• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Womens A-League funding!

Sean

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23694738-5012911,00.html

[size=18pt]Women's sport gets kick along[/size]

A TELEVISED national women's soccer league is at the heart of the Government's sports funding package.

The Football Federation of Australia will receive $16 million over two years to fund the new league and promote the game.

The Government will also contribute $16 million over four years to assist the FFA's participation in the Asian Football Confederation and other international events.

Cricket has also scored big in this year's Budget, with $17.5 million set aside to redevelop the Cricket Centre for Excellence in Brisbane.

Sport's fight against illicit drug use will receive a boost, with the Government announcing a $20.1 million code of conduct for national sporting organisations.

The code includes drug testing and education programs for non-professional sports people.

The Minister for Sport, Kate Ellis, said an investment in sport was an investment in the health and wellbeing of the nation.

The Government will also provide $2.5 million over five years to help an AFL Northern Territory team enter a state-based league.

Australia's Paralympic team will benefit from $22.8 million in funding over five years.

Kareem

televised...as in to watch. Doesnt say whether free to air or not but you would have to assume FTA??? Unless Foxtel gets it on the cheaps. That will just make me even more angry HAL isnt on FTA!

Bex

Interesting train of thought for the Government. I wouldn't have thought there would be many votes in it so its a surprise. Teriffic news for football and for women's sport.

Atomic

Bex said:
Interesting train of thought for the Government. I wouldn't have thought there would be many votes in it so its a surprise. Teriffic news for football and for women's sport.

Maybe it's a very smart political move. Half the people in Australia are women, so to have a government that is seen to be proactive on womens' issues, eg sport, is a real point of differentiation from the Libs. Also, I think the Govt are aware of the business opportunities that exist (esp in Asia) through football. Sponsorship, exposure, tourism... the list goes on. There is no other womens' sport that comes within a bull's roar of what football can offer the Govt.

Atomic

Kareem said:
televised...as in to watch. Doesnt say whether free to air or not but you would have to assume FTA??? Unless Foxtel gets it on the cheaps. That will just make me even more angry HAL isnt on FTA!

I think SBS would be desparate to secure this one. At least it will give them some actual televised playing content (and yes... that is "televised"... as in to watch ;))

finally retired

centralcoastyouth said:
bad idea
should spend it on the male game imo
Having a women's league can only be good......it will bring more players into the game and generate more interest for football, and the women's standard will improve with more (and stronger) competition....that's the same gripe we have about the A-league...we need more teams and we need more games.  I'm all for it....anything that entices people to get behind the best game in the world has to be good.  The more females who play will mean an increase in male juniors in future years as mum's are more likely to influence their children to play a sport they understand and follow. And that is the reason the women's league needs to be pushed for all it's worth and any government funding is fantastic. 

midfielder

The Sydney Morning Herald are reporting Women's basketball is to be given the bounce from FTA live games on Saturday afternoons. And the suggestion is Women's live football will fill the spot! Maybe see some of the nice girls of the central coast on TV........That would be super nice!

http://www.smh.com.au/news/basketball/abc-plans-to-give-wnbl-the-bounce/2008/07/03/1214950952192.html

ABC plans to give WNBL the bounce

THE ABC has slam-dunked its live coverage of the Women's National Basketball League for the coming season and plans to replace the prime 4pm Saturday afternoon highlights with a sport more politically in favour - women's football. :thumbup:

............ more on the link if you wish to read.

serious14

CCY - seriously mate, Shut. The. F*ck. Up.  Do you EVER have anything of value to contribute to this place??

FFC Mariner

I feel a soccersensei post coming on anytime soon telling everyone to be more PC.

Look, I am not a huuuuuuge fan of womens football but any money that comes into the game and any coverage we can get removes air time from those sports that we compete with

dibo

serious14 said:
CCY - seriously mate, Shut. The. F*ck. Up.   Do you EVER have anything of value to contribute to this place??

did you read the datestamp on the post?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred