• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Who should the Yellow Army model their support on?

LFCMariners

Some supporter groups (like the RBB and the BWB) have adopted a distinctly European style to their active support. Although the colour, noise and activity of their displays is impressive and great for the highlights reels, it has caused well-documented problems with security and even bans on tifo pullovers because some people can't resist the temptation to rip a flare underneath. Other groups like The Shed and The Den have a more English style of support. Good to listen to when they are big in number and in full-voice, it can be a bit boring and disorganised at other times. Special mention also to the RCC for their distinctive, Latin American slant on active support.

In more recent weeks the Yellow Army has shown more organisation, noise and flair than it has for some time, which is a positive sign. From here we could adopt the style of one of the bigger supporter groups, however both the popular styles (European/ English) have their drawbacks. I don't think anybody involved in the Yellow Army wants ho-hum active support, but neither do we want a reputation as wannabee ultras and the extra policing+ hatred of opposition supporters that comes with it. My belief is that the Yellow Army should make up for its' lack of numbers (compared to groups like the Cove, the RBB and the BWB) by differentiating ourselves in style from any other supporters group in the A-League. Can we be known as a colourful, passionate support group AND be respected by opposition fans? I say we can do it- and it is already being done. Where, you ask?

The answer is Japan. Practically every travelling group of Japanese supporters to have come over have demonstrated outstanding voice, colour, passion, and an organisation to their support that is on the level of a military parade. The Kashiwa supporters last night, although out-numbered, were brilliant. Having been to Suncorp last year, I remember well how even standing next to The Den, the FC Tokyo fans could be heard clearly from the other end of the ground. The Urawa Red Diamonds (as far as I am aware) are the only away supporters' group to have out-sung the Cove at the SFS.

Not only do the Japanese sing and have a strongly encouraged (but not enforced) "If you stand with us you sing with us" attitude to their support, but their reputation is exemplary. I have yet to hear any negative stories about the behaviour of J-League supporters while over here. Even when they have handed an A-League sides' arse to them on a platter, they have been polite and well-organised.

I think if the Yellow Army models itself on J-League support (but on a smaller scale) we could be the active support equivalent of our team- not the biggest numbers or resources, but a group to be reckoned with who punch above their weight. And respected by our opposition.

Thoughts?

finally retired

I like this....when I saw the title I instantly thought it was going to be about the RBB.....
the Kashiwa supporters last night were quite noisy (I say noisy rather than vocal because quite a few of their chants did not seem to have words). I was much closer to them than YA last night, and noticed that some locals even hummed or "la-la-laaaad" or whatever it was with them, because their noise and drum was catchy. they also seemed to have multiple megaphones :)

LFCMariners

No, this thread is not about the RBB. No supporters group in the history of world football ever has, or ever will be, as loud or as passionate as the RBB.

RBB> The Kop/ Besiktas fans/ Barcelona fans/ Galattasaray fans/ Lazio Ultras/ Celtic fans etc.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
good thread LFC...I've seen Kashima Antlers support going at it hammer and tongs singing for their team, then being invited to partake of some jap beer afterwards and I think the YA basing themselves on J-League supporter bases is the way to go..polite, organised, friendly and LOUD as F**K

Blair

You think we could even do a sister supports club if we reach out to a j league club.

LFCMariners

No, I was taking the piss, of course.

Gosford is still the sister city to Edogawa, I believe? Who is their local team?

FFC Mariner

Can I suggest we don't model our active support on anyone else?

8 years
1 pre season cup
2 league titles
2 NYL titles
1 Finals series win
Etc etc

We have earned the right to stand tall, we are the Mariners, we will build our own style.

Let anyone else criticise.

No one likes us, we don't care.

Blair

I agree but what ever we do it's going to be compared. So why not in a positive way.

priorpeter

It's something I've been discussing with various people involved with active support but I'm definitely keen to get as much feedback as possible; this will be a fairly interesting thread. I like the J-league idea but just to give my personal view - I don't want to be pigeonholed to any one style of support. We've had the 'European ultras' vs 'Classic UK' style debate in the past and I think taking elements from various areas is probably the best way to go as no-one will ever agree on one style. Throw some South American elements in there, some J-League, UK and European and - Bam. Yellow Army style.

Wombat

It's something I've been discussing with various people involved with active support but I'm definitely keen to get as much feedback as possible; this will be a fairly interesting thread. I like the J-league idea but just to give my personal view - I don't want to be pigeonholed to any one style of support. We've had the 'European ultras' vs 'Classic UK' style debate in the past and I think taking elements from various areas is probably the best way to go as no-one will ever agree on one style. Throw some South American elements in there, some J-League, UK and European and - Bam. Yellow Army style.

You are da boss Big Man....we stand with you.

YA support has been excellent in second half of the season and its rubbing off on some of the mutes in bay 17 and 18.

nebakke

What're the Sheffield supporters like?
I mean, considering the seemingly, strong relationship to the blades, would it not be worth seeing whether any advantage could be drawn on the supporters front? Perhaps in combination with Chengdu as well? - That'd be combining at least two supporting styles there - together with out own... And arguably we could justify the link as well ;)
For starters, they're bound to have a Monty chant or two, that we could borrow ;)

Forum Phoenix

Model_Support_Of_4b3b3c839152c.jpg

Trying to think outside the box and all that...

RichardB43

Can I suggest we don't model our active support on anyone else?

8 years
1 pre season cup
2 league titles
2 NYL titles
1 Finals series win
Etc etc

We have earned the right to stand tall, we are the Mariners, we will build our own style.

Let anyone else criticise.

No one likes us, we don't care.
No one here is disputing we have the best team to support. But our support is not anywhere near the standard of our team. Whenever I bring friends to watch I usually apologise FM the embarssingly small, pathetic support group. Why not expect support and comktmsnt equal to that our players give?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred