If the punters have something else to look at then every chance you actually pick up
Non rusted on a-league fans

Timmah

Dead right.

But here is the rub half the nrl teams have already existed and if you have a melbourne v nqld gf then no one gives a rats.
If the punters have something else to look at then every chance you actually pick up
Non rusted on a-league fans
I think this year's gap was done well. There was just enough weekends (two) without significant amounts of sport on, which left enough for people to want the A-League to come back. The crowds were fairly good although the ratings not so much.

style_cafe

What kills the A-league is the home /away inconsistencies,lack of marketing by the FFA and the failure to break into the mainstream TV with a decent football program.
The inconsistencies with home and away really needs to be addressed.
It`s simple,play at home one week ,away the next.
By doing that it gets the fan into a routine and planning is simple.
Two consecutive away games kills the momentum a team builds up and fans lose interest,or family pressures mean fans miss games.

Marketing of the A League cannot be just a two week thing prior to the season starting.
It needs to be season long with highlight package moments shown in ads and game match-ups being promoted locally.

We need a footy show type of program where the fans can get to know the players without the same old knob heads like Harper and Foster.
Guys like McBreen need to come in and take over in a show that is light-hearted & fun.
Show bloopers,show football from around the world. Give the game back to the people instead of the so-called experts.

Tevor

What kills the A-league is the home /away inconsistencies,lack of marketing by the FFA and the failure to break into the mainstream TV with a decent football program.
Two consecutive away games kills the momentum a team builds up and fans lose interest,or family pressures mean fans miss games.

Marketing of the A League cannot be just a two week thing prior to the season starting.
It needs to be season long with highlight package moments shown in ads and game match-ups being promoted locally.

We need a footy show type of program where the fans can get to know the players without the same old knob heads like Harper and Foster.
Guys like McBreen need to come in and take over in a show that is light-hearted & fun.
Show bloopers,show football from around the world. Give the game back to the people instead of the so-called experts.
Bring back Sam, Santos and Ed. That was a good show. Totally agree Style I'm just not that interested in hearing Bozza, Archie, Zelic and Co. through the week on the various Fox Sports shows. I've tried a couple of times but it's worst than listening to them commentate or on the pre and post game shows. It does need a freshen up however I think they are well entrenched and going no where fast.

Reactions: adz

sydmariner

I enjoyed the sbs show Thursday Fc but it was canceled 1/2 way through its’ 1st season.

Big Al

Bring back Sam, Santos and Ed. That was a good show. Totally agree Style I'm just not that interested in hearing Bozza, Archie, Zelic and Co. through the week on the various Fox Sports shows. I've tried a couple of times but it's worst than listening to them commentate or on the pre and post game shows. It does need a freshen up however I think they are well entrenched and going no where fast.
They are still around on podcast and maybe i view abc. I think

Timmah

I won't address all of the above but the two points i'd want to make - first the home+away consistency will never be addressed. Just won't. Doesn't happen in any of the major sports leagues in Australia, mainly because very few teams have first priority on their stadia and compete with other codes for space.

The other is that despite their support, Fox are arguably one thing holding the A-League back. With their monopoly on coverage and analysis, fans are left wanting much much more.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami