• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Who Are The Best Five Players You've Ever Seen?

marinersman

In order, mine are:
1. Maradona - I can't imagine anybody ever topping the great man. Platini was once quoted as saying that he could do more with an orange than Zidane could do with a football.
2. Ronaldinho - Made the best defenders in the world look silly running at them. The most outrageous skills on the ball I've seen.
3. Ronaldo the Brazillian - At Barca was at the peak of his game. Google him to see the ridiculous goals he scored.
4. Messi - Over time will become number two to Maradona. Incredible skills and passing game and scores as well as he sets up goals. The hearbeat of the best team in the world in Barca.
5. Zidane - Midfield genius and the shining star along with Raul of the galacticos of the start of the century.

Arabmariner

You've seen all them live ?

Or do you just mean players you've seen on the telly  ;)

If you mean on the telly none of them come within a ball hair of Pele imo.

tuftman

having never seen Pele or Maradona play they're excluded from my list.(I'm just talking what I've seen on TV basically)

5. Ronaldinho- 05 and 06 where just out of this world, faded and jaded now. But still clearly a muchly sought after player

4. The Real Ronaldo- did he really have an epileptic fit prior to the 1998 World Cup final? Scored (some totally unreal) goals wherever he played, and whose name is almost synonymous with Brazilian football

3. Leo Messi- Of all the Argentines dubbed 'the new Maradona', Messi seems to be the one to finally be just that. His runs have wreaked havoc in both La Liga and increasingly now Europe. Will almost certainly be named World Player of the year this year.

2. Theirry Henry- IMHO never recognised enough for his contribution to Arsenal as a team. At his best, absolutely mind-blowing.

1. Zizou- Also my favourite player of all time, he had it all. Flair, vision and influence on every team he played in. World Cup winner, European and World Player of the year, and (I think it still is) the worlds most expensive transfer fee, when Real went through the galacticos phase and got him from Juve

marinersman

Arabmariner said:
You've seen all them live ?

Or do you just mean players you've seen on the telly  ;)

If you mean on the telly none of them come within a ball hair of Pele imo.

Live or on tele. I haven't seen enough of Pele (on tele) to say he was better than Maradona. On my list, I've seen them all live except for Messi.

Auburn Mariner

Jeez, these are big calls:

1. Johann Cruyff - his performances in West Germany got Holland to the Finals almost on his own. Brilliant, sublime, gifted.

2. George Best - should be number 1 but threw away his legendary talent for champagne and skirt. The best British Isles player of all time.

3. Peter Schmeichel - just outrageous for Manchester United and Denmark.

4. Lionel Messi - already in the best Argentinian XI of all time. His performance at the MCG showed me how good he really is.

5. Tie between Zizou and the sublime Trevor Brooking. Growing up watching Match of the Day was always special when West Ham United were on. Brooking usually provided a master-class. Zidane, what can I say, check out the famous left-foot volley in the European Cup as evidence.

Other notables include Socrates, George Weah (the greatest African player of all time), Hristo Stoichkov (Google the 94 World Cup games at the Meadowlands in East Rutherford, NJ and witness the Bulgarians's brilliance), Ronaldo, Der Kaiser and Marco van Basten.

Maradona is permanently stained in my eyes because he is a proven druggie and for the Hand of God farce at the Azteca.

Speaking to some of the South American cleaners here at work, they reckon Pele, Garrincha and Alfredo Di Stefano were the best. Ferenc Puskas also rates a mention.

BigNuts

I haven't watched too much classic football to say with any certainty that players of old were better than current players, but my top five players I have seen would be:

1. Cristiano Ronaldo
2. Ronaldinho
3. Eric Cantona
4. Ryan Giggs
5. Francesco Totti

Sacko

My "Live" 5 [I've resisted the urge to put any / all West Ham players]

Gazza
Eric c**tona
Kenny Dalglish
Glenn Hoddle
Rudd Gullit

serious14

Live:

i). Messi (it might have been the Olympics, but to have the privilege of watching him single handedly tear _BRAZIL_ to shreds..... not something I will forget anytime soon)

ii). Ronaldinho (his team might have been a bit average that night, but deep down inside, somewhere, he's still go it.  To see outskill Messi, then have Messi steal the ball and then chase each other down the wing right infront of me..... you don't forget that sort of thing quickly. Or ever)

iii). Juan Roman Riquelme (I have never seen someone dictate a game from the No. 10 position as efficiently and effortlessly as he does.  Takes a mean free kick too)

iv). Kewell (when he wants to perform, no-one in Australia (and many other countries) can touch him for skill, subtlety, and that game turning "f*ck yeah, I'm awesome* swagger.

v). Raul (this was back in 2000, y'know, when he ruled all)

On the televisual device:

i). Maradona - cannot be beaten. I've also seen him live, but he was in the stands following Argentina.... looked damn near ready to jump on the field himself though.  A certified nutter, but no other football of his generation could touch him.

ii). Alessandro del Piero - I liked football when I was a young kid, I played it, we had kick arounds at school and whatever, my grandfather had introduced me to Man U and all that, so it was clear where my sporting life was going, but I didn't realise the sheer majesty of the game and it's beautiful potential until I saw this man play when we first got SBS in Tamworth (dark ages, I know).  The single reason I care about Juventus in any capacity - but without a doubt, my all time favourite player.  Takes a _mean_ free kick too.

iii). Giggs - a bit biased perhaps, but I can barely remember a time before any Man U game had him involved in it. Forever enshrined in the Hall of Legends for that goal in the '99 FA Cup Semi Final Replay and slotting the winning penalty in Moscow.  Will be sorely missed when he retires.

iv). George Best - only ever seen old Man U footage of him, but really, what needs to be said??

v). Puskas/Di Stefano - again, going back a ways, but the sheer amount of goals that these two scored together for Madrid, and the often taking-the-piss manner in which they did it.... hasn't really been a strike partnership since to match them.  Sublime to watch.

Arabmariner

Live:

In no particular order:

1.George Best (past it he was but I did see him.....playing for Hibs!)
2.Kenny Dalglish
3.Jim Baxter
4.Maradona (1st time he was  a 17 yr old, I think. At Hampden.Unbelievable)
5.Franz Beckenbauer

How I wish Scotland could produce another number 2 or 3 again *sigh*

On Telly:

1.Pele (by a home straight)
2.Johann Cruyff
3.Maradona
4.George Best
5.Thierry Henry

Honourable mention to Eusabio.

I'd love to see the likes of Messi go back in time and play in Pele's era and see how he would cope.Pele played at a time when hatchet men were rife in international (and South American) football and were allowed to get away with ridiculous tackles with little or no punishment.In 1966 he was virtually kicked out of the World Cup.

I'd also love to see the reverse and see Pele play in todays era where teams can't play the out and out thugs whose sole aim is to stop a ball player by any means possible.

I'll stop now before I go and change my mind and name the whole 1970 Brazilian team..........Jarziniho, Rivelino, Alberto, Pele, Tostao..........as kids that summer we used to pretend to be those blokes lol!

Arabmariner

Auburn Mariner said:
1. Johann Cruyff - his performances in West Germany & Argentina got Holland to the Finals almost on his own.

3. Peter Schmeichel

Maradona is permanently stained in my eyes because he is a proven druggie and for the Hand of God farce at the Azteca.
Sorry Auburn but I must pull you into line here......

1.Cruyff didn't go to Argentina.......sorry for being a smart arse...  ;)

2.Goalies don't count.They're only there because they're not good enough to get a game otherwise!

3.Maradona's reputation was not stained as a result of the "hand of god" incident.It in fact made him a living legend....in some parts of the world anyway!! ;D

midfielder

Marinersman

Love this kind of stuff

The seen live .. well I must confess it has only been in Australia & when I worked in NZ & USA as an expat so my seeing live are limited in the main to Socceroo matches.

However for me personally seeing live is Kool, Recoba,  Zidane, Beckham, Bozza.

Now watching on TV .. Pele / Best / Maradonna / from here it is very hard .. so many and to choose from Riquelme / Schmeichel

hasbeen

Arabmariner said:
Live:

In no particular order:

2.Kenny Dalglish
3.Jim Baxter
5.Franz Beckenbauer

On Telly:

2.Johann Cruyff
3.Maradona
4.George Best
5.Thierry Henry

I'd love to see the likes of Messi go back in time and play in Pele's era and see how he would cope.Pele played at a time when hatchet men were rife in international (and South American) football and were allowed to get away with ridiculous tackles with little or no punishment.In 1966 he was virtually kicked out of the World Cup.

I'd also love to see the reverse and see Pele play in todays era where teams can't play the out and out thugs whose sole aim is to stop a ball player by any means possible.

I'll stop now before I go and change my mind and name the whole 1970 Brazilian team..........Jarziniho, Rivelino, Alberto, Pele, Tostao..........as kids that summer we used to pretend to be those blokes lol!

Jim Baxter eh? I saw him play for Forest v Leeds in the late 60's and he was the best on the park by a mile ... (and I'm a Leeds supporter)

Arabmariner

hasbeen said:
Arabmariner said:
Live:

In no particular order:

2.Kenny Dalglish
3.Jim Baxter
5.Franz Beckenbauer

On Telly:

2.Johann Cruyff
3.Maradona
4.George Best
5.Thierry Henry

Jim Baxter eh? I saw him play for Forest v Leeds in the late 60's and he was the best on the park by a mile ... (and I'm a Leeds supporter)
The man who sat on the ball at Wembley because no one would try and take it off him.

The man who played keepie-up at Wembley in 1967 when Scotland became world champions! ;D

The man Pele wished had been born in Brazil.

Played alongside the likes of Pele,Eusabio,Puskas,Gento,Di-Stefano,Denis Law,Yashin etc in a rest of the world side against England in the 60's.

An Austrian hatchetman once broke his leg because he nutmeged him (Rangers were 2 up away from home at Rapid Vienna and he was taking the piss!)

midfielder

Sacko said:
I can't believe that I'm only person to have mentioned Gazza!

ARRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrr was so good on the ball ... especially when he slowed right down and had everyone wondering what he was going to do ... Yer exceptionally talented and had a character as well .... good call 

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred