• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Who is our vice-vice-captain?

cbowden9000

Hypothetical situation: Wilko isn't in the match-day squad due to injury/suspension. Doig comes in as his direct replacement and the rest of our starting line-up remains the same. The question is, with Hutch on the bench these days, who takes up the role of captain?

cbowden9000

dutchy i could only imagine

Yes, I would guess Zwaanswijk also, but it's funny that there's really no obvious choice. The captaincy isn't usually given to someone in their first year, but none of our players that were with us last year and are in our starting line-up(Simon, McGlinchey and Bojic) look like leaders. It's an interesting situation.

style_cafe

Bikinigirl & Spike
If that`s the case & he can communicate effectively then I think he would be great as a captain.He certainly has the ability & respect of the other players.

the J Man

zwaanswijk you'd think would be the obvious chioce .but with 2 yellow cards, for bad mouthing the ref.
i'd give it to big mac.likes a chat without getting carded.

Wombat

Dutchy and Doig are the natural leaders. I'd go with Dutchy. Maybe Rostyn with another season under his belt.

Redshirt

I would imagine they are just the leader on the field - the person who if they speak up to the players, the players listen and follow. I think it would just be a recognition thing for the player with the most respect from the team... but then i'm sure it would be different between a captain who is a defender and an attacking one... Fowler for example I'm sure would be instrumental in who takes the free kicks, what is to be done in set plays etc.

midfielder

In the past my guess it has been Hutch ... today I think Perez will finish up as our VC calling the plays he wants from the centre of the park...

cbowden9000

It couldn't be Perez, surely. He isn't the loud, vocal type, and that's before his English barrier.

I think that Griffiths would make a great captain/vice captain in a season or two. Big, vocal, Aussie, box-to-box player so can convey information to everyone, and in a holding position to help rally the defence.

I think if the situation arose this season it would be Zwaanswijk.

scottmac

Suspended
Matt Simon.

He is just inspiring, he doesn't need to say anything.

But I agree with swan district doing the job

midfielder

It couldn't be Perez, surely. He isn't the loud, vocal type, and that's before his English barrier.

I think that Griffiths would make a great captain/vice captain in a season or two. Big, vocal, Aussie, box-to-box player so can convey information to everyone, and in a holding position to help rally the defence.

Sorta agree ... however so much of our play will be build around Perez hard to see him not calling the shots in attack ... but like all good 10's goes missing in defence at times...

Griffiths is always calling for the ball and a natural at directing play so agree with you...

The backs are all good at calling players around them ... in all teams I have played with everyone calls....

I remember a couple of years ago we had a NSL player of some standing over a number of years in our senior O 35 team... and by chance because of injury I played in the senior team most of the season ... I played a stopper type role and often called this guy to say drop right 5 meters, go left, look for number 10 .. he always followed the call of players behind him and part of being a strong defensive team is the ability of players to call danger as they see it and for those in front to react... My guess is Dutchy Wilko Diog & Rose are all excellent at calling defensive plays .. the next step up is to call the attacking plays from the back and IMO Griffiths is the best at calling attacking plays...

Should be good watching these things develop over time...

Bex

Perez has a lot of work to do before he can claim a leadership role. The first thing is to start at least a few games in a row and then the second thing is to demonstrate the skill which he seems to have and for the team to convert that into goals consistently.

style_cafe

Something I've always wanted to know...

With the coach yelling instructions and tactics from the sidelines - what does the captain actually do? What value does he add? (Apart from being a contact point for the ref.).
He also gets to lead the team on the field &(the fun part) he tosses the coin to pick the kick-off or direction the team runs...

Wombat

Is Griffiths an Aussie? Sounds like a Pom on telly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred