• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

The end is nigh - impending doom - Moss out etc thread

the end is nigh and Moss is to blame

• yes

Votes: 35 57.4%
  • no

Votes: 20 32.8%
  • fence

Votes: 6 9.8%

• Total voters

dibo

Kate Cohen described it well in the Leopold Method. After talking through our basic shape and our passing states (lots of passing, not all that much of it going forward), she wrote:
This, of course, is not an inherently good or bad tactic. There are sides that convert their possession dominance into wins, and there are teams who are happy to concede possession but attack ruthlessly once they have won it back. What is important, however, is that side’s who look to dominate possession translate this domination into something in the final third. The passes must have an end goal of creating scoring opportunities.

For all their build up play and ability to hold onto the ball though, the Mariners have failed to convert this possession into shots or goals.

She contrasted our passes per goal and passes per shot to Adelaide, and noted our similarity to Brisbane. She identifies the nub of the problem here:
Simply, Central Coast are far too slow at moving the ball forwards into the final third. Because they look to prioritise maintaining possession first and the first pass is often backwards or sideways, their opponents are able to drop back and organise themselves defensively, making it more difficult for the Mariners to break them down. The Mariners then lack the ability to penetrate these defences. With a lack of incisive movement off the ball, and slow, mechanical passing they are able to maintain possession in deep areas, but find it difficult to move the ball in the final third and into the penalty box. After holding onto the ball for too long, they are often forced into meaningless long passes, as the opposition has shut down other passing avenues.

Bingo.

She goes into the conservative team selections too, noting we're not exactly selecting a bunch of known goalscorers and playing for solidity instead, but conceding too many goals to see a payoff.

The full post is well worth a read. I don't entirely agree with it, but it's certainly not as simplistic or under-thought as to suggest we need a "decent" coach or whatever.

Either way, two days after the post was put up, we played against City and won. Maybe Mossy read it and is looking to learn the lessons from it? Sometimes all a team needs is a tweak.

nearlyyellow

Maybe Mossy read it and is looking to learn the lessons from it?
I was halfway through reading your post and thought I might post about Mossy maybe having seen that article, but your last parag. said it for me. Somebody on this board has previously referenced this article but reading it again is quite insightful anyway.
I am looking forward to the game on the 24th. to see how or if Mossy maintains the more aggressive style of play we saw v. MC, with Cernak, Trifiro and Caceres moving fast into the final third. And we probably will have Matt Simon and Duke up front, with able bench support from Travis Major. We will be no pushover at Fortress Gosford. :shoutclap:

MagpieMariner

Mossy didn't appear to even have a Plan A tonight. He sends these guys out to play a style for which they don't have the skill, then has nothing else to try when that doesn't work.

Big Al

I blame the players tonight. That was bad effort and sloppy mistakes.
The game plan might have been wrong but not as wrong as it was played. IMO

Wombat

Why revert back to our usual clueless defensive formation and play Duke on the wing after having our first win in 12 or so games and Duke being on fire against City and us coming out of our shell and actually having a dig for a change.

VicMariner

Changed my vote.

Moss is not working out. Either he can't implement his system or the players are incapable of playing it. Something has to change and I can't see a massive turn around on the horizon.

rbakersmith

Changed my vote.

Moss is not working out. Either he can't implement his system or the players are incapable of playing it. Something has to change and I can't see a massive turn around on the horizon.

Yep, changed my vote for the same reason. He simply has to go.

Forum Phoenix

Monty proved why he should clearly always have been starting over Trif and Caceres. SFC was absolutely destroying our midfield and Trif was beyond anonymous. That is not Moss's fault. But he is not HAL starting 11 quality and that is Moss's responsibility. Caceres is great when the game comes to him and has great ability, but he is a 10 in training... He's not a DM, doesn't go to the game or bring himself into it, let alone impose himself. Feet like that don't belong on a DM, and he doesn't have the tenacity and mongrel that almost every great holding midfielder does.

GA,'s game plan was perfect, that was the best any team has pressed us this season. He also looked to have identified that we mark narrow/poorly in the box and encouraged the overhit crosses...or they got very fortunate twice. But it looked more like he said take up positions here and try to put the ball x... We definitely seem to lack such tactical acumen in our attack.

The only positive is that we showed some spirit at the end, should have had a few back, and again Major impresses. Good runs and always takes up great positions. Duke looking good too.

I think Wombat is bang on about sticking Duke back on the wing again, utter madness imo. Major looks the goods, and Simon should also start, so let's play two strikers, Major to sub on. When we do, we look like a threat. When we do not, we're too often being monstered and we're simply not in games.

Zac was awful. Posco to CB for me and get roux back on please.

Rosey, some awful moments, but what a run and assist.

On Moss. We do have some serious areas of concern - our spine is not strong enough and a blind man could see we have been moving the ball too slowly. But I still think there is one major factor before I lump it all at Mossy's door.

We are not investing in players. The two players who have ripped us apart most this season have been Weemac and Bernie. Right mids. Never replaced. The other hole is number ten, never replaced after we let Flores go, and we have to spend some $$$ to get better than Caceres or Trifiro - there's no way around it imho. So step the f**k up MC. I've been inclined to give you more benefit of the doubt than most on club viability, but if you can't show the minimum obviously necessary commitment in transfer windows to bolstering our on field performance, then I'm not buying another word you say.

Oh... and if Mossy, thinks we don't have this problem and the existing squad are good enough, then I see no other option but that he has to go also. SFC destroyed us. But the quality gap was greater than any tactical gap imo.

Last edited:

Spacks

Changed my vote.

The players are incapable of playing short, tight passing we've seen it time and time again of them losing possession too easily. Hutch is completely incapable of doing anything besides hoofing it upfield and hoping for the best. The moment Monty came on, we got a spark of desire and not long after scored a goal.

Attachments

• ccm.png
    ccm.png
    11 KB · Views: 2

Forum Phoenix

Hutch wasn't great, but of our three engine room central midfielders where we got owned; Trifiro was the worst offender, then Caceres, then Hutch. Monty and Major didn't come on to replace Hutch.

CCM actually have one of the better short passing games in the comp. But the squad has clearly been unbalanced in attack, lacking in quality, and unable to move it forward (or side to side for that matter) fast enough. Defense has been prone to repeated stupid errors and lapses in concentration, so we have no end of problems.... but one of the only things they have consistently done is actually move the ball around reasonably well in tight spaces. Even though sometimes they should actually be hoofing it up field.

bikinigirl

. i am not going to say that mossy is blameless ... but he has been hamstrung with how much he has to spend. somebody has just quoted monty stating that we are failing to implement his plan ... so regardless of what that plan is, the players are not doing their job

. we are way too slow -> ponderous -> nervous -> panicked coming out of defense

. i sat there watching last night thinking there is no way moss is instructing the team to alternate from 4-4-1-1 to 4-2-4 when we transition to attack ... we are alternating between playing tiny passes at the back with no link forward - to - playing long balls with too many pushing their defensive line way up field. all because we are slow at the back and our movement in midfield is rarely into space (either closing in on our own defenders or pushing the line as wannabe strikers)

. the sad think is a little bit more talent in the midfield would allow some of our state league players and under-developed kids to actually improve ... as an outlet or avenue we miss guys like bernie and the wee-man

. the game looked even worse last night because we have been watching ryan and sains for the last two weeks ... two 22/23 year-olds who play the deepest positions on the pitch and would completely transform our attack

Wombat

Hutch wasn't great, but of our three engine room central midfielders where we got owned; Trifiro was the worst offender, then Caceres, then Hutch. Monty and Major didn't come on to replace Hutch.

CCM actually have one of the better short passing games in the comp. But the squad has clearly been unbalanced in attack, lacking in quality, and unable to move it forward (or side to side for that matter) fast enough. Defense has been prone to repeated stupid errors and lapses in concentration, so we have no end of problems.... but one of the only things they have consistently done is actually move the ball around reasonably well in tight spaces. Even though sometimes they should actually be hoofing it up field.

They play short triangle passes going backwards and sideways with no one moving into space forcing them to hoof it long before too long....pointless football.

Bladesman

Lots has already been said about tactics, capabilities etc but after watching Moss at the press conference last night he is clearly delusional. Our skipper comes out and apologises to the fans for the performance at the end of the game saying it is completley unacceptable.

In the press conference Mossy talks about been unlucky and not taking chances. He must have seen far more chances than I did as most of the ones I saw occurred when we we already 4 down.

As for Monty commenting about not sticking to the game plan it is quite clear to blind Freddy we don't have the cattle for moss's game plan which is why we can't stick to it.

His in ability to adjust things when it is damn obvious things aren't working is scarey. With the disgrace going on last night there should have been 3 changes at half time.

Gratis

...But I still think there is one major factor before I lump it all at Mossy's door.

We are not investing in players. The two players who have ripped us apart most this season have been Weemac and Bernie. Right mids. Never replaced. The other hole is number ten, never replaced after we let Flores go, and we have to spend some $$$ to get better than Caceres or Trifiro - there's no way around it imho. So step the f**k up MC. I've been inclined to give you more benefit of the doubt than most on club viability, but if you can't show the minimum obviously necessary commitment in transfer windows to bolstering our on field performance, then I'm not buying another word you say.

Oh... and if Mossy, thinks we don't have this problem and the existing squad are good enough, then I see no other option but that he has to go also. SFC destroyed us. But the quality gap was greater than any tactical gap imo.
I'd like to agree with this but the players have shown they have the quality to win games - against MCity for instance was dominant and comprehensive. We've seen all the evidence we need about how this team can/should play successfully.
It's the coaches job to get the best out of what he's got. Instead Mossy maintains his playing philosophy, whatever that may be, at any cost. That cost is repeated demoralising defeats and eventually his job.

pjennings

I'm not getting into the MossIn/MossOut argument. However, their first 4 goals came from incredibly shoddy defence.

1) Posco is a CB - not a RB - second goal
2) Ando is not a CB - he is a male model - third and 4th goal
3) Rose misjudged the cross terribly - first goal

Thankfully the Smurfs missed a few sitters - particularly in the first half.

Why did we play 4-2-3-1 yesterday when last out when we created a lot more we played 4-4-2.

Why did our biggest creative threats from last game, Cernak and Vernes not make the squad or simply sit on the bench?

Wombat

I'd like to agree with this but the players have shown they have the quality to win games - against MCity for instance was dominant and comprehensive. We've seen all the evidence we need about how this team can/should play successfully.
It's the coaches job to get the best out of what he's got. Instead Mossy maintains his playing philosophy, whatever that may be, at any cost. That cost is repeated demoralising defeats and eventually his job.

Stubborn to the point of being stupid.

Capt. Awesome

I'm not getting into the MossIn/MossOut argument. However, their first 4 goals came from incredibly shoddy defence.

1) Posco is a CB - not a RB - second goal
2) Ando is not a CB - he is a male model - third and 4th goal
3) Rose misjudged the cross terribly - first goal

Thankfully the Smurfs missed a few sitters - particularly in the first half.

Why did we play 4-2-3-1 yesterday when last out when we created a lot more we played 4-4-2.

Why did our biggest creative threats from last game, Cernak and Vernes not make the squad or simply sit on the bench?

We played 4-3-3 in the first half. Switch to 4-2-3-1 at half time when Monty swapped for Tricky. We then shipped another easy goal and we then brought on Major and switched to 4-4-2 full on counter attacking. Was great to watch.

Thats how I saw it anyway.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred