• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Whole crowd geeup involvement

Gratis

Forum Phoenix I thought nailed it on the head regarding getting the whole crowd involved in noise-making support and it's gotten me thinking.

There's so many reasons why this is worthwhile:
-It is a family based crowd so supporter bays will never be dominant
-The atmosphere created and the sense of involvement will engage solidly leading to larger and more consistent attendances
-Substantial 12th man effect
-kids love this sort of thing
just to name a few.

So here's what I'm thinking.
1) decide on a handful of chants that are simple, catchy and motivating. (Also maybe a drum or some such to set the beat and tone?)
2) work out a few methods of educating the local crowd at the games - either pamphlets as FP suggested, or maybe have the words run across the bottom of the big screen, or for the simpler ones banners around the stadium. Or all of the above. Ideas?
Do this for the first few games, it won't take long til everyone gets it anyway.
3) talk to CCM promotion staff about supporting and maybe producing the materials. I reckon I can do some convincing of the club on this, as can anyone with connections at CCM of course

To point 1, kicking off some chant ideas-
'Mighty Mighty Mariners' to the beat of 1-2, 1-2, 1-2-3

ExiledMariner

I'm surprised Yellow Football team hasn't caught on more with the families. I usually find myself singing it for days after a match.

Gratis

on second thoughts they could practice them during pre- and half-time using the screen and announcer rather than pamphlets etc

Ancient Mariner

First thing stop the ground announcer saying "Let's hear it for your team".

It is so cringeworthy as to be unbelievable.

Guaranteed to stop anyone starting or joining a chant because they see what an idiot he sounds like and are scared of sounding the same.

If you want the whole ground you need a song. Not something trendy or even club related.
Think of "Blowing Bubbles" (West Ham), "Never Walk Alone" (Liverpool)etc.

Something everyone can sing along to, but ours alone. I think "Yellow football Team" has had its day and is not quite right.

Sydney have their version of "Hey Jude", Spirit used to have "Twist and Shout".

It will need to start in one bay and then spread throughout the ground. Unfortunately this will not happen until the ground is close to full and there is continuity between the Bays.

Get Bay 16 working and wait. These things can not be forced.

true believer

i like this.i'll be happy to sing in bay 8.

i think an idea would be to come up with a few songs. get the crowd together in bay 16 for this.
record it.then put it on youtube with the words added underneath as the song is sung.
if the sound quality is crap .then maybe a few people could get together and sing it in a hall. or whatever and dub it over the top(im not a sound and vision guy).

some of you kiddies are f'n brilliant and i believe could pull something like this off.

anyway thats my two cents

MrCelery

I may be jaded, but the only chant that has the remote chance of success is:

"Mariners, clap, clap, clap"

The Bay 16 chants may be superior musically, but they are too complicated for the mums, dads, and kids.

And I question our demographic for building anything substantial such as you see in Sydney or Melbourne.

We are more 'American WASP' than 'European hooligan'.

And the day rap or 'Gangnam Style' becomes our signature tune is the day I never come back! :eek:verhead:

Jesus

Jesus
crowd will get in on mariners clap clap clap, but dont think much more.

if u want mroe noise in the stadium it basically starts and finishes with bay16.

Announcer calling chants is cringeworthy

LFCMariners

'Sailing'- Rod Stewart.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ooq7WPqd5s

The older members of the crowd will know this one off by heart, it has those long, emotive, drawn out vocals and it fits very nicely with our image as the Mariners- the people of the sea.

Plus we can change the chorus to 'No one rates us- we don't care!' on away trips :eek:verhead:

nebakke

I think there's a point with the demographic. I know I've talked to people who actively discourage the people they go with (family, friends etc) from noise making because they've gotten this strange idea in their heads that the noisy support will lead to hooliganism (I know, I know - it's the strangest of leaps of logic - but that's what they think).
If the couple of people I've heard that from, are anywhere near representative of the family groups (other than mine obviously :) ), it's no marvel we can't get a chant going and it'll probably be hard to do anything about it.
I like the idea of the pamphlets at least, though... Might be worth a try, if some relatively easy chants could be identified. Especially for the New Years eve game - Almost full stadium would make it a bit easier, combined with the party atmosphere, might make it easier to get people chanting. Once they've then done it, it might be easier to keep them at it for future games...
Might be worth trying for the Sydney home game too ;)

iEatHands

I think there's a point with the demographic. I know I've talked to people who actively discourage the people they go with (family, friends etc) from noise making because they've gotten this strange idea in their heads that the noisy support will lead to hooliganism (I know, I know - it's the strangest of leaps of logic - but that's what they think).
I think you've hit the nail on the head.

Back when the Home bay was on the same side as the away bay, I used to sit a couple of bays away and would always get a ear full from some of the people near me about how they should "Just shuttup!!"... They really seemed to hate the drum and songs.

dibo

Spectators vs supporters - there are people who really like atmosphere, they like songs, they like the buzz... as long as it's coming through the telly and not near them.

Live sport is about the roar, not a murmur. *Loud* football support is visceral. It runs up the back of your spine and makes the hairs on the back of your neck tingle. It's intense. It's *not* comfortable and relaxed. You're not meant to passively enjoy it. You're meant to be spurred on by it, it's a challenge rather than a serenade.

MrCelery

Spectators vs supporters - there are people who really like atmosphere, they like songs, they like the buzz... as long as it's coming through the telly and not near them.

Live sport is about the roar, not a murmur. *Loud* football support is visceral. It runs up the back of your spine and makes the hairs on the back of your neck tingle. It's intense. It's *not* comfortable and relaxed. You're not meant to passively enjoy it. You're meant to be spurred on by it, it's a challenge rather than a serenade.

Horses for courses, Dibo.

I remember the days when the Newcastle KB United 'Rowdies' vocal group changed bays. All we got were complaints to the Club from those who prefer to sit in silence, eat their Sao biscuits, and sip their cup of tea. A goal was rewarded by a polite clap from them. They paid their money and felt entitled to watch without the noisy element nearby. To them it was a distraction to watching the game, and sometimes viewed as a potential hooligan threat.

I agree with your 'gladiator' view of live sport. I regard the 'passive' supporting as being a bit pointless in that you may as well sit at home watching on telly.

Forum Phoenix

Love the initiative GrA, unfortunately threads like this I've seen in the past can tend to be pretty disappointing. Personally I think it's absurd to say something will never work, or will be a certain way unless you have tried it. Maybe right may fail or suck or what have you. But only then do you genuinely know. You just have to have the balls to be willing to fail. I can live with failing.

Jesus, the announcer is already cringeworthy, and your probably not wrong, but if I had to put up with a few weeks of added cringe to help get the crowd more active in their support I would only too happily suffer it.

As to "If you want more noise starts and finishes with the bay" that's just a total load of crap. A good chunk of the stadium already gets involved in 3 clap, Is this because 3 clap and only 3 clap has a special place in everyones hearts that could never be replicated? Are they so enamoured by this one chant they could never dare spend a few moments with another?

By chanting anything, they have proven that they can and will chant, If it's simple enough, and they feel comfortable enough - ie know it well enough. The challenge is just to find a few chants which go close to 3 clap in simplicity and application, but would provide some variation.

When I start chants, it's always the KIDS fairly far and wide who most eagerly join in. If we want a different culture, whinging does nothing, doing nothing definitely does nothing, we just need to plant some seeds now by showing a little bit of initiative and bravery and then patience. I can't for the life of me see why anybody wouldn't want to get behind that?

I do agree with ancient that things cannot be forced, but people most certainly can be encouraged. 3 clap, despised by some as it maybe, tedious and overworked as it can be, CAN, also ROCK the stadium at times and even help the team and hurt the opposition. In the HAL away games I have been to, I have yet to hear anyone else even come close to having the same chant sung across the whole stadium. Do that with the three or four chants? And we would stand head and shoulders above other club supporters in the HAL and be a serious twelfth man.

Surely that's something worth aspiring too? Even if it may mean looking a little stupid for awhile or putting up with some "cringe"

3 clap falls on its face sometimes too, but i'll tell often it's because it's simply over used because of a lack of other choice to get the crowd going. So GrA is right, why not do something about it?

It also might help create a culture where active support and the bay would be normalised and not "hoolaganised" in people eyes and then maybe they'd let their kids go and join and we'd see the numbers swell.

Or not.

But not like there's a hell of a lot to lose is there? ???

Good thread GrA, I'm willing to help get something going, and the one thing I would ask of those who are not into it, is atleast don;t go around branding it as "lame" as that could be one thing that would help kill it.

MrCelery

Sorry for reminiscing again, but one thing that did work in the old Newcastle Breakers days was an old European (Italian I think) guy in the centre of the main stand. He had excellent timing and only stood up and started chanting and clapping (initially on his own and very loudly) when there was something worth cheering. He was totally fearless, and not scared to look a 'goose', and he broke the ice to get the crowd joining in. It was never more than "Breakers, clap, clap, clap" as he understood that anything more complicated would have not worked. Most of the Sao-munching set thought of him as a lovable nutcase. But hey, it worked.

Bladesman

I have to say I think the bay has done a good job of trying to create an atmosphere over the years but it is certainly hard in an open stadium like ours. I also agree that the 3 clap seems to be the one which gets everyone joining in and the kids seem to get that one easy.

maybe we need to get the kids involved in creating the chants and then getting them to learn them using things like you tube and Facebook to learn them.

if the club could put up a good prize, the videos of the chants get posted on you tube or face book, promote via the big screen for a few games the 3 with the most likes then make it too a chant off. The chant which is sung the loudest at the game wins the prize.

this way hopefully we could get a wider involvement and give people a reason and way to get involved.

style_cafe

Some great ideas above.

I think FP said the kids are the ones that get it going which is very true.So why not harness this?

A competition between schools at the home matches.
Reserve say 2 Bays.one on the east side one on the west.Give the schools say 3 favourite chants.Then let them battle acrooss the field at each other.The school could be represented by the kids ,teachers, mums & dads.
The loudest school wins.
Throw in a few prizes add a cash incentive of a few grand & there you have it.
Winners go on to the next round.

Simple as that... :popcorn:

Julz

I think you should do something with "Some Time" sung by the band Fun. Its got drums which I love. When I hear it I get goosebumps thinking of it sung at Bluetongue
Some of the words that you could use from the song
What do I stand for
What do I stand for
or
This is it boys
This is war
What are we waiting for
Have a listen to it

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors