• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 11 - 2015/2016

Big Al

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/heidelberg-united-mariners-took-our-suarez

“We tried to do everything possible to keep him till the end of our FFA Cup involvement. But the Mariners weren’t very accommodating, to be honest.

They been pretty vocal about no compo and now loss for FFA cup.

Interesting we not keen to assist, but we need him for preseason training and imagine the shit fight if he got hurt with us without a contract. Heidelberg and Heffernan would blow up big time.

Forum Phoenix

And people complain we never make big signings? We just signed (the other) Suarez. ;)

Guy needs to learn to at least sound more philosophical. Because he comes off sounding like a prat to me. How many times have we lost our best and brightest - but always gracious and focused on the player interests with our comments. No one wants to lose their best goal scorer, especially before a QF. Everyone especially CCM would get that and feel sympathetic, but of course they can't "accommodate it". It's a pro contract shortly before the season begins... who is he kidding? Would be negligent for the club to have done otherwise, and as a coach you could even cost the kid his big chance as Big Al said. Even just a soft tissue injury, that would set him up for no pre season at all would make it incredibly hard to turn his one year deal into something more.

Bottom line, if he had a bit of a whinge, but said he understood/showed a little grace, thrilled for the player etc, and he would have sounded like a much better coach.

Big Al

And people complain we never make big signings? We just signed (the other) Suarez. ;)

Guy needs to learn to at least sound more philosophical. Because he comes off sounding like a prat to me. How many times have we lost our best and brightest - but always gracious and focused on the player interests with our comments. No one wants to lose their best goal scorer, especially before a QF. Everyone especially CCM would get that and feel sympathetic, but of course they can't "accommodate it". It's a pro contract shortly before the season begins... who is he kidding? Would be negligent for the club to have done otherwise, and as a coach you could even cost the kid his big chance as Big Al said. Even just a soft tissue injury, that would set him up for no pre season at all would make it incredibly hard to turn his one year deal into something more.

Bottom line, if he had a bit of a whinge, but said he understood/showed a little grace, thrilled for the player etc, and he would have sounded like a much better coach.
Had no problem with the no compo whinge which was at FFA not us but this one is just sour grapes. Self interest his only concern. Should be selling it. Come to Heidelberg we can put you in the A League window and have a relationship with known premier league recruits CCM.
Also wonder how he was feeling when he took Heffernan off Shepparton or where ever he got him, although in fairness that my have been between seasons.

Rowdy

“We tried to do everything possible to keep him till the end of our FFA Cup involvement. But the Mariners weren’t very accommodating, to be honest..

As for compensation.........

'SydMariner' posted previously in this thread that George Katsakis (HFC Coach) admitted he'd looked at Youtube videos of Heffernan before signing him. So maybe we owe him his 'internet' fee for that month :rolleyes:

The fact that Heffernan scored an amazing 29 goals from 19 games for Victorian Regional Premier League outfit Shepparton SC also helped George make up his mind.

But it also showed that Heidleberg DIDN'T develop him. Heffernan wasnt an 'un-devoloped player, he was simply 'un-discovered'.

Piss'n on George's parade even more is the forgotten fact that it was South Melbourne who were first to offer Heffernan a gig in the then named Victorian VPL (the top tier in Vic @ the time).

Heffernan chose to return to England (I think because of the death of his Grandmother ???). He came back to Australia & despite holding talks with South Melb, the move never materialised.

Instead, he opted for the then recently relegated from VPL Heidelberg United, with his one-year stint in State League 1 returning 19 goals in a title winning side.

Heidleberg were just 'lucky'

The following year he scored 18 goals in 25 games in the newly created Victorian NPL for Heidleberg & then 14 goals in 22 games in the season just gone.

For Heidelberg to have a 'stud' like Heff and NOT have him tied up in a contract is just plain stoopid.

A 'contract' would have gotten George the $$$'s he's crying for and should serve him & other State League club's a valuable lesson to learn. :cool:

Rowdy

This is the kid I wish we'd've signed .....

European clubs have their eye on Gallifuoco

img_6340.png
A number of English and Turkish clubs are targeting out of contract Australian midfielder Giancarlo Gallifuoco.

Gallifuoco, who is currently on Olyroos duty, has been released by Swansea City after joining them last year from Tottenham.

The 21-year-old has since been trialing with Bradford City and Millwall.

FourFourTwo understands those two clubs, along with other League One and League Two sides, are all interested in Gallifuoco.

It is believed two Turkish clubs are also keen on the former Spurs junior and will be watching him play for the Australian Under-23s.

The Olyroos take on Turkey in Istanbul and then Macedonia in Skopje in the coming days. The squad is currently preparing for the Asian qualifers in January for the Rio Olympics.

Gallifuoco, who can also play in central defence, is currently a free agent.

He captained Tottenham and Swansea Under-21's to league titles, and has played for Australia at Under-17, Under-20 and Under-23 levels.

* Don't know if Walmsley had even approached him, he's been off contract for a while now. Could've got him for a decent price maybe, but NOT now.

We got 20 y.o Harry Ascroft instead WHO'S NOT in the Olyroo's! whereas 21 y.o Gallifuoco IS.

If Gallifuoco puts in a good performance for the current Olyroo's campaign his value will go up again.

Shame .... all his vids - he looked awesome as DM/CB. & solid as a brick'shithouse.

imo WE STILL NEED a quality CB.

nebakke

This is the kid I wish we'd've signed .....
We got 20 y.o Harry Ascroft instead WHO'S NOT in the Olyroo's! whereas 21 y.o Gallifuoco IS.

If Gallifuoco puts in a good performance for the current Olyroo's campaign his value will go up again.

Shame .... all his vids - he looked awesome as DM/CB. & solid as a brick'shithouse.

imo WE STILL NEED a quality CB.

Aaaaarh, c'mon mate, much as I love the club etc, it says right there that he's being courted by English and Turkish clubs, what makes you think that he'd even look in our direction?
It takes a lot more than for a player to be 'on a free' - if it didn't, we'd have a LOT more big name players down here...

Not to mention, hasn't Ashcroft been doing alright so far?

Rowdy

what makes you think that he'd even look in our direction?

The simple fact that, as the article states, he's STILL WITHOUT a club & has been for 2.5 mnths. I was trying to point out we 'might' have been able to sign him 2.5 mnths ago which was previously talked about on here.....
Screenshot_2015-09-06-21-36-47-1-3.jpg

It takes a lot more than for a player to be 'on a free' - if it didn't, we'd have a LOT more big name players down here...

'More than a free'? .... yeah for sure, but a couple months ago he was released & back then 'getting in early' with an offer might've paid off, costing less than what he might be worth now.

Giancarlo Gallifuoco is an Olyroo just like Paul Izzo, and he signed with us. Why wouldn't GG think about signing with us if he's 'clubless' ? (& I'm not implying 'now' after reading about this interest from other clubs, then again it could be 'agent-hype' trying to drum up interest. Who knows? )

The A-League offers Ange a front row seat to your 90min performance week-in/week-out & is now being looked upon as a 'springboard' league for your career with opportunities to get 1st Team football wi/wo.

Other young Aussie players I think are looking at the cases of Matty Ryans, Musti, Rogic etc and are realising big OS clubs value your performances 'here' if they're 'excellent' & subsequently reward you for your efforts.

THAT should be ! Tony Walmsley's #1 selling point to get players 'like' GG to sign with us.

Not to mention, hasn't Ashcroft been doing alright so far?

He's played 1 competive game against Wellington in the FFA Cup .......& we lost that. Dont get me wrong, not 'writing him-off' just need to see more to make a judgement but hope he does rise to the challenge ....we need him to. ;)

And it's Ascroft not As( h )croft. :)

nebakke

Giancarlo Gallifuoco is an Olyroo just like Paul Izzo, and he signed with us. Why wouldn't GG think about signing with us if he's 'clubless' ? (& I'm not implying 'now' after reading about this interest from other clubs, then again it could be 'agent-hype' trying to drum up interest. Who knows? )

The A-League offers Ange a front row seat to your 90min performance week-in/week-out & is now being looked upon as a 'springboard' league for your career with opportunities to get 1st Team football wi/wo.

Thing is though, Gallifuoco was with the Spurs coming to the end of a contract, Izzo was with Adelaide - on the bench.
Them being Olyroos isn't really the major factor in this - certainly it's a reason to look at them, but it doesn't make them or their situations equal, so-to-speak.
I suspect that the thought of coming back to the A-league once you've gone to Europe - England in particular - is a LOT more disappointing than moving from an A-league club to another, especially if the new club has had a recent history of player development and international sales.

I had forgotten all about Dibo's post, but your comment read like you think we chose to sign Ascroft (thanks ;) ) over Gallifuoco.

Other young Aussie players I think are looking at the cases of Matty Ryans, Musti, Rogic etc and are realising big OS clubs value your performances 'here' if they're 'excellent' & subsequently reward you for your efforts.

THAT should be ! Tony Walmsley's #1 selling point to get players 'like' GG to sign with us.

I'm dead-certain that it IS his selling point... Not as much of a draw card though, if you're already IN Europe.

He's played 1 competive game against Wellington in the FFA Cup .......& we lost that. Dont get me wrong, not 'writing him-off' just need to see more to make a judgement but hope he does rise to the challenge ....we need him to. ;)

And it's Ascroft not As( h )croft. :)

We did... And I still don't really know htf we did either - even with Izzo's dropped ball we should've won that one...
Fair enough to reserve the call on Ascroft, but isn't he one of those guys that is being spoken highly of?

Rowdy

Wilko putting out the feel'ers again ....

Socceroos star Alex Wilkinson open to A-League return after four years playing in Korea:

David Davutovic in Dushanbe; Herald Sun

SOCCEROOS defender Alex Wilkinson said that he could return to the A-League in December after revealing that he will quit Korean club Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors.

Wilkinson has entrenched himself in Ange Postecoglou’s Socceroos squad, becoming a mainstay alongside Matthew Spiranovic and Trent Sainsbury.

The former Central Coast Mariner said he is open to European offers but said his wonderful stint in the K-League was nearing an end.

1227515819821.jpeg

Alex Wilkinson and his son Luca after the Socceroos’ Asian Cup success.

“I’m not going to stay at Jeonbuk. I want to change, but I don’t know what’s going to happen yet,’’ Wilkinson said.

“My contract’s up, I’ve been there four years and, to be honest, I don’t know if the club are going to offer me anything anyway.

“We’re in a smallish town, my son’s nearly three, three-and-a-half now and it’s time for him to start thinking about schools.

“If we’re going to be overseas we need to be in a city where there’s a decent sized population, suitable international schooling and whatnot and a bit more to do outside of football.

“When they’re a little baby it doesn’t really matter where you are. They sleep and you can take care of them in that sort of way.

“Football-wise they’ve been fantastic, it’s a great club, they’ve looked after me brilliantly and I’ve really enjoyed my time there and if they were to come and offer me something again, I’d have to think about it.

“But I wouldn’t mind a bit of a change after four years.’’

Wilkinson, 31, has carved a wonderful career in Asia, spending four years in Korea with high-flying Jeonbuk.

1227515819849.jpeg

Alex Wilkinson could continue club career in Australia.

After breaking into the NSL with Northern Spirit, he played almost 200 games for Central Coast Mariners before moving abroad.

He said a Euro move was unlikely due to clubs searching for younger players, and said a decision would be based on longer term security for his young family.

“I’m keeping an open mind. I probably won’t know anything until November or December,’’ he said.

“It’s going to be a bit up in the air. I’ll talk to my wife, I’ve got a little one so once the season finishes in Korea we’ll have a chat and see where she’s at and if she’s comfortable wanting to stay overseas, maybe we’ll look at it.

“If not, I’ll 100 per cent definitely be open to coming home. At the moment there’s definitely been no decisions made either way.”

Forum Phoenix

Wilko is exactly what we need. Great CB. Fantastic leader and club man who would slot in seamlessly and could contribute strongly when he retires also.

Club should do whatever it takes to find the money and bring him home. Can't think of a smarter move.

Rowdy

Wilko could just be the final cog in the wheels, a catalyst, linchpin etc-etc that Walmsley need's for this season to go from a 'speculative re-builder' to a genuine 'finals-threat'.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred