• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Why no coverage in the Central Coast Express Advocate?

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Today's CCEA - a full page on gridiron (hands up who knew we had a Central Coast team), a column on gymnastics, even a column on some touch footy umpired. The obligatory half page on surfing, half a page on union, and several pages on the local league competition (including half a page on summarising each match-up).

So, why on earth is there no CCF coverage? Is this something that CCF needs to be more active with, promoting the game to CCEA instead of hoping they'll volunteer to come to the table?

It's disappointing when the performance of a touch judge umpire or a young gymnast is considered more important than any grade of football.

Coverage has always been intermittent at best, but these days it seems nonexistent.

midfielder

Could not agree with you more...and its not like we don't have a few good things to talk about ... like the... 3 - nil over Blacktown,,, the Celtic match, Musty and his saga, Olly cap of the Olly roos .... The match against Yeman .... not to mention our boys in the U 20 squad...

style_cafe

Most local papers rely on the information being sent to them, rather than sending a reporter to the games.

From past experience they need the basic story before 9am on monday morning so that the reporters can make something up for printing & wednesday delivery.

To get regular reports for Premier League the Association should have a chat with the editor/sports writer & work out a system of getting the information to them.

The system I used to use was the home team would fax me a highlight report sheet by 7pm Sunday night.

eg. Smith Town 3 vs Jones Utd 1

2nd Min Fred from ST shot saved by keeper
4th min Davis from ST shot went wide
& so on..

The reporter would then write something like "Smith Towm were on the attack early early when Fred`s shot was brilliantly saved by the Jones Utd keeper" or some crap like that.

In the Mariner`s case they should check beforehand if a reporter will be covering the game if not see above.

I hope that helps...

Atomic

Isn't the Express Advocate owned by News Ltd? May I proffer the theory that they are more interested in seeing the North Sydney Bears base themselves in Gosford rather than devoting excessive page space to the Mariners?

Another question... is there a journo at the Express Advocate that understands football?

Wilsons

Steve Maher is the sports editor but the other journos are not Football fans. The Bears will never play out of the Coast.

offtheball

Alistair Kennedy has written an excellent summary of last week's round of premier league matches on the CCF web site (if you know where to look)Sending a copy straight to the Express would be a start.

Atomic

Alistair Kennedy has written an excellent summary of last week's round of premier league matches on the CCF web site (if you know where to look)Sending a copy straight to the Express would be a start.

This was my immediate thought. keeping in mind that I dont know what the current arrangements are, but I think the Mariners need to be more proactive in getting match reports published in the paper. The Mariners should liaise with the Express Advocate and find out what the paper would like. 300 words for match report for the Wednesday edition, and 250 words for a preview in the Friday edition for example. Someone at the Mariners should compose these pieces and email them to the paper. Easy!

This approach will give the many football fans on the Coast, who crave a bit of analysis etc in their newspaper articles, the type of content they need. The PR section of the Mariners can throw in the occassional "puff pieces" which could appeal to the casual supporter, then all bases would be covered imo.

Post game analysis on Wed - written by a football expert
Pre game analysis on Fri - written by football expert
Insider piece like the Moss Pit & the Captain's Corner
"Puff piece", e.g. Pedj's PT business, including shirtless photo of Pedj pumping some iron - to cater for the ladies.

Muppet

I think that it may be a combination of both arguments offered. Someone in CCM needs to get of their butt and write more pieces for the paper to publish. It is seems that the journos on the coast are RL fans and as such will be given greater space which is such a shame as CCM are the only professional outfit on the club. How about we all write a letter to the editor pointing this out? Also a bit of balance. RL is in full season at the moment and the A League does not start until October.

Wilsons

Alistairs report is sent to the paper sunday night! And in some instances is just a cut and paste job of what he says.

kevrenor

Not sure why some of you are bashing the Mariners over this ... it is Central Coast Football's issue and I don't know what they do to promote coverage either.

The acting Mariners media man is doing what he can and media releases come out regularly ... it is up to the CCEA to print or not.

adz

Staff member
Nobody is bashing the Mariners over anything, although any talk about CCM is off topic as the original question was about CCF. Could we get back on topic, please? :grouphug:

midfielder

Not sure why some of you are bashing the Mariners over this ... it is Central Coast Football's issue and I don't know what they do to promote coverage either.

The acting Mariners media man is doing what he can and media releases come out regularly ... it is up to the CCEA to print or not.

Kev

In your opinion is there any point to a number of people writing / emailing / phoning etc media outlets for better coverage or is it kinda of a set formula coming from Head Office...

kevrenor

In your opinion is there any point to a number of people writing / emailing / phoning etc media outlets for better coverage or is it kinda of a set formula coming from Head Office...

Er .. for CCFA I have no clue.

If you mean Mariners, then I don't quite get the OR in the middle.

Always helps if fans badger media outlets for more coverage.

No set formula that I can see for media releases - CCM media men have sort of built up a style and cycle.

luvsoccer

Have been around football on the coast long enough to know the CC Express is RL and Cricket orientated. Steve Maher does his best but company policy prevails over staff members.
Years ago we had a full Australian team playing at Pluim Park. This rated a 4 inch one column mention on the fifth back page of the CC Express. At the sme time RL got 5 pages. From what I have learnt in those days we were restricted to 200 word articles mid season and 400 if space permitted later in season. CCF may not be to blame in this instance.

Wombat

The editor of advocate plays for Avoca in 035 c. He looks like uncle fester. Kick him until the coverage improves!!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max Clark