• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 11 - 2015/2016

localpom

I know it's controversial and probably a little optimistic but... I actually thought that our defensive issues last year, had MUCH more to do with a lack of cohesion, than with a lack of skill.
Whether that was down to the rumoured issues between Chesty and Bosnar, or whether it was the relationship to the coach or something completely different, I obviously don't know but... To my mind at least, we'll be MUCH improved if they can just be trusted to work for each other.

I liked Ando, but one of his core problems, was always a tendency to be frustrated that others weren't covering him or leaving it to the offside call. If this year's batch can be trusted to back each other up, not yell too much at each other when they feel that they're not where they should be, and keep working, even when trying to spring an offside trap, I think we might already be looking better in defence than a lot of the other teams.

I think this is also the reason why we saw so many games with a good start go bad. They'd be alright at first, then frustrations would build on top of each other, until they'd do angry things for the sake of it.
Agree mostly. Last year was the first year that our famed "Mariners Spirit" seemed missing...until the last few games anyway. We seemed lacking in belief in each other and the team plan. All the players we have got on board seem strong mentally and will have the right attitude. That and our fitness will go a log way to ensuring we will be better. Importantly...there are at least 3 sides that have had very disruptive preseasons (Jets, Perth,Brisbane)with players leaving,new coaches etc. Adelaide have a new Coach, Wanderers half a new playing roster. By comparison we have had a very settled last few months.Hopefully all this helps us get into the top 6.

Gratis

I think top 6 will happen. I say top 4. We'll score, we'll surprise with creativity and speed and we'll have more endurance than other teams. We'll also leak a few unnecessary goals but I think the pundits will put us 8th or 9th, most on here will know better and say top 6 and I reckon we'll do a little better than that, but probably not much considering the level of the competition of the top/established teams (SYD, MV etc.)

Big Al

However, the other side of the coin is that we let in 50 goals in 27 games last year. Are we a better defensive unit than last year? I think we are marginally. But we need to be at least a 10 goals better defensively to have a shot at the 6 and probably 20 goals better defensively to be truly competitive. I think we are 1 quality CB away from being finals contenders.

9 of 50 conceded between 35th and 45th minute
13 of 50 conceded between 75th and 90th minute
So tiring at end of first half and end of game cost us almost half our goals conceded. Hopefully fitness alone could get you some of those goals.

Also conceded 3 or more goals in a game 8 out of 27 almost 1 in every three. so defence got worse or never improved.

Syd FC and roar both scored 11 against us for one goal shy of 4 a game. 22 of 50 from 2 teams.
MV 8

I know pretty general but interesting stats.

We had infighting, lack of effort and tiring so while the young ones will make mistakes hope they can improve on those 3 issues.

Wombat

My source connected with the team speaks of Roy very highly. In fact, he says that he brings a level of skill as a striker that we have never seen at CCM before. So it's not all doom and gloom.

He also says that Austin still needs a lot of work. Not quite the diamond in the rough that we were all hoping he'd be... but give him time and things might change. It makes me thing that Rosie is nailed on to start on the left wing with Neill at left back. Incidentally, those two lads are coming to my work tomorrow to launch their pink kit, so hopefully I may be able to grab a few thoughts from the guys themselves.

Finally, I'm being told that the new conditioner is absolutely flogging the boys in training. A level that has never been seem before at CCM. The new guy is a real hard-arse too. If anyone falls out of line, he is on their case, giving them quite the verbal tongue lashing. The plan is to have an easy 3 day camp just before Rd 1 to let the boys freshen up.

My Source, told me Austin is the fastest player in HAL and once he gets into space he can't be caught. He has plenty of quality but is tactically green. With some good coaching he could be unstoppable.

Also it seams likely that Rose will start at LM and Neill at LB.

Reactions: adz

dibo

We've got three strikers competing for one position - O'Donovan, Heffernan and Bingham.

The front four looks tidy:

Ferreira - Caceres - Rose
-------------Striker----------

I think Rose is going to wind up beating out Fitz (or driving him to a higher level - we win either way). He scores goals and can lay them on, Ferreira scores goals and can lay them on, Caceres scores goals and can lay them on.

If *one* of the strikers hits form then we're in business.

I'm a little worried about our back 4 (FWIW I reckon Thwaite would be an excellent addition at CB).

I'm also worried that our midfield is going to lack fluidity - Monty's passing game isn't what Hutch's was and Rose won't dominate space the way Monty does.

On the flipside, if Rose replaces Hutch as a 6 then I think he's going to give away some physicality there too, but we lose less on passing.

midfielder

If Rose plays left mid as indicated he provides the older player.... Consider if Kalid and Liam Rose played as DM's ... or at least one of them... Monty's position as the person who can break down the play against ball playing technical mids ... we loose a certain hardness, a run all day box to box mid ... but gain technical skills.

Still off season just thoughts ...

midfielder

With Olly going to MV... I was thinking of the midfield we had we he struggled to get first game time...

weeMac, Musty & Rogic, Bernie ... with Hutch and then Griff and then Monty ...

Luca Brasi

I remain the eternal optimist but in reality, our squad looks pretty cut rate when compared to just about any other club, so much will depend on the potential of players being realized.

In terms of known quality from last season - Reddy, J Rose, Monty, Ferreira, Caceres, all have their limitations though, how many would make the starting 11 in another club? I like J Rose further forward.

I think Posco, Neill and Roux can do a job in the back 4, perhaps Posco is going to have to take more responsibility passing out from the back to the midfield.
McGing is an NYL midfielder who has been converted into a CB; Eddie has the experience/height/mongrel but lacks the pace and mobility required.
A lot is resting on Ascroft cutting the mustard as a CB, former Young Socceroo and a handful of senior games in the Dutch 2nd Division.
Izzo is an Olyroo and solid back up for Reddy.

Fitzy gets through a heap of work but is neither a passer or goal scorer and can be frustratingly inconsistent. I can only see Sim and Trifiro as squaddies unless something has drastically changed since last season. Kalik & L Rose both have loads of potential, both are current Young Socceroos, both were introduced to 1st team matches last season. Likewise Adelson and Berry (if signed as NYL), both are former/current Young Socceroos, both have impressed in pre season and both have a couple of years at big English youth academies. I am sure the young blokes will get opportunities in the first team, more so than any other club however if they impress they will be the first to sold off for the transfer fees.

Austin, winger or striker? Acknowledged as fast but technically unknown, limited CV from English conference clubs.
Good reports re O'Donovan but he has only scored goals in the lower leagues of England, Ireland and Asia; Heffernan first pro contract at age 28 but does look predatory in the box; Bingham looked a way off A League standard when he came on last season.

21 players on the senior list at present, not sure if any more can be expected given the purse strings of the owner. I agree that a top quality CB would be the first priority, it would also provide a greater level of flexibility for defensive/midfield options.

We have a coach with a real strategy and an outstanding record at NYL level and in youth development, but little senior team experience, and a club legend starting his coaching career as his assistant.

Hang on folks, should be an interesting season ahead!:unsure:

Big Al

Looks better than Bingham and Major as last years 2nd options.

Still worried about supply. It wasn't like the strikers were missing easy shots last year. There were no shots to take

Big Al

Sim thanks for the memories. Only to ever be seen at training and at the game in a tracksuit. Tried hard but not up to it.

If he even makes the bench in 1 game this year I will be surprised.

At least that proves the squad has improved, as somehow he started games last year.

gull

pjennings

Good write up on Heffernan - seems to fit the Mariners ethos. Probably not super fit at the moment -but turning full-time might mean we get more than we expect.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...e-a-league-at-28/story-fni2fopz-1227510391965
Mariners give English striker Heffernan the chance to prove he’s ready for the A-League - at 28
September 2, 2015 4:02pm
Tom SmithiesThe Daily Telegraph

AT 28 Daniel Heffernan had every expectation that a professional football career was not coming his way - but finally someone has “taken the punt” and given the Manchester-born striker the chance of an Indian summer.

Heffernan has signed a one-year deal with the Mariners, thanks to his prolific scoring record in the Victorian Premier League and some national exposure through the FFA Cup, proving that life can begin at almost 30. Mariners coach Tony Walmsley can hardly be accused of rushing to sign Heffernan, having watched him score a rapid-fire hattrick in a trial game for the Central Coast almost a month ago, and keep scoring for his VPL side Heidelberg.

But finally, four years after he quit England in the wake of his grandmother’s death, Heffernan has the chance to prove he can cut it at the elite level.

“I’m so glad that Tony has shown faith in me,” Heffernan said. “I’ve had people say to me that I could play full-time football but no one has actually taken the punt. “Tony has seen something in me and gone with it so I am happy to be signing and thankful to Tony for the opportunity. “There’s a good mix of players [at the Mariners] between the more experienced boys and the core of younger lads. Hutch [assistant coach John Hutchinson] filled me in on what the Mariners are about, as well as the area, it all seems like a really good fit for me.”

A driver and part-time footballer in Manchester, Heffernan initially joined lowly Shepperton in Victoria and turned his hand to some painting and decorating. But the goals came thick and fast and six months later he was snapped up by Heidelberg in the VPL.

Now his life will change again, having to adapt quickly to the demands of being a full-time athlete. “I’m looking forward to getting into the full-time environment to not only improve my fitness levels but also my sharpness and being able to learn from guys like Roy [O’Donovan] so I can bring my goal tally with me and improve on that,” he said.

For Walmsley, Heffernan gives him height in attack as well as cover for O’Donovan. “Heff is a proven goalscorer over a long period of time and gives us a point of difference in attack that we currently don’t have,” Walmsley said. “He gives us the opportunity to play two up front, added height in the front third and like we saw in our pre-season match against the Wanderers, he is a real goalscoring threat.”

Forum Phoenix

Yeah it's his big chance. Hope it works out.

It's actually a really interesting developing squad though - 9 or 10 players in the squad that will be dreaming of where they careers can go and desperate to make an impact, and I suspect much will be determined by how quickly they can hit their straps and find a rhythm and how Walmsley facilitates that.

I also think Monty has a particularly big job this year. Mariners have always had a lot of leadership on the park and it looks a little light on the ground compared to other seasons. Which is fine, but get off to a bad start with a younger squad and I could see it going pretty pear shaped as most squads are stronger on paper and have more experience.

Our attack does look improved from last year, and as I said at the time, I actually liked the look of O'Donovan even against Welly when most were annoyed. Not a game where he got to find his way into the game, so frustrating for fans, but he still made a lot of positive and intelligent runs and looked super hungry, just had no service from our attacking mids. Also Austin, he may take some tactical acclimatising, but he's clearly not without skill and that kind of pace always causes headaches.

Re our spine. Personally I'd like to see one more CB, but if he's not considerably better than we have, it's just a waste of money imo and we should stick to our brief and develop the youth. (Thwaite is definitely quality though if we could snag him)

I also thought Connor besides a possible striker, was going to challenge Caceres for number 10 and that that would have been a healthy thing. But if we do play with two strikers, and fast wingers in Ferreira and Rosey, it should take some pressure off our #10. We all know Cac has a lot of talent, but I'm still not convinced he has the mentality to insert himself into difficult games, like say the Mooy's or Luongo's. He really only seems to controls games when things are going smoothly for him/us. But hoping for a breakthrough year for him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred