• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

"I for one welcome our insect overlords" - The Politics Thread

pjennings

The problem primarily lies not in the decision but rather the govts capacity to have a conversation.
Any conversation - needs to be had when the alternative use is known. i.e. probably at budget time. When the answer will be either we're taking out money from the money supply to lower pressure on inflation or we are using the savings to pay for xyz (e.g. to provide either services or relief to homeowners/renters).

Insertnamehere

Any conversation - needs to be had when the alternative use is known. i.e. probably at budget time. When the answer will be either we're taking out money from the money supply to lower pressure on inflation or we are using the savings to pay for xyz (e.g. to provide either services or relief to homeowners/renters).
I doubt both their communication skills and the their ability to get a thorough story through via MSM.

FFC Mariner

If they were going to ditch the stage 3 cuts they needed to do it early on so that the backlash was buried by the voice debacle.
Too late now, they are on the slide, Albo is tottering and they dont have the political capital to take money out of people pockets.
Only Labor could give Dutton a chance. What a shambles

Insertnamehere

If they were going to ditch the stage 3 cuts they needed to do it early on so that the backlash was buried by the voice debacle.
Too late now, they are on the slide, Albo is tottering and they dont have the political capital to take money out of people pockets.
Be careful taking media spin on polling data. Least of all most of the changes have been without the MOE, but also other polls are showing Labor back up. They'd have their own internal data to show where they're sitting.

Problem for them is the general public have shown repeatedly how conservative they are economically.

FFC Mariner

A party needs 77 seats to govern in its own right (if you add in the speaker). Labor has 78. Wont take much to deliver a hung parliament and I think its the duty of all of us to make Australia ungovernable by either red or blue.

Hello Sailor

I wonder when the knives are coming out? Plibersek must be a good option

pjennings

I wonder when the knives are coming out? Plibersek must be a good option
More chance of a LNP spill because of the new ALP rules and because the NSW and Vic Libs will not want a Queenslander if they look likely to win. There has not been a LIB PM that was not from NSW or Vic. Downer was the opposition leader from SA. So a total of 3 years as opposition leader (including Dutton) from other than NSW or Vic since 1944.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

yeah, surely the Libs would have to realise that nobody wants to see Dutton take the throne? Though that would require uncharasteric self-awareness from that party...but then again, if he's polling reasonably strongly, then there's no real reason for a spill. The thought of Voldemort in power is a terrifying concept. Abbott was our version of Dubya, Scomo proved that there's no need to actually hide corruption anymore because it literally doesn't matter, but Dutton comes off as actually sadistic, on top of carrying all the worst traits we've seen lately from that party. We already know he'll lie through his teeth, so sadly no change from the party there.

As for polling - I wonder how much people would lie on polls just to send a message? That is, a lot of people who would vote Labor next election might indicate otherwise in a poll, as a means of sending a message of discontent to Albo?

I can't see any spill for ALP on the cards. It would just be nice if that party stopped being afraid of the LNP......but the public and media don't exactly help with that.

Big Al

yeah, surely the Libs would have to realise that nobody wants to see Dutton take the throne? Though that would require uncharasteric self-awareness from that party...but then again, if he's polling reasonably strongly, then there's no real reason for a spill. The thought of Voldemort in power is a terrifying concept. Abbott was our version of Dubya, Scomo proved that there's no need to actually hide corruption anymore because it literally doesn't matter, but Dutton comes off as actually sadistic, on top of carrying all the worst traits we've seen lately from that party. We already know he'll lie through his teeth, so sadly no change from the party there.

As for polling - I wonder how much people would lie on polls just to send a message? That is, a lot of people who would vote Labor next election might indicate otherwise in a poll, as a means of sending a message of discontent to Albo?

I can't see any spill for ALP on the cards. It would just be nice if that party stopped being afraid of the LNP......but the public and media don't exactly help with that.
With the way that Albo is tracking i don’t think they will punt Dutton.

Also who for is the old age question. Libs need fresh blood.

I think they will stay put and punt him during his first term if he manages to win

Insertnamehere

With the way that Albo is tracking i don’t think they will punt Dutton.

Also who for is the old age question. Libs need fresh blood.

I think they will stay put and punt him during his first term if he manages to win
Problem for Labor is there'll be another 1.2m gen z voters who vote about even labor:greens. They could lose a few more seats further left.

Honestly people are scared the greens because the overton window has shifted so far since john Howard but I look forward to hung parliaments. The greens and teals will drag the conversation back towards the centre.

Last edited:

Big Al

Looks like Labor is determined to implement the cuts. Last paragraph is interesting.
Decent read. They will definitely happen it’s just whether it gets watered down.
A lot of people want to get their hands on the money to waste it themselves (not talking about the intended recipients).

Bracket creep is high but probably still to early in the inflation control. You need to keep things tougher for longer to keep control. I think we are right on the edge where people can survive but it’s tough which I think is the right spot until everything settles down. The rush for cuts is just bad journalism or people desperate to pick the next change.

I am not sure on the polling. There was a point not so long ago where that might have been true as inflation was rising but a lack of understanding of bracket creep may also be in play. People just hear the media talking about tax cuts to higher income workers. People always want something for themselves

Hello Sailor

I had hoped that if they amended these cuts it would be to pay off government debt or adequately fund Defence, Medicare etc. Looks like Labor is kicking those cans down the road.

Big Al

I had hoped that if they amended these cuts it would be to pay off government debt or adequately fund Defence, Medicare etc. Looks like Labor is kicking those cans down the road.
No chance of those things and they would get killed if they did.

I actually don’t mind the changes but the higher bracket does need to move too but more gradually. $9k in one year is too much. If they did it over 5 years that would be a good compromise

At least the smaller increases to lower middle income earners won’t be that big on a paycheck and shouldn’t effect inflation as much.

I know election is on the horizon but would have better better just delaying the cuts for 12 months to see how inflation goes

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred