• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Who's Your Secret Second Team?

Ancient Mariner

I do not have a secret second team but I have a soft spot for SFC and their fans that goes back to season one when both sets of fans sang against each other and together in the Kendall bar before the game. A great night. I also have lot of friends who are hard core SFC.
Having said that there is no other team I like beating more than Sydney and I find it extremely satisfying when they struggle, but I do not hate them.

I hate the Scum for the abuse whenever I have gone there and the liquids tipped upon us from above.
I hate WSW because they are nothing but yobs, plus Rudan and Marcello.
I hate City because they belong to CFG.
I hate Melbourne because they are yobs and thugs, plus they are Victorian.
Everybody else I could not give a flying f*** about.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
secret second team ?....umm, ahh, hmmm, dont think so , maybe the Nix sorta

LFCMariners

Don’t know if I have a second team, but here’s my thoughts on the present day A-League:

CCM- Back in the old NSL days, I didn't follow the comp quite simply because there wasn't a Central Coast team to get behind (regardless of how much of a shit show the old national comp was). So, despite living in SEQ when the A-League kicked off in 2005 I was a CCM supporter from day 1. Glad to see our support (especially over the last 3-4 years) is better than ever for a club with smaller support numbers, and this has coincided with success on the pitch and more certainty about the club's future.

SFC- have friends who’ve followed SFC/ been members since Season 1. Have been to plenty of SFC games as a neutral over the years and they’ve consistently had amongst the best active support in the country. SFCU (despite the Reddit-tier cringe sensibilities of some of its posters) is usually good entertainment. I feel a familiarity with SFC similar to the kind Evertonians/ Reds on Merseyside have with each other, but without the feeling that it's a real rivalry like they have with Melbourne/ WSW or we do with the Jest.

Brisbane- also have friends who support the Roar and lived in Brisbane during Ange's reign + enjoyed watching the entertaining, open attacking football they played, which raised the standard of the A-League as a whole (even if they were a thorn in the side of CCM for a while there). These days I view them as the A-League's version of the Canberra Raiders: had a brief dynasty period where they were the standout team in the comp, won a bunch of Grand Finals and then faded into relative obscurity ever since. These days I see them as just another capital city team that plays in the A-League.

Adelaide- feel like they represent the old guard from the A-League's formative years, along with SFC and Melbourne. Beyond that and a notable dislike for Stefan Mauk, they just feel like Capital City A-League team: Red version.

Perth- their successful days were during the NSL era, so before my time. I have little feeling towards them (enjoyed the away trip to see them play CCM back in 2010 though). Otherwise they are Capital City A-League team: Purple version.

Wellington- arguably the least offensive team in the league? There's always been a likeable underdog quality to them. Getting destroyed 8-2 at home was actually kind of hilarious, NGL.

Macarthur- don't know anybody who supports them, shit crowds, annoying cowbell, seem to benefit from bad officiating calls at our expense whenever they play up here. I somehow find them both soulless and annoying at the same time.

Jest- the original hated enemy, from the days when they were regular finals contenders, had Sack Whack as their leading man and The Squadron was a bogan sausage fest of Football Factory wannabees. They were so easy to despise. In more recent times the rivalry feels more like it's based simply on geography than anything else, The Squadron is no more and has morphed into Terrace Novacastria and the old guard have apparently walked away because it's like U/18's daycare now. The club itself is too pitiful to really despise these days- closer to morbid entertainment for neutral observers than anything else. Still love the away trips but.

WSW- probably dislike them more than the Jest. Any number of players (and a current manager) who are just complete wankers, and that's not saying anything about the try-hard fully sick ultras that constitutes a hefty number of their support base. There's passion for your club, and then there's carrying on like the most cringeworthy and obnoxious caricature of a football diehard that you can think of- and it's them. The two images that epitomise WSW and their fanbase for me are:

a) That photo from 2013 GF day of a bunch of their fans all standing there with their fresh jerseys, faces painted, proudly holding a banner saying 'AGAINST MODERN FOOTBALL'. Excuse me while I look this photo up again for a laugh (because you'd better believe I saved it).....oh yeah- when it posted to Twitter, they included the hashtags #gettingreadytosmashthemariners and (wait for it) #westiehools. Ha. Haha. Hahaha. Hahahahahahahahahaha.

b) That tifo that read 'FIGHT LIKE YOUR FANS'. They really are the A-League equivalent of Canterbury Bulldogs fans in the early 2000's.

Seeing the internal strife that lingers around that joint off the pitch, and seeing them fail on it, is schadenfreude at its' finest, schadenfreude that it feels like the rest of the A-League fanbases all laugh at collectively.

Western United- I sometimes have these moments where I remember they actually won the Grand Final recently, and I have a minor moment of shock every time. Like WTF- they've been Champions before? I find them that bland and forgettable. Along with Macarthur, their admission was dodgy and (silverware aside) everything since their admission suggests the powers-that-be got it wrong with expansion. We really should've just admitted South Melbourne instead.

Melbourne City- while (like PSG, Newcastle United and their parent club) I despise the ownership of Melbourne City and everything they represent to the modern game, I find the actual team and the fanbase quite...indifferent? They're just the other team in Melbourne, but plastic and with a smaller (less offensive) supporter base. They fall into the Western United/ Macarthur I-don't-really-give-a-shit bracket.

Who have I forgotten?

Oh. Excuse me while I go take a crap, feels appropriate...

Melbourne Victory- What can I say about this lot that's positive? Well...they've always drawn great crowd numbers, and that super cute brunette I chatted with on the tram in the Arsenal jacket back in 2009 was also a match-going Victory supporter.

That's about it.

Besides that?

Pretty much everything I already said about WSW, except the vast majority of their fanbase prefers AFL to NRL, and the media has (virtually since Day 1) circle-jerked over them endlessly, which makes them even more obnoxious. They're like that no-good kid from your highschool who constantly got into fights and bullied other students but was considered the golden boy/ girl because their parents were well-connected and got on great with the school principal.

Last edited:

yellowcake

Slowly over the last 18 years I've most warmed to Sydney FC. There's all sorts of historical reasons not to but their supporters have consistently been proud and passionate, insightful, fun and funny. And generally they don't really hate us!
Their perspective of Grand Final night warms my heart...
https://forum.sfcu.com.au/t/a-league-men-finals-thread/1663/614
Read replies 444 - 611. (Thank you for the loan of the Lizard Men ;D)

And I do quite enjoy going to their stadium.

LFCMariners

Slowly over the last 18 years I've most warmed to Sydney FC. There's all sorts of historical reasons not to but their supporters have consistently been proud and passionate, insightful, fun and funny. And generally they don't really hate us!

Favourite quote from that thread:

> Top 2 NSW teams beating top 2 VIC teams 6-1 in finals. Love the symmetry.

Big Dog

Great read. Thanks for sharing

bikinigirl

. sadly, I have to admit my second team is CCM Womens

. there is history, relationships and shared experiences with the men's team that I can't possibly have with the girls ... yet

. so - if through some scheduling brilliance the girls and boys are playing at the same time ... the blokes will get priority

Ironbark

. there is history, relationships and shared experiences with the men's team that I can't possibly have with the girls ... yet

. so - if through some scheduling brilliance the girls and boys are playing at the same time ... the blokes will get priority
Actually - I'm going to change my answer to this. Close second, but only based on watching priority too

Big Dog

Well it's kind of Brisbane although I don't have a second team. They were my first team before moving to the Coast. The Ange years were a gift. I used to go to some of his training sessions and loved the way the Roar played. Was behind the goal for the Partalu goal (sorry everyone). What an atmosphere there was that day.

I used to go to the Boxing Day game each year for Roar vs Gold Coast. It was a family event. Harbour Town for the Boxing Day sales and then the train to Robina for the local derby. It's these little traditions around certain events that attract families I think. Would love Mariners to think a bit deeper around this.

Decided to follow Mariners from day 1 here and what a tough gig that was. Bottom of the table on a regular basis. Always loved the stadium and the event that each game was though. And well, have been rewarded with the past four years. Not much will top our 2023 Grand Final win and hopefully we can be regular finals contenders moving forward.

yellowcake

I'd be CCM Mens and Womens both at 1 - although I'd agree ALM would be prioritised in a clash (but even then ALW live at home v ALM on TV away might have to be decided on opponent / match importance merits...)

I'll stick with my SST for both. Gotta love Ms Vine and Princess.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Oh Jeez...

Well, I'm in Melbourne, so it would be great if I picked one of these 3 teams for my 2nd. But...

Western United - what an absolute joke of an inclusion they are. They have even less soul than City.

I kind of feel for City a bit. Their fans usually aren't too poorly behaved but they're hated on for their club, and it sucks to have gone through the journey they did - though, like literally every single expansion club we've had (except for MAYBE Wellington), they were done wrong. While I completely respect fans jumping ship because MV fans are f**kheads, 'not Melbourne Victory' just isn't enough of a club identity. They really needed to be tied to a region. No, not like Compass Point United.

Brings me to Victory. Honestly, I hate this club more than the jets. The club itself, I don't care much for, though they're still tarnished with the long history with Musc**t. Their fans are cooked and they always have been. OSM are the biggest flogs in the league and any supporters group trying to bring in this tryhard ultraz bullshit can f**k off. Yes, that includes you, RBB.

Sydney.....I'd probably have supported them if CCM didn't exist, I've enjoyed going to their home games but...y'know...they're Sydney.

I'm sympathetic towards Nix, mainly because I can relate to any club where everybody says they shouldn't be in the league. When I think about which other club I'd most like to see do well, I'd pick Nix, I think.

Adelaide....used to kind of like them, but too much diving for too many years.

I'd like to see Perth do well. too I'm sympathetic to a club that hasn't had a lot of success, and they've never had too much of a dickhead element, either on or off the field.

I do not have a secret second team but I have a soft spot for SFC and their fans that goes back to season one when both sets of fans sang against each other and together in the Kendall bar before the game. A great night. I also have lot of friends who are hard core SFC.
The Marinators and The Cove had a great relationship at the start, even playing matches against each other. And our matches with Sydney have often been some pretty epic clashes. Honestly, onfield you'd think our rivalry would be with Sydney, not Jets from the way the games go.

Liam

Don’t mind the Nix and AUFC both alright and don’t have anyone that I don’t like actually Adelaide have Nestroy but nah probs Adelaide and nix

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred