• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners squad HAL 10 ~ 2014/15

Atomic

That certainly would not be an unwelcome approach to recovering some of the club spirit, going with Matty and Hutch while also obtaining a good, stable CB :)
While we're dreaming - If that did happen, would he regain the Captaincy? Or would it still go to Monty?
Monty. He's done his time, and earnt the arm band. Wilko is a great leader, but I'm sure he'd be down to earth enough to accept the decision (in the unlikely event that it would happen in the first place).

pjennings

As much as tonight was another improving performance the cattle is just not at the same level as many of the front-runners.

TBH - out of our squad going forward next season only Rose, Monty, Caceres and Ferriera would get into most starting XIs. The recruiting really needs to be well targeted over the break. We have really lost so much quality - mostly from the first XI. It is only when we have 2 people that can fit in easily to the first XI that we will be truly competitive. This is who I would like to see as our second XI.

-----------------------Reddy
Roux------Poscoliero--------Anderson----Neill
-------------------------Kalik
---------------Vernes-----------Trifiro-----------
Cernak---------------Bingham------------Fitzgerald

scottmac

Suspended
I think Cernak is doing enough to warrant a first team spot going forward at the moment. He has really surprised & deserves his shot in our new team next year

nebakke

I think Cernak is doing enough to warrant a first team spot going forward at the moment. He has really surprised & deserves his shot in our new team next year

Much as I know he's been tried by just about every team in the league, I'd have to say that I would think most of them would be paying attention to his contract position now. For mine, he's been quite the revelation and would have been, even if the team as a whole had played better.

scottmac

Suspended
Much as I know he's been tried by just about every team in the league, I'd have to say that I would think most of them would be paying attention to his contract position now. For mine, he's been quite the revelation and would have been, even if the team as a whole had played better.

I don't think he would have got the chance he has, had the team played better as a whole. He certainly wasn't the first choice for the first half of the year.

pjennings

I agree that Cernak has surprised and should be re-signed. However, my point is more that he (and many of our first team players) wouldn't be in other teams first XI. Take Cernak and Victory as an example. As a wide man how do you rate him Cernak beside Fahid Ben Khalfallah, Archie Thompson and Kosta Barbarouses.

scottmac

Suspended
I agree that Cernak has surprised and should be re-signed. However, my point is more that he (and many of our first team players) wouldn't be in other teams first XI. Take Cernak and Victory as an example. As a wide man how do you rate him Cernak beside Fahid Ben Khalfallah, Archie Thompson and Kosta Barbarouses.

We are not victory though so your point is moot. Obviously I'd love to have those guys but we will never be that team that has that amount of talent in similar positions.
The only other club you could compare it to at the moment is the jets & I reckon he would make that team on his current form.
We will be the club that has 1 or 2 maybe 3 max, of players with a high calibre. The rest will be filled with players like Cernak & hopefully we get the best out of them. As has happened with Cernak currently.
To have a second 11 of the type you have stated would require us to bring in around 7 or 8 high calibre players. It will never happen.
What will happen is we will fill positions with similar talented players that force the one's you've listed to compete for a first team spot & thus hopefully improving themselves, the guys they're competing for a spot with & the team as a whole.

scottmac

Suspended
Besides for anyone to suggest Reddy should be second string next year after the year he's had, well that's crazy talk. He'll be the incumbent & we won't waste money on another first team keeper while he performs the way he has been

pjennings

We are not victory though so your point is moot. Obviously I'd love to have those guys but we will never be that team that has that amount of talent in similar positions.
The only other club you could compare it to at the moment is the jets & I reckon he would make that team on his current form.
We will be the club that has 1 or 2 maybe 3 max, of players with a high calibre. The rest will be filled with players like Cernak & hopefully we get the best out of them. As has happened with Cernak currently.
To have a second 11 of the type you have stated would require us to bring in around 7 or 8 high calibre players. It will never happen.
What will happen is we will fill positions with similar talented players that force the one's you've listed to compete for a first team spot & thus hopefully improving themselves, the guys they're competing for a spot with & the team as a whole.

Yes that's true that I want to bring in a lot of new talent - let's face it we lost a heap of talent that has not been replaced. I said a few pages ago if we are to survive and prosper I think the at least 6 of the remaining 8 positions all have to be quality signings. Poscoliero needs a CB partner and 2 decent squad covers. We need another RB to push or surpass Storm, a LW to push or surpass Fitzy , a number 10 to push or surpass Caceres and 2 more strikers.

But compare the 2013 second XI

Pasfield,

Morton, Anderson, Griffiths, McDonald

Caceres, Pelles

Fitzgerald, ,Ibini, Kwas

Duke

to my proposed 2nd XI

-----------------------Reddy
Roux------Poscoliero--------Anderson----Neill
-------------------------Kalik
---------------Vernes-----------Trifiro-----------
Cernak---------------Bingham------------Fitzgerald

Looks about the same level to me.

Last edited:

pjennings

Besides for anyone to suggest Reddy should be second string next year after the year he's had, well that's crazy talk. He'll be the incumbent & we won't waste money on another first team keeper while he performs the way he has been

As I said a few pages ago Reddy has done a decent job for us but he is not in the same class as Danny or Maty and having Nash as the second string puts little pressure on him. As a shot stopper he is very good but his distribution is poor to average. That puts pressure on the defence and causes us to defend too deep too often. If he stays as first choice I want him to be pushed by someone that offers the complete package.

Roy Law

As I said a few pages ago Reddy has done a decent job for us but he is not in the same class as Danny or Maty and having Nash as the second string puts little pressure on him. As a shot stopper he is very good but his distribution is poor to average. That puts pressure on the defence and causes us to defend too deep too often. If he stays as first choice I want him to be pushed by someone that offers the complete package.
Reddy will be number one for sometime yet, there simply isn't justification to spend big on another keeper to challenge him. A Ryan comes along once in a generation. As for his distribution, looking at the way the defence played the ball back to him yesterday I think he did very well; some of the passes to him were suicidal.

Wombat

I think he is a better keeper than Danny.

nebakke

I don't think he would have got the chance he has, had the team played better as a whole. He certainly wasn't the first choice for the first half of the year.

No, that's a fair point - it wasn't really what I was trying to say. What I was trying to say was that his playing well, isn't entirely a function of the rest of the team playing poorly. He is playing well even by the standards of a team that is playing better.

In comparison to Victory... To be honest, it's been a long time since I rated Archie - he's a nice bloke etc. etc. But to me he's not much more than their Matt Simon these days - except Matty gets caught offside less than Archie does.
He's a decent player - and that's not bad for a bloke who's played for as long as he has. But I think Cernak would outperform him if he played as he has been lately.

nebakke

I think he is a better keeper than Danny.

I totally agree that his distribution leaves a LOT to be desired, but as they keep pointing out on the TV coverage - he has more saves this season than anyone else.
I often think though, that his distribution would be better if our defenders didn't insist on playing the ball back to him, with two forwards just waiting to pounce.
Case-in-point, last night, at least twice that I can remember, was the ball passed back to him, with a forward actually between the defender and the goalie... One of the times, I'm not sure htf Berisha didn't score... Reddy kicked the ball out, largely because he had no other choice...
So in my mind, a lot of the issue here ends up coming back to that same-old problem of noone moving for each other :(

pjennings

I totally agree that his distribution leaves a LOT to be desired, but as they keep pointing out on the TV coverage - he has more saves this season than anyone else.
I often think though, that his distribution would be better if our defenders didn't insist on playing the ball back to him, with two forwards just waiting to pounce.
Case-in-point, last night, at least twice that I can remember, was the ball passed back to him, with a forward actually between the defender and the goalie... One of the times, I'm not sure htf Berisha didn't score... Reddy kicked the ball out, largely because he had no other choice...
So in my mind, a lot of the issue here ends up coming back to that same-old problem of noone moving for each other :(

The other side to that is if his distribution was better the defence wouldn't be under that pressure to start with and need to pass back to him as often.

Maty, when he was here, did not make a high number of saves. We avoided that by his sweeping and good distribution which meant we were not in our own third for long periods of time. This is the argument that Victory supporters have had against Maty for so long. they all thought that Langerak was a better shot-stopper than Maty (quite possibly true). However, he is nowhere near the keeper that Maty is, because when Maty is keeper he doesn't have to make as many saves.

I know we are not going to get another Maty. Maty would use the CBs, the FBs who would play higher because of his better distribution and also Olly and Wee-Mac. Even his long balls to Mile or Danny were usual straight too them.

Liam's distribution is usually to Zac or Eddy, neither of who are comfortable ball players. All I'm after is a more complete keeper, that will automatically strengthen our defence and help to provide the base from which to attack

scottmac

Suspended
Maty, when he was here, did not make a high number of saves. We avoided that by his sweeping and good distribution which meant we were not in our own third for long periods of time. This is the argument that Victory supporters have had against Maty for so long. they all thought that Langerak was a better shot-stopper than Maty (quite possibly true). However, he is nowhere near the keeper that Maty is, because when Maty is keeper he doesn't have to make as many saves.

That's simply not completely true.

Matty didn't have much to do because of the team in front of him as well as his skills you've mentioned. I'm sure if you looked at the number of saves he is making now, it would be up there. Probably not as many as other keepers in the league but more per game than he had to make here.

As for the second 11 comparison you've done, our first 11 wasn't of a particular better quality other than 3 or so players at that time which makes the point that if you expect to see 8 new players in the team as starters then they will be of the same quality as what we have now in our first 11. Now do you think we will go out & replace 8 players that currently start? Your kidding yourself. At most, we will have 2 or 3 players that come in that will demand a starting position. & I guarantee you one of them will not be a keeper.

Last edited:

pjennings

That's simply not completely true.

Matty didn't have much to do because of the team in front of him as well as his skills you've mentioned. I'm sure if you looked at the number of saves he is making now, it would be up there. Probably not as many as other keepers in the league but more per game than he had to make here.

As for the second 11 comparison you've done, our first 11 wasn't of a particular better quality other than 3 or so players at that time which makes the point that if you expect to see 8 new players in the team as starters then they will be of the same quality as what we have now in our first 11. Now do you think we will go out & replace 8 players that currently start? Your kidding yourself. At most, we will have 2 or 3 players that come in that will demand a starting position. & I guarantee you one of them will not be a keeper.

That team had Ryan, Rose, Patty, Trent, Monty, Hutch, McBreen, Mile, McGlinchey and Olly. That's 10 players. Take out Rose and Monty that will be here next year and you have 8. Which of our current players other than, Rose, Fabio, Monty and Caceres who I mentioned before which players would start in front of any of the 2013 players. (negating the passing of time of course)

Last edited:

scottmac

Suspended
That team had Ryan, Rose, Patty, Trent, Monty, Hutch, McBreen, Mile, McGlinchey and Olly. That's 10 players. Take out Rose and Monty that will be here next year and you have 8. Which of our current players other than, Rose, Fabio, Monty and Caceres who I mentioned before which players would start in front of any of the 2013 players. (negating the passing of time of course)
I'm not saying they would, we are a different team now. But more to the point, how many of those players when signed (taking out rose, Hutch & Monty) warranted a first team place? Only 3. Ryan, Trent, McGlinchey & Olly were all players who didn't warrant first team places over those that were already here (in the eyes of the manager) when signed. They earnt their place or were handed it due to necessity. This is what we will do. Look for those types of players who have the capacity to become more valuable to the team over the course of their stay here & hopefully end up doing what 3 of those 4 have done.

Your suggesting we sign 8 first team players. It's not going to happen.

style_cafe

It really makes me wonder.
I emailed the office on Wednesday as I have contact with a player that is interested in playing here.

He`s a CB/LB with vast experience, extremely fit, getting towards the end of his career.
This player did his apprenticeship with Leeds UTD & has also played in Denmark for 3 years.
An u/17 & u/23 Australian player that was called up to the National side in 2011 (did not play).

As yet not a word from the office.
I wasn`t expecting them to fall to my feet in gratitude but a response to my email asking if they were interested in getting in contact would have been appropriate.

Maybe I just have to sit in the queue behind Midfielder......:doh::doh:

pjennings

My first question would be would you prefer him to Zac , Brent or Eddy. I have not seen him play for a few years but I would say yes, yes and maybe. He is also two years younger than Eddy.

If we could get Galloway on loan from Everton and have Brendan. Jacob and the guy you are referring to fighting for the 2 CB positions with Zac at 4th choice then we would look a hell of a lot stronger in defence than we currently do.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred