• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Road to Brazil

pjennings

As a Mariners supporter I do not want Arnie to get the gig but am aghast at the thought of Ange getting the gig and the absolute fawning of the media over his chnanes.

Whether an Australian is the best man for the job is debatable and I think Ange is correct it saying it should be the best man for the job irrespective of where they come from. But Ange is not the man for the job.
Reasons why
1) Part of the job should be the need to be respectable if not competitive at the World Cup and to go close to winning the Asian Cup. Ange takes times to get people to play his system - with limited access to the players then it is unlikely that he could attain these goals.
2) Ange's system - his defence is based on having a better attack and keeping possession. He wants to emulate what some of the powerhouses of Europe and South America do. Put simply they do it better and Ange has no plan B.
3) We qualify through Asia. As Ange found with Brisbane during the ACL, some teams out-Brisbaned Brisbane. Others frustrated him by upsetting the tempo of his team. Ange had no answer to either of these situations and they are the ones he will face if he gets the job going through to 2018.
4) We won't have the best or even near the best squad in world football. The 2 Brisbane sides and the Victory sides of the last 2 years have been recognised as strong squads before the seasons. As such his results with Brisbane can be seen as expected and his results with Victory so far as underperforming.
On all these points Arnie is a better candidate than Ange.
Other observations on Ange's campaign for the job.
When Ange was interviewed about his thoughts on the Offsiders when they were all fawning over him he said it should be the best man for the job. When they mentioned other Australians he said that would be tokenism.
He also has said we shouldn't look to Guus as a messiah figure but was quite happy for Barrie Cassidy and Whateley to fawn over him as such.

Big Al

Agree but feel Arnie maybe a club coach as well.

Both need time implement their systems & work with individuals.

Both but especially Arnie would have to wipe the majority of senior players E.g. Lucas Neill the captain - I see no problem with that.

I'd go Okon if going local - Thought his boys were great in U21 WC. Play a lot of them with eyes on next generation for 2018 WC qualifiers & WC were they will be at the peak 23-25yrs old

I'd take Kennedy, Cahill, Duke & Juric as my strikers.
Kruse, Rogic, Archie, Kewell, Homan & D'Silva as my wingers attacking Mids.
I'd give the gloves to Ryan & Langerack
The backs are a bloody mess

sydmariner

Agree but feel Arnie maybe a club coach as well.

Both need time implement their systems & work with individuals.

Both but especially Arnie would have to wipe the majority of senior players E.g. Lucas Neill the captain - I see no problem with that.

I'd go Okon if going local - Thought his boys were great in U21 WC. Play a lot of them with eyes on next generation for 2018 WC qualifiers & WC were they will be at the peak 23-25yrs old

I'd take Kennedy, Cahill, Duke & Juric as my strikers.
Kruse, Rogic, Archie, Kewell, Homan & D'Silva as my wingers attacking Mids.
I'd give the gloves to Ryan & Langerack
The backs are a bloody mess
schwartzie?:rolleyes:

dibo

De Silva is 16 and he's played 4 first grade games. Let's not overdo it. If you're going to do a young team, you've got to at least play guys who have some senior experience.

Below is a list of players all 26 or under, the majority are under 23. The majority have This is the sort of list we'd be looking at for 2018. Given 2014 is a write-off as a competitive exercise, if we take this list to Brazil as a dry run for the Asian Cup, and then keep them together for WC2018, we're putting a platform together for a new golden generation.

Some of these kids are doing very very well overseas, others are tearing up the A-League. Kids like De Silva need to break their way into this group.

upload_2013-10-15_9-45-19.png

eenfish

De Silva is 16 and he's played 4 first grade games. Let's not overdo it. If you're going to do a young team, you've got to at least play guys who have some senior experience.

Below is a list of players all 26 or under, the majority are under 23. The majority have This is the sort of list we'd be looking at for 2018. Given 2014 is a write-off as a competitive exercise, if we take this list to Brazil as a dry run for the Asian Cup, and then keep them together for WC2018, we're putting a platform together for a new golden generation.

Some of these kids are doing very very well overseas, others are tearing up the A-League. Kids like De Silva need to break their way into this group.

View attachment 102

We all know Ryan should be #1 and thats a fact.
Seriously though, thats a good looking list and shows we do have some good potential, and that is without some players like Brilliante there. Our future is good... if we have the right man to unlock that potential. To be honest, I think Arnie would be the best option to do that, but we'll see.

Jerem

all i know is Neills attitude recently suggests that he is no longer welcome as captain and should be removed and put to pasture with wakehurst PL

eenfish

I suggest Tim Cahill or Schwarzer as captain. Schwarzer is a rock for us, and even if Langerak/Ryan is the future, Schwarzer is still arguably our best keeper (or at least as good as Langerak, both let in 6:vhappy:), and Timmy is by most accounts Australia's best and most consistent player, plus is by most measurable means a top bloke.

pjennings

Assumptions:-
· The FFA needs a high-profile person because of the need to give assurance to the mainstream sports supporter in the lead up to the Asian Cup.
· Given his age this will be Guus’s last World Cup.
· This will be Frank’s last World Cup as FFA Chairman.
· Han Berger’s term as National Technical Director ends July 2014.

How’s this for a scenario:-
· Appoint Arnie as National Team Manager.
· Appoint Guus as the National Team Technical Director – moving into the National Technical Director role after the World Cup.
· The National Team training base to be at the Tuggerah COE. Frank can throw money into the development and the main field can be called Frank Lowy field while ever the National Team continue to use it as a base.
· Appoint Tony Walmsley as CCM Manager.

sydmariner

I suggest Tim Cahill or Schwarzer as captain. Schwarzer is a rock for us, and even if Langerak/Ryan is the future, Schwarzer is still arguably our best keeper (or at least as good as Langerak, both let in 6:vhappy:), and Timmy is by most accounts Australia's best and most consistent player, plus is by most measurable means a top bloke.
I think Harry kewell should be captain & schwartzer & Cahill should be vice captians

eenfish

I think Harry kewell should be captain & schwartzer & Cahill should be vice captians

Yeah but Harry isn't even in the squad, mate. Maybe if he can set the A-League alight and prove a key role in pre-World Cup friendlies, maybe. Until then, Timmy and Mark are better options.

T

I think we need to use this world cup as a testing ground/trial for 2018... blood more of the younger guys and put the pressure on them to step up... The older players need to be phased out...

Big Al

View attachment 102

De Silva - Looks like he could be special - You don't have to play him but i'd take him even if it's just for the training ground.

16 Yes but held his own at the U 20 WC (scored a goal as well) - Has made an A-League club & has big wraps -
I agree he has to earn it but sometimes the special ones just need a go.
His size worries me a little but I think he could be the real deal.

eenfish

From what i hear, Ange has confirmed in an interview that the FFA has approached Victory about getting Ange for the top job.

midfielder

Whoever is in charge the squad and our youth need to be in the team... this is my run on team and squad players I would use..

Ryan (Gk)

Herd, Williams, Sainsbury, Davidson (Fullbacks)

Bresciano, Milligan [Cap] (DMs)

Kruse Cahill Oar (AMs)

Leckie (Striker)

Subs: Vidosic, Kennedy, Langerak, McGowan, Lowry, Luongo, Ruka, Troisi, Holland, Jedi, Rogic, Olly

This side could run all day, has speed and physical strength and in Herd especially a hard as nails back ...

sydmariner

Whoever is in charge the squad and our youth need to be in the team... this is my run on team and squad players I would use..

Ryan (Gk)

Herd, Williams, Sainsbury, Davidson (Fullbacks)

Bresciano, Milligan [Cap] (DMs)

Kruse Cahill Oar (AMs)

Leckie (Striker)

Subs: Vidosic, Kennedy, Langerak, McGowan, Lowry, Luongo, Ruka, Troisi, Holland, Jedi, Rogic, Olly

This side could run all day, has speed and physical strength and in Herd especially a hard as nails back ...
So no Harry kewell or mark schwarzer

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred