• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 11 - 2015/2016

nebakke

Meh... How quickly we forget... Even down to the discussion about "who would get a place on another team" we've been written off so many times.
Yep, they were right last year as well, although I have to admit, if it hadn't been for Mossy, we might've done quite a bit better last season... Going on the last half of the season, I suspect we would've at least managed the top-6, with a decidedly mediocre playing troupe.
Thing is, as I've pointed out before, we always have a decidedly average-looking playing troupe... People keep going on about "if only the Mariners had a marquee" but that's never really been us, and personally, I think that we're the better for it.
So let's see, everyone thought Brisbane was a given two seasons ago, they weren't...
Everyone thought Sydney was a given, before just about every one of the last four seasons... Especially with the biggest marquee the league has ever seen... They lost 7-2 to us in his first season...
Everyone's ALWAYS touting Victory as a given, yet last season was their first win in what? 7 years?

Let's see...

dibo

Don't get me wrong, I'll be thrilled if we're successful, but I feel like I'm kidding myself to expect success this season.

pjennings

Don't know if this has been posted in another thread but it covers an opinion fr/ TWG on our season ahead.

The burning question for each A-League club;

CENTRAL COAST MARINERS:
How can it possibly win anything with its playing roster?
The Mariners were already struggling, having faded to finish eighth last season, and since then they have released a lot of players without putting any star players on.

There will be further additions, but it is well-known that the club doesn't travel well financially so it is unlikely it is going to make any earth-shattering announcements regarding signings.

That is, unless owner Mike Charlesworth uses the seven-figure amount the Mariners are understood to have earned from the transfer of their former player, Mat Ryan, from Club Brugge to Valencia, to spend on a marquee player or two. They could certainly do with that.

The squad now is light years away from the one with which Central Coast won the 2012-2013 championship. It's unfortunate, but a fact.

There looks to be a big struggle ahead for the team this season.

Read all other A-League teams here;
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2015/07/27/burning-question-each-league-club?cid=trending

Mane, Anderson, Griffiths, Morton, Slater, Pandurevic, Duke, Simon, Major, Cernak, Hutch and Nash all went either during or at the end of the season. In reality, most of them had minimal positive impact last year.

We have bought in Izzo, McGing, Austin, O'Donovan and Bingham

At the very least I would think that Izzo and O'Donovan are better than who they replaced

Wombat

Mane, Anderson, Griffiths, Morton, Slater, Pandurevic, Duke, Simon, Major, Cernak, Hutch and Nash all went either during or at the end of the season. In reality, most of them had minimal positive impact last year.

We have bought in Izzo, McGing, Austin, O'Donovan and Bingham

At the very least I would think that Izzo and O'Donovan are better than who they replaced

Mossy was way out of his depth. His lack of experience ruined his own signings such as Mane etc.

I'm interested by Austin and the Paddy.......those two signings could be crucial.

I'm more excited by the the fact Warmsley has more Football smarts in his ear wax than did Sully and Moss.

JoyfulPenguin

To be truthful I'm more hoping than believing we will be successful this year. Unless Bingham, Kalik and Liam Rose improve rapidly I can't see us challenging for anything more than sixth and be lucky to be challenging for that. This will probably be more of a development year than anything looking towards next season with an eye for top spot.

Anyways apparently Adam Sarota has been released by Utrecht would surely be a decent pick up though in the couple matches he played with Brisbane last year (on loan) he didn't look anything spectacular. Mate Dugandzic is also still floating around surely worth a minimum wage contract.

Rowdy

:popcorn: Season 11: popcorn eating emoticon sums it up best for me.

It'll probably go down as the 'Year of Unknown Transition', and for a number of other A-League clubs as well.

Starting the season were prob. 3rd behind The Scum & WSW 1st in the 'culling of players'. So comparitively were all rebuilding.

Poppa is a proven Manager whilst Walmsley & Scott Miller (both w/ Youth backgrounds) have yet to be tested at 'the helm' of senior first-team football where you have to live or die with your signings - team selections & tactics.

WSW have ca$h from both a solid/consistently large membership base & a generous/optimistic ownership group. He's already signed a few interesting foreigners & has proven in the past he has an eye for talent.

Whereas The Scum are in FFA caretaker-mode struggling to reengage with disillusioned members after Tinklers genocide of both the club & the players group

Brisbane will prob get some new owners who'll inject some 'new toy' funding or if not FFA will help 'Team Aloisi' with John's 2nd tilt. They still have a relatively unchanged & solid squad which now includes McClaren. I dont think J.A will repeat his 'Melb Heart' swim in the deep end.

Charlesworth on the otherhand makes me feel like 'we're povo'. Food stamps, bargain-bin buys and chuck in some 'couch-surfing' because he doesnt like his Mum's 'home cooking'.

I'd have expected HIM to promote the fitness coach to the Managers job, but the FFA beat him to it by doing it at the Jets.

Throw in the appointment of Peter Storrie with his chequered past as an administrator leaves me with Walmsey as the only beacon of 'possible light'.

Can TW take what appears on paper to be little more than a competively 'nothing' squad, which is made up of 'half of a team' that couldn't make the finals with an added handful of new non-pedigree 'roughies' and turn it all into a 'something' that can maybe make the top 6?

I'll have one eye on the size of our crowds, the other on what's best team selection/tactics & all ears for the post match interviews.

I can also hear the ding of the microwave now, butters in the fridge & the pantry is stocked up with bags of the stuff. Here's hoping its an 'edge of your seat' & not a 'straight to video' season.
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Last edited:

JoyfulPenguin

Bradden Inman coming off contract with Crewe at the end of next season if I was in TW's position I'd be in his ear about a move back...

localpom

Chris Long the Everton striker I was keen on was released by Everton and has been picked up by Burnley.:([/QUOTE
Shame...i was hoping he was coming. He would have been brilliant for us. Not sure if there is anyone else then from Everton? If not we still need a striker from somewhere.

Gratis

Will we win any trophies this year? No. Will we make the finals, win a few more games than last year and play a style and attitude that makes us proud? Yes.
I'll be happy with that.

MagpieMariner

Will we win any trophies this year? No. Will we make the finals, win a few more games than last year and play a style and attitude that makes us proud? Yes.
I'll be happy with that.
I'll also be happy with that...for the moment.

nebakke

Don't get me wrong, I'll be thrilled if we're successful, but I feel like I'm kidding myself to expect success this season.

Ah, on this we agree but, tbh... I think you'd be kidding yourself to have expected success in any of our seasons ;) There's almost always been someone who were a challenger and who seemed to be generally considered stronger in the general community.
It goes to show, as I outlined earlier - MV is almost always put up there... For the last many years EVERY year has been Adelaide's year.... Not to mention Roar and WSW... We're best off taking it as it comes, knowing that we're superior in every other way, so it'd be nice to add 'on-field' to the list ;)

rbakersmith

BREAKING NEWS: Ascroft is IN!

harry-ascroft_4gh1hrwi1d411txvwmrgnbeok.jpg

New signing, Harry Ascroft was today unveiled at the Sea FM/2GO radio studios on the Central Coast

The Central Coast Mariners have today announced the signing of 20-year old Australian defender Harry Ascroft on a three-year deal. Ascroft joins the Mariners fresh from a two-season stint in the Eerste Divisie (Netherlands) with VVV-Venlo.
The Kissing Point Junior’s professional career kicked off with a bang after being scouted whilst playing for Sydney University where he was asked to fly over for a two-week trial.

After impressing then coaches Albin Mikulski and Rob Wheatley during his two-week trial, Ascroft followed in the footsteps of former Socceroos Brett Emerton & Brett Holman who both commenced their illustrious careers in the Netherlands.

Through out his time in the Netherlands, the teenager not only developed his game in one of the world’s most respected football nations but also matured quickly as a person, having to re-locate and live in a foreign country almost on the day of his 18th birthday.

Central Coast Mariners Head Coach Tony Walmsley continues to build on one of the club’s key mantras, “giving youth a chance” and was immediately impressed by Ascroft who has spent the past two weeks trialling with the Yellow and Navy.

“It's hard to tell whether a player with overseas experience has what it takes to play in the A-League, especially at such a young age,” Walmsley said. Holland is obviously a significant place to play football and at 20, Harry has already played first team football at VVV-Venlo.

“His character, personality and work ethic immediately stood out then as we opened up the pitch size we got to see the scope of his ability and potential.

“Harry is a long-term prospect but can he play and have an impact this season? I think so. He has some outstanding attributes and he's a top signing for our club,” he said.

Ascroft made seven first team competitive appearances for VVV-Venlo amongst other exhibition matches, which included a hit out against Portuguese giants FC Porto.

“It feels really good to join the Mariners and I’m really excited about the future,” Ascroft said.

“Playing in the Netherlands was a great experience, I learned a lot and it allowed me to mature a lot as a player and as a person.

“I’m a very relaxed, calm player. I like to keep things very simple and I always put in 110 percent.

“The players here are fantastic, there are some quality players so I am really looking forward to the season ahead,” he said.

Read more at http://www.ccmariners.com.au/articl...9chuhh4splj91b13f0dp7k95c#SlxbSdkEoC93SMGI.99

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred