• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

windows 8 my failure of the decade

true believer

well I brought a pc with windows 8 . lets just say it's shit.
if you want to play those old games you loved . forget about it on the windows 8
shit box .
with xp about to run out of support . forget windows 8 .it's SHIT with a capital S.
failure to support your 16 bit applications will end Microsoft.

dibo

How many people do you reckon are still playing Prince of Persia and the like?

How many more people are using Win8 machines as workhorses to y'know, earn money for their businesses and shit like that?

Certainly ain't gonna hurt MS.

I've been using Win8 since the preview releases and really like it - stable, lightweight, simple to use. All up, a good OS, and the best Windows in a long time. 7 was an improvement on the Vista disaster, 8 is better again.

Paired up with Office365, it's a great combo. Just leave the steaming heap of shit that is Internet Explorer under the rock it crawled out from and the world is happy. And no, I don't work for MS, or anyone in the industry, I just appreciate an OS and office suite that make my life easier.

If you still want to play AOE2, get DOSbox or whatever other emulator you please. Google is your friend.

true believer

the reality is that large corporations.like I work for still run xp on everything.
most people like it. some of us run things other than excel,word and myob.
the fact is without 16 bit capability you can't talk to the industrial computers that run
everything from dairys for your morning phrapachno to the power station that's got your
laptop working. nobody is gunna gut their entire hardware infrustructer because.
some pencil dick at Microsoft figured it would be a great way to sell more copies of word.
dosbox ! what you still playing frogger?
Microsoft need a reasonable xp emulater or can kiss it's arse goodbye.

dibo

Businesses still using software made for a 12 year old operating system (that hadn't had a new service pack in 5 years!) are asking for trouble.

Microsoft don't owe you anything. Products have a life cycle - XP is now twice superseded. Should Microsoft still be providing support for Windows 3.1?

I struggle to see how this will hurt them either; a company that hasn't upgraded from XP isn't going to suddenly hop ecosystems to Mac or something, and even if they do they'll still buy MS Office.

FFC Mariner

No, no they dont all use XP , some even use office 2010 too

Use 7 at home and its stable and works fine.

Is there really anyone under the age of 70 still using IE? Hasnt the world turned Chrome?

true believer

Is there really anyone under the age of 70 still using IE? Hasnt the world turned Chrome?

actually a lot of people don't use chrome. because like apple .you have no control over it

true believer

Businesses still using software made for a 12 year old operating system (that hadn't had a new service pack in 5 years!) are asking for trouble.
yes because using a stable system everyone understands is a bad thing, right . you also do understand Microsoft does up date.

Microsoft don't owe you anything. Products have a life cycle - XP is now twice superseded. Should Microsoft still be providing support for Windows 3.1?

microsoft understand brand loyalty as do apple and google. most 3rd party software is written for an xp platform. Microsoft can dismiss these people
at their peril. windows still provide a dos prompt as well . it has provided xp compatablity mode ,that simply doesn't work.

dibo

Is Microsoft going to stop you from using XP?

No, they're just saying use it at your own risk.

When Microsoft come into your office with guns and confiscate your computers, then call me out to the barricades. In the meantime, get over it.

And get your third party software provider to catch up to at least Windows 7 (so their software is only using a 4 year old rather than 12 year old platform).

f**k, do you get annoyed that new games aren't coming out for the Sega Mega Drive too?

true believer

I really believe you have no idea whats out there other than office and myob.
you probably aren't exposed to anything other than similar businesses.
In the real world I need to talk to 3 kinds of industrial computers.
two kinds of "scada" systems ,supervisory control . 5 communication protacols etc.
frankly your kind think they are wholly superior people if they can cut and paste
a power point presentation.

my propose in buying a windows 8 laptop is because my xp laptop is to old and slow .
also to adapt myself the new format. before the company changes from xp.
I'll circulate an email about Microsoft support stoping in spring today and see what kind of
panic I can indeer from the IT department.

don't you love panic in middle management.
over to you . i'll go and read some more dilbert comics

dibo

Your XP-dependent stuff will still work, MS just won't be providing support. If it's offline in a discrete system (no chance to import security risks from off-site) then who cares? The ISS runs on 20 year old computers, but it's a discrete system. If it's so vital to your systems that it have ongoing support, pay for it.

Nobody gets to walk up to Ford and complain that they aren't still providing logbook services for XY GTs. If they want them maintained, they get them sorted privately.

true believer

if you've got an XY GT i'll swap you our commodore with log books.
we have dedicated computers and laptops for our site with no internet access (it's good to see your up to speed on that)
appollo 11 had 43khz processor and 64 k of ram . I've an xt with a 4.77mhz cpu that's has 29,000 transitors .
the hardest thing about running the space station would be dealing with the minus a zillion degrees below zero tempratures
all the rest is I/o .it's not rocket science .it's just programing .
the moral of the story. microsoft should write a 16 bit code fix in it's next active x update

dibo

If there's little/no demand, they won't bother.

Apparently the 32 bit version allows 16 bit apps, FWIW, but you lose out on other fronts.

true believer

umm me thinks vista 2 (win 8) shouldn't have long to wait

So my client is all pleased with herself as she's purchased a brand-new laptop with all the features she had to have and it was cheap. Plus, as an added bonus, it has the latest Operating System, Windows 8.

News Flash: It's a piece of shit.

Like any flash-in-the-pan corporate culture, Microsoft is in it's "decay" phase, and psychedelic mushroom fantasies have replaced whatever software engineering common sense that used to exist. They're inventing new and exciting ways to relive their best hallucinogenic journeys by changing the Laws of the Known Universe on their Operating System at random times, for reasons understood only by a large, 750 lb. yellow frog named "Gormanzle".

Buttons that used to do something are sometimes there, and sometimes not. Things that used to be windows can suddenly become simple colored boxes that have no way to close, terminate, end or back-up. These concepts "sort of" exist in the beginning of your Windows 8 acid-trip, but don't count on them once you've fallen too far into the sewer. Escape is not an option. Microsoft has you in orange plastic underwear and matching ball-gag, and strapped to a purple girder that looks like it used to be a dandelion, and before they give you the melted white and chrome-striped anal probe, they want to show you a facebook app that, while it has a facebook logo, it's not really related to facebook in any way. It's a button-clicking tester, designed to test your ability to click buttons and psychically "feel" the intuitive vibrations of the Psi Nebulonic cluster, that place one ascends to once they've become one with their consciousness and transmogrified displacement systems.

The journey is compulsory: there is no way out as there is no "out" in this universe, nor is one really ever "in". There is no "up", nor "down" either, rather it is all one long, laterally and infinitely flowing journey, possibly toward a "somewhere" that may or may not exist. It all depends upon your stasis point, and the endocrine levels of bichloroformic testicularides being aligned with the super-heterodynal outflow of the transflux capacitor. "When" has become "how", and we can do this in our rainbow-hued and all-inclusive spirit of godless oneness.

It's just a matter of time.

I've never done any kind of hallucinogen before, and now I understand why. People that I have known have warned me that the "trip" of psychedelic drugs can last well past the point where the drugs have worn off. Sometimes it can last for the rest of one's life. I certainly hope that is not the case with me, however sometimes from the corner of my eye I can catch my loyal and steadfast Windows 7 desktop slightly "droop" to one side and the colors will shift ever so slightly. Maybe that's just the monitor; I can't say for certain. However, I can say that I will never do that drug again. I also recommend that others stay away from it, as long-term use of Windows 8 may have a tendency to cause people to accept all manner of insane and irrational notions, too numerous to detail in this post.

http://www.blackhatworld.com/blackh...8604-windows-8-piece-shit-heres-solution.html

As a cruel trick on myself, about a month ago I installed Windows 8 on my main PC to see what it was like. The answer is: abysmal. I don’t think it’s an exaggeration to say that Windows 8 is the worst computing experience I’ve ever had. As a desktop operating system, it’s annoying, frustrating, irritating, and baffling to use. I’ve tried on many occasions to explain exactly why it’s so awful to use day-to-day, and most of the time, smoke starts pouring out of my ears. I thought it would be better to get down exactly what the issues are and why you should avoid it.
What it comes down to is this: Windows 8 is a tax on your brain. That dealing with it, day in, day out adds to your world being slightly worse in a dozen different but slightly irritating ways.
This isn’t an exhaustive list, but it is an exhausting list of reasons why I’ll never touch Windows 8 again. I'm not alone: game developers worldwide have declared Windows 8 a catastrophe.
Windows 8 is really meant for tablets
Windows 8 brings a new kind of computing design to the desktop. Once called Metro (until Microsoft realised that Metro is also the name of a German supermarket), it’s a design motif that’s meant to be appropriate across tablets, mobile phones, the desktop, and eventually, televisions. To be fair to Microsoft, Metro is a decent way of poking at your computer with a finger. But when you have the flexibility and precision of a mouse, it makes no sense. In Metro Most of your screen is taken up with white space. Text is bigger, the buttons are bigger, the borders are bigger. There’s less information, more wastage. It’s a complete mess.
The treatment of the desktop as an app is an out and out disaster
The Metro interface is Windows 8. The desktop that you’re used to is also there, but it’s built as a separate app. Think of it this way: Metro is the shell. The desktop is an app within that shell. If you want to start Steam, you’ll want to launch the Desktop app, and then launch Steam.
This is insanity. This is Windows 8.
Window management is a pain in the arse
Metro apps don’t have any window controls. If you want to swap between apps, you have to make a convoluted mouse gesture - move the mouse to the top left of the screen, and then down to select the window. You can’t minimise the app, and there’s no on-screen preview of what’s running to help you quickly switch between programs.
You can pick up windows and shunt them, say, to a second screen, which initially feels relatively useful. But I’ve discovered more than anything that you spend more time fiddling with their arrangement than actually doing anything useful with them.

Switching between Metro apps is a complete farce

I can’t get over how Microsoft have managed to break one of the basic functions of a GUI - swapping between running programs. Metro programs have no window controls and take up the entire screen. Therefore, there’s no easy way to switch between them using on-screen controls. You have to engage in unfamiliar mouse movements to swap between them.
Core apps that offer basic OS functionality are Metro only. And they’re awful
There are certain things that you do with your PC every day that should form the basis of the operating system. Email. Instant Message. Calendars. Media Playing. All of these functions in Windows 8 are carried out through Metro apps, and they are universally awful. There are no desktop apps included that do a similar job.

http://www.pcgamesn.com/why-i-m-uninstalling-windows-8

the moral here get windows 7 and wait till windows 9 is released

dibo

Confirmation bias much?

I searched for windows 8 reviews and the first one I get is very positive: http://www.techradar.com/au/reviews/pc-mac/software/operating-systems/windows-8-1093002/review

I'll quote for you the final verdict:
Final verdict
This is the fastest, most secure, most battery friendly version of Windows 8.
It's also a bold move to head off the danger of Windows becoming irrelevant in an iPad future, by giving you the best of both worlds. You can have a slim, lightweight, cheap tablet with a tablet OS, that can also run Office and turn into a notebook when you add a keyboard. (We have to see the final version of Windows RT to see how well this works, but so far we're impressed.) Or you can have a slightly larger and pricier tablet with a tablet OS, that can also run Office and all your applications and turn into a notebook when you add a keyboard. Or you can get all of that in a notebook or a desktop, as long as you can deal with the touch-friendly interface.
Undeniably, Windows 8 shines most on a touchscreen system. Even older touch notebooks that were awkward to use with touch under Windows 7 give you a great experience and the latest tablets are fun and engaging to use (and features like rotation work immediately without you having to hunt down drivers). The mouse gestures mean that you can use Windows 8 without missing a touchscreen, but we really need edge gestures on trackpads and the Microsoft Touch Mouse to make it more natural.
But touchscreen or mouse, Windows 8, undeniably, shines. The final desktop look makes the transition between Metro and desktop less obvious. You can still stay substantially in the desktop if you want to and enjoy a faster, more secure version of Windows with a better browser that has longer battery life. But as more useful 'modern' apps come along, you'll find you split your time between the two experiences more and gestures could be critical to making that a natural combination. Keep an open mind, spend some time getting used to the charm bar and the Start screen and we defy you not to be impressed by Windows 8.

And then we got to the verdict of the second review: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/windows/3284198/microsoft-windows-8-review/#ixzz2XHEGW43O

Overall:
stars-9.png
Combining the interface, performance, security and new features, Windows 8 leaves us impressed. For just £25, it's a no-brainer upgrade from Windows XP or Vista, and even for Windows 7 users, it's a worthwhile purchase.

I didn't search for "windows 8 fanboi reviews" or anything like that, I just searched for windows 8 reviews.

I'll quote the conclusion from the site I have bookmarked and tend to go to first, too:

Conclusions
After spending the better part of a year with various forms of in-development Windows 8, we're giving it a strong recommendation in no small part because of its value. If you're running a Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7 computer, upgrading will cost you $40. That's worth it alone for the security and speed enhancements, not to mention the better driver and utility support. That price point is almost $100 cheaper than upgrading from XP or Vista to Windows 7 was.
Windows 8 has more going for it, of course. It's the first serious attempt to unify computing across disparate devices and accounts in a way that looks and feels cohesive. It's stunningly fast, it presents apps in a new way that avoids the repetitiveness of Android and iOS, and it feels connected to your life and the Internet.
One big question remains: does the learning curve make it worth strongly considering other operating systems? We think not. The aggressive learning incline does not negate the vast similarities between Windows 7 and Windows 8. We think that it's worth seriously considering the upgrade, especially from older systems, but it's not yet the one operating system (to rule them all) that Microsoft wants it to be.
They take a little swing at it (and basically said if you're on 7 there's no hurry), but not before saying they give it a strong recommendation for the security and speed enhancements, with the only issue being the learning curve.

Microsoft have undertaken a review of their own it seems, and issued an update to make it Windows 8.1, tweaking a few things under the bonnet, but by and large it's solid and well received straight out of the box.

I hated the bloated and annoying Vista, and completely understand why it was shunned in favour of XP, but both 7 and 8 have been rock-solid and smart OSes. I still do most things from the desktop, but the presence of Metro doesn't bother me in the slightest, I actually find it more useful than the start bar because whenever I'm looking for something I just hit the windows key and start typing. Bam.

If I want to get to the desktop, I do as I always did and hit windows+D and I'm there, but practically speaking I'm on the desktop all the time so it doesn't bother me.

Just because Metro's there doesn't mean you have to use it, and given that it replaces the unloved (by me at least) start menu, I simply don't see the problem.

You don't have to love it just because I think it's an improvement on what's gone before, but watching you go hunting online for people that agree with you is pretty funny.

true believer

in other words. windows have the money to saturate any word search with pro win 8 comments.
this is common for any "holy cow" . try finding any negative comments on "lean"
management .yet it has a 98% failure rate.
vista 2 .no thanks

dibo

So they bought CNet, TechRadar and PCAdvisor? But I suppose all the money in the world can't buy some random on the BlackHatWorld forum, so he must be right.

What's your source on a 98% failure rate? That's a very specific figure, where's it from?

true believer

So they bought CNet, TechRadar and PCAdvisor? But I suppose all the money in the world can't buy some random on the BlackHatWorld forum, so he must be right.

a real Microsoftopile answer . yet vista 2's problems aren't just going to go away.

What's your source on a 98% failure rate? That's a very specific figure, where's it from?

manufacturing monthly

http://softwareflow.wordpress.com/2010/11/25/debunked-leans-98-failure-rate/

http://trainingwithinindustry.blogspot.com.au/2009/06/lean-failure-rates.html

http://www.slideshare.net/AMEConnect/developing-a-lean-culture-by-gregg-miner-2175031

it's a rebadged epic fail .

dibo

Those links are very interesting I'm sure, but tell me nothing about Windows 8. Entirely my fault - I misunderstood what you were talking about before.

Beyond your assertions that Windows 8 is the new Vista and not liking no 16 bit mode, I've not seen anything from you that is a compelling reason to suddenly ignore my now extensive experience of *using* Windows 8 and consider it a dog of an OS.

true believer

it probably works for office and myob ,so your covered.
the power point boyz will be safe.
the rest of us in the real world . will stick with windows 7 or make a virtual xp machine

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

I got a new laptop with Win 8 a few weeks ago.
Metro...I kind of enjoy it, kind of don't. It's a bit of a novelty at the moment, and even though I don't have a touchscreen I don't mind having that sort of access to apps, but there should have been a better compromise with a computer on those. Run the tablet-style apps, but allow them to have multiple ones in the same window, or even easier access to switching. Perhaps they should have different metro 'themes' - the standard one is a crap interface for those without a touchscreen.
At least the desktop is there. Losing the start menu is a pain, but not tooooo bad. They've made it harder to open different folders at once which is stupid.
Can't really say if it's faster or more stable yet - on a new laptop the O/S is always that way, but it's supposed to be. Then again it's not as fast as I was hoping - but again, I don't have anything to compare that against.
Really liking the 'play to' feature for my WDTV live.
I don't play older games anymore so that isn't a problem for me.
Having to switch to desktop to open an app isn't a problem in the slightest - I always go straight to that anyway, and it loads more like an alternate view than an app (ie there's no loading time or anything).
I'm finding it to be a lot better and far less problematic than a lot of complaints indicate. I'd say I prefer Win7 still, but I don't entirely hate Metro (though I don't use it much, I do find it and its apps have some uses, even if I think it could be implemented a lot better for a non-touchscreen).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred