• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Why Mariners fans should be right behind the CC Bears NRL bid?

LFCMariners

Because it will mean a better deal for the Mariners, and we will be treated better by the FFA. I'm just putting it out there that if the Bears had co-existed since day 1, the Mariners would have at least 1 Grand Final win to their name, and just maybe another Premiership? Not only that but it will boost our chances of getting an upper tier on the Northern Concourse as well.

dibo

Because it will mean a better deal for the Mariners, and we will be treated better by the FFA. I'm just putting it out there that if the Bears had co-existed since day 1, the Mariners would have at least 1 Grand Final win to their name, and just maybe another Premiership? Not only that but it will boost our chances of getting an upper tier on the Northern Concourse as well.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I'd like to see supporting statements to justify your claims.

I could just as easily state that the bears would mean a worse deal for the Mariners, and we will be treated worse by the FFA, the Mariners would be less likely to win a Grand Final or another Premiership.

Nobody would be able to judge from our claims who was more likely to be right.

midfielder

Treated better by FFA .... why

We would have won a grand final .... HHHHHHHHHHHMMMMMMM .... how got a leaguie to spear tackle some JETS or SFC players...

upper tier on the Northern Concourse .... totally lost on this one... what and why is the Northern Concourse important...

If you said someting like;- shared memberships, reduce cost of stadium hire, sell each others shirts, maybe use the RL link to get better media coverage, joint community enguagement, share medical staff to reduce running costs, use a combined buying power to reduce travel and accodomation costs, we could look at a joint venture and determine if these things may or maynot happen ... but your reasons seem a tad short on detail.....

Just as a matter of interest what more could FFA do for us....

Roy Law

If the Bears do end up on the Coast I will be happy to go watch them play but frankly I think it is unlikely their bid will get up.I certainly think the Mariners are better off without them as they won't be competing for sponsorship dollars.
I don't see how the presence of the Bears would have stopped Mrdja being injured for the first Grand Final nor do I see how they would have prevented Vidmar's mistake in our second final...

Atomic

Perhaps the Jets performance next season may shed some light on these claims. There are more synergies between the Jets and the Knights though, and a hellava lot more money then there would be between the two separate entities of the Mariners and Bears.

It will be interesting to see how many NRL supporting Novocastrians get behind the Red and Blue of the Jets, knowing that they are now part of the same family.

MrCelery

Atomic makes a good point.

To date, the sharing arrangement between the Knights and the Jets has been a disaster. I'm sure Tinkler's money and ownership of both will make a difference in some respects, but I can't see any more cross-over with extra fans than already happens unless Tinkler sells a joint season ticket for both seasons at a very low price.

Here is an example of what to expect from a pitch perspective:

Footballgrounds.jpg

I certainly have zero interest in any NRL enterprise, as I dislike the code with a passion. So call me very biased! However, I'm sure there are fans out there that would follow both codes. But equally, there will be fans that may be forced into choosing one code over the other for financial reasons, so the Mariners may actually lose fans.

Muppet

Hell will freeze over before I support the Bears. Here's my reasons why.

1. It is a reconstituted North Sydney Bears trying to regain admission to the NRL via a relocation to Bluetounge.
2. All the people involved in the CC Bears are all ex North Sydney people.
3. The Sydney region already has an overcrowded market in terms of NRL teams. They would be better placed having an additional team in Central QLD.
4. The Mariners will have to compete with the Bears for local sponsorship dollars, meaning falling revenue streams for the club.
5. It would probably mean a worse deal for the Mariners in terms of venue hire. Have a look at the issues which the Jets face in terms of the quality of the playing field at EAS in Newcastle. Is that necessarily better for the game to have a pitch like that?

Where there would be benefits is if the Bears and Mariners were all under the same banner ala Jets and Knights in Newcastle. Shared facilities, sponsorship and back office arrangements. The ability to offer membership for two codes in one package.

Happy to take criticism :soapbox:

dibo

On the pitch - there are terrific artificial/natural hybrids that bear up really well under heavy traffic. With Tinkler dollars I'd be a little surprised if that wasn't under investigation.

Deej

Agree with muppet, it's basically just North Sydney Bears moving north.....not that I follow NRL greatly but I think there's enough teams in the comp

LFCMariners

Treated better by FFA .... why

We would have won a grand final .... HHHHHHHHHHHMMMMMMM .... how got a leaguie to spear tackle some JETS or SFC players...

upper tier on the Northern Concourse .... totally lost on this one... what and why is the Northern Concourse important...

If you said someting like;- shared memberships, reduce cost of stadium hire, sell each others shirts, maybe use the RL link to get better media coverage, joint community enguagement, share medical staff to reduce running costs, use a combined buying power to reduce travel and accodomation costs, we could look at a joint venture and determine if these things may or maynot happen ... but your reasons seem a tad short on detail.....

Just as a matter of interest what more could FFA do for us....

The other reasons you listed are all quite valid ones, but I was thinking of my original statements along these lines:

1. Treated better by the FFA- some of the decisions against our club have been woeful. Who could forget Sydney's hack job that Breeze let go back in 2007, and went unquestioned by the FFA. That match derailed our finals hopes pretty much. Don't even start on our 'home' Grand Final in 2008- at the SFS! The FFA didn't expect the Mariners to do as well as they have. Like it or not, we were added because we had a bid team and nobody else was making any noise about taking the 8th license back in 2004. We were novelty value, a team from a small demographic with no NRL/ AFL/ Super Rugby team to compete for market share with. My next point explains this better:

2. We would have won a Grand Final- look at the timing of other teams' run to the Championship. In Season 1, Sydney were the glamour team with none other than Dwight Yorke playing in their midst. The FFA knew they could get great publicity in Australia's biggest city (and NRL heartland) with Sydney winning the GF first up. Now, I'm not saying the Mariners were dudded at all in this game, but you have to admit, the FFA wanted Sydney to win right from the outset. They wanted the "glamour club" to be the flavour of the month in the Harbour City.

The Victory had titles to their name soon too, sure they had great teams but the FFA knew Melbourne was a crucial market with it's large ethnic population and saturation AFL coverage. Nothing more to ad to them.

Then in the 2007-08 season, with the Knights coming off one of their worst ever seasons in the NRL amidst all the bad publicity about a player "exodus", what better time than to have the (Rugby League mad) towns' A-League team get up and win a Grand Final within the next 6 months? Just a coincidence? Do you think if the Scum had won the right to host the Grand Final the FFA would have made them move it to Sydney?

And most recently, we have the Roar. Again, the biggest team in Brisbane (NRL's Broncos) had just missed their first finals series since 1991, with internal strife that saw Ivan Henjack get the sack. The Broncos, for the first time in a long time, looked like a rabble. Then came the floods. Sure, nobody can deny the Roar played the greatest football seen since the A-League's inception, but do you really think the FFA wanted to deny the Roar a fairytale, knowing full well all the warm, fuzzy publicity and good-will it would generate?

If/ when the Bears are re-admitted, the FFA will be much kinder to us, because finally the Mariners have market competition in their own backyard. So far, the FFA has had nothing to gain from Mariners winning the League or the GF. Our league is small enough (currently) that dodgy decicions can pass without the same publicity they would get in the AFL or NRL.

As for getting an upper stand on the Northern Concourse, it will obviously mean extra capacity, thereby eliminating any chance of the Mariners winning a home GF then having the FFA trot out the "Sorry- grounds' too small!" excuse. Not to mention that having a roof over Bay 16 will add to the acoustics of the Y.A! :eek:verhead:

scottmac

Suspended
Thats a bit of a stretch. It implies that the FFA have decided the outcome of every GF and semi. I'm sorry but your giving them way to much credit to think that they could organise something on a scale of what you suggest

LFCMariners

I'm not saying every semi. Sydney were the better team in 2006, the Roar were the best team in 2010-11, the Tards have had the best team a few times.

What I am saying is, that the FFA have given their preferences to certain teams in certain matches, and notified officials to turn a blind eye. Holland's hand-ball and the shirt-pull on Aloi$i in the 2008 GF, the grab on Pedj leading to the Roar's equalising corner- if we had been other sides, I get the feeling these may have been picked up...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred