• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

FFA Cup 2015 - Mariners game

Big Al

A cynic might wonder if there was an incentive to loose. Save money on travel costs.

A poor GK error and missed penalty.

Haven't seen game but al least we didn't leak a tonne of goals like last year so there is some improvement.

JoyfulPenguin

My review of our players:

-Goalkeeper Paul Izzo:
Apart from his one horrendous mistake and a couple of miss hit clearances he was good. He had his mistake that "Keepers have to have" and should move forward from that.

-Right Back (Subbed out at 78'): Storm Roux:
Was very good, dominated his side of the field and repelled every right sided attack, one of our best.

-Right Centre Back: Harry Ascroft:
Did well if not looking forward enough, seems to have limited ball playing ability but makes up for it with great defensive awareness.

-Left Centre Back: Jake McGing:
Very impressive, was seemingly tasked with being the player to move the ball out of the back half and did so with aplomb if struggling in the early portion of the game. Made numerous marauding attacking runs with the ball and won three free kicks. Also won the penalty.

-Left Back (Subbed out at 61'): Michael Neill:
Pressured defenders well but failed to win the ball. Rarely overlapped and needs to improve that side of his game.

-Central Midfield: Nick Montgomery:
Played very well, was a stand out in the first half and for a majority of the second until the last ten minutes where he seemed to fade. Intercepted well and played plenty of killer balls.

-Right Central Midfield: Nicholas Fitzgerald:
Made some great runs though struggled with his touch and decision making at times. Played numerous wonderful crosses two of which should have been put away by Anthony Cáceres. Failed to get into good positions for crosses.

-Right Central Midfield (Subbed in at 78'): Liam Rose:
Did well with limited game time. Put the cross in that resulted in a penalty and set up numerous attacks in the latter stages of the match, should start ahead of Cáceres if this performance bears any weight.

-Left Central Midfield: Anthony Cáceres:
Couldn't put a pass together today and missed two good heading chances. Made one good run with the ball at defenders and won a corner but struggled to set up play like he needed to. Left much wanting in his forward positioning.

-Right Wing: Fábio Ferreira:
Played very poorly in the opening half and improved a fair bit in the second. Putting in two good crosses, needs to be quicker with his distribution but was an off day for a good player.

-Striker: Roy O'Donovan:
Was horrendous in the first half though first game nerves may be attributed to that. Was offside four times and the two touches he made in the first half were heavy and immediately intercepted. Improved slightly in the second half and made a couple of mazy runs, one of which resulted in a corner. Struggled to get into to good positions to make the most of some wonderful crosses from Ferreira, Fitzgerald, Austin, Joshua Rose, and Roux. Poor penalty but hopefully moves on and improves for the upcoming season.

-Left Wing/Left Back: Joshua Rose:
Had a brilliant game and looked right at home on the wing. Combined well with Montgomery and ran all day. Also put in some great crosses. When moved to left back he defensively assured the position and still offered a lot going forward.

-Left Wing: Mitch Austin:
Great running outlined Austin's game today. Put in two lovely crosses and did everything (bar scoring a goal) a sub needs to do. Looked a class act with every touch. Can't wait to see more.

pjennings

A lot of passes went astray. We looked like we hadn't played together which to be truthful that team basically played once against Newcastle.

I liked the look of Ascroft but McGing worried me as an ex keeper and I think worried Izzo as well. Rose and Austin both impressed down the left. I don't like Fitzgerald in the middle. He dwells on the ball because it is not his natural game.

JoyfulPenguin

A lot of passes went astray. We looked like we hadn't played together which to be truthful that team basically played once against Newcastle.

I liked the look of Ascroft but McGing worried me as an ex keeper and I think worried Izzo as well. Rose and Austin both impressed down the left. I don't like Fitzgerald in the middle. He dwells on the ball because it is not his natural game.
I thought McGing looked the most composed of the back four and the one with his head up the most. Agree with your comment on Fitzgerald though he is definitely better out wide.

style_cafe

A pretty lackluster game with no real highlights(unless you count the missed penalty).
I was hoping there would be some kind of program for the night so that the punters could at least know who the players were, but sadly someone forgot.
From that display, Walmsley hasn`t started working on our high press , attaking game as yet.
It was stock standard first game of the season stuff.

Izzo- looked out of his depth. The goal was just an awful error.
The back four were very disjointed in defence in the first half.
Ascroft looked good & has a tonne of speed. I think he`ll settle in well.
McGing was very shaky in the first half but settled in better as the game progressed.
Roux defended ok but never looked to get forward .Very one dimensional.
Neil needs more game time after a long layoff.
Monty was like every game I`ve seen him play, tough , strong & tenacious. His long diagonal balls forward need to be fine tuned.
Caceres floated in & out of the game with very little impact. If O`Donavan learns to trust Caceres we could be in for a few goals as Caceres did play some nice balls into space behind the defenders.
Rosey was able to get forward on a few occasions but lacked his ball control this early in the season.
Fitzy was very basic.
Ferreira looked tired. He got in a few crosses in the second half but was basically in effective.
O`Donavan too early yet to judge his quality. He tracked back well on occasions bust didn`t stand out as anything special in this game.
Austin was the standout as the player to watch. He`s very quick & can get the crosses in,however, he needs to work on the quality of the crosses which will come with more game time.

I realize it`s early days but if we are to play a high pressing, attacking game players like Ferriera, O`Donavan & Fitzy will need to be coached in "defending in the front third". Rarely did we pressure the ball in this area which made it easier for the Wellies to play out.

Unfortunately the strip we played in was difficult to see the numbers from a distance so it is hard to comment on some players.
As for the crowd, it was an amazing effort from the Coasties to have over 6,000 people to a late starting midweek game. However, it was a shame that without the band & PP & his Yellow Army the game did lack the atmosphere we have built in the last 2 seasons.

Last edited:

Wombat

It wasn't terrible and welly are a decent side. Compared to how we played in the preseason last year, it was miles better.

The back 4 looks like it will be really good in 5 or 6 games time. Ascroft, was very sloppy in the first 20 but once he switched on was good.
Roux was the best of the back four and saved Ascroft's arse with a great interception.

The midfield wasn't balanced and Monty was easily the best of the bunch. Rose did ok
but didn't impress me like some others here. I think Fitzy would be better on the left. Neil didn't do enough to pinch Rose LB position on that showing. Caceras was slow in action and thought and showed little penetration. He will need to show a lot more than that or we will struggle.
The Paddy wasn't gash but Heffernan looked sharper. I could see some quality but it was a 5.5/10 debut.

Still much to work on but not bad overall.

Wombat

My review of our players:

-Goalkeeper Paul Izzo:
Apart from his one horrendous mistake and a couple of miss hit clearances he was good. He had his mistake that "Keepers have to have" and should move forward from that.
SHOCKING MISTAKE. POOR WITH THE BALL AT FEET. ONE VERY GOOD SAVE.

-Right Back (Subbed out at 78'): Storm Roux:
Was very good, dominated his side of the field and repelled every right sided attack, one of our best. VERY GOOD.

-Right Centre Back: Harry Ascroft:
Did well if not looking forward enough, seems to have limited ball playing ability but makes up for it with great defensive awareness.
SLOPPY EARLY. ONCE ADJUSTED TO THE PACE OF THE GAME, LOOKED GOOD.

-Left Centre Back: Jake McGing:
Very impressive, was seemingly tasked with being the player to move the ball out of the back half and did so with aplomb if struggling in the early portion of the game. Made numerous marauding attacking runs with the ball and won three free kicks. Also won the penalty.
LOOKED ASSURED.

-Left Back (Subbed out at 61'): Michael Neill:
Pressured defenders well but failed to win the ball. Rarely overlapped and needs to improve that side of his game. DIDNT LIVE UP TO THE HYPE.

-Central Midfield: Nick Montgomery:
Played very well, was a stand out in the first half and for a majority of the second until the last ten minutes where he seemed to fade. Intercepted well and played plenty of killer balls. MOM.

-Right Central Midfield: Nicholas Fitzgerald:
Made some great runs though struggled with his touch and decision making at times. Played numerous wonderful crosses two of which should have been put away by Anthony Cáceres. Failed to get into good positions for crosses. GREAT AT TIMES. FRUSTRATING AT OTHERS.

-Right Central Midfield (Subbed in at 78'): Liam Rose:
Did well with limited game time. Put the cross in that resulted in a penalty and set up numerous attacks in the latter stages of the match, should start ahead of Cáceres if this performance bears any weight. DIDNT IMPRESS ME AND BUTCHERED OUR LAST ATTACK.

-Left Central Midfield: Anthony Cáceres:
Couldn't put a pass together today and missed two good heading chances. Made one good run with the ball at defenders and won a corner but struggled to set up play like he needed to. Left much wanting in his forward positioning. LIGHTWEIGHT. NEEDS TO DRIVE FORWARD WITH FAR MORE SELF BELIEF.

-Right Wing: Fábio Ferreira:
Played very poorly in the opening half and improved a fair bit in the second. Putting in two good crosses, needs to be quicker with his distribution but was an off day for a good player. MIXED BAG.

-Striker: Roy O'Donovan:
Was horrendous in the first half though first game nerves may be attributed to that. Was offside four times and the two touches he made in the first half were heavy and immediately intercepted. Improved slightly in the second half and made a couple of mazy runs, one of which resulted in a corner. Struggled to get into to good positions to make the most of some wonderful crosses from Ferreira, Fitzgerald, Austin, Joshua Rose, and Roux. Poor penalty but hopefully moves on and improves for the upcoming season. AVERAGE DEBUT BUT WORKED HARD AND SHOWED SOME POTENTIAL. LIKE ALL OF OUR SQUAD.....CANT TAKE A PENALTY.

-Left Wing/Left Back: Joshua Rose:
Had a brilliant game and looked right at home on the wing. Combined well with Montgomery and ran all day. Also put in some great crosses. When moved to left back he defensively assured the position and still offered a lot going forward.
WORKED HARD BUT PASSING A BIT SUSPECT. PREFER HIM AT LB.

-Left Wing: Mitch Austin:
Great running outlined Austin's game today. Put in two lovely crosses and did everything (bar scoring a goal) a sub needs to do. Looked a class act with every touch. Can't wait to see more.
TOUCH LET HIM DOWN A FEW TIMES BUT PACEY AND EXCITING.

MagpieMariner

Plenty of CCM fans in the CCLC having a drink+dinner. Will be fantastic to see 6k.+ crowding into the "half" stadium they have allocated. Full house perhaps?:)
Sure was, they had to move the fence from beside Bay 16 further along 2 bays. Even the away supporters area looked to be packed. Great Tuesday night crowd.

Wombat

I'd like to see

reddy
Roux mcging ascroft rose (neil)
Fab. Monty. Caceras. Austin (Fitzy)
Heffernan O'Donovan

Current set up allowed Caceras and Fitzy to be passengers at times.

MagpieMariner

Considering that was pretty close to WP's regular squad and our mob are a lot of new guys still learning to play together, I thought we did well. Let's face it, the goal was almost an own goal, certainly no credit to Phoenix except for the scorer being on the spot.
I think we must not look for Irish all the time, during the second half he seemed to have two and sometimes three defenders in his back pocket. The other attackers, especially Caceras & Fab, need to lift their game to pull defenders away so he has a bit more space.
I was very impressed with Austin when he came on, I think when he & Irish start to click together we could see some special things.

Gratis

I was pretty happy with what I saw.

just a couple of weeks into preseason with most of the team not too familiar with each other and we did fairly well dominate a quality WP side at near full strength. most of the game was played in their half.

Walmsley said this week that they had only worked on conditioning so far and this game was to be the start on tactics. essentially it's an extremely foetal time for this team but you can see the beast that is being born and I do believe there's plenty to be positive about

Gratis

also the ref was atrocious as was at least one linesman

the crowd was awesome it was so pleasing to see. very proud of the numbers that showed up

VicMariner

Decent crowd. :cheers:

Didn't see any of the game except for the missed penalty. :mad: What is it with us and penalties?

Disappointing.

Forum Phoenix

Yep. Us and pens...

Some good reviews above. Nothing to add. There is work to be done, but some promise. Great crowd etc.

Also a quick shout out to the new head of the memberships who I met tonight. Really nice guy, very professional. Bodes well after last years fiasco.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred