• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners squad HAL 10 ~ 2014/15

Capt. Awesome

On Soccer Stoppage Time a couple of weeks ago Peter Storrie said it was important for community engagement that we get a marquee. Given that it is for community engagement - it means a real name - not a convenient way to pay your best player outside the cap.

How would the numbers stack up? I'm not great on income and expenditure of the club but realistically who can we get at the right price to add huge numbers to our gate, sponsorship and shirt sales and still afford and make a profit on after taking into account extra match day costs.

He said that marque players were important for community engagement but he also went on to say he considers Ferreira as a marque player. So wouldn't get your hopes up just yet.

nebakke

He said that marque players were important for community engagement but he also went on to say he considers Ferreira as a marque player. So wouldn't get your hopes up just yet.

To be honest, I don't think that's the worst call I've ever heard from the club.... Same goes for Flores actually. Are they Del Piero-type marquees? No, not even close obviously... But they seem to get the community engaged and quickly become the sorts of players that casuals show up for anyway so perhaps, ultimately they're a similar quality investment, due to the relatively low-cost-high-returns-type scenario.

localpom

On Soccer Stoppage Time a couple of weeks ago Peter Storrie said it was important for community engagement that we get a marquee. Given that it is for community engagement - it means a real name - not a convenient way to pay your best player outside the cap.

How would the numbers stack up? I'm not great on income and expenditure of the club but realistically who can we get at the right price to add huge numbers to our gate, sponsorship and shirt sales and still afford and make a profit on after taking into account extra match day costs.
I'd like to see us get a player or two that would be like marquee players but without the massive salary. Someone that can generate excitement (like Fabio), and maybe has played at a high level before and reasonably well known (MacDonald maybe?). I wouldn't mind a proven striker in the A league who may be available....Smeltz or Archie are two that could possibly figure.

Mini In Bay 6

To be honest, I don't think that's the worst call I've ever heard from the club.... Same goes for Flores actually. Are they Del Piero-type marquees? No, not even close obviously... But they seem to get the community engaged and quickly become the sorts of players that casuals show up for anyway so perhaps, ultimately they're a similar quality investment, due to the relatively low-cost-high-returns-type scenario.

If memory serves our best crowds was when we had Aloisi.

Whoever the marquee is, he has to have marketing pulling power - and there aint many global or aussie footballers who the man in the street would recognise that we could conceivably pick up. Cahill would be one, Bresc maybe another. Fowler would have been awesome in years past. But overall it's a short list in my mind.

nebakke

Whoever the marquee is, he has to have marketing pulling power - and there aint many global or aussie footballers who the man in the street would recognise that we could conceivably pick up. Cahill would be one, Bresc maybe another. Fowler would have been awesome in years past. But overall it's a short list in my mind.

Yep, which is why I think that we, as a club with little means, are probably better off, long-term, hiring someone who can play and excite rather than only draw on a big name...

sydmariner

neill (lucas) we need a new cb don't we

pjennings

We can only dream but TBH, Timmy is only Australian that I think would bring in consistently large numbers, attract large corporate sponsors and generate shirt sales. That said I don't think even he could survive on the service we have provided to strikers this season. We could actually make money on him and build crowds - even if he chose to retire after a season.

The trick would be to build a squad with him that will be exciting enough and play exciting enough football to maintain levels after he leaves or retires. Remember when Aloisi left so did a lot of our crowds ( I know there were other factors at play).

Last edited:

nearlyyellow

Yep, which is why I think that we, as a club with little means, are probably better off, long-term, hiring someone who can play and excite rather than only draw on a big name...
And I think, to some extent, that Fabio Ferreira is that kind of player. He may not be *the one*, but he's close to an example of what you're talking about.

Atomic

neill (lucas) we need a new cb don't we
Aside from the fact that he's past it and we can do far better, I don't think Lucas is the drawcard that he used to be. His reluctance to retire gracefully from the socceroos and his willingness to whore himself around for the biggest pay cheque rather than get quality game time to prepare for socceroo games, left a bit of a sour taste in many peoples mouths.

VicMariner

It is difficult for a CB to grab attention.
A marquee should ideally be someone in the front third banging in regular goals.

pjennings

As much as tonight was another improving performance the cattle is just not at the same level as many of the front-runners.
TBH - out of our squad going forward next season only Rose, Monty, Caceres and Ferriera would get into most starting XIs. The recruiting really needs to be well targeted over the break. We have really lost so much quality - mostly from the first XI. It is only when we have 2 people that can fit in easily to the first XI that we will be truly competitive. This is who I would like to see as our second XI.
-----------------------Reddy
Roux------Poscoliero--------Anderson----Neill
-------------------------Kalik
---------------Vernes-----------Trifiro-----------
Cernak---------------Bingham------------Fitzgerald

I know I shouldn't quote myself, but tonight we played the team immediately above us for a possible final spot (given Perth's saga).

Do we have the cattle - nowhere near it. We have just lost more and more quality players over the last 2 or 3 years with only Fabio coming the other way. This year has to be a major turnover of players with a lot of quality coming in. CBs are the first order of the day and clinical strikers the other. I think I said this a year ago.

Never mind attracting new supporters - we will continue losing die-hards if we don't try to compete properly next season.

Forum Phoenix

I think the only thing we can be sure of Pat is that we're going to try and continue to bring more exciting youth through, to sell them on sure, but has been great watching the youngsters develop.

But will we be able to seriously compete? I think there is more cause now than six weeks ago to be optimistic, but I thoroughly agree, our squad is clearly off the pace and we do need to spend. There's a reason for the salary cap, and our inability to spend up to it (or over via marquees) is showing more than at any other time. That said, the club is finally making good noises again...so I thing there's a bit of light at the end of this seasons tunnel.

Roy Law

Morton, Ando, Bosnar and Major all out of contract this year? I will be amazed if any are retained after yesterday. The decks will be cleared and we can all get excited at the start of next season with our new recruits and coach. Because we are football fans and whatever happened yesterday will be long forgotten and we will all be full of enthusiasm come the start of next year. COYY! :overheadl:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred